Start by marking “Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)” as Want to Read:
Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)

Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew

(Moonstruck #1)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  5,064 ratings  ·  1,048 reviews
Werewolf barista Julie and her new girlfriend go on a date to a close-up magic show, but all heck breaks loose when the magician casts a horrible spell on their friend Chet. Now it's up to the team of mythical pals to stop the illicit illusionist before it's too late.

Collects issues 1 through 5.
Published March 27th 2018 by Image Comics (first published February 14th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Moonstruck, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonstruck, Vol. 1

·  5,064 ratings  ·  1,048 reviews

Start your review of Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)
Whitney Atkinson
This was soooo fun, and what it lacked in patchy storytelling made up for in its incredible art and lovable characters. The main character is latina, fat, and queer, the love interest is black and queer (yes, it's f/f romance!), and the prominent side character is non-binary, queer, and literally a mix of kenji and kuzco from the emporer's new groove (they were SO sweet but funny and definitely my favorite part of the book). Not to mention all of these characters are mythological creatures!

I lo
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, fat-girl-gang
Absolutely perfect read for this spooky season! I’m obsessed
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: plus-sized Latinx lesbian mc, plus-sized Black lesbian li, side character using they/them pronouns, LGBT & poc side characters

OMG THIS IS THE CUTEST & MOST HILARIOUS & ALSO THE SOFTEST & PUREST & MOST LOVELY THING I EVER SEEN WITH MY OWN TWO GAY EYES
rachel ☾
#2) Moonstruck, Vol. 2: Some Enchanted Evening ★★☆☆☆

If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times before but I simply adore pastel fantasy worlds: the aus that blend modern technology with traditional mythology. You know the ones that have witches drinking their potions from Starbucks thermos and vampires that cannot take selfies? You can imagine my excitement the moment I learned Moonstruck existed. Lesbian werewolves in a pastel uf coffee shop AU? A dream come true!

From the very fir
Jean Menzies
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, lgbtq, romance
Yes, yes, yes, yes! This is the LGBTQIA+ comic book of your dreams (I promise) - bring on volume two!
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This is a REALLY tough graphic novel for me to rate and review!

P R O S :
• ADORABLE artwork
• so much diverse rep! POC, queer rep, fat rep, all kinds ♥
• some cute pop culture references (the neopets knockoff site killed me)

C O N S :
• mostly kind of boring?
• Selena very abruptly goes from SUPER SWEET to a total jerkface, why??
• everyone is SO MEAN to Julie! all the time! She makes it REALLY clear over and over that she doesn't want to be picked on, but nobody ever stops and nobody is ever call
Alison
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
3.5 STARS
I thought this was fun and the storyline was unique and interesting, but I didn't really love any of the characters and was honestly annoyed with pretty much all of them at some point. Especially because trivial things were fought about and it just made me roll my eyes a lot. It felt like this maybe should have been targeted towards a younger audience.
Mehsi
Werewolves, sweet cute romance, a hilarious centaur friend, magicians, drama, and more! This book will pull you in and not spit you out until the end.

So I have been meaning to read this book for ages, the cover was what pulled me in. These girls looked adorable and cute together and I wanted to see them get together/go on dates/etc.

But this book is so much more than just cute dates and cute romance. There is some drama and tension when an evil magician steals Chet's magic (aka his centaurness) a
Julie Zantopoulos
This was such a cute, diverse, and beautifully drawn graphic novel with centaurs, werewolves, witches, seers, vampires, and more & I loved it. It wasn't perfect, there were a lot of insecurities that never got addressed but all the same, it was adorable and I loved it. ...more
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Feb 28, 2020 rated it liked it
The art is awesome. Other than that I couldn't enjoy the rest. Not continuing with the series.
Rachel
May 09, 2020 rated it liked it
The art and premise were great, but the story was sort of a mess and lacked substance.
Erica
NOT related to

This Moonstruck is super-duper absolutely squeetastically adorbs.
SO much cute!
It stars a low-self-esteemed, overly-apologetic, floofy werewolf barista , Julie, who begins by mooooning over her new crush, Serena.

Her BFF (pictured above), Chet, is a fellow barista and a centaur who can catch dropped mugs between their horse knees. Talent! And they're also crushing madly on local heartthrob floofy hipster-lumberjack Tauren named Manuel.
In this edgy college town, there are vam
Emma
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a cute and very diverse story! I just loved the drawing style and the colours that were used, it was all so nice. Every character has its own unique personality that definitely shows on the page. I just want to see more of Julie and Selena because I feel like we didn't get enough of the two of them. I'm looking forward to reading the second volume.
Julia Sapphire

What I Liked:
- The Romance: I really liked the romance at this point. I thought Julie and Selena's relationship was refreshing and you could really feel the excitement of a new relationship. I also enjoyed the f/f romance representation.

-The Art: The art style was really nice and I really enjoyed the overall colour scheme of it. I also liked the cafe scenes and the tarot cards that are shown twice in the story.

What I Didn't Like:
- The Humor: So this is said to be a funny, witchy, romance,
Tyler J Gray
2.75

This felt very rushed. I really think it could have been so much better if it was longer and more fleshed out. Parts were confusing like...what happened. Where did the butt go? What is that guys backstory? What did Anderson say? And there are so many unresolved issues with the main f/f couple, which granted I wouldn't expect all that to be cleared up in just one volume, so hopefully that gets more fleshed out later.

Just issues here and there. That isn't to say it doesn't have anything good g
Cristina Monica
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This one reminds me of the webcomics I used to read when I was a bit younger.

The ones that I would turn to whenever I would feel anxious about something – so I could take my mind off of the stressful element – and whenever I needed cuteness in my life.

Because those are the kinds of stories that are going to make my day better. This comic definitely uplifted my mood and entertained me. It’s cute in such a way that makes you forget there is even the slightest bit of ugliness in the world.

And the
Shan( Shans_Shelves) 💜
Stephanie
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel is utterly adorable and an awful lot of fun. It's set in a college town full of happily coexisting magical creatures, with romantic subplots and a team-of-friends quest, I really, really enjoyed it. I also loved the larger message about not quashing parts of yourself (or anyone else!) to be "normal."

The writing was fun and the artwork was super-cute, but for some reason, there were a couple of key scenes in the second half where I couldn't quite follow the exact logic of what
Amy Risner
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
Hmmm. It was just ok? I loved the art and the diversity was excellent. But the writing was all over the place, Selena and Julie annoyed me, and I wasn’t a fan of the “book within a book.” Overall I was more bored than enthusiastic about the story.
Anna lost in stories *A*
Originally I gave this graphic novel 5 stars but after some time and consideration, I decided to lower it to 4 stars instead… don’t get me wrong, I still plenty enjoyed it, just not as much as I thought in the moment ;) I loved the diverse group of characters in the story, although I wasn’t the biggest fan of the actual main character… I mean, I liked her, but I truly loved more the secondary ones… the whole premise of this paranormal comic was very interesting and I am definitely curious enough ...more
Danika at The Lesbrary
I'm a little conflicted on this one. I was absolutely in love with it in the first half: the illustrations are adorable, the world is full of all kinds of magic, it begins at a coffee shop and has a cute f/f romance between two poc fat werewolves (Selena is Black and Julie is Latina). But then the relationship gets... not so cute. Selena is sometimes controlling and even insulting. Although this is addressed, I wasn't sure how I felt about it--was the relationship toxic or just flawed? I don't t ...more
Shadowdenizen
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-other
4 stars for a charmingly witty and subversive title. The cartoony art sparkles and complements the story, and the cast is wonderfully diverse and inclusive.
bri
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
"Can you really call yourself a hero if you do things that hurt the people you care about?"

This was one of my most anticipated comics and I gotta say... I'm disappointed. The art style and color palette was GORGEOUS but the plot and writing was not the best. BUT we did get lesbians and a non binary character so I would definitely recommend it in terms of diversity!! I was just super confused as to what was going on and I don't think I'll continue this series.
Summer
The art here is wonderful and there's some fun ideas within the story. However despite a good beginning the pacing felt disjointed and the story felt rushed. It couldn't adequately focus on either of the central conflicts so both felt underdeveloped.
Misty
I'm on the fence with this one. Art and world are fantastic, the plot has potential, but there's something off about the whole thing.
Full review to come.
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
I really did enjoy this one, but I didn’t love it unfortunately. The queer representation is incredible in this one. It’s just so diverse and it was so lovely to see and it had healthy fat representation, which I am all about! The story basically centers around an adorable werewolf teenage girl and her misadventures with her friends (who are also mythical creatures) and her first date with another werewolf teen girl that goes wrong but in all the right ways. All the characters are so fun and the ...more
Sonja ✧・゚。★*☾
3.7 out of 5 stars.
❝As long as I'm with you, everything is perfect.❞
I saw this graphic novel at Foyles, and I just had to buy it! Like how could I possibly resist this beautiful pastel cover featuring two sapphics??

The artwork is simply stunning, I loved the art style a lot!! I just wish the story itself was as beautiful as the artwork..

t h e
b a d
• sadly, the plot was the weakest aspect of this comic
• the story was just a bit boring..
• also, there was this whole side-arc that fe
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Why You Might Bump This Up On Your TBR:
Seeing fat protagonists in graphic novels gives me life, so I loved that part of this. It's extremely queer friendly with an f/f couple at the forefront and a (very lovable!) genderfluid (if I read that correctly) best friend character, among others. The art style, plot progression, setting, world, characters, and queer-inclusive messages were all working for me.

Why You Might Bump This Down On Your TBR:
In the third issue/chapter, the couple suddenly started
Lea (drumsofautumn)
This was so, so cute! Lots of lovely and diverse characters (Latinx lesbian MC, side-character who uses they/them pronouns and so much more), a really adorable art style that very much fits the story and it's just a whole lot of fun. I will absolutely continue with this graphic novel series!

This was gifted to me by the wonderful Melanie 💜💜
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
This graphic novel had a cute, pastel, Steven Universe-y art style. I really loved how diverse it was with a Latina main character, a Black love interest, a non-binary best friend. I just wish the story didn’t wrap up so quickly and I wish that the issues the couple had was spoken about more rather than having it be resolved so easily.

• Heavy Vinyl: Riot on the Radio, Vol. 1
  • Mooncakes
  • Bingo Love
  • Taproot
  • Kim Reaper Vol. 1: Grim Beginnings
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Aquicorn Cove
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 1: Rebels Without Applause
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2: The Show Must Go On
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Princess Princess Ever After
  • The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 1
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • Check, Please! Book 1: # Hockey
  • Sheets (Sheets, #1)
Grace Ellis is a writer best known for co-creating and co-writing Lumberjanes, a New York Times bestselling, Eisner and GLAAD Award-winning comic, though you won't hear her brag about it unless you ask her directly. She has written several episodes of the animated series Bravest Warriors. Grace lives in Columbus, Ohio, where she co-parents a preternaturally smart cat, even though she's more of a d ...more

Moonstruck (3 books)
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 2: Some Enchanted Evening (Moonstruck #2)
  • Moonstruck Volume 3: Troubled Waters