Start by marking “Alpha” as Want to Read:
Alpha

Alpha

A rising star at one of the world's preeminent investment banks recounts his power hungry and sex-crazed youth in this outrageous, satirical bildungsroman. From childhood dreams of playing in the NFL to a career on Wall Street playing with middle class pensions—and the schoolyard brawls, love triangles, rock club showcases, and frat house feuds in between—Frank Parker will ...more
Published July 20th 2017 by Altair Press (first published November 21st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Alpha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alpha

Danny
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is entertaining and thought provoking. For people looking for surface-level entertainment, ALPHA serves it on a platter. For people looking for a self-analysis of America and the prevailing attitude of what is success that many in this country embrace, ALPHA provides the critical context in which to analyze someone who has embraced it with reckless abandon.
Nathan H.
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
As an incoming college freshman, I was unfortunately unable to make the most of young Frank Parker's life experiences. Regardless, this was a raw, entertaining story, of a type which I have never encountered before - and although many have labeled this work satire, it's better if you take Mr. Parker seriously.

I enjoyed reading it on the 39th St beach in Ocean City. Other popular beach reads include "The Notebook" and "The Fault in Our Stars," and while I've never read those two books, I'd throw
Tena
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2-goodread_wins
I won this in a GOODREADS giveaway by the author. This is another book I never would have selected on my own. My thanks to A.D. ALIWAT for this exposure. It's an engrossing coming-of-age story with accentuated stereotypical masculine flair. It kept me turning the pages, sometimes in shock, sometimes in awe. But, turn the pages, I did do.
Katarina
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So it looks like I'm the first woman to review this book on amazon, which doesn't really surprise me.

This is definitely a man's book, and I'm sure many women will get offended. If you can get over being a woman, and just read the book as Frank's view of the world, women can enjoy this book too.

I found it interesting, disturbing, thought provoking, cringe-worthy, funny and so macho that I had to shake my head a few times.
It is a very well written book, but the content isn't for everyone. However
A. Smith
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A.D. Aliwat's ALPHA is really something. This is a fast read--and not because of a lack of weight or complexity--but because you can't put it down, even if you kind of want to (which trust me, ladies, is an understatement). The novel takes you on a roller coaster ride that includes raunchy sex, squirm-inducing violence, and emotionally draining insights into how master manipulators get what they want. To those who are brave enough: Keep reminding yourself that this is a satire and it'll be easie ...more
Dawn
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: almost-freebie, 2014
This book is unlike anything I've read before - Frank Parker tells a life story (up to age 25, anyway) of a person solely focused on being a successful, respected/feared Alpha, focused on money, sex, & power. While often cringe-worthy in his thoughts & actions, I thought this book was really well-written, & even have to admit a grudging respect for someone who sets (often reprehensible, but still) goals for themselves & never doubts they will attain them.
Chris Anderson
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great read. Frank is a jerk on steroids, and when I wasn't laughing with him or at him, the pit in my stomach felt all too real as he waxed about the myriad ways he screwed people over throughout his young life. The author confirms what we all think about bankers these days.
Laura Z. Weldon
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a page-turner... once you make it past the first few pages. The narrator is despicable in every way you could imagine, but he charms you, in his way, into hearing his story. It's a modern "how to make it in America" that may leave you quite content with your own story.
Pamela L. Dyer, L. Dyer
rated it did not like it
Oct 15, 2016
Bruno Silva
Aug 27, 2016
Nikola Miřetínská
Sep 08, 2016
A.D. Aliwat was born in the United States of America in 1985.
“Being comfortable in your own skin is the spirit of rock-and-roll and, really, the spirit of cool.” 4 likes
“Since humans are social animals, you’re basically only as good as your reputation.” 4 likes