Start by marking “His Lady Bride” as Want to Read:
His Lady Bride

His Lady Bride

(Brothers in Arms #1)

He was a legend on the battlefield, but Aric Neville, known throughout England as the White Lion, had had his fill of intrigue and bloodshed. So he threw down his sword and walked away, to live a solitary life, cultivating a reputation as a sorcerer. But his prized tranquility was shattered when the villagers brought him a bride. Gwenyth de Auburd was a raven-haired beauty ...more
Audio CD
Published September 5th 2017 by Tantor Audio (first published August 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about His Lady Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Lady Bride

Bambi Unbridled
description

His Lady Bride is set during the tumultuous time of Richard III's reign, shortly after Richard had his nephews murdered to steal the throne. I enjoy when my historicals include actual historical events with a re-imagining of events, motives and characters.

Our heroine is Gwenyth de Auburd, a baronet's daughter who lost everything when her parents died. After being condescended to by her vain cousins and forced to work in the kitchen by a cruel uncle, Gwenyth dreams of the days she can be a lady a
Steph's Romance Book Talk
This is the type of historical fiction I can get down with!! Just enough historical information that makes me want to know about the historical connection and enough fiction to enjoy the new journey. Since I fell into books and shows like Outlander, The White Queen, The White Princess, The Other Boleyn Girl, and The Tudors; I have looked for books that could hold my interest in the same way. This happens to be one of those books. I look forward to reading the other books in the series as well.

T
Megan
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the first half of this book but after about 45% it went downhill. Both of the MCs were idiots.. They kept assuming the worst about each other and instead of talking to figure things out they just ignored each other for week and one of them would randomly shove their tongue down the others throat and then all would be forgiven.... seriously this happened at least 3 times.

So I just wanted to hit the characters.. I just wasn't that into it.
Shasha
I seem to give medieval stories less stars, unless it's a fantasy.

Both MCs are stubbornly set on a certain path and so much time was spent at odds that I became less and less enthusiastic to continue. So much angst could have been avoided if they just TALKED out some issues. The heroine is lacking in female friends, or even one. The other female characters are unlikable.

The two future male leads were introduced and I will continue the series because they sound so different. The historical setti
Sonia189
From my blog:

One of my favorite tropes in romance is the enemies-to-lovers and all its subdivisions. This book in particular would feature a couple that besides not being very fond of one another when they first meet would also get on with the forced marriage plot, another one of my preferences if done right. Since this book was published in 2000, I was not expecting a lot of wit and uniqueness often seen in nowadays releases, but I suppose it can be complicated to add a lot of innovation in his
Elizabeth
Aug 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Great hero, ungrateful heroine.

In the beginning I understood Gwenyth's feelings. She had been raised in a loving noble family to be a lady only to then be treated as little more than a servant when her uncle became her guardian. So, naturally she was upset when forced to marry a man, Aric, who lived in a hovel and was seen as a sorcerer. However, Aric treated Gwenyth with kindness, understanding and an endless supply of patience in the face of her constant name calling and bemoaning of her fate.
penelopewanders
Somewhat annoying heroine, but on the whole a good quick read. The plot involves Richard III and his murder of the princes - first time I've encountered that particular theme in a historical romance.
Miles better than the contemporary I read by her a few years ago.
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Brothers in Arms series by Shelley Bradley. Set in Medieval England. It was just a fair book for me. Nothing really grabbed me about the story or the characters.
Jask Afsh
Seriously what was the writer thinking writing the heroine as an ungrateful bitch. There are so many things wrong with the heroine. Firstly she is no "Lady". Think about the century this novel is supposed to be based on and in those days women did not swear. At least not to the extend this supposedly "Lady"swears like a lady sailor.

Secondly she is a money grabbing whore. She gives hero hell when she thinks he is poor. All she wants in her life is a castle, money, title and to be the mistress of
Cat
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mixed feelings on this one. By reading the review I said "Totally what I like": A war-sick warrior who refuses to battle again is forced to marry a girl due to a threat on her life. They have to go through Several obstacles to find love. Not bad ain’t it? We know this. Yet the flaw is in the ridiculous explanation for both of them not wanting to accept the other one. The hero’s suffering, guilt and self-pity sounds quite logical and understandable; however, the h is totally, absolutely annoying, ...more
Metalkarin
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, historical
I don't understand the negative reviews on this book.
Yes, I agree that Gwenyth was horrible to Aric. But we have to keep in mind that it was the dark ages. Women were dependent on men. If their husband didn't provide they (and their children) would starve. She also is mistreated by her family and forced into a wedding with an alleged sorcerer.
And Aric, this proud righteous man? Well, even most modern men don't express their feelings very easily, do they?
I enjoyed the historic angle in this stor
Amy
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had a hard time putting this one down. My one complaint is that Aric is very bad about communication. He's very tight-lipped and could solve a whole bunch of problems he had with Gwenyth if he just talked more.
Debra
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historic-romance
Aric is an Earl in self-inflicted exile. Gwenyth is an Baron’s daughter, now an orphan, forced to work as servant in her own home. Aric is forced to marry her in order to protect her life. Gwenyth’s uncle has sent her to marry the “sorcerer “, unaware he has just married her to an Earl.
Wendy
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh, it was ok to pass the time doing dishes but this book was nothing special.
Iris
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn’t like Gwyneth. She appears greedy and petulant throughout most of the book and very shrewish not just fortnight and honest.
Ell
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
31/2⭐ ...more
Judith
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A medieval historical romance that is different in many ways as the hero is done with the war and politics of his day, and the heroine is a disenfranchised woman whose future has been compromised by the death of her family and the disregard of distant relatives who have forced her into the life of a servant. These two are unlikely to ever end up together but from the very beginning, they are forced together by circumstances and the way this all plays out is quintessential Black/Bradley writing a ...more
Inhaliator
May 15, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I dint like this book because it was nasty
Julie
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
ok read
Susan Parks
Gigi
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining read, filled with desire, betrayal, and passion. The characters are well written, as is the storyline.
Pamela Wagers-philpot
Jun 15, 2019
Grace
May 18, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• To Love A Highlander (Scandalous Scots, #1)
  • Desert Eden (Devereaux Family #3)
  • Sweet Mountain Magic
  • Her Scandalous Affair
  • No Ordinary Duke (The Crawfords, #1)
  • A Deal With the Devil (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #4)
  • Highland Spitfire (Highland Weddings, #1)
  • Lord of Temptation (The Risande Family, #2)
  • His Wicked Promise (MacKay, #2)
  • An Invitation to Seduction (Daughters of Fortune, #4)
  • Highland Promise (The Sons of Gregor MacLeod, #1)
  • Claimed by the Highland Warrior (MacKinloch Clan, #1)
  • Jed (Rock Creek Six, #4)
  • The Renegade and the Rose (Renegade, Rebel and Rogue, #1)
  • Gentle from the Night
  • Sullivan (Rock Creek Six, #2)
  • The Unintended Bride (Once Upon a Wedding, #3)
  • Reckless Desire (Reckless, #3)
Shayla Black is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of more than sixty novels. For twenty years, she’s written contemporary, erotic, paranormal, and historical romances via traditional, independent, foreign, and audio publishers. Her books have sold millions of copies and been published in a dozen languages.

Raised an only child, Shayla occupied herself with lots of daydreaming, muc

Brothers in Arms (3 books)
  • His Stolen Bride (Brothers in Arms, #2)
  • His Rebel Bride (Brothers in Arms, #3)