Start by marking “Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)” as Want to Read:
Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)

Magic to Brew

(Moonstruck #1)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  6,173 ratings  ·  1,247 reviews
Werewolf barista Julie and her new girlfriend go on a date to a close-up magic show, but all heck breaks loose when the magician casts a horrible spell on their friend Chet. Now it's up to the team of mythical pals to stop the illicit illusionist before it's too late.

Collects issues 1 through 5.
Published March 27th 2018 by Image Comics (first published February 14th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Magic to Brew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic to Brew

·  6,173 ratings  ·  1,247 reviews

Start your review of Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)
Whitney Atkinson
This was soooo fun, and what it lacked in patchy storytelling made up for in its incredible art and lovable characters. The main character is latina, fat, and queer, the love interest is black and queer (yes, it's f/f romance!), and the prominent side character is non-binary, queer, and literally a mix of kenji and kuzco from the emporer's new groove (they were SO sweet but funny and definitely my favorite part of the book). Not to mention all of these characters are mythological creatures!

I lo
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
Absolutely perfect read for this spooky season! I’m obsessed
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: plus-sized Latinx lesbian mc, plus-sized Black lesbian li, side character using they/them pronouns, LGBT & poc side characters

OMG THIS IS THE CUTEST & MOST HILARIOUS & ALSO THE SOFTEST & PUREST & MOST LOVELY THING I EVER SEEN WITH MY OWN TWO GAY EYES
rachel ☾
#2) Moonstruck, Vol. 2: Some Enchanted Evening ★★☆☆☆

If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times before but I simply adore pastel fantasy worlds: the aus that blend modern technology with traditional mythology. You know the ones that have witches drinking their potions from Starbucks thermos and vampires that cannot take selfies? You can imagine my excitement the moment I learned Moonstruck existed. Lesbian werewolves in a pastel uf coffee shop AU? A dream come true!

From the very fir
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This is a REALLY tough graphic novel for me to rate and review!

P R O S :
• ADORABLE artwork
• so much diverse rep! POC, queer rep, fat rep, all kinds ♥
• some cute pop culture references (the neopets knockoff site killed me)

C O N S :
• mostly kind of boring?
• Selena very abruptly goes from SUPER SWEET to a total jerkface, why??
• everyone is SO MEAN to Julie! all the time! She makes it REALLY clear over and over that she doesn't want to be picked on, but nobody ever stops and nobody is ever call
Jean Menzies
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, comics, romance
Yes, yes, yes, yes! This is the LGBTQIA+ comic book of your dreams (I promise) - bring on volume two!
Alison
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
3.5 STARS
I thought this was fun and the storyline was unique and interesting, but I didn't really love any of the characters and was honestly annoyed with pretty much all of them at some point. Especially because trivial things were fought about and it just made me roll my eyes a lot. It felt like this maybe should have been targeted towards a younger audience.
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Feb 28, 2020 rated it liked it
The art is awesome. Other than that I couldn't enjoy the rest. Not continuing with the series. ...more
Julie Zantopoulos
This was such a cute, diverse, and beautifully drawn graphic novel with centaurs, werewolves, witches, seers, vampires, and more & I loved it. It wasn't perfect, there were a lot of insecurities that never got addressed but all the same, it was adorable and I loved it. ...more
Rachel
May 09, 2020 rated it liked it
The art and premise were great, but the story was sort of a mess and lacked substance.
Mehsi
Werewolves, sweet cute romance, a hilarious centaur friend, magicians, drama, and more! This book will pull you in and not spit you out until the end.

So I have been meaning to read this book for ages, the cover was what pulled me in. These girls looked adorable and cute together and I wanted to see them get together/go on dates/etc.

But this book is so much more than just cute dates and cute romance. There is some drama and tension when an evil magician steals Chet's magic (aka his centaurness) a
Julia Sapphire
What I Liked:
- The Romance: I really liked the romance at this point. I thought Julie and Selena's relationship was refreshing and you could really feel the excitement of a new relationship. I also enjoyed the f/f romance representation.

-The Art: The art style was really nice and I really enjoyed the overall colour scheme of it. I also liked the cafe scenes and the tarot cards that are shown twice in the story.

What I Didn't Like:
- The Humor: So this is said to be a funny, witchy, romance,
Erica ♋️✨📖
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Y’all this was sooo cute!! I loved the different representations and the plot was very interesting as well. My favorite character is definitely Chet i want them to be my best friend.
Erica
NOT related to

This Moonstruck is super-duper absolutely squeetastically adorbs.
SO much cute!
It stars a low-self-esteemed, overly-apologetic, floofy werewolf barista , Julie, who begins by mooooning over her new crush, Serena.

Her BFF (pictured above), Chet, is a fellow barista and a centaur who can catch dropped mugs between their horse knees. Talent! And they're also crushing madly on local heartthrob floofy hipster-lumberjack Tauren named Manuel.
In this edgy college town, there are vam
Tyler J Gray
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
2.75

This felt very rushed. I really think it could have been so much better if it was longer and more fleshed out. Parts were confusing like...what happened. Where did the butt go? What is that guys backstory? What did Anderson say? And there are so many unresolved issues with the main f/f couple, which granted I wouldn't expect all that to be cleared up in just one volume, so hopefully that gets more fleshed out later.

Just issues here and there. That isn't to say it doesn't have anything good g
Chad
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
I appreciated the world building and diversity but I found this to be very shallow. I thought it was going to be a romantic comedy set in a magical world of mystical beings, but then Chet came along as a third wheel and completely derailed the plot. What became the plot gets resolved with no explanation other than a "whoosh". The burgeoning relationship quickly became toxic in the last two issues. This was just all over the map. I quite liked the art though. I'm sure younger readers will love th ...more
Shan( Shans_Shelves) 💜
Stephanie
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel is utterly adorable and an awful lot of fun. It's set in a college town full of happily coexisting magical creatures, with romantic subplots and a team-of-friends quest, I really, really enjoyed it. I also loved the larger message about not quashing parts of yourself (or anyone else!) to be "normal."

The writing was fun and the artwork was super-cute, but for some reason, there were a couple of key scenes in the second half where I couldn't quite follow the exact logic of what
Emma
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a cute and very diverse story! I just loved the drawing style and the colours that were used, it was all so nice. Every character has its own unique personality that definitely shows on the page. I just want to see more of Julie and Selena because I feel like we didn't get enough of the two of them. I'm looking forward to reading the second volume. ...more
Amy Risner
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
Hmmm. It was just ok? I loved the art and the diversity was excellent. But the writing was all over the place, Selena and Julie annoyed me, and I wasn’t a fan of the “book within a book.” Overall I was more bored than enthusiastic about the story.
Danika at The Lesbrary
I'm a little conflicted on this one. I was absolutely in love with it in the first half: the illustrations are adorable, the world is full of all kinds of magic, it begins at a coffee shop and has a cute f/f romance between two poc fat werewolves (Selena is Black and Julie is Latina). But then the relationship gets... not so cute. Selena is sometimes controlling and even insulting. Although this is addressed, I wasn't sure how I felt about it--was the relationship toxic or just flawed? I don't t ...more
Shadowdenizen
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-other
4 stars for a charmingly witty and subversive title. The cartoony art sparkles and complements the story, and the cast is wonderfully diverse and inclusive.
Anna lost in stories *A*
Originally I gave this graphic novel 5 stars but after some time and consideration, I decided to lower it to 4 stars instead… don’t get me wrong, I still plenty enjoyed it, just not as much as I thought in the moment ;) I loved the diverse group of characters in the story, although I wasn’t the biggest fan of the actual main character… I mean, I liked her, but I truly loved more the secondary ones… the whole premise of this paranormal comic was very interesting and I am definitely curious enough ...more
bri
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
"Can you really call yourself a hero if you do things that hurt the people you care about?"

This was one of my most anticipated comics and I gotta say... I'm disappointed. The art style and color palette was GORGEOUS but the plot and writing was not the best. BUT we did get lesbians and a non binary character so I would definitely recommend it in terms of diversity!! I was just super confused as to what was going on and I don't think I'll continue this series.
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
This graphic novel had a cute, pastel, Steven Universe-y art style. I really loved how diverse it was with a Latina main character, a Black love interest, a non-binary best friend. I just wish the story didn’t wrap up so quickly and I wish that the issues the couple had was spoken about more rather than having it be resolved so easily.
Summer
The art here is wonderful and there's some fun ideas within the story. However despite a good beginning the pacing felt disjointed and the story felt rushed. It couldn't adequately focus on either of the central conflicts so both felt underdeveloped. ...more
Misty
I'm on the fence with this one. Art and world are fantastic, the plot has potential, but there's something off about the whole thing.
Full review to come.
Amy Imogene Reads

Originally had this at 3 stars, but honestly after sleeping on it... this was not that good? Gah, that hurts me to say as I wanted to love the crap out of this.

Artwork: ★★★★★ (frankly stunning artwork)
Plot: ★ 1/2
Characters and relationships: ★★
Pacing: ★★ 1/2

Moonstruck is the first volume of a graphic novel series.

Julie is a werewolf barista working in a quaint coffeeshop with her centaur friend, Chet. Julie has a new girlfriend who she's all excited about and finds herself detailing i
Bethany
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars (rounding up)

This was such a charming graphic novel! It centers a brand new relationship between two girls in a whimsically magical world with a strong dose of humor. I had a really good time with it, although the resolution to the main plot conflict was a bit lacking. That said, it's a world you want to hang out in and I would read more from the series! Soft, queer, and magical.

• Bingo Love
  • Mooncakes
  • Princess Princess Ever After
  • Heavy Vinyl, Vol. 1: Riot on the Radio
  • Taproot
  • Aquicorn Cove
  • The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • Kim Reaper Vol. 1: Grim Beginnings
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 1: Rebels Without Applause
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 1
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Snapdragon
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Witchlight
Grace Ellis is a writer best known for co-creating and co-writing Lumberjanes, a New York Times bestselling, Eisner and GLAAD Award-winning comic, though you won't hear her brag about it unless you ask her directly. She has written several episodes of the animated series Bravest Warriors. Grace lives in Columbus, Ohio, where she co-parents a preternaturally smart cat, even though she's more of a d ...more

Moonstruck (3 books)
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 2: Some Enchanted Evening (Moonstruck #2)
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 3: Troubled Waters (Moonstruck, #3)