Start by marking “Rise (Morrighan House Witches #0)” as Want to Read:
Rise (Morrighan House Witches #0)

Rise

(Morrighan House Witches 0)

East Berlin, German Democratic Republic Grad student Ekkehard Schneider doesn't believe in magic until he discovers his boyfriend, Zven, is a pyromancer. When Zven panics and sets a police officer on fire at a riot he didn't intend to be at, Ekkehardt can't bear the thought of a life without him. Attempting to flee to West Germany together, Zven is killed and Ekkehart is l ...more
Published July 6th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published July 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Rise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise

Myriam
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amir-lane
This story is about young Ekkehardt and how he discovered magic. It is not essential to read this story before book one, but it certainly helps in understanding Ekkehardt's character and his actions in future. As he is seldom present in the next book, this story contributes greatly to his character development.
Cold and distant, as he became, it was never clear why. Well, it is definitely clear now. Ekkehardt went through hell and back. He suffered so much personal loss, that his pain became unbe
L. Rambit
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt-lit
"You didn't understand what it meant to get invlved with a witch. You still don't. And now, no matter what you say, you're going to do something else that you don't understand."

I absolutely enjoyed the heck out of this prequel novel and highly reccomend it to any fans of dark urban fantasy.

This is a story of college students in Cold War Germany. Ekkehardt, who lives with his pyromancer boyfriend Zven and a witch named Liese, is killed upon attempt to climb the Berlin wall.

When he inexplica

Alayna
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-this, read-2018
Many thanks to Mr. Lane for giving me a free copy of this book.

Actually, looking at my ever-growing TBR, I'm not sure if I should thank him or not, because now I have another series I HAVE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT!

This is a fantastic look into "how it all began." At first it's a bit hard to tell where it's going, but then you get to the end and it's all tied together and, well, as I said, now I need to know what happens next!

The writing itself is a touch rough around the edges, but not terribly so, an
S.A. Crow
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, paranormal, series
The prologue to the series but I read Book 1 first.

Still a bit of a mess: typos, clunky writing, some hand-waving around some of the supernatural stuff which can be excused a little since Ekke doesn't know what he's doing. But fantastically interesting and compelling and makes me want to go on to Book 2.

Spoiler - sort of - only if you're reading in chronological order...

(Heartbreaking to come to the end and realize just how awfully Ekke dealt with his children later - why didn't Zven intervene?)
Shawnta
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great opening to the Morrighan House Witches series. I read Shadow Maker first so going back to read about Dieter's father, Ekkehardt Schneider, was very enlightening. We learn a little about the family history and how their abilities start. When Ekkehardt realizes he is seeing spirits he suspects he also has his aunts ability but he has to completely awaken it to get his lover, Zven. The suspense and twist keeps you guessing. I was very intrigued and entertained throughout the whole story. This ...more
E.A. Shanniak
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Freaking Amazing

Amazing short story into the world of Morrighan House Witches. This book kept me on my toes, I laughed, I cried, I fell in love with all the characters. What an amazing read. I love, love, LOVED this so much
NanaShauna Joesten
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This read grabs you from the first page. You may want to have a tissue box handy. Ekkrhardt is missing his love. This is a very gripping story that grabs at the heart strings. The creation of this Author is Awesome. I do recommend this read.
Shauna Joesten
Liz
rated it did not like it
Mar 04, 2019
is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2018
Kathryn McCloskey
Jul 03, 2018

Morrighan House Witches (4 books)
  • Shadow Maker (Morrighan House Witches #1)
  • Bad Omen (Morrighan House Witches #2)
  • Panther Queen (Morrighan House Witches #3)