Start by marking “The Daybreakers” as Want to Read:
The Daybreakers

The Daybreakers (The Sacketts #6)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  4,750 Ratings  ·  214 Reviews
Tyrel Sackett was born to trouble, but vowed to justice. After having to kill a man in Tennessee, he hit the trail west with his brother Orrin. Those were the years when decent men and women lived in fear of Indians, rustlers, and killers, but the Sackett brothers worked to make the West a place where people could raise their children in peace. Orrin brought law and order ...more
Hardcover, Large Print
Published January 1st 2009 by Random House Large Print Publishing (first published February 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Daybreakers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Daybreakers

Dirk Grobbelaar
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western

…pride and whiskey are a bad combination…

I’m intent on watching the mini-series / two part TV-movie (The Sacketts, 1979), so I’m reading the books on which it is based first. Namely: The Daybreakers & Sackett. They come conveniently collected in a Centennial Edition paperback.

So, let’s see.
What do we have here?

The gunfight(s). Check.

The moments seemed to plod, every detail stood out in sharp focus, clear and strong. Every sense, every emotion was caught and held, concentrated on that man c
Jacob Proffitt
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Deciding to read the Sackett novels in chronological order was bound to have some rough jumps as they were written throughout L'Amour's career—and completely out of order. This, the sixth chronologically, was the first he published. The fourth was the last (shortly after Ride the River, my favorite so far). So I've jumped back nearly 25 years in his career with this book. And you know that's going to show.

The contrast between the books is actually an interesting one. The style is a little rockie
Lisa Kay
The Wild Ones, by artist Andy Thomas
[image error]

★★★★ This is a review of the audiobook, with excellent narration by David Strathairn. It is from first person POV, and Mr. Strathairn is at his best as a young gunslinger that uses his wits and reason as well as his talent to talk more than one man out of drawing against him. Mr. Strathairn does NOT use a falsetto voice for the innocent young female voice, but a butter soft Spanish accent. Very nice!

Still, it is a Wester
Eva
LOUIS L'AMOUR, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME???

Answer: he's broken my heart with this STUPID AWESOME BOOK AND ITS STUPID AWESOME CHARACTERS AND ITS JUST PLAIN STUPID AND HORRIBLE ENDING. Uggggggggh.

*bawls*

TOMMMMMM.
Aaron
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aaron by: Ben
The first in the long-running saga of the Sackett family, which is the sixth chronologically. Brothers Tyrel and Orrin Sackett head west and settle in Colorado, struggling against rough men and injustice as they gradually rise to the challenges of keeping their foothold in the frontier.

My first Louis L'Amour, recommended by Ben, was my first experience with a traditional Western. I'd found a gradual but significant respect for the genre in movies and TV thanks to The Dark Tower, and also noting
Tashawna
3.5-4 stars

This was the first book by Louis L'Amour that I've read, and I enjoyed it! :) I wouldn't call it my favorite type of book... it took me a while to read the whole thing, but I liked it. :)

I liked Tye and Dru. <3 I also liked Orrin, though he is bad at picking a wife. ;P Seriously, that girl was terrible.

That ending... it was sad! :( Well, it was pretty much the ending. I would've liked to see some more scenes of Tyrel and Dru, like their wedding... But I guess this is a western, n
Chris Gager
The master gets down to business right snappy as he has his narrator Ty Sackett kill a baddie and hustle up out of Tennessee in only a few paragraphs. Nothing remarkable about this, but the writing is good and the story less than 200 pages. It'll be over tonight! It's amazing how many authors chose the famous/infamous Llano Encantado as a setting. That's the "challenging" high plains environment of West Texas/SE Colorado/SW Kansas and NE New Mexico. Go west of Amarillo towards Albuquerque on I-4 ...more
Elana
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, library-book
Favorite lines

"You stick your finger in the water and you pull it out, and that is how much of a whole you leave when you're gone."

"Violence is an evil thing, but when the guns are all in the hands of the men without respect for human rights then men are really in trouble."

"Folks who talk about no violence are always the ones who are first to call a policeman and usually they are sure there is one handy."

"People have a greater tolerance for evil than for violence. If crooked gamboling, thieving
Elsie Stoltzfus
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great! Mama just finished reading it out loud to the family. Very enjoyable.
An Odd1
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
ISBN from 1980 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Tyrel Sackett ~18, fastest gun alive in Tennessee, "ugly" quiet, narrates brothers' flight west after he kills to save extrovert Orrin. Tom Sunday teaches Orrin letters, turns angry vengeful drunkard; ol' Cap Rountree stands by. Tye likes Señorita Drusilla 15 "shy of sixteen" p 16; Orrin hankers after yaller hair Laura Pritts, reminds Tye of "hammer-headed" p 11 ornery bronc, her pa kills for Spaniard's land.

1867 Santa Fe Trail p 22. Orrin
Jean
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a story! I read this decades ago when I was in high school; it was my introduction to Westerns. I loved it then and I love it now. In the Sackett series, this introduces my favorite Sacketts, Tyrel and Orrin (Tell is mentioned).

This book has it all: Bad Guys (and Gal), Good Guys, Guys Who Choose Wrongly, and True Love. Since I moved to Texas and had the opportunity to see New Mexico, I can see how well L'Amour described the land. It was a different time with different attitudes and L'Amour
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my favorite of the Sackett books, mostly because I like Tyrell a lot. Sadly, this is the only book he narrates, and therefore the only book he plays a significant roll in, at least as far as I know of. He gets plenty of mentions in other books, mostly along the lines of "What, you're a Sackett? Are you related to the Mora Gunman?" (To which Tell Sackett replies along the lines of "Sure, he's my younger brother. We couldn't ever tell which of us was a better man with a gun. Now h ...more
Darell Schmick
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Tye and Orrin Sackett, fast guns and close brothers, make up for transgressions out east by forging their way out West and bringing law and order with them. Written by the Danielle Steele of the western genre, Louis L’Amour doesn’t disappoint in his sixth installment of the Sackett saga.

L’Amour brings the reader right into the story--you feel the tension as an impending fast draw takes place, smell the gunsmoke, and (eventually) relax into the wonderfully described western big sky splendor. This
Benjamin Thomas
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western, favorites
This is my favorite Louis L'Amour western novel (out of over 75 read). It's probably because I like Tyrell Sackett so much as a POV character but I also love the Sacketts overall, especially the three brothers depicted here. Along with that, it is one of the first L'Amour books I had read back when I was in my 20s so I suppose some nostaligia effects my judgement. I've even watched "The Sacketts" movie a few times which depicts this story along with "Sackett" simultaneously.
Lisa
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was in the mood for a western and in doing some research I read that this book was the best of the Sackett series. It was a very good book and I would have continued reading the series if the subsequent books had been based on the two Sackett brothers in this book. Apparently the remaining books are about a brother mentioned but wasn't a part of this book. It was fast paced and had all the elements of a great western novel!
Kaylee Tanner
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was the perfect break from a bunch of non-fiction. the audio version was beautiful and captivating. the storyline was simple, sweet, and classic. no deep themes or poignant metaphors here, but I loved it and I now plan to have a Louis L'Amour novel always on hand for whenever I get bogged down by heavier lit
Elizabeth
Finished The Daybreakers and loved it, its so what like the movie which I happen to love, loved the characters and everything about the story just can't believe it took this long to read,while be reading the second part of it later.five stars all the way.
Vincent Darlage
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
I really enjoyed this novel. It has some interesting character growth and changes, nice commentary about the era, and great character introspection.
Ronald
read some time in 1979
Wyatt
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read The Sacketts 3 The Daybreakers by Louis L’amour. The main character is tyrel sackett. In the beginning of the book he left tennessee heading out west with his brother Orrin to look for a home for his mom. They herded cattle all the way to santa fe with Tom Sunday and Cap Rountree. In Santa Fe there was a guy named Jonathan Pritts who was trying to take don louis’s land and the don owned thousands of acres. Tyrel fell in love with the don's granddaughter drusilla and Orrin fell in love wit ...more
Oleta Blaylock
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first of the Sackett family books that L'Amour wrote. Part of the problem is that he wrote the books as the story came to him and the stories did come to him in any order. I understand that he was planning up to 17 additional books after those that were already published. This is also the only book that has a real ending. L'Amour had a way of finishing a story and leaving you wondering what else happened. This is also the first novel that he published. Most of his writing had been s ...more
Matt
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a short but good read. I respect L'Amour as not only a master storyteller, but also a well-informed historian with a penchant for learning. His facts are spot on. When he said cattle were between $18-$34 a head in the 1800s, I looked it up, and that was their price during this time period. When he spoke about New Mexico having Spanish land grants and United States citizens moving in, I had just read about this in, "The Life and Times of Mexico."

L'Amour has a deep respect for history.

Thi
Michael
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's nice to get these two books together in one collection for the same price as you would pay for each title individually in the Amazon Kindle store.

Louis L'Amour was not one of the most technical or long-winded writers, he was short, succinct, and to the point and had a way that grabs you into the story immediately. The descriptions of the scenery, events, people, and situations made you feel as if you were right there living it side-by-side with his characters.

With The Daybreakers and Sacket
Randy
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the sixth in the Sackett series and I am reading them in order. I think you get a real feel for a large chunk of history, reading these books. You also get a sense of what it was like to live during these times. The stories are fiction, but it is obvious that a lot of research was done in preparing to write them. The story lines are very good and while they don't have the vicious brutality and violence that most newer westerns have, they are rich in detail and never boring. I am thorough ...more
David Trapp
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebekah Morris
That was fun. Having never read any Louis L'Amour books before, but having watched the movie based on this book, I was interested to see what I thought. I liked it. It took me a few pages to get used to the style of writing and it being in first person, but after that, I was hooked. The characters came alive and I felt as though I was listening to Tyrel Sackett telling his story. It was one of those books that you read and time disappears. I don't image this will be my last Louis L'Amour book.
Cindi
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only my second L'Amour book but I liked his one better than the last one! This is part of the Sackett series written in the voice of Tyrell Sackett. Tye is funny and relatable which always makes for a good read. Add in a surprising ending and mix in a cute love story and it's even better! I think I see more Sackett books in my future!
jrthebutler
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, western
Brothers Tyrell and Orrin Sackett head west to start a new life. Those were the years when decent men and women lived in fear of Indians, rustlers, and killers, but the Sackett brothers worked to make the West a place where people could raise their children in peace.
Wilson E. Stevens Sr.
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This is the continuing story of the Sacketts in America, and the settlement of the west. This covers the period in New Mexico after the war with Mexico where the USA got title of Texas, New Mexico and part of California.
Peter Birch
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page turner

Maybe it's because I have lived in New Mexico and around these same areas but I really lived this story. Great author, great story, great characters, definitely worth the time to read.
  • The Spirit of the Border
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • Ambush of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #31)
  • Black Jack
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

The Sacketts (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sackett's Land
  • Sackett
  • Mojave Crossing
  • The Sackett Brand
  • The Sky-Liners
“violence is an evil thing, but when the guns are all in the hands of the men without respect for human rights, then men are really in trouble.” 23 likes
“You stick your finger in the water and you pull it out, and that is how much of a hole you leave when you're gone.” 19 likes