Start by marking “Meet Me in the In-Between” as Want to Read:
Meet Me in the In-Between

Meet Me in the In-Between

A provocative and lively memoir in stories by the bestselling, "Richard and Judy" selected author of The Summer of the Bear Growing up the middle child of transatlantic parents--her down- to-earth mother and romantic father--Bella Pollen never quite figured out how to belong. Restlessly crossing back and forth between the boundaries of family and freedom, England and Ameri ...more
Published May 18th 2017 by Mantle

To ask other readers questions about Meet Me in the In-Between, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet Me in the In-Between

Hannah
May 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, memoir
This book is gonna be hard to review because I really, really did not enjoy it. At all. But I dislike giving memoirs a negative review because, well, this is somebody's life I am talking about and I just don't feel particularly comfortable being negative about that.

The book and me started on the wrong foot - because it starts with a sex ghost. An honest-to-god sex ghost that is visiting Bella Pollen in her sleep and wakes her up and makes her orgasm. This reoccuring visitation is her starting po
Petra
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, netgalley
I should have given up when the incubus turned up in chapter one. But as ever, my stupid persistence kept telling me to give it a chance. I feel bad being so negative. After all, this is the author's memoir, so criticizing anything about it feels kind of wrong. But honestly, I didn't enjoy this. Some of that was due to the style. It was delivered in a smug tone that I just didn't like. It was overwritten, trying too hard. Then there were some elements relating to race, nationalities, and descrip ...more
Rebecca
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(3.5) Bella Pollen is the author of five novels, so it’s not too surprising that in this atypical memoir she records scenes from her own life almost as if they were fictional vignettes. Rather than giving a chronological blow-by-blow account, she jumps ahead as it suits her, avoiding many of life’s more obvious turning points and landing instead on the moments that stand out for her. And all this in a whimsical and at times very funny style.

Pollen frames her story with a psychic struggle from he
Lolly K Dandeneau
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
via my blog https://bookstalkerblog.wordpress.com/
"I also had a passion. In my free time I liked to torture dolls and stuffed animals. Run-of-the-mill stuff really- singeing their hair, twisting off their heads. My parents encouraged it.”

When I first started reading I thought, oh- is this going to be a new age memoir? It’s not, keep going through her struggle with her night visitor, it all makes sense. I spent many nights when I should have been asleep laughing. I love her childhood and her ecc
Pallavi Sharma
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, own
3.5

"When some nosy, insensitive small-talker asks me what I do, I take a deep breath and muster as much dignity as possible before replying."
"I do my best."

This is the kind of lines that you will find when you read this book. Super quirky, ironic and as the author says "zero-politeness". The memoir starts with author's childhood memories, her being the mid child among three, a world full of sibling fights and playing favourite of parents.
I loved that part, the childhood.

Then author is torn betw
Karen
Feb 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
MEET ME IN THE IN BETWEEN BY BELLA POLLEN

Thank you to Net Galley, Bella Pollen and Grove Press for providing me with my digital copy for a fair and honest review.

This memoir begins with the author waking up at 4:00 AM waking up from a nightmare, which she suffers from having frequently. Or is she being haunted and visited from what she describes as an incubus? The author then goes on to a tirade about thinking how seeing a shrink wouldn't be helpful.
This book seems full of gibberish, as it goes
Samantha Jostein
This memoir is so not what I expected, I seldom write reviews because I am quite dyslexic and because generally I find books to be incredibly personal to the reader. However I finished Meet Me In The In-between in just 4 hours and afterwards found myself in a total euphoria, searching online to see if others felt the way I did. Many did, although a couple didn't.

For me, I thought it was absolutely hilarious, and a brave, ballsy and at times really poignant reflection on being utterly lost.

The
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
It seems kind of appropriate given the book's title that I am undecided between giving it three stars or four. I loved, loved, loved the first half and then felt like it lost its way in the second half. In the end I've rounded up because the way that Bella Pollen can craft a sentence is just brilliant. Sometimes poignant, sometimes thought-provoking and often hilarious.

Bella Pollen - I must have heard of her before reading this book but the name meant nothing to me when I picked it up. Her firs
Kitty
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
ei mäleta absoluutselt, mis asjaoludel see raamat mu lugemisnimekirja sattus, igatahes eeldasin/ootasin midagi hoopis muud. no pidi olema midagi ekstsentrilisest perekonnast ja kahe riigi vahel elamisest ja nii.

selle asemel (või no ok, sellele lisaks) sain lugeda mafioosost äiapapast (ei, muidu väga kena inimene), metsikust läänest 21. sajandil (intsest, perevägivald, räpasus, sõltuvused, pisi- ja organiseeritud kuritegevus), prostituutidest ja inimsmugeldajatest Mehhiko-USA piiril... elu pahupo
Rachel Gunson
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you for a witty, quirky and often confronting insight into your world. A brave and honest soul bearing memoir, vivid visuals of different worlds and people you have lived in and visited - and never judged, I loved how you embraced each meeting as an opportunity , there must have been many a terrifying or even dull moment, yet you went with the flow.
The intoxicating Italian family (whanau in NZ) traditions, hilarious New York and London family moments with snide and cutting remarks which m
Alison
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun memoir to read. The authors style of writing is very entertaining and I think shows us quite well her struggle with who she is and what she wants out of life. The stories she gives us throughout of her experiences, the people she meets and the places she visits are wonderful and very descriptive. Sometimes very funny, but always truthful to her life and what she is feeling at the time.
Her story which at times seems a bit unbelievable, just furthers our perception of who she is and
Lisacowboyfilms.Co.Uk

i loved Bellas book. she has a very emotional, strong, honest and interesting voice.

i could identify all the way thru with the what ifs, what mights, the fears of the unknown, the fear of failure the fear of boredom, the fear of reality.

i think this is her best book to date and should be read by everyone!!!
Carlene
3.5 stars. Loved the early part of the book and the very end, grappling with her parents aging and illness. Quirky and engaging, though sometimes a bit difficult to follow as she jumps around.
Row
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to enjoy this. But in terms of a text it was patchy. And in terms of the author, I actively disliked her by the end. And I liked her books, so that was sad.
Meghan
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, part way through the chapter I was thinking of as The Godfather chapter, I started to wonder if maybe I was reading a fiction book and not a memoir. I mean, book started out with an incubus, and I was cool with that as non-fiction, but the dappled Italian summers filled with olive trees and mafioso in-laws, my mind could not process that as anything other than fiction. Is that a failure as a memoir or a success for a creative non-fiction piece? We have a Woody-Allen-1970s-New-York childhood ...more
Zara Garcia-Alvarez of The Bibliotaphe Closet Blog
While it can be difficult to review a memoir or a biography because it’s written in the context of someone’s personal life and experiences, rather than fiction, a memoir or biography can be entertaining as fiction, if written well, and gives its readers the opportunity to know the writer better, both in the events he or she shares about her his or her life, or how he or she perceives them in the way the author writes.

Bella Pollen’s biography, Meet Me in the In-Between, shares the oddities of her
Michaela
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
----Full disclosure: I received this book for free from Goodreads. ---- If you dislike stories that waver from traditional format, or require things to be laid out linearly, then this is not for you. If you don't well tolerate non-concrete ways of being, feeling, and experiencing life, then skip this tale. However, if you often feel that you are living somewhere in-between the ways other people go through life, if you never feel quite settled anywhere, have a look at this and know that there oth ...more
Niall
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A series of fatastical vignettes cherry-picked by the author that comes to nothing except portraying an author who is self-absorbed, delusional, bored of privelege and actually quite nasty to other people. I'm not convinced this is a memoir and, if it is, the author needs to see a therapist (which she refuses because she'll just sleep with them. This is what she says. No joke). She writes vivid descriptions though, and the illustrations are nice. Otherwise, awful. Avoid.
Suzanne M
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is like sitting with your best friend who also happens to be a phenomenal story teller. Filled with humor as well as heartbreak, various situations arise in which the author is looking for just about anything to alleviate a stagnant lifestyle. You will find yourself transported to different locales and meeting truly unique individuals that are expertly described by the author. I'd love to hang out with her any time!
Michelle
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I picked this up off the features shelf in a hurry, not noticing it was a memoir. Usually I don't like memoirs that much, because honestly I feel like most people just don't have that much interesting to say about their own lives. This one is a bit rocky at the start - the whole incubus thing is pretty rough - but it got much better, to the point where I really did feel like she spoke to some emotional truth that I understood. A good read, after all.
Kristine
Meet Me in the In-Between by Bella Pollen is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late May.

A series of short stories interspliced with symbolically abstract ink-wash sketches - the first-person stories involve a lot of melodic (yet not exactly singsong) self-talk with the sketches sometimes serving as a story. Overall, it's like reading short-form Roald Dahl on a rainy day.
Kath
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised by this book. As a Bella Pollen aficionado, even I struggled to start this book, so put off was I by the succubus. Once that had been suffered though, this book was as beautifully written and revealing as any could be. A truly beautiful and unusual book.
Gail
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely delicious. Especially when she was the evil middle child! I need Bella Pollen to write more books.
Kaytlin
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing and structure of this memoir was refreshing. I couldn't help but feel the distance that the author was putting between herself and the reader, but that was okay for me.
R R R
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading this book very much , well written , very brave young woman and very funny story about herself. Loved it .
blacksmith
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first e-book I have ever read (yes, I know it is 2017) and also the first book I have ever requested an advanced copy of from NetGalley, and I'm really fortunate to have such an enjoyable first experience. (I love holding and smelling a tangible object while reading and was not sure how transitioning to a Kindle would go, but had surprising positive results!)

I will admit, yes, that a lot of times I choose a book based on it's cover, and I would lie if I told you otherwise with Meet
EvaClaire
Nov 04, 2017
Lydia
Jan 15, 2017
Emma
rated it did not like it
Aug 29, 2018
  • The Diary of an Honest Mum
  • By the Book: A Reader's Guide to Life
  • Remember the Sweet Things: One List, Two Lives, and Twenty Years of Marriage
  • Moments: Pulitzer Prize-Winning Photographs: A Visual Chronicle of Our Time
  • Trouble in Tinseltown (Summer Flings #1)
  • How to Mend a Broken Heart
  • Sex Changes: A Memoir of Marriage, Gender, and Moving On
Raised in New York , Bella Pollen is a writer and journalist who has contributed to a variety of publications, including Uk and American Vogue, The Times, the Sunday Telegraph and the Observer.

Author of five previous novels, including the best selling Hunting Unicorns and critically acclaimed Summer of the Bear, Pollen has tackled a broad spectrum of subjects from Cold War intrigue to decline of t