Start by marking “Twelve Days of Christmas” as Want to Read:

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  11,312 ratings  ·  1,783 reviews
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER - Continuing in a festive annual tradition, Debbie Macomber returns with a new original holiday novel full of romance and cheer--and the magical prospect of finding love in the most unexpected places.

Friendly and bubbly, Julia Padden likes nearly everyone, but her standoffish neighbor, Cain Maddox, presents a particular challenge. No matter how ha
Mass Market Paperback, 212 pages
Published October 17th 2017 by Ballantine Books (first published October 4th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Days of Christmas, please sign up.
Carol no not creepy at all just a lovely older man with his grandsons best interests at heart

·  11,312 ratings  ·  1,783 reviews

Start your review of Twelve Days of Christmas
Paula
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute Christmas romance with friendly Julia, her Scrooge-like neighbor Cain, and what happens when Julia decides to kill Cain with kindness for the twelve days of Christmas. Fun and festive, with very likable characters and perfect for the holiday season.
Elena
Dec 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Twelve Days of Christmas was a delightful read full of joy, laughter, love, and of course, Christmas. It really was probably what I needed right now, especially because it is Christmas themed, but also because it was quick and easy to get through. I enjoyed it, but I do have some complaints that made the reading experience a little less . . . joyous.

First, it truly felt like the relationship between Cain and Julia developed too fast. With that in mind, the book is short, stopping at around almos
Robin Hobb
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
T'is the Season! Time to decorate, bake cookies and watch old movies on TV while I decorate them. And it's the time of year to read a book that's on the sweet side, too. I wanted a read that went with Christmas!

I chose this one for several reasons. I liked the cover. And I once met Debbie Macomber at a book convention and she was a lovely person, warm and congenial. It's as good as any reason for choosing a book off a Safeway rack.

This book delivered everything that I wanted in a Christmas roman
Kat
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-4, christmas
I love a great Debbie Macomber book, especially the ones with that great Scrooge/Christmas elf dynamic like this one! Cain does not like Christmas, and he has his reasons. Julia runs a blog that she’s trying to get off the ground, and also works in a department store. They live in the same apartment building, and Mr. Scrooge has a habit of stealing her newspaper. Julia decides that she’s going to overwhelm him with holiday cheer until he sees the error of his ways… and post about it on her blog, ...more
exploraDora
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
***3, 5 stars***

This was a quick holiday read.

The story is cute, albeit a bit predictable, but nevertheless very enjoyable.

We are introduced to two very different characters, cheerful Julie and her bitter neighbor Cain.

After a few unpleasant meetings in their building hallway, Julie comes to the conclusion that she can't stand Cain. He is just so rude, a real Scrooge, that she decides to do a 12 day challenge of killing him with kindness.

The story proves that when you treat even the worst peop
Jill McGill
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Debbie Macomber knows how to deliver a fun, lighthearted romance. This one will give you the warm fuzzies and have you smiling all day!

Twelve Days of Christmas shows us how powerful showing kindness can be... not only to the receiver, but to the giver as well. This is the perfect Christmas read that will warm your heart and get you in the Christmas spirit! Highly Recommend.
Heidi
Dec 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-goal
Shortest review ever.

I wanted a cute Christmas romance. I got a cute Christmas romance. No swooning for me but the grandfather character was a nice touch!
Myrna
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This book was a Hallmark/Lifetime movie with a good message of being kind to others.
Linda Strong
This is a love story that starts with a blog. Julia has a neighbor, Cain, who seems a bit grumpy and very unfriendly. Julia's smile in the morning rivals the sun. They both leave for work at approximately the same time, so they share the elevator several days a week. She always greets him with Good Morning! and he mostly grunts at her and departs the elevator as soon as he possibly can.

But the day he stole her newspaper was the final straw as far as she was concerned. Her best friend made a sugg
Arlena Dean

Rating: Five
Review:

"Twelve Days Of Christmas" by Debbie Macomber

My Thoughts...

What a sweet Christmas romance story that this author brings to the readers. The two main characters Julia and Cain were definitely good for each other after it was all said and done. I loved how this author was able to give the readers of a read of one showing kindness that turns into after a few twis
Deanne Patterson
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-copy
What a delightful light read! When there is a promotion at work available to the person who gets the most new blog followers. Julia, is Ms. Sunshine with a bubbly personality and her across the hall neighbor in her apartment building, Cain is anything but. Talking to her best friend Cammie, Julia mentions Cain and Cammie suggests she "kill him" . Kill him with kindness that is she says. Julia decides to blog about her challenge for her job calling it Twelve Day Of Christmas.
She secretly nicknam
Ami
Aug 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-books, romance
I think the term "Like a Hallmark Movie" will be thrown a lot to describe/review this book. I personally think that is apt and at the same time will give you an idea what to expect.

On the downside, I thought there were quite minimal character development. Cain, at least has a background that might make it enough to explain his attitude. I could see why he has trust issues and not exactly nurturing a sunny disposition.

But Julia? Julia is a little too perfect for my taste. She's perky and upbeat
Janet Robel
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Bring on the holidays! Ms. Macomber is back doing what she does best, writing a heartwarming holiday story with memorable characters that can be treasured and reread each year. This hooks you in right from the start with two people who dislike each other and a fun blog that is more entertaining to read with each one. I love this type of story especially closer to Christmas when everything is so festive. If you wa
Gail
What a heartwarming and fun loving Christmas romance story! I enjoyed every minute of the story and hated to see it end.
Julia the happy morning person who is always bubbly over keeps running into her neighbor from across the hall Cain who she thinks of as Scrooge. So she decides she is going to kill him with kindness for the 12 days to Christmas and see if she can change him. Will she succeed? Read the book today to see how it all turns out.
This would make for an awesome Christmas movie!
Debra
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Received from the publishers and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Julia meets her neighbor Cain and each instantly takes a dislike for the other. Julia is very bubbly and friendly. Cain is very standoffish and keeps to himself. When Julia catches Cain stealing her newspaper after his was taken, she decides she needs to do something. After speaking with a close friend, she decides to "kill him with kindness" and blog about it. Her blog is also this book's title "Twelve Days of Christmas
Bree Hill
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I breezed through Twelve Days of Christmas. I mostly listened to it on audio but also had the ebook checked out so I could follow along. (Yes, I’m one of those people)

Honestly I think so far out of all the Debbie Macomber romances I’ve read, this one was one of the more actual romantic stories. It follows Julia and Cain who are neighbors. Cain is a complete jerk in the beginning of the story, such a grouch! Julia’s best friend tells her to kill him...with Kindness. Julia has applied for a social
Alison
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book served its purpose. It was fun and entertaining and I had been looking for something light to read, so this was great.
Obviously, since it only takes place over 12 days, the story line is rushed and relationships are formed more quickly than average, but I didn't go in expecting anything different.
I love hate-to-love relationships and this was a pretty mild one, but still enjoyable all the same.
I will say, the romance made me cringe at times (I mean if he's an ass, what is th
Tandie
2.25 stars. Julia plays Mary Sue like it’s an eXtreme sport. I actually thought there was going to be a plot point explaining that she was trying to fill some void in her soul by running herself ragged with volunteer work. Nope. She comes from a loving family.

Cain is also a pro athlete, but in the negative motivation department. This guy does the whole “I trusted a woman with my heart this one time, and she burned me. So, because I failed once, I vow to never trust or love again.”

BUT WAIT. It
Ezinwanyi Chinyere
This one was really a yummy and cute holiday story

In this cute holiday story, Julia Padden was trying to secure her dream job while working retail at Macy’s. One day, she discovered her cold and standoffish neighbor Cain Maddox was stealing her newspaper, Julia’s best friend Camie suggested Julia kill him with kindness. So Julia started the Twelve Days of Christmas Blog, where she wrote everyday about ways she was showering Cain with kindness and it became an overnight sensation. To protect his
Susan

Debbie Macomber

Received from Netgalley

I have always enjoyed Debbie Macomber's stories, and TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS is no exception! Debbie is the my go to author when I'm looking for a feel good heart tugging story and especially when I'm needing to read a wonderful holiday tale. Her holiday stories are almost magical and you can't help but fall in love with them. I can definitely see myself reading this story over and over again and I'm not one to reread anything.

Julia
Sherwood Smith

Debbie Macomber, a veteran writer of feel-good romances, turns in an immensely readable story featuring bubbly, upbeat Julia, who meets her next door neighbor Cain over a pilfered newspaper, and it’s oil and water at first sight.

Julia’s efforts to be pleasant and friendly bring out the worst in Cain, whose shortness verges on rudeness. Of course the two find the other attractive in spite of themselves, because this is a romance, and it’s part of the fun to see how they overcome the bad beginning
♡ Jeri's Book Attic ♡ Jeri the Romance Bibiliophile ♡

I actually received my first Christmas review copies in the end of JUNE … and I have to be honest I refused reading them until beginning of November. So I had a little “early Christmas” last weekend to get myself into the mood.
The weather outside was bad with freezing rain and wind so I simply left the curtains drawn to shut out the outside – turned on a few candles and got myself some cake and hot chocolate before I started with :

Twelve Days of Christmas of Debbie Macomber

And I have to say it
Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
This cute Christmas romance by Debbie Macomber is the perfect book to curl up with during the Holiday season. It is not too long and not too short. One thing I realized while reading it was that this book would make a perfect Hallmark movie. I am curious if they are planning on doing just that!

Julia is a happy person but when she continues to run into her handsome neighbor and he is always grouchy, well there is something that has to be done! After a chat with her best friend she decided to ‘kil
Kirsten "keep calm there are only 3 days left"
A cute and sweet romance for the holiday season! (Yes, I'm sorry. I should've waited until after Thanksgiving!)

The couple are cute, the plot device of killing your neighbor with kindness and blogging about it was nice, and it has a lot of very humorous scenes.

However, I did find it unlikely that someone that can afford to buy someone a CASHMERE scarf would be living in the same apartment building as someone who is riding a bus to work at Macy's (or, as I still think of it -- The Bon).

But I did
Kav
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A scrumptious read that had me grinning from ear to ear for most of it. Romantic comedy at its best. Loved how Julia's bubbly Christmas spirit contrasts with Cain's natural grump. She's Cindy-Lou Who to his Grinch. Tiny Tim to his Scrooge. So funny and poignant with a lovely message about the powerful changes kindness can bring -- to the giver as well as the recipient. A feel good Christmas romance that will have you on your feet cheering by the end...and then promptly doubling over in laughter. ...more
Dawn ♥ romance
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, christmas
An entertaining holiday romance with an interesting plot incorporating a modern day version of the Twelve Days of Christmas. It was full of the giving spirit of Christmas activities and I liked the revelations that came from 'killing him with kindness.' Julia's cheerful attitude is the exact opposite of her grumpy neighbor Cain and she is determined to lighten him up. ...more
Becki at Becki's Bookshelf
I bought this book by accident. I'd never intended to purchase two books by the same author for my Twelve Books of Christmas (2018) challenge. Ordinarily the way I handle authors I've never read is to take a bite-sized sample of their work and decide from there whether they are an author I'd like to read again. Generally speaking, I read favorite authors more than twice. Most others fall by the wayside.

So why did I pick up not one, but two books by a romance author I'd never read? I'm not even p
Christine Indorf
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had fun with this story. Blogging about the main character next store neighbor who is a Scrooge. she tries to kill him with kindness. Will she see more to him than meanness? I loved both of the main characters of the book. Both hurt, one decides to live her life positive and love Christmas, the other hate kindness and Christmas because of pass experiences. Now I don't do well with these kind of book. Knowing the other will find out what the other is doing. So yes, I peak at the end to see what ...more
Jillian
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julia notices that her attractive neighbor, Cain, is completely miserable. They get into the elevator together each morning and he barely acknowledges her morning greeting. Christmas is 12 days away so Julia puts together a plan to kill Cain with kindness and see if she can get him into the Christmas spirit.

This book was so cute and cheesy and everything I needed right now. A Hallmark Christmas movie in book form.
Theresa
A lighthearted, sweet, romantic holiday read focusing on the power of kindness to change that "Ebenezer Scrooge" character... Debbie Macomber provides us with likable characters who have some level of depth to their personalities due to their own losses and triumphs in life; nothing too angst filled or over the top just relatable and honest... nice holiday read that warms the soul and can get one in the holiday spirit... 3 stars:) ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: #32 - Twelve Days of Christmas 1 3 Mar 09, 2017 11:05AM
Paperback Release date 11/3/16 2 8 Dec 30, 2016 07:17PM
The Happy Housewi...: Twelve Days of Christmas 1 2 Dec 07, 2016 06:37AM
Around the Year i...: Twelve Days of Christmas, by Debbie Macomber 3 14 Nov 07, 2016 04:49PM

• The Christmas Town (Christmas Hope #8)
  • The Mistletoe Inn
  • In a Holidaze
  • One Snowy Night (Heartbreaker Bay, #2.5)
  • The Christmas Train
  • Happily This Christmas (Happily Inc, #6)
  • The Mistletoe Promise
  • The Mistletoe Secret
  • The Christmas Swap
  • The Christmas Wedding
  • Finding Christmas
  • The Christmas Star (Christmas Hope, #9)
  • The Christmas Cottage (The Christmas Cottage, #1)
  • Skipping Christmas
  • Christmas Bliss (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #4)
  • The Christmas Promise (Christmas Hope, #4)
  • The Noel Diary (The Noel Collection, #1)
  • Mistletoe and Mr. Right (Moose Springs, Alaska #2)
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 1,000 weeks on the New York Time ...more