Start by marking “I Just Ate My Friend” as Want to Read:
I Just Ate My Friend

I Just Ate My Friend

This beautiful, innovate picture book from an enormously talented new creator will make you laugh out loud. The search for a true friend is something everyone can relate to - from the very young to the very old.

I just ate my friend. He was a good friend. But now he is gone. Would you be my friend?

A hilarious story about the search for friendship and belonging... and maybe
Hardcover, First, 32 pages
Published August 2017

To ask other readers questions about I Just Ate My Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Just Ate My Friend

Teal
This took like 3 minutes to read, max, but in those 3 minutes it managed not just to make me laugh maniacally, but to pull off a plot twist as well.

As soon as I laid eyes on it -- that title! that artwork! -- I knew I simply MUST have it. But at $11 for 3 minutes' worth of ebook -- well, let's just say that whoever's in charge of pricing at Simon & Schuster is seriously delusional. Fortunately my trusty local library came to the rescue, so my gratification only suffered the briefest of dela
Kaethe Douglas
It's good to see authors addressing the epidemic of friend-eating, sadly a tragedy kept hidden by shame.

Library copy
David Schaafsma
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
I Just Ate My Friend is the hilarious title of a book by Heidi McKinnon for very early readers. The best thing about it, unfortunately, is the title, though the punch line at the end when he finally again finds a new friend is the second best thing about it, and not unexpected. Along the way, after announcing he had eaten his best friend—an incident we never know anything about, unfortunately, given that the title announces it—the monster spends most of the rest of the book asking various creatu ...more
Beth
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This, my children's librarian friends, is picture book perfection.
Michael Earp
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
YES! Perfect for Jon Klassen fans. This is great!
Aaron Loeffelbein
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teachers, Librarians, Parents, Children, Children-at-heart
Shelves: children-s-books
This book goes beyond cute. It goes beyond hilarious. It is a guffaw-inducing tale with a surprise ending that will make you wish you'd worn some sort of absorbent undergarment.
KC
Moral: be careful how you treat your friends.
⠀annie⠀✧*ೃ༄
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this book is a literary masterpiece. 100/10. only real book fans will understand.
Joy Reinbold
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-baby
Morbid, hilarious, adorable. Everything I've ever wanted in a kids' book.
flajol
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the artwork, I love the characters, and I love the story! This really made me laugh. The interactions between the characters, and that between reader and the creature who couldn't resist munching on his friend reminded me very much of Jon Klassen's Hat books.
Destinee Sutton
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, funny
This is my favorite picture book of 2018. I laughed out loud twice. I read it at story time (even though weird books don't often play well at story time) and all of the grown-ups laughed and all the kids were like, "Whaaaaaaaaaat." It's just so great.
Kelly Spoer
NO. THIS IS THE CREEPIEST THING I HAVE EVER READ.

LITERALLY DISTURBED FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.
Jennie
Jan 31, 2019 added it
I mean, who among us has not had this problem
Jennifer Hendzlik
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I love a picture book with a good plot twist!
Amanda
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I appreciate dark humour and agree with other reviewers who said "mwahahahaha"--I don't think that there was anything remarkably new or subversive here--Jon Klassen saw to that! However, this was fun, and some kids will really like it.
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from Allen & Unwin for Review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
A monster realises the error of his ways after eating his only friend. Will his quest for a new friend result in success...or dinner?

This was a totally fun read that resulted in a few bemused looks as the realisation dawned that the monster did actually just eat its friend and now required a replacement. For friendship, that is. Not for eating. Definitely not.

The book reads like a cross between Please Mr Panda
Jason
OF COURSE it was going to end like that. But it's still oh-so-delightful. Would pair nicely in storytime with Sean Taylor's I Want to Be in a Scary Story.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Finding a friend can be tricky...
Isabel Smith
I Just Ate My Friend is a cute and feisty picture book about a yellow creature who is searching for a new friend after having accidentally eaten his last one. Yikes! His journey to find a new friendship is filled with obstacle after obstacle as each potential candidate refuses to be his friend. However, he perseveres and it turns out he may just get what he wished fore...and then some! Read this to your little one if they're in the mood for a silly adventure with lots of giggles along the way. ...more
Sonya Heaney
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is awful - and hilarious. I read it with my (nearly 36-year-old) brother at the National Gallery the other week, and now I'm buying him a copy for his birthday! There are some fantastic children's books out there at the moment.
Kristin
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool, monsters
With some context regarding how hard it can be to control your hunger when you're a monster, this can be funny and not freaky.
Robin
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, humor
Love the illustrations. Good for fans of “I Want My Hat Back”. Recommended for ages 4-8.
Beth
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adorable picture book about a monster that eats his only friend. Big, bold, colorful illustrations in this fun book! Highly recommended.
Fiona
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hilarious - I can see this going down really well with the primary students. Y2 upwards, I think.
Miss Sarah
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A silly book about a creature who eats his friend and goes searching for a new one but everyone says no. Will anyone be his friend? Preschool and up
Vern
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Unfortunate ending
Zlatko
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Out of the hundreds of books I have read to my son this year, I Just Ate My Friend is the one that sticks out. We have extended the library checkout at least a month to read it over and over again.
Jared White
Apr 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Dumb and unsatisfying
Jennie
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
A strange story about a creature looking for a friend but all are too large, small, tall etc. He wonders what happened to his last friend (did he eat him?) as he meets a similar looking creature and they agree to be friends - but only one walks away.
I found the ending to be quite bazaar and not explicit for young children to fully grasp - did the new friend eat the main character? I think so, but can't see this as a good ending for the target audience.
Shortlisted for the CBCA 2018 Crichton Award
Jennifer Miera
Not sure this story makes sense. Quite a leap from making friends to eating them. Also, the characters are the same size, so doesn't really make any logical sense (not that picturebooks are always logical).
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Eat Pete!
  • Monster Needs a Costume
  • Nobody's Duck
  • I Am a Cat
  • Can Somebody Please Scratch My Back?
  • Poor Little Guy
  • Moo Moo in a Tutu
  • I Got a Chicken for My Birthday
  • Cat Knit
  • I Hate My Cats (A Love Story)
  • Oi Dog!