Start by marking “Malice of Crows (The Shadow, #3)” as Want to Read:
Malice of Crows (The Shadow, #3)

Malice of Crows

(The Shadow #3)

The sequel to Conspiracy of Ravens and third novel in Lila Bowen's widely-acclaimed Shadow series.

The Ranger known as Rhett has shut down a terrible enterprise running on the blood of magical folk, but failed to catch the dark alchemist behind it. And now the Shadow refuses to let him rest.

Rhett must make the ultimate transformation if he has any hope of stopping the alche
Published October 31st 2017 by Orbit

Hannah
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this series should be much more popular than it is! It’s a weird west tale with a diverse cast, a trans main character, and a great adventure. It reimagines the Wild West as a land filled with monsters: sand wyrms, sirens, vampires, chupacabras, and shifters. This is such a vivid series. The author is a mast of voice! She’s got that down perfectly in these books!! And that ending!!! Definitely going to keep with this series!
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

I received a free copy of this book courtesy of the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Malice of Crows is the third book in Bowen’s The Shadow series and follows on directly after the conclusion of the second book, Conspiracy of Ravens. The sinister alchemist and necromancer Trevisan was defeated but he managed to escape in the body of Meimei (Cora’s younger sister) and thus
Lisa Reads & Reviews
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Just not working for me. Character development feels contrived --because it should be happening instead of an organic situation. Becoming a repetitive series of travel, get attacked, fight, injury, heal, travel...Feels like just a shadow of an idea that didn't really develop into such a long story. The wit is getting tedious as monthly rags.
Rana
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my god, what? This wasn't the end? There is another book?

I mean, that's super awesome for me because I love this series but damnnnnnnnn, girl gotta find out what happens.
Shelley
*Source* Library
*Genre* Fantasy, Western
*Rating* 3.0

*Thoughts*

Malice of Crows is the third installment in The Shadow series by author Lila Bowen. Bowen's western landscape is home to some really strange supernatural beasties (Gila
monsters, gorgons, giant scorpions & spiders) as diverse as the human inhabitants. Malice picks up right where Conspiracy of Ravens left off. Rhett Walker (formerly Nettie Lonesome) is the Shadow, as well as a Durango Ranger scout who is pulled to fight evil where e
Jon Adams
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really dig this series, but this book got a bit too romantical (that should totally be a word) for me.

That being said: (view spoiler) .
liam
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this to be the strongest of the three novels in the series so far. I loved the concept when I started reading it, a Western Fantasy with Monsters set in Texas in the 19th century, just wild. I think I liked the concept more than the actual story of the first two books, there were parts in both that I felt dragged. Perhaps enough of the world and characters are established in this entry to let the wild weird world continue on its course, and I love it.
Nathan
Nov 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book summarized.
"Hey don't be an asshole!"
Is an asshole.
"Hey don't do what I tell you not to do!"
Does it.
"Hey, everyone treats me like shit!"
Treats everyone like shit.
Rinse and repeat.
Felix
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fun read that has lots of cool happenings. These books just keep getting better! I'll need 2 fingers of Rye for the next book.
Pauline Zed
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yet another wonderful (if gutting) outing to the world of Rhett Walker and his band of rogue rangers. Words are insufficient to express how much I love this series. The writing is both gorgeous and tough, the characters are vividly drawn, and the plotting twists the screws tight so I was always on the edge of my seat, wanting and dreading to find out what happens next. I'll be buying the final volume of this series on the day it's released, I can tell you that.
Caitlin
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
You win some, you lose some. This book has more relationship development, more fighting necromancer created monsters, more hunting down the necromancer. On a personal level, many of the characters are dealing with their destiny. And then at the end, the thing you were afraid might happen... happens.
Alyssa
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my god--the cliffhanger at the end of this book is going to torture me until the next in the series is out. So good but so frustrating!!!
Jennie
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
David Harris
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm grateful to the publisher for an advance copy of this book.

Following directly on from Wake of Vultures and Conspiracy of Ravens, Malice of Crows picks up Rhett Walker's story immediately after Conspiracy ends. He's defeated the necromancer Trevisan, who was using gruesome magic to control monsters like Rhett - ordinary men and women with the ability to transform into animals, both mundane and esoteric - and compel them to labour building his railroad.

Yes - Trevisan was defeated, but fleeing
NinjaMuse
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
In brief: The Shadow is calling Rhett Walker back to the Rangers and away from the immortal alchemist he’s vowed to kill—to the displeasure of Rhett’s friends and entourage. However, where the Shadow goes, trouble will always follow. Third in a series.

Thoughts: This is another solid installment in a series I wish more people were talking about. It delivers everything I’ve come to expect—a cracking good western full of gun fights and desert treks, a great fantasy adventure with cool monsters and
Jessica Creason
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For this and many other reviews, check out my blog: Meet Your New Favorite Book0

This book is AWESOME, and it's absolutely HILARIOUS! It's not often that I read a book that makes me laugh out loud like that. I love the author's sense of humor.

I didn't like the ending, but I won't talk about why and give up the book.

This was such a unique concept, and it shed a light on how people who weren't white were treated during the gold rush and when the railroads were being built.

It also explores the to
Krista
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
As always with these books, I'm not sure if this is 3.5 or 4 stars. There are lots of things that I like about them and a few things that always irritate me, maybe more than they should. One aspect that I could do with less of is the sexuality. I think it's great that these books feature characters with many different sexualities (I think the diversity here is one of the series' greatest strengths), but in this book in particular I felt that the main plot often got shoved to the background in fa ...more
Donnette
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Because the 2nd book left so much unfinished I just had to carry on and read this one. I'll probably feel compelled to read the 4th and final book in this series when it is out in October as well. I liked it, but...getting to the main problem took so long and the other problems along the way sometimes wore me out before they were resolved. I especially did not like the action at the Las Moras Ranger Camp. I loved that Rhett found some little bit of closure to wondering about his heritage, and th ...more
Rebecca
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I hope this series isn't over. The third installment of The Shadow series picks up right where the action left off in Conspiracy of Ravens. It starts with a bang and the action doesn't let up till the last page. Rhett and his growing troupe of companions race across the harsh landscape of Durango trying to track down Trevisan (the villainous necromancer [aren't they all?] who stole Cora's sister's body) and stay alive in the process. Rhett is also trying to process his feelings for some of his c ...more
Rebe
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelley
*Source* Library
*Genre* Fantasy
*Rating* 3.0

*Full Review Shortly*

Apparently, this is not the final book in the series. There will be a fourth. #4. Treason of Hawks (HC: 10/18; TP: 09/19). Good thing too since the ending of this story absolutely sucks!!! Author spends a whole lot of wasted time on a relationship that apparently goes nowhere. There was just enough action in this story to keep me from throwing the book across the parking lot and into the dumpster. Also, good thing this is a library
S. James
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think this book is where the series runs out of steam and just falls back on the same things. Same dialogue, same character issues, repeat repeat repeat. I want this universe to be better than it is because I think it's fun and interesting, but there isn't much for the author to do with the places and people in it, apparently. If I see the word feller again I'm going to scream. It's just the same things happening over and over again in this book that I really didn't feel like finishing it.
Josh
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent. These characters stand out and the dialogue is out-of-this-world. It's hard to review this book without giving away character details. Watching Nettie/Rhett become the Shadow is quite a ride. 2 complaints: First, there seems to be a lot of walking and waiting for monsters. The plot doesn't advance very fast. Second, the ending is extremely abrupt and now I have to wait for the next volume. Boo. But boy howdy, Ms. Bowen is a pleasure to read.
Kally
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This felt like a much faster read than the second book. I enjoyed further exploration of the fantasy- western countryside and we got a new kick-ass character. I did not like how sidetracked most of the book felt, nor how easily things went down at the Ranger post. This book differs from the others in that it has more of a romance theme.
Jody
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the 1st and 2nd book, and the 3rd did not disappoint! Very unique in it's amalgamation of Western and fantasy, Rhett is a brilliant character and the story rolls along nicely. I think the terse prose embodies the cowpoke's personality wonderfully. This series won't appeal to everyone but I connected with it and really enjoyed it.
Jessica
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm into these! The ending = :( :( :( And I thought this was the last book but apparently there's a book 4 coming out this fall.

I liked Rhett's character development and growth here, and liked the adventures and other characters (Ines is awesome). Such a unique setting and world building and character and a fun story.
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: laura
I definitely enjoyed the first in the series the most. I always enjoy transformations better than conclusions. There are very few endings in art that satisfy me. But in the end, I liked the series. I like a book that insists that the parts that you have are not as important as the actions that you take.
Heather
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2019, fantasy, library
4.5/5

Rhett continues to go where the Shadow leads him fighting the good fight. The world building continues, making Rhett’s 1880’s Texas a wild landscape of magic, cowboys, and monsters. The cliff hanger at the end makes me upset that I haven’t ordered the 4th book through inter library loan yet!
Kathleen
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-hist
"Malice of Crows" is the third book in a fantasy series with the most inclusive cast of characters imaginable, set in the Old West, of all places. The story is still going strong and interesting and important things happen along a journey to the big conflict, keeping the reader invested. I'm looking forward to the 4th (and final?) book.
Genissa
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cliff hanger! 😱
The continuing story of Rhett Walker, one of the most interesting characters I've come across. I really enjoy the world of Durango, too. A fascinating combination of wild west, magic, and monsters.
I have no idea where the story is going next, but I can't wait to find out!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Cold Eye (The Devil's West, #2)
  • Young Woman in a Garden
  • Rivers of London Vol. 1: Body Work
  • Stone Mad (Karen Memory, #2)
  • Armistice (The Amberlough Dossier, #2)
  • Making Sense of the Alt-Right
  • Strange Country (Wide Open, #3)
  • The Skill of Our Hands (Incrementalists, 2)
  • The Last Sheriff in Texas
  • Hell's Bottom, Colorado
  • The Permaculture City: Regenerative Design for Urban, Suburban, and Town Resilience
  • The Kind Folk
  • Hope for the Best (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #10)
  • The Harvest (The Heartland Trilogy, #3)
  • Myth Adventures! (Graphic Novel)
  • Water in Plain Sight: Hope for a Thirsty World
  • Death on Earth: Adventures in Evolution and Mortality
  • The Aliens Are Coming!
Lila Bowen is the writer of Wake of Vultures and its sequel, Horde of Crows. As Delilah S. Dawson, she writes the Blud series, the Hit series, Servants of the Storm, and a variety of short stories and comics.

The Shadow (4 books)
  • Wake of Vultures (The Shadow, #1)
  • Conspiracy of Ravens (The Shadow, #2)
  • Treason of Hawks (The Shadow, #4)
“they could stand to enjoy one more night of quiet outside the city before subjecting themselves to the eternal bullshit of society.” 0 likes