Start by marking “Black Bird Yellow Sun” as Want to Read:
Black Bird Yellow Sun

Black Bird Yellow Sun

From the creator of Have You Seen My Dragon? comes an exploration of color that truly soars.

As a solitary black bird wings its way through the day, little ones are treated to a magnificent flight from one vibrant color to another. Inimitable illustrator Steve Light showcases a new style in this board book for the youngest readers. Children can journey with the graceful bl
Board Book, 16 pages
Published March 6th 2018 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Black Bird Yellow Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Bird Yellow Sun

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, adventure, cybils
Dr. Seuss took on the challenge to write a story in fifty words, and the result was Green Eggs and Ham. Steve Light takes on that challenge and does Seuss one better: he writes a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end, using only eighteen words. It's a perfect compact board book, with a compact story plus early color concepts. I wonder how many children could learn to read if they only had this book?
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
beautiful color contrast of the black bird on the page.
kids will enjoy spotting the little orange worm in each spread.
though i wonder if little kids might be confused by the blue moon.
Margie
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No matter the amount of planning given to a story time for the youngest of gals and guys, it is always infinitely better than imagined. Their responses are genuine and straight from the heart using all their senses without reservation. The spontaneity of these children is a never-ending source of delight.

For them the world, even on a cloudy day, is bright with possibilities. Black Bird Yellow Sun (Candlewick Press, March 6, 2018) written and illustrated by Steve Light invites us to take an avian
Joan
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m lukewarm about this. I might redo this review once I read other reviews but perhaps my expectations were set too high by all the ecstatic comments I read before buying and then reading. It is a perfectly nice book. I just don’t see why people consider this exceptional for the board book genre. Maybe I’ll reread tomorrow when not tired and will appreciate more. Tonight my reaction is meh.
June
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: color requests for the very young
Shelves: boardbook, colors
A bright, simple introduction to colors for the very young. I like the contrast of the black bird throughout.
Vera Godley
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
At first glance, one might find this little board book stark and unappealing and think that something more detailed and riddled with true-to-life illustrations more fitting for a young child. However, after getting into the pages of the book, the simple theme of a black bird (yes, a real black bird and drawn with simple lines in stark black) traipsing through the green grass, on the purple grapes, and through the orange leaves I changed my mind. In Black Bird Yellow Bird the young child has a so ...more
Linda
Thanks, Candlewick, for the advanced copy. It's a beginning-to-learn-colors book for toddlers, showing our joyful and colorful world. In contrast to a Black Bird. Steve Light's bold and bright illustrations travel from morning "yellow sun" through midday "green grass" to night's "blue moon". It's a great book to learn about colors and a few things in the natural world.
MaryLibrarianOH
Simple board book that teaches color through nature.
Isabel Smith
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A simple concept made fresh and interesting through a clever delivery. Readers will follow Black Bird as he goes about his day exploring the many different colors around him. The large, bright illustrations are perfect for highlighting a specific color on each page. As an added bonus, a little orange worm (presumably an acquaintance of the main character) appears on each page and it will be fun for readers to try and spot it. I read this book to my son today and memorized the text after about tw ...more
Steve Sarner
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I was able to get a free copy at BookCon 2018, for a friend with a toddler and Steve signed it for me too. I thought the art work was really beautiful and this would be a great way to teach colors and more.
Mel-Mel
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books
4.5
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Black Bird Yellow Sun by Steve Light. BOARD BOOK. Candlewick Press, 2018. $7.99.

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K – OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: LOW

Follow Black Bird along as he explores different colors, shapes, and other animals in the landscape.

Bright and colorful illustrations along with giant font make this book great for learning colors and words, and finding the work on each page will be a fun activity for children. Great for babies and young toddlers, but probably wouldn’t hold the interes
Gabrielle Stoller
The back of the book reads "From morning's yellow sun to evening's blue moon, Black Bird discovers the colors of the day."........and that's really all that can be said about it.

It is great for early literacy in that you can talk about the colors on each page. It's also a great beginning reader as there are approximately 16 words in the entire book. And the illustrations are interesting with apparent paint splotches and paper cutouts.

But it's kind of dull to read. Did not love it at all. It's
Asho
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
F (9 months old) REALLY enjoyed this book. Of all the picture books I have shown her in her life so far, I think this was the one that most caught and held her attention. She was attempting to turn the pages, patting her hand on the bird, and babbling about it. The illustrations are great, I love that you can really see the texture of the paint on each page, and F seemed interested in that as well. You get to follow the black bird from "Yellow sun" to "Blue moon" and everything in between. It's ...more
Rachel
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
With its simple premise of comparing colours to the base, repeating black bird, Light's board book is just right for helping babies grow an awareness of this concept. Each spread has the same format; "Black bird...yellow sun" says the first with a solid-coloured bird atop a textured yellow sun that really makes the necessary elements pop. From there, a short narrative about the bird's day unfolds, as it flies, eats, and even avoids danger, until finally it rests for the night.
Cassie Thornton
This is a very good book for early readers, it only has two words on each page. This book has no story line, conflict, or resolution. The black bird is the only main character in this book. The pictures going along with the black bird clearly show what the other words are. Also, all of the other things going along with the black bird go along with nature and things that the black bird could encounter.
Kelsey
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
School Library Journal Best Books 2018 - Picture Books List

This board book follows a black bird throughout his day. With a max of 4 words per page, there is no real storyline. The emphasis is made with re different color things the black bird encounters - red snake, green grass, blue moon, etc. The illustrations are highly textured which adds to the unique style of the book.

Recommended for ages 0-3.
Eve Costarelli
First off this book is so bright and captivating. I love that it is a board-book. Big kudos! I love the sharp-black raven/crow set against the brightly colored, tacky-paint textured palette of the pages. The colors make me feel happy. A cute addition is the special friend that follows through the book-catching the eye in each page spread, so there’s a game of eye-spy going on. This is a sweet first book of colors.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Black Bird is on the move with different colors. Colors included in the book are yellow, orange, purple, green, red, gray, pink, and blue. Great way to introduce new colors, while keeping one piece of the "storyline" the same. There is also a little orange worm that readers can find on each page.

2019 storytime theme: baby storytime

Reviewed from a library copy.
Great Books
A blackbird stands in relief to a yellow sun, orange leaves, purple grapes, green grass, etc. The high contrasting color scheme and basic text is appropriate for even the youngest of readers. Toddlers and parents will have fun looking for the orange worm that appears on each page as blackbird's foil. Reviewer #26
Mrs.Melaugh Melaugh
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books
A black bird appears on each page with a colorful item such as orange leaves, green grass and purple grapes. Text is spare, with four words per spread, “Black Bird Gray Rocks,” “Black Bird Pink Flowers.” Simple, bold illustrations demonstrate each colored item as the black bird interacts with it. In a playful touch, a little orange worm waits to be discovered on each page. Elegant simplicity.
Nicole Cullen
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: small children who are learning about colors
It's a board book for small children and it's a good book to use to teach them about color. It's simple and a very short read with four words on each page. The black bird is on every page but with a different color background.
Lisa
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not your average color concept book, this contrasts a black bird against the bold colors of nature as depicted in Steve Light's gorgeous, textured artwork. As a bonus, my 6-month-old really responded to the illustrations.
Ames Public Library Youth Services
A beautifully simple colors board book! Steve Light follows a black bird through the day, going through orange leaves, purple grapes and more.

A gorgeous look at colors, with beautiful art.

-dmz
Library Lady Terri
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A basic concepts book on colors with an underlying black bird.
Vicki
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simple book with lovely colors and as in the title a black bird.
Jeani
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We've checked this out from the library several times. It is delightful.
Frances Marshall
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a charming little board book. Simple, clean illustrations. Short. Perfect for a little reader.
Francis S. Poesy
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very simple concept book executed artistically with contrasting colors, movement, shape, and whimsy.
Michele Knott
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Color concept book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Mini Myths: Make a Wish, Midas!
  • Edible Colors
  • All Kinds of Kisses
  • Toot
  • My Cold Plum Lemon Pie Bluesy Mood
  • Countablock
  • Mommy, Carry Me Please!
  • Monsters Love Colors
  • Peek-A-Zoo!
  • Snap!
  • Color Dance
Steve Light grew up in an enchanted place known as New Jersey. He went on to study Illustration at Pratt Institute, he also studied with Dave Passalacqua. Upon graduating he did some corporate illustrations for companies such as: AT&T, Sony Films, and the New York Times Book Review. Steve Light then went on to design buttons that were acquired by the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum. He has since p ...more