Start by marking “Anne Frank's Diary: The Graphic Adaptation” as Want to Read:
Anne Frank's Diary: The Graphic Adaptation

Anne Frank's Diary: The Graphic Adaptation

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  10,551 ratings  ·  1,527 reviews
The only graphic novelization of Anne Frank's diary that has been authorized by the Anne Frank Foundation and that uses text from the diary--it will introduce a new generation of young readers to this classic of Holocaust literature.

This adaptation of Anne Frank's Diary of a Young Girl into a graphic version for a young readership, maintains the integrity and power of
Published October 2nd 2018 by Pantheon Books (first published October 7th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Anne Frank's Diary, please sign up.
Jake I'd say grade 5 and up is good. I read the regular diary of Anne Frank when I was in grade 5 (or 6), and I think it's important to start teaching kids…moreI'd say grade 5 and up is good. I read the regular diary of Anne Frank when I was in grade 5 (or 6), and I think it's important to start teaching kids about the Holocaust at a young age.(less)
Kristina No, it's partial but it's a good summary in my opinion. The adapter Ari Folman is saying that if they were to illustrate the entire text in a graphic …moreNo, it's partial but it's a good summary in my opinion. The adapter Ari Folman is saying that if they were to illustrate the entire text in a graphic rendition it would require the better part of a decade and likely be 3500 pages long.(less)

·  10,551 ratings  ·  1,527 reviews

Start your review of Anne Frank's Diary: The Graphic Adaptation
Nat
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The only graphic novelization of Anne Frank’s diary that has been authorized by the Anne Frank Foundation and that uses text from the diary–it will introduce a new generation of young readers to this classic of Holocaust literature.

Anne Frank's Diary- The Graphic Diary 9-- bookspoils
This one isn't an easy one to quickly wrap my mind (or words) around. There's so much to be said and done that it all sits so heavy on my heart. I'll begin by mentioning that I received the opportunity to read the original Hebrew version of this book, courtesy of
Dave Schaafsma
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes, of course read the latest, updated version of The Diary of Anne Frank (there one that millions, like me, read which was edited in his favor and to his tastes by her father). But as with any dramatic or filmic (or dance) rendition of the text, a comics version of this text--authorized by the Anne Frank Foundation, adapted by Ari Folman and beautifully and playfully illustrated by David Polonsky using all the resources of sequential storytelling available to him--is welcome indeed.

What do we
Matthew

I recently listened to The Diary of Anne Frank. A co-worker suggested to me, since she knew I also like graphic novels, that I also try out this version of the story. I am glad that I decided to read it so soon after listening so I was easily able to compare the two.

While I would always recommend the original material first, I think this version did a great job using the graphic novel format. Also, maybe someone who would never take the time to read the diary directly in Anne's words might be wi
Greta G
Israeli movie director - screen writer Ari Folman and illustrator - art director David Polonsky aren’t amateurs and it shows. This is a gorgeous, brilliant adaptation of Anne Frank’s diary and I’m in awe of the result.
I have to say that I’m unable to compare it with the original diary, because I couldn’t finish it when I tried to read it as a young girl myself, and I’ve always been reluctant to try it again. At the time, I had no interest whatsoever in reading the writings of a teenage girl who
Hilary
I had doubts that a graphic novel version could in any way live up to Anne Frank's original wonderful account of her life in hiding but this was amazing and comes endorsed by the Anne Frank Foundation and when goodreads friend Lisa Vegan recommended it I knew it would be good. I loved reading Anne's diary as a teenager and feel that reading a version that didn't do the original justice would be insulting to Anne's memory.

I loved the artwork, the faces, expressions and depictions the illustrator
leynes
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here in Berlin there's a great institution (the Landeszentrale für Politische Bildung) where students can get up to five books for free every three months. So, three days ago I saw in their online catalogue that they added the graphic diary of Anne Frank to their collection. Immediately, I knew that I would take my bike to the facility and get myself this beautiful book.

I had seen the graphic adaption of this classic in bookshops before but was too chintzy to get it for myself (... I mean 20€ is
Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan
I read this book only because it’s officially approved by the Anne Frank Foundation and because it has gotten such positive reviews. Otherwise I’d have been skeptical.

There is a lovely and informative adaptor’s note on pages 148-149 in the hardcover edition at the end of the book and I decided to read it when I was part way through the book and I actually recommend reading it first, but okay to read at the end, but do read it.

It's brilliant!

The book is gorgeous! I absolutely loved the illustrat
Avani ✨
Mar 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved it !
The illustrations are so good.
Jon Nakapalau
This graphic adaptation puts you in hiding with Anne as she tries to cope with the uniquely horrible situation she finds herself in: coming of age in isolation and fear. I truly think this book adds a new perspective to her diaries and provides a visual narrative that will sharpen the diary entries in a way that has not been explored before. A heartbreaking story of hope that should never be forgotten.
But_i_thought_
Anne Frank Cover

Reading the original diary of Anne Frank as a teen was a defining moment of my (childhood) reading life — not only did it bring alive the horrors of World War II, it articulated the universal frustrations of adolescence so well — the battles with Mom, the tentative genesis of an independent worldview, the feelings of isolation, the yearning to be understood, the continual struggle against the self.

This newly illustrated edition — by film maker Ari Folman and illustrator David Polonsky — provide
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
May 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I would highly suggest you to pick up the original book first before reading the graphic novel.

This graphic novel is well adapted considering that it includes the very basic information and some of the whole Kitty diary entries.

The character presentation seems accurate and it's a whole new world different from the experience of reading the original book.

More pronounced in this adaptation are the vivid illustrations of their living conditions during those days, the characters and Anne's fears and
Neil R. Coulter
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a brilliant adaptation of Anne Frank's diary. It's no substitute for the original text, because the reader has to already know the fuller version of the book in order to really appreciate this one; but it's a tremendous companion. The illustrations are sometimes clever, sometimes gorgeous (some of the two-page spreads are completely stunning), and I can imagine that Anne herself would enjoy how her story has been brought to graphic novel form. Her humor and emotions and intellect ...more
Melissasfandomworld
WOW!

That's the first thing I want to say right now.
I'm truly impressed and in awe of the wonderful job the creators/illustrator did on this graphic novel adaptation of 'Het Achterhuis'/Anne Frank's Diary.

---

Anne Frank's story is well known all over the world. Of course, being a Dutchie and European Citizen, I've grew up learning about World War 2 and the horrors that occured as well, with Anne Frank being mentioned and talked about a lot during that education.

My grandmother was a young gir
Eva
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
-English below-
Anne spat van het papier af in deze graphic novel adaptatie van haar wereldberoemde dagboek. Grappig, springerig, vrolijk, vol humor en wijs voor het leeftijd. De twee artiesten hebben haar goed getroffen. In het begin overheerst humor ondanks de spanning. Zoals wanneer Anne omschrijft op welke fronten ze allemaal net niet zo goed is als haar zus. Of als ze kapsels van beroemde filmsterren nadoet. Hoe langer het onderduiken duurt, hoe dieper de bespiegelingen. Anne denkt na over z
Tina
This is an graphic novel adaptation of the Anne Frank's Diary. I read Anne Frank's diary when I was in High School, and I fell in love with it. Anne Frank's Diary is the reason I love historical fiction and WWII books to this day. I have to say I love the pictures in this book. I do feel that so much was left out this book, and the beginning took so long to get to the heart of this story. I just think this Graphic Adaptation fell short of being really good. (*) ...more
Cheryl
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Very moving, effective. I read the original decades ago and don't much remember it, but nonetheless I feel confident that this adaptation is true to Anne as a person and to her legacy. I don't have the right words to discuss it. All I can find to say is that I highly recommend it and will consider other works by the creators. ...more
M.  [storme reads a lot]
This is beautiful and tragic all at the same time
Teresa
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is excellent—even for someone like me who has read the original too many times to count, or maybe especially for someone like me. One day I'll probably reread this too; even looking at just the pictures is a pleasure. Folman and Polonsky have done a superb job of telling Anne’s story through their choice of scenes, as well as through the astounding, inventive images.

For anyone who's read this adaptation and hasn’t read The Diary of a Young Girl, I hope it leads you to the original. A
Rod Brown
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This very strong adaptation of one of the most famous diaries in history works best when the creators trust their instincts and use the graphic novel format to truly visualize Anne's life, thoughts and dreams. They drop in large blocks of text from Anne's diaries a few too many times, but when they actually adapt, we are given a playful and imaginative look into a life which was rich in so much even while lived in confinement and with a scarcity of supplies.

The most moving moment for me was a po
Sylvester
Anyone with doubts about the value of a graphic version of a classic book should read this one. In my mind, this is the very best of it's kind. Superlative. The way Anne's story is presented visually is beautifully imaginative and moving. I can't say enough about it. See for yourself as soon as you can. I highly recommend it. ...more
Tammy
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 ☆ I don’t normally read graphic novels but I really enjoyed this one. And of course now that I’ve read this book... I have to go back and re-watch the 1965 movie!
ally
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Em
Recommended to ally by: sora
oh yeah I forgot that I also finished this
I absolutely loved this
I loved the drawing
and the story
and I MIGHT read the actual book
I'll ask my friend if I can borrow it from her
But I love how she calls her diary kitty =^-^=
...

Beatriz Pires
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 ⭐️
What an amazing graphic diary. The history, the testimonies written by Anne, the cruelty lived at the time, the writing and the self aware Anne shows is incredible. I think the drawings were very faithfully the original version, and it will reach younger generations.
Genevieve
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read The Diary of Anne Frank a long, long time ago when I was much younger. So I'd forgotten many, if not all, the details of the book. I remember just the gist of it - family goes into hiding during WW2, deprivations suffered during that period, family gets captured just before the war ends.

Reading this graphic novel was like reading something I'd never read before. Anne's diary entries, her introspection, her assessments of everyone in the Annexe, they were all such a surprise to me. I had
Beth Bonini
The Diary of Anne Frank is a book that I vividly remember reading for the first time. Together with the 1978 miniseries Holocaust, it formed my earliest impressions of the Jewish Holocaust during World War II. Because I was very close to Anne’s age when I read her diary, I was particularly struck by the horror of her living conditions (the claustrophobia, boredom and constant fear). I tried to imagine myself coping in that situation, and I knew that I would not fare well. Her feelings - her worr ...more
Elizabeth☮
This is a beautiful book to hold. When you open it and are drawn into the world of the annex, it is so full of emotion. The images add to the text rather than detract from it. There are many pages where the image dominates and others where the text speaks for itself. The notes indicate that many parts of the diary were chunked for the sake of space, but I think this works for the format. I am so glad I read this one.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: war, graphic-novel, diary
I recently read Anne Frank's diary for the first time, and when I posted my review, several people urged me to read the graphic novel.

I'm so glad they did, and I'm glad I was able to read it.

The illustrations add vibrancy to the story. Anne imagines herself grownup and condescending toward those who were cruel toward her, and we see her as she will never be but might have been, a strong and productive woman. The hostility on the faces of those in the community toward the Jews heightens the fear
Brooke
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I haven’t read Anne Frank’s original diary in many years, so when I saw this adaptation I knew I had to pick it up. I’m glad it exists, as it will bring Anne’s story to a new set of readers; however, as mentioned in the Adapter’s Note, so much of Anne’s diary had to be left out. Due to this, I think the graphic adaptation is a fantastic starting point or accompaniment, but it can not replace the original diary.
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had forgotten all that was written and how well this diary was written. She was so young and yet wrote so well. I guess when you are going through difficult and unimaginable things it makes you grow up. I really liked the illustrations the artist did a great job. Very well done.
Bookish Jo
Mar 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
While I loved the illustrations and the beautiful imagery, I’ve read the original Diary of Anne Frank and did not feel like this did the story justice. Not appropriate for young readers either.

• Ellen T.
  • Taltuta klassikko!
  • Bæst
  • Kaverin puolesta kyselen
  • Stella och hemligheten
  • K15 lupauksia (K15, #4)
  • Pese hampaat ennen kuin pussaat
  • Kuutamo ja muita kertomuksia
  • The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel
  • Sirpale
  • White Bird
  • Formica
War
See top shelves…
Ari Folman is an Israeli film director, screenwriter and film score composer.

He witnessed the aftermath of the 1982 Sabra and Shatila massacre as a 19 year old Israeli soldier. This would serve as the basis of Waltz with Bashir. The film follows his attempt to regain his memories of the war through therapy as well as conversations with old friends and other Israelis that were present in Beirut aro