Start by marking “William Wilberforce: A Hero for Humanity” as Want to Read:
William Wilberforce: A Hero for Humanity

William Wilberforce: A Hero for Humanity

Dramatized in the major motion picture Amazing Grace, the story of William Wilberforce is the remarkable account of how one man’s vision, courage, and relentless pursuit of justice brought freedom to thousands and changed the course of history. “That the greatest and most successful reformer in all history is almost unknown today is a crying shame. Kevin Belmonte puts this ...more
Published January 29th 2007 by Zondervan (first published October 2002)

To ask other readers questions about William Wilberforce, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about William Wilberforce

Robyn91856
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I didn't add this book to my reads. I think it is one of my top favorites. I listened to the movie "AMAZING GRACE" again this weekend when I was sick and went back and reread parts of the book. He is one of the most unsung heros in our times, he relentlessly founght against the african slave trade in Europe before it was a huge issue in America even. He introduced these bills into the House of Commons for over 20 years, before anything ever changed and did it against ALL odds.
He
Alana
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
While I'd have to read other biographies to determine the author's level of bias (he was complementary of Wilberforce to a fault, almost making him a saint), for the most part, he seems to paint a grand mosaic of a life that was, and still is, highly regarded for his lifelong work to abolish the slave trade in the British Empire, among other things. He describes a man who didn't just dive in to change a wrong, but strove to do so logically, and with regard to consequences for all involved.

If the
Tamara
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I felt genuinely sad when this book finished—sad to leave the “written company” of a believer who I admire so much.

This is the third biography I’ve read of Wilberforce. I already knew a fair amount about of his work for the abolition of slaves in England, which this book did cover, but it also explored his faith and personal life in more detail. The best aspect of the book was how much original source material Belmonte included. I bookmarked many direct quotes from Wilberforce’s speeches and le
Rod Innis
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book about a great man.
Lisa
Nov 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I was rating Wm.Wilburforce himself, I would give this 5 stars. I have a new hero! What an amazing man..What an amazing gift to humanity this humble man was. I'm going to search out some of his writings, especially "A Practical View of Christianity" and read what were some of his favorite authors (which I probably should have already read), Sir Walter Scott, Thomas Chalmers, Isaac Milner, William Cowper, etc.
However, to review the book itself, I would call it a "textbook" read which isn't al
Travis Roberts
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A powerful examination of the life of one of the great heroes of the western world, Belmonte tracks the arc of the abolitionists life with careful and exacting detail. Incorporation of primary sources and a robust look of his life outside the fight to end the slave trade results in a very complete portrait of the man. The non-chronological nature of the book can make an already dense read hard to follow, and one imagines Wilberforce's detractors aren't always given a fair shake - but on the whol ...more
E.F.B.
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read this for a book report back in High School. Mr. Wilberforce was a very interesting and inspirational man.
Jon
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
As I was reading the book, I was convinced I’d give it a three-star review. Kevin Belmonte did a fantastic job researching the life and context of William Wilberforce, but structuring the boom was less masterful. The book was set up with an explanation of Wilberforce’s early years coming first, which makes sense (and as Lewis argues in Surprised by Joy, often the most interesting part of any biography). The interest was kept up in telling of his conversion.

Where the flow and structure of the bo
David Wreesman
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this biography to be informative and well-written, and its subject to be fascinating, inspiring, moving, and stimulating. May we all do our fellow men such benefit in our quest to serve our God.
Tim
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a long, and sometimes tedious, book. Nevertheless, I wasn't disappointed that I took the time to read through the life of this rather amazing individual.

The author provides quite fascinating insights into the minds of Christians of the day -1750 or so into the 1830s. Wilberforce led the two decade effort to shut down the slave trade in the British Empire - not by legislative power or trickery alone, but through the much larger scale of changing the society's view of the practice, changi
Peter
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
I believe I found this book as part of David Gergen's syllabus on leadership, for which Wilberforce provides a perfect example.

However, this biography is flawed to the point of nearly reaching hagiography. To paraphrase (I've misplaced my copy, otherwise I would use direct quotations. They are easy to find.), Belmonte will write "Wilberforce was a great dad, for example, his biographer son wrote in his biography of his dad 'he was a great dad.'" Such imprecise opinions from clearly biased source
Jeff Whittum
Just when I think no title could approach, let alone match, that of Eric Metaxas' Wilberforce biography, a listen to Kevin Belmonte's biography proves me wrong. A story worthy of being written over and over again, this version stands as one of the finest renditions of it. I wish I could give this, as well as Metaxas' work more than 5 stars. They would both be well-deserving.
Bethany
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography-own
I have read a couple different biographies of William Wilberforce and this was by far my favorite. Instead of separating out his life into neat categories and discussing each separately, Belmonte took a more holistic view and wrote about his life chronologically. The book was also delightful and engaging. I would recommend this book to anyone who desires to learn more about this amazing man.
Jessica
Nov 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is a little thick, especially at the beginning, but I loved learning about Wilberforce's life and found all the details fascinating. he was a great man, and the book tells you about more than just his fight for the end of the slave trade.
Michelle
Apr 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookclub
I don't love reading non-fiction much. However, I decided to read this book after watching the movie Amazing Grace about this man, William Wilberforce, who ended the British slave trade. He was a fascinating man who was definitely led by the hand of the Lord.
Joy
Nov 04, 2010 rated it liked it
The author is obviously infatuated with his subject so at times this reads more like an advertisement than a biography. That said, the book does seem well-researched and it is usually enjoyable to read. Wilberforce is a person worth learning more about.
Susanne
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, biography
Great insight into the life of a real hero of mine.
Nicholas Francis
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome life to read. Great history, but tends to drag in some parts
Tim Sheppard
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: hard-copy
Really impressed with Wilberforce the man, but this author had me feeling like I was stuck in a long chore... I guess after reading Bonhoeffer by Metaxas, nothing can quite compare.
Nancy Garbe
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I hold William Wilberforce in very high regard, but not this biography. It is so full of details, often repetitive, that I could not enjoy the story of the man. It was a laborious read for me.
Stephanie Clark
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Great bio and read on the life of a truly amazing man.
Lance
Finished Hero for Humanity. The movie "Amazing Grace" does not appear to be an accurate portrayal of who he was.
Moneta
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the subject matter-- William Wilberforce is a remarkable man. However, it was not the most well written biography.
andrea
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of the most inspiring biographies I've ever read!
Katherine Wiggett
Zach Carson
Apr 17, 2016
Kevin Rogers
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
A well-written, readable biography of an inspiring and remarkable man.
Jj

• The Heroic Boldness of Martin Luther
  • The Roosevelts: An American Saga
  • Calvin
  • St. Patrick of Ireland: A Biography
  • The Pope's Last Crusade: How an American Jesuit Helped Pope Pius XI's Campaign to Stop Hitler
  • John Newton: From Disgrace to Amazing Grace
  • Robert Murray M'cheyne
  • Diana:  A Tribute to the People's Princess
  • Frank Sinatra: An American Legend
  • Augustine of Hippo: A Biography
KEVIN BELMONTE holds a B.A. in English from Gordon College, an M.A. in Church History from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, and a second Master's Degree in American and New England Studies from the University of Southern Maine. He has twice been a Finalist for the John Pollock Award for Christian Biography, and in 2003, his book, William Wilberforce: A Hero for Humanity, won that award. For fi ...more