Start by marking “I Walk with Vanessa: A Story about a Simple Act of Kindness” as Want to Read:
I Walk with Vanessa: A Story about a Simple Act of Kindness

I Walk with Vanessa: A Story about a Simple Act of Kindness

Inspired by real events and told only in pictures, this is an empowering picture book from a New York Times bestselling husband-and-wife team about one girl who inspires a community to stand up to bullying.

This simple yet powerful picture book tells the story of an elementary school girl named Vanessa who is bullied and a fellow student who witnesses the act and is at firs
Published April 24th 2018 by Schwartz & Wade Books

To ask other readers questions about I Walk with Vanessa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Walk with Vanessa

Mischenko
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I Walk with Vanessa is a wordless picture book that teaches the importance of kindness and empathy towards others. I picked up this one not knowing exactly what it was about, but it deals with bullying.

Vanessa is a young girl who’s been bullied on the street by another boy. Others in the neighborhood have witnessed it and it makes them all sad. A girl down the street decides that she wants to do something about it and she tells other students. She decides to meet Vanessa for school in the mornin
Starjustin
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I absolutely loved this children's book that teaches children, as well as adults, the importance of kindness from the majority to overcome the few bullies in the world. Beautifully illustrated picture book that includes a page in the back that lets children and adults learn some helpful ways to help in both circumstances. A definite 5 star children's book!
David Schaafsma
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A wordless picture book in comics format that teaches a simple lesson about empathy/bullying, followed by a list of tips for kids and adults on the topic. By the husband and wife team of Marie Pommepuy and Sebastian Cossett, who gave us the younger horror story, Beautiful Darkness (which is a very different book, which is cool), and illustrated Malala's Magic Pencil. Sweet, with lots of color (and lots of ethnicities).

Come on People, Smile on Your Brother, by The YoungBloods:

Hilary
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Primary school libraries
A new girl moves in and starts school. She feels lonely and one boy is mean to her. Another girl notices and goes to call for her in the morning, she tells her friends and soon everyone is making sure she doesn't feel lonely. A nice story, told without words. A great book to have in school.
La Coccinelle
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I didn't realize when I picked up this book that it's a wordless picture book. But, sometimes, those can be really powerful.

I Walk with Vanessa tells a story about a girl who is new to town. Nobody really seems to welcome her, and even worse, a bully picks on her after school. Another little girl notices this, and it troubles her. So, the next day, she starts a chain of kindness that ends up impacting many.

The illustrations are quite cute, and an interesting thing is done with the colour palette
Jillian Heise
Wordless picture book about being the new kid, bullying, stepping up and not being a bystander, and simple acts of kindness that can make a difference.
Pair with Bluebird and Each Kindness
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cybils
A beautiful little wordless book that is the simple story of how one person's decision to help another person can lead to an entire community of help.
Richie Partington
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Richie’s Picks: I WALK WITH VANESSA: A STORY ABOUT A SIMPLE ACT OF KINDNESS by Kerascoët, Schwartz & Wade, April 2018, 978-1-5247-6955-0

“Madness is what you demonstrate
And that’s exactly how anger works and operates
Man, you gotta have love just to set it straight
Take control of your mind and meditate
Let your soul gravitate to the love, y’all”
-- The Black Eyed Peas, “Where is the Love?” (2003)

“There is no more neutrality in the world. You either have to be part of the solution, or you’re goin
Kate
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an entirely wordless, children’s picture book. It depicts a girl who is excluded from a group of friends walking home together. Another child notices this and convinces the group of friends to walk home with Vanessa.
Latanya (CraftyScribbles)
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: School libraries, child psychologists, Parents
Shelves: children, society
Kerascoeet presents a simple tale - wordless - about how a gesture, pure of heart, can change someone's outlook. This book teaches the young how bullying affects other children by using pictures highlighting the brief story.

Perfect for the very young - 3 to 5 - I Walk with Vanessa serves to demonstrate empathy and kindness in a world showing so little of these traits.

4/5
Christine Luong
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Beautifully illustrated book about kindness, compassion, and bullying. Unfortunately, while my 3-year old loved the illustrations and mommy’s made up story, she only wanted to read it twice (she usually reads library books as many times as the days they are checked out) because “This book has no letters. I want to read this with letters.”
Peacegal
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humane-education
A delight! This is a wonderful book that celebrates how a simple act of kindness can start a chain reaction that shuts down a bully. A gentle, wordless story with characters reminiscent of the "Peanuts" children that kids everywhere will be able to relate to.
Ricki
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I had a phenomenal conversation with my four-year-old while reading this book. It's geared more toward elementary schoolers, but this book will be well-loved by children and adults of all ages. It's stunning.
Chance Lee
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-it
Inspiring wordless book to prompt conversations about bullying with children. Illustrations are smart and sweet. Last page includes tips on talking about empathy.
KC
This wordless story takes us on a journey of true kindness and inspiration, one person at a time.
Mrs. Krajewski
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A wordless picture book that needs to be shared widely to encourage more simple acts of kindness like the one in this book.
Laurie
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: K-3

What would you do if you saw someone being bullied? Would you jump in and help or would you walk away? In this wordless story a new girl at school gets bullied and no one comes to her aid. However, one little girl sees everything that happens and it really bothers her all through the night. Will she do what is right or will she stand back and let the bully win? Read this incredible wordless book about trying to fit in, being new to a school, hurtful words, and finding friendsh
Livia Bacchi
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A wordless picture book for children, with a message about kindness and empathy. My almost two year old daughter likes the pictures, finding Vanessa on the pages and the way I tell her the story to go along with the drawings. And I believe the message about friendship and kindness already makes an impression on her, despite how little she is.
Rachel
Wordless book expresses such a wonderful sentiment. Gorgeous illustrations.
Amber
When the new girl, Vanessa, is bullied after school one day, her soon-to-be ally notices but doesn’t act. For the rest of the night at home she thinks about Vanessa’s obvious hurt and humiliation and how she would have felt if their roles had been reversed. The next morning she knocks on Vanessa’s door to walk her to school, a small but important act of kindness that restores hope in Vanessa.

A whimsically illustrated, wordless picture book about a little girl who just moved to town and the girl
Beth
The new girl Vanessa is bullied on her way home from her first day at school and one of her classmates can't stop thinking about her for the rest of the night. While the story is wordless, the images are powerful and can help spark conversations about what empathy means and how we can find the courage to follow the voice in your head that tells you to do the right thing.
Mary Lee
I loved that the girl who helps Vanessa is deeply troubled when she sees Vanessa being bullied. It bothers her almost as much as the bullying bothers Vanessa. Her solution is brilliant, and she leads by example. There will be so much to talk about when I share this book in my classroom!
Edward Sullivan
Simple, effectively empowering wordless story.
Beverly
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-general
Very sweet story told entirely in pictures.
Emily
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece-2nd, 3rd-5th
another amazing wordless book that will allow students to write their own words and come up with their own ideas for how to help solve the problem.
Tara
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wordless picture book that will still give you all the feels!
Shauna Yusko
Wordless picture book. Every elementary classroom will want to share this anti-bullying story!
Racheal
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really nicely done wordless story about a little girl who sees the new girl on her block being bullied/ostracized and decides to be a friend to her.
Kristina Jean Lareau
A beautiful wordless picturebook about bullying.
Jen King
Annotated Bibliography Entry: I Walk with Vanessa by Kerascoet
Text Set: Kindness
Genre: Wordless picture book

Summary:

I Walk with Vanessa is a wordless picture book about Vanessa who is the new girl in class. The story starts out with Vanessa being pretty isolated from other kids, which is normal for new students as they are not familiar with the school or the other students. However when Vanessa is going home that day another boy comes up to her and says something that hurts her feelings. Another
Husband and wife team of Marie Pommepuy and Sébastien Cosset.

The story is that they were faced with signing both their names and possibly taking up too much of the cover, so they decided to name themselves after Marie's parent's village in Brittany.