Start by marking “My Anxiety Handbook: A Guide for Young People (proof ebook)” as Want to Read:
My Anxiety Handbook: A Guide for Young People (proof ebook)

My Anxiety Handbook: A Guide for Young People (proof ebook)

Helping young people with anxiety learn to recognise and manage their symptoms, this anxiety survival guide teaches 12 to 18 year olds how they can overcome their biggest worries.

Showing that anxiety is a normal human emotion that many people face, this book helps young people understand the ins and outs of their own anxiety and helps them to challenge the difficult patter
ebook
Published January 18th 2018 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers

To ask other readers questions about My Anxiety Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Anxiety Handbook

Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received this Arc from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

I want to preface this review by saying I am fully aware I am not in the age group of the target audience for this novel and most of my problems with this book stem from that.

While reading this book I felt like I was being talked down to, the authors wrote in a very condescending way, and all "helpful" information they gave was things that 1) I already learned over the years of suffering from anxiety and 2) could easily be f
Emma♔☯ (Bookishfix)
I received this Arc from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

As someone who suffers from anxiety and has for the last 2 years or so, it's quite hard to get outside of your head sometimes and panic attacks royally suck. If you don't know what an anxiety/panic attack feels like I can tell you the first time I had one I thought I was having a heart attack (which is a quite common feeling
Emilie Emzbooksandco
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
3.75/5 ( or maybe 4, I don’t know to be honest)

Thank you Netgalley for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review.

First of all, I’d like to say that this review is entirely up to me. It’s my feelings, my thoughts, and my way of dealing with things. So this book may not help you, or maybe you think that it’s pointless, or barely explaining things, but we all have our ways to deal with anxiety, and two people cannot have the exact same form of anxiety. So please, respect my opinion.
BookLionQueen
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 out of 5 stars

I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I very much enjoyed this book. This was full of useful information and techniques and personal experiences from young people struggling with anxiety. I will definitely use some of these techniques in my own life and journey through anxiety. There was some information that didn't pertain to me but it was nice to learn all the same. I would recommend this book to people if you have anxiety or a child/friend/lo
Tiffany Miss.Fiction
" 'Don't be anxious it will only make things worse.' If that worked we wouldn't be writing this book." YES!
I’ve found this book extremely useful, even if i am a long experienced anxiety manager since age 10. However, thou i thought i know it all about anxiety, this was extremely helpful and interesting, there’s so much to learn especially for younger readers.
It’s a bit repetitive sometimes but overall, i’ve loved the description of anxiety through the different stages of life in a very easy and
kb
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Was excited to get into this and was into it the first few chapters. However, while I understood that the goal is to target young readers and increase awareness and extend help to them, I felt like the author simplified some things a little too much, and that the book was, to use one of today's millennial terms, ~reaching in terms of explaining what to understand and how to deal with anxiety.
Fran
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a psychologist, I feel this has some good general knowledge and helpful techniques for understanding and controlling anxiety. While the writing was somewhat uneven....a little over the heads of the younger readers and too simplistic in spots for the older audience....this would be quite useful for kids or therapists to use with young patients.
Shirley Cuypers
This book was provided by the Publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Netgalley and Jessica Kingsley Publishers !

Interesting with helpful tips!
Zoe
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book is primarily aimed at teenagers, I really enjoyed this book and found the information both informative and helpful. Full of helpful tips and tricks to use, I highlighted and bookmarked a lot of sections. I really enjoyed the last paragraph with peoples own opinions and working with their own anxiety. Would really recommend this to teenagers and young twenty-somethings, or even everybody that could do with a little hand!
Shannon Rutter
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really helpful and informative, great layout and good for young people.
Taylor (TaysInfiniteThougts)
My Anxiety Handbook by Sue Knowles, Bridie Gallagher, and Phoebe McEwen is a wonderfully written self-help type book for anxiety. This book is broken down into thirteen chapters covering everything from the basics of anxiety to how to make your own anxiety survival plan. This handbook defines anxiety and explains that it’s okay to have anxiety, in fact it’s good for you. Full of tips and tricks on how to handle your anxiety, this book is great for everyone plagued with endless anxiety. I would r ...more
Elle♣
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
*Thank you to the author and NetGalley for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

3 stars

I wasn't sure how to rate this one... I think that this would be a helpful book for schools to provide and work through with their students, because I think that this would be a good beginners guide to provide insight for people who have no clue what exactly anxiety is, and those who are maybe developing some form of anxiety and don't realise what is happening to them. Could be used a
Biz (Formerly Rachael)
Oh boy!! So this is a really difficult review to write, mainly because it's not that the book wasn't good necessarily, but more that it wasn't really what I was expecting or looking for.

This book really caught my eye because I have moderate to severe anxiety and the blurb promised coping mechanisms and stories of others with an anxiety disorder. However, after reading the book, the blurb kind of... poorly advertises the book itself.

The intended audience is honestly way too broad for any book,
Adrianne Rutherford
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
**Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of MY ANXIETY HANDBOOK in exchange for my honest review**

'Now that everyone uses social media to represent their lives to others, there is even more pressure to be seen to be successful and happy all the time.'

As someone who suffers from anxiety and has done for several years, I jumped at the opportunity when I saw this book on NetGalley. I thought it would be an interesting read to see what advice is being given to young people about h
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps

MY ANXIETY HANDBOOK, geared to ages 10-21 is a book that tries to do too much for too many people. Ages 10-21 encompasses three age ranges, middle grade, young adult and adult. Writing one self-help book to reach these different groups is a nearly impossible task. I’m a child psychologist and always looking for books to recommend.

MY ANXIETY HANDBOOK reads as if geared toward ages
Alda Nielsdottir
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I didn't expect much from this since I am a bit older than the targeted audience. This book, while intended for teens and people of college age, had some pretty useful tips that will work for people of any age who suffer from anxiety, whether one suffers from anxiety on a regular basis or just on occasion.

This book not only contains a handful of useful tips on how to deal with anxiety,
Nicoleeeleasexo
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
So, the first part of this book was helpful, but the middle to end of this book just took turn that i wasn't a fan of it. Their are some helpful tips in this book to manage stress and exercises the that tell you to try are just basically meditations. I did also notice the spelling wasn't the best towards the end of the book and the constant reference to other chapters was very unnecessary and annoying. I think that anxiety is just due to stress i'm not buying into the anxiety label that society ...more
Mah Marino | Happy Reading Co.
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
This book was given to me by NetGalley for an honest review. Thank you!

"Don't be anxious, it'll only make things worse"

Normally, I don't read self-help and "how -to" books, but the subject is very close to my heart. I have been suffering from general anxiety for a long time, so I requested this book to see if it would give me new tips or new insights of how to deal with anxiety.

I felt it had some general knowledge and some helpful techniques and tips, but as far as the book goes, the writing was
Lisa Bentley
Feb 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Oh dear.

I know the intentions of this book were good and I hate that I didn’t like it but man I really didn’t. It was repetitive and kept referring to other chapters which makes it rather clunky for an e-book. The ‘real stories’ don’t feel real due to the words of the contributors, in particular, the 12 year olds account. The vocabulary used in the account just doesn’t sound like a teenager.

I really wish I had better things to say about this book.

My Anxiety Handbook: Getting Back on Track by Sue
April
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was provided an eARC through NetGalley in exchange for a complete and honest review.

This book really caught my eye because this books seemed to be full of coping mechanisms and stories about others with an anxiety. However after reading while this book does offer coping it is aimed at too many different age groups making some of the chapters boring to someone who has an anxiety disorder for a very long while. Overall I think this book is good and interesting however I would recommend it more t
Melissa McGuire
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I've been living with anxiety for a few years now and I've gone to many therapy sessions and I've taken medication to help deal with it. There are a lot of people that say they have anxiety but dont actually have it. You will not know how bad a anxiety attack is until you experience one first hand. It literally feels like you are dying. This book is really good for young readers that are newly diagnosed with anxiety. It is not for someone that has been through hell and back trying to combat anxi ...more
Erin
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a great book for preteens or adolescents who might be just starting to learn about their anxiety. There are some really helpful suggestions on how to identify anxiety symptoms and tactics to try out to minimize anxious feelings and thoughts. Teens who have had therapy or have educated themselves about anxiety probably won't find anything groundbreaking in here, but it's perfect for younger kids who don't really have a handle on their anxiety yet.
Ari
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this as an arc. I think it does a lot of what other books do in the way of explaining anxiety. It gives good examples and would be good for someone who has no idea what anxiety is.

It also made me feel weird because it’s said to be targeted towards a younger demographic, but for the age group it is for it might be a little dry. It reads like one of my psychology texts instead of a guide for making a survival through anxiety.
Debra
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This would be a great self-help book on anxiety for teenagers. Most of the examples and suggestions were aimed towards younger people. They also discussed how to deal with the anxiety of moving or starting over at college.

I found some of the strategies at the beginning of the book helpful.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book courtesy of NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

If this review was helpful to you please click the link below.
Skylar
Apr 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was not a fan of this book at all. To me, the author made anxiety seem like something everyone faces, which is true, but not everyone has an anxiety disorder; this book made it seems as if everyone has an anxiety disorder. It also seemed to little anxiety disorders in themselves. If you are getting this to make yourself better with anxiety, don't do it, it won't help.
Cassie
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, anxiety, arc
I thought this book presents a nice overview of anxiety, especially for young people. The personal experiences and descriptions were helpful and relatable, and the techniques presented for managing anxiety are useful. I enjoyed this book.
NerdyBookishBeauty
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book free from the publisher and NetGalley for my honest opinion. I loved this book for helping my daughter.
Dee O'Sullivan
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Worth reading if you have anxiety. Some good tips on CBT and other coping strategies
Jasmine
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought that this was helpful and I feel I now know more about anxiety and how to control it. I did find parts a bit repetitive, but overall I found it useful.
Audrey
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Great book for younger teens who may have started experiencing anxiety. Lot's of useful exercises!