Start by marking “Kill or be Killed, Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
Kill or be Killed, Vol. 3

Kill or be Killed, Vol. 3

(Kill or Be Killed (Collected Editions) #3)

Brubaker and Phillips best-selling series ratchets up the tension and violence as Dylan escalates his assault on the Russian Mafia, putting his secret and the lives of his friends at risk. Both a thriller and a deconstruction of vigilantism, KILL OR BE KILLED is unlike anything this award-winning team has done before.

Collecting: Kill or Be Killed 11-14
Published January 23rd 2018 by Image Comics (first published January 17th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Kill or be Killed, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Sam Quixote
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-comics-2018
He may be trying to leave his murderous past as a masked vigilante behind him but the god-dang Russian Mob won’t stop hunting Dylan. To protect his loved ones, Dylan must… Kill or Be Killed!

Kill or Be Killed, Volume 3 is a thoroughly entertaining closer to the first act of this increasingly compelling series. Ed Brubaker finally delivers on the explosive opening scene from way back in the first issue of this series - where Dylan is stalking through a building with a shotgun shooting everyone le
David Schaafsma
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow wow wow! This series just keeps getting better! One of my very favorite comics series of the year, as it was last year, now volume three! I got this and sat down and read it in one sitting, without getting up once! I hardly breathed, it was so good. And that includes my rereading some of it just to see the careful plotting, all the interconnections, as one expects from the best of noir crime comics.

As you may know or want to know, Dylan, a kind of loser-ish guy, who fell in love
Kemper
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Has a college student become a masked vigilante killer because he’s been cursed by a demon or because he’s mentally ill? Maybe a little Column A and a little Column B?

The third volume finds Dylan coping with revelations indicating that the whole demon thing might be all in his head which leads to him trying to put down the shotgun and try to get back to some kind of normal life. Which actually kinda works for a while, but it’s hard to just quit being a vigilante when you’ve got the R
James DeSantis
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brubaker, please keep making these as fast as possible, and Sean, please keep drawing them at the same speed, because this series is the one comic I'm always looking forward to when I see a release date.

So Dylan decides it's time to drop the killing. He's ready to be happy, live his life with his new girlfriend, and try to leave it all behind. What happens when a Russian Mafia member begins sniffing around and nearly finds Dylan and so he must kill again. This time though he decides no more was
Richard
For the past two volumes, we've understood that Dylan's vigilantism is a result of his manipulation by an apparent demon looking for him to do it's bidding. But here, the idea starts to firm up that there might be more to it than that. As Dylan begins killing not because of fear of the demon but in an effort to escape the Russian mob, and getting very good at it, we get the sense that it might not be the work of the supernatural at all, but that it might just be a something that's been dormant i ...more
Jan Philipzig
Brubaker and Phillips continue their merciless in-depth examination of the good ol' vigilante concept, and the result is an increasingly twisted little page-turner of a comic book that walks the line between idealism and madness to more and more absorbing effect. Can't wait until my library gets the next volume!
Artemy
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kill or Be Killed keeps being a perfectly written action-thriller. The story moves at a breakneck pace, and Brubaker finally fulfils the promise he made in issue #1 of the series, where we saw Dylan, the main character of the book, shoot up a brothel full of russian mobsters in a brilliant flash-forward scene. Now we know why he did it, and I really liked all the details that led up to this point in the story. To be honest though, I am getting a bit too disturbed by Dylan and his moral choices. ...more
Donovan
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Three volumes in, Dylan is now stuck in a perpetuating loop of recovery and delusion, between normality and murder, making for a misstep in character development. The story knowingly repeats itself, and can’t decide whether it’s a supernatural or psychological thriller, keeping the reader in an imagined and somehow faltered suspense. More disappointing is the futility of Dylan’s new mission, once killing villains to please a demon, now hilariously taking down a crime organization just because he ...more
Ona
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every chapter just blows my mind and leaves me wondering what would come next.

No doubt it's the best graphic novel that I have read this year. I'm so happy that I discovered this masterpiece and his author Ed Brubaker.

I don't wanna give you too much story and content of it, so just go and read it. ENJOY!!!
Ayman Gomaa
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Drama + Action + Mystery = Amazing comic with a hell of a story xD

Dylan continues his war against mobs and bad people with many mystery shown from his past .
Dylan keeps his way with kill first and talk later , this is a good point coz i hate ppl who talk before they kill until something happened and we act shocked , so hail for Dylan for get the job done :).

I am hooked to this series now and reading Vol 4 already .
Rod Brown
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Dylan starts to take on Punisher-like efficiency in his vigilante murder spree. Brubaker meanwhile maintains a fascinating balance between mental illness and the supernatural while really nailing an engaging narrative voice for our troubled protagonist.
Wing Kee
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
And we get more escalation.

World: The art is fantastic and I can't say anymore about it. It's one of the reasons I read this book, the noir just seeps out of the book. The world building is also really solid and continues to build upon itself. I like how once again this world and the perspective we see is from Dylan making the world his and his alone.

Story: The story moves along at a quick pace the story moves well. The continuation of the story is well done and I can't really say anything els
Rory Wilding
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
At the start of this volume, we see our vigilante hero Dylan once again donning the red mask, shooting baddies in a decrepit apartment building, so not much has changed. Although Kill or be Killed has never broken any new ground from the very beginning in terms of being a gritty crime noir, of which Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips have tackled before on numerous titles, it does seem like the duo is trying to change things up at this point. As we know Dylan will return to his gun-toting persona, it’s the ...more
L. McCoy
...Holy fuck...

What’s it about?
Umm... a bunch of things that readers of the first 2 volumes already know about that I couldn’t describe without making those who haven’t read the first 2 volumes confused and/or spoiling things so yeah, I’ll skip that.

Why it gets 5 stars:
The story continues to be a fantastic mix of crime drama and horror, I love it.
The artwork is fantastic. I gotta applaud the amount of detail in this comic’s art!
Now I’m a bit more i
Roy
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I just found the story unbelievable. I wont give any spoilers but Dylan is just an average college student but he seems to complete every task with ease no matter the consequences or difficulty. The psychological issues were less of a plot device until a certain point. Random plot twist with Dylans family as well which didnt seem planned. I feel like this story is being made up as it goes without an end point planned at all. Will wait for Vol 4 but in no rush.
Frédéric
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, comics
I just can't praise this series enough!

This third volume goes full circle with the introductory scene of issue #1 and explains it all. How Dylan went against the Russian mob all by himself.

Even then Brubaker cleverly manages tension with flashbacks and meta comments. I just couldn't put the book down because I needed to know what happened next and I needed to know it now! There are not that many books out there that can hook me up this way.

The final page was great. It could end the
Crystal Starr Light
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bullet Review:

I continue to enjoy the hell out of this series - so funny, because I remember vividly hating Dylan in volume 1 and thinking he was a loser. This volume answers some serious questions, poses others (but not in an annoying way), and loops back around to the series opener (which I had totally forgot!). That end panel is TOTALLY intriguing; I cannot wait to see where Brubaker and Philips take this series.

Other than perhaps Velvet, this is my favorite Brubaker/P
47Time
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dylan was diagnosed years earlier with a mental condition that can result in manic episodes. This explains the demon who stops making any other appearances after Dylan gets back on the proper medication. Dylan gives up the mask, returns to his college work and gets back together with Kira.

In the public eye the masked serial killer hype fades slowly, but surely. Only the Russians are looking for Dylan, so he decides to fight back via Tino, one of the mafia's collectors. He threatens T
chantel nouseforaname
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I still love the series even with all the fucking madness that has been happening in Dylan's life. I feel that his character is getting muddled up; more dark and twisted and a little less likable. I can tell that that narrative is on purpose tho; it kept me on my toes because I kept wondering what is this crazy gonna do next? I love that.

The artwork is on point as usual. I can officially say, I'm committed to the series and am queuing up Kill or be Killed 4 as I type this.

I keep wondering how
Sooraya Evans
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Still a good volume. Dylan works straight to the point. He doesn't waste time when it comes to killing. Just point and shoot. No lengthy speech. That's what I like best about his character.
Steven
Dylan takes the Russian mob head on in this volume and he also learns more disturbing things about his past and the demon. Great art as usual from the Phillips and Breitweiser team. Overall I like the story. In this volume, though, Brubaker goes further afield with the meta-fictional aspects. At one point Dylan says I know I'm the worst narrator ever. And then he says, it can't all be action, can it? I suppose this is Brubaker's attempt to make all the meanderings and backstory investigations fe ...more
Craig
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I continue to like this series, but I still don't "love" it, if you get what I'm saying. The vigilante killer storyline just seems beneath Brubaker and Phillips. They should be pouring their talents into something a bit more meaty, something like Fatale or The Fade Out. The artwork here continues to be topnotch, though the story does seem to be spinning its wheels somewhat (it took how many issues for the main narrative to catch up with events from the very first issue?). Still, it's entertainin ...more
Morgan
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-comics
I haven't been a big fan of the series so far. I still don't care for too many of the characters, maybe that's the point. However, I did enjoy this volume compared to the last ones. There some family drama involved and it seem like the next volume questions will be answered.
Zedsdead
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wonder if there's a way for me to make Goodreads automatically 5-star anything published by Brubaker and Phillips. What a time-saver that would be.
Ilana
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
So it turns out Dylan had turned into a vigilante killer and was offing one deserving bad guy each month to satisfy a demon, who would otherwise kill HIM. Hence... “Kill or Be Killed”. But it turns out Dylan had been off his meds all along and of course THERE IS NO DEMON! Well, of course there isn’t, you say. Yet he is driven to take on the Russian mafia because they are after him. Logical enough. But as he digs into his family history, he finds out he had a long lost brother who committed suici ...more
Drown Hollum
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
What an absolutely phenomenal book. Kill of be Killed might be THE BEST comic coming out right now. It's a masterwork by two masters, and every page drips with deliberate certainty, utter confidence that it is the next natural progression of the story. The dialogue is great, the narration is brilliant, and the characters capture that human element for which Brubaker and Phillips are known. The portrayal of mental illness in this book is one of the most real, hard hitting depictions I've ever rea ...more
Steven
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best ongoing comic series being written today that I know of. Brubaker is a veteran of the industry, and it’s easy to see why.
Jay
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Other than maybe The Fix, this is my favorite ongoing series right now. Brubaker is the Freddy Mercury of comic crime writing.
Vicenta
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Just WOW.
Kenny
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
The devil made him do it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Private Eye, Volume Two
  • James Bond, Vol. 2: Eidolon
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 5: Bound by Blood
  • Richard Stark’s Parker: The Outfit
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central and Uncanny X-Men. In more recent years, he has focused solely on creator-

Kill or Be Killed (Collected Editions) (4 books)
  • Kill or be Killed, Vol. 1