Start by marking “Where's My Hero? (The Gamblers of Craven's #2.5; Brotherhood - MacAllister's, #4.5; Splendid, #3.5)” as Want to Read:

Where's My Hero?

(The Gamblers of Craven's #2.5 - Someone to Watch Over Me)

Dear Avon Books,

Where are my heroes? Whenever I'm reading a book by one of my favorite authors I find I'm falling for the wrong guy -- not the hero, but the other man -- and what I really want is for him to have his own story.

Like Jake Linley, from Someone to Watch Over Me by Lisa Kleypas…that doctor could sit by my bedside if I ever got sick. And Ned Blydon in Splendid by
Published August 26th 2003 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Where's My Hero?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where's My Hero?

Dina
Feb 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Short review for these short stories...

Surprisingly - for me, at least - Kleypas's story was my least favorite. It was good, but I think it could've been better if it had been written as a full-length novel. Jake and Lydia needed more time to sort things out, IMO. But it was very nice to revisit Derek and Sara (Dreaming of You), who are one of my all-time favorite couples.

I loved MacGregor's story. Simon was a favorite character of mine since I "met" him in Born in Sin and I was happy to see him
Auntee
Jul 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Lisa Kleypas
This review is only for the Lisa Kleypas story, "Against The Odds".

Very enjoyable 93-page read, but boy do I wish it was a 293 page read--it would've been a much better story if the characters of 20 year-old Lydia Craven (Derek and Sara's--from Dreaming of You-- oldest child) and 30 year-old Dr. Jake Linley were a little more developed. I know I met Dr. Linley in another Kleypas book (Someone to Watch Over Me)?, but I didn't recall much about him except for his age and his good looks. In this st
MRB
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've always had strangely conflicting feelings about Lisa Kleypas' work. I think she resorts to eye-rolling melodrama with annoying frequency (OMG, it's yet another kidnapping by yet another cardboard villain who we've barely even heard about before page 315! I wonder if the hero will rescue his vulnerable damsel in distress?!) I also find some of her "heroes" so controlling, domineering, ruthless and malicious that they strike me more as villains, and she tends to feed into the damaging (and, i ...more
Gilgamesha
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Omg Derek and Sara's daughter is the heroine....honestly the story was short and very unsatisfactory in the sense that I wanted to read atleast another hundred pages about them....but still it Derek and Sara....and Linely and Lydia. I loved it.
Saly
I read the KM, which is the start of another off-shoot series of a Brotherhood, which kind of sounds like the Dark-Hunters. I felt the author added to Simon's history which we didn't see in previous books at all which felt forced, as in she did it to have a known character start off another series. He has been corresponding with h under his friend's name.
[̲̅ρ̲̅υ̲̅и̲̅y̲̅α̲̅]
Pamela
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
3.75 stars overall. 1st story - 3.5 stars; 2nd story - 3 stars; 3rd story - 5 stars.
kris
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Against the Odds, Lisa Kleypas
Lydia Craven likes math and because numbers says she won't find True Love, she ends up engaged to Lord Wray. This Upsets Dr. Jake Linley because of his engorged boners. When 'locked' in a wine cellar, they 'hash it out' and end up 'super in love'.

This was inoffensive if slightly undercooked. Because they were both Interested when they first met but didn't say anything, they start sniping at one another because of UST. Or something. And it's love. And Sara coordinat
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

I love the idea of this anthology, short stories about secondary characters from other books getting their HEAs. I find I end up loving a well drawn secondary character almost as much as the main ones so I thought this was a fabulous idea!

Against the Odds by Lisa Kleypas
5 Stars

This novella was the reason I was so eager to read this anthology, I am a huge fan of Lisa Kleypas, and Dreaming of You is one of my favourite books, so seeing a novella that has my book husband Derek Craven in it had me
Minh
Jul 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
I'm not sure why I continue to torment myself with these Anthologies, most of the time there's 1 slight glimmer of hope with at least 2 other hard slogs which was very much the case in this novel. Julia Quinn's name was enough to entice me to pick up this book, Lisa Kleypas helped a little as well.

Lisa Kleypas's story picked up seemingly in the middle of the story. All of the characters knew one another and were discussing events of a few days past. I couldn't relate to the characters with all
✧✦serieslover✦✧
Against the Odds
Jake Linley and Lydia Craven
3/5 Stars

Against the Odds is a novella and the third book of Gamblers series by Lisa Kleypas. It is also part of the anthology, Where's My Hero?

Favorite Quotes
"I adore every quarrelsome, terrifyingly logical inch of you... I love it that you're as smart as hell and not afraid to let anyone know it. I love your green eyes. I love the way you are with your family. My beautiful Lydia-" -Jake
"You idiot. You would wait until thirty-eight hours befor
Becca
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was an installment by three authors I typically enjoy (although I have a bit of a love/hate thing going with Lisa Kleypas).

Lisa Kleypas' story was about the eldest daughter of one of her couples from another story. She was set up to be married to a titled gentleman who shared similar interests but not passion with the heroine. Somehow, our heroine ended up deciding a few days before the wedding that she would rather be with the hero, a country doctor with too much pride, but to be hone
PepperP0t
I picked up this trio of triangles to follow the Brotherhood/MacAllister series and found that each of the shorts brought their own charm to the party.Though each story is rated separately, collectively it feels as if it should be a 4 star read.
Against the Odds (3.5stars): Being unfamiliar with this series, but determined to finish the anthology I started this story with a closed mind. However, familiarity with the author's knack for filling the most trite storyline with interesting character
Anna D.
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars - Tale of Two Sisters (Ned & Charlotte)
This was a quick story and I wish it was longer because I really like Ned’s character. However, I liked Ned more so in the other books than in this short story. He was much more charming in Minx than here, which was a bit disappointing.

In this short story, Ned & Charlotte's relationship were not developed enough for me to get too invested. I really didn’t believe Ned would agree to marry just to get his hands on a property – especially sin
Robin
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a romance anthology with three short stories:

Against the Odds by Lisa Kleypas - Bluestocking Lydia Craven believes the probability of falling in love is very low. But when she is locked in the wine cellar with Dr. Jake Linley, she just might change her mind. Cute story that suffers from the short length.

Midsummer's Knight by Kinley MacGregor - Lady Kenna falls in love with the man who answered her letters, only to find out he is Simon of Ravenswood, a common knight who is below her stati
Mimi
Aug 28, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5
Only read JQ's story so this rating and review is only for her story.
I found the story entertaining and amusing but also, although this is expected of a novella, a tad short and rushed. I would've liked a full length story for this couple because I think they had the potential to be quite interesting - I think I would've liked to know Ned better as a character and Charlotte was considerably more interesting than Lydia (although I'm sure that was intended). Fun fast read.
Amanda S.
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Anthology.

***So far I only read Lisa Kleypas story, because I followed the series. I'm going to read the rest after I read their own series.

I liked it! It's a story of Lydia, Sara and Derek's daughter. It's a bit short and the chemistry sparks way too fast yet I enjoyed it. Though not as much as the previous books, but overall I liked it!

I'm soooo gonna read Lisa Kleypas's other historical romance ASAP!
Jenny E
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 stars for the Quinn story...loved it!

3 stars for the Kleypas story...a little too short.

I didn't read the MacGregor story, as the knight/medieval thing doesn't interest me

All three of these stories are "novellas," but Quinn's story was more satisfying and I didn't feel like it was a novella at all.
Sophia
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read only Lisa Kleypas story because I haven't read the other two books, but I will! :-) So the 5 stars is for Lisa Kleypas, even though, I didn't liked that the story of Lydia and Jake was a short story and not a novel....
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
You think I would have liked the story about Sara and Derek's daughter and Jake Lynley. It was pretty good. I thought it could have been better. I loved Simon of Ravenswood's story. He's so adorable.
Michelle Connolly
This rating is for Julia Quinn's 'A Tale of Two Sisters' alone, which I thoroughly enjoyed, from the very beginning to the very last word. Bravo, Miss Quinn, for this wonderful little novella!
Rebecca (everyday reader)
All three novellas meet my ideals of great love stories and real men who can be called heroes.
Kamala
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
i only rated Julia Quinn - Blydon 04 - A Tale of Two Sisters here

...so happy that ned got his happy end, too...
Avid Booker
This was a book full of the most mediocre writing from these great authors. Now with Lisa and Julia, that means it was still good for the most part (I don't know the other lady's writing.) I know I complain about novellas all the time so I probably shouldn't read them. But sometimes I find gems! So I continue to. Anyway, on to the reviews.

Kleypas story. Barely 3 stars. Fast, oddly paced, made me put the book down for a couple months and not read a book since then. It wasn't that it was terrible.
Genieve Ong
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
1st story 3 stars
2nd story 4 stars
3rd story 5 stars (I love this one!)
Audrey
Nov 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
I seem to be on something of an anthology streak. This set of historicals provided a pleasant reading experience overall. As with most anthologies, the styles and quality varied. It's a 3-3.5-ish read overall.

Against the Odds by Lisa Kleypas: 3.5-4 stars. While I'm not necessarily one of those people who readily believes that Lisa Kleypas walks on water, I do think she consistently delivers stories and characters of quality in lush and sexy historical settings. This novella is no exception. I wa
Jessica Grogan
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh. One star for Lisa Kleypas' story, three for Julia Quinn's. I honestly didn't even read the other one. It's been so long since I read Someone to Watch Over Me that I don't remember Dr. Linley at all and I had trouble connecting with either character in that novella. Julia Quinn's novella was a little better but still nothing spectacular (a rare miss from her for me).
The_Book_Queen
When I first started reading romance, it was historical romance that got me started. And a great part of my current obsession is due to the brilliant work of two best-selling authors for this genre, Julia Quinn and Lisa Kleypas. I instantly fell in love with their work, the characters they so wonderfully painted on the pages, and the numerous romantic 'sigh' moments in their stories. I've read most of both of their books, and because of this, I haven't read anything from either one in a few mont ...more
Jaime West
Dec 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Lisa Kleypas - Lydia Craven and Dr Jake Linley
Kinley Mac Gregor - Kenna and Simon
Julia Quinn - Lydia, Charlotte and Edward Blydon aka Ned

Reading these three short stories is a great way of getting introduced to different Authors and their writing styles. I have previously read these Authors before, but I wasn't able to note the differences between them until now.

Kleypas - story has conflict, and confrontation, the heroine always has a back bone, she isn't bossy or in your face but she certainly

• Lady Whistledown Strikes Back (Lady Whistledown, #2)
  • Scottish Brides
  • A Dark Champion (Brotherhood of the Sword #5)
  • Three Weddings and a Kiss
  • Hero, Come Back
  • Talk of the Ton

The Gamblers of Craven's (2 books)
  • Then Came You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #1)
  • Dreaming of You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #2)
“I'd rather be insane with you than sane without you.

- Jake to Lydia”
97 likes
“She broke the seal to find the flowing, masculine script that had come to mean the world to her.

Courage, my love. I need you to possess the same fire that led you from Scotland to Normandy that first day when we met. Whatever the day brings, know that I will always love you. You carry with you, my heart, my soul, my very being. Be strong for me, Kenna.

Ever your knight,
S

Postscriptum
S doesn't stand for Stryder.

She laughed at that, even though her eyes were filled with tears.

-Simon in a letter to Kenna”
4 likes