Start by marking “Zero Waste: Eliminate Your Trash, Simplify Your Life, and Heal the Earth” as Want to Read:
Zero Waste: Eliminate Your Trash, Simplify Your Life, and Heal the Earth

Zero Waste: Eliminate Your Trash, Simplify Your Life, and Heal the Earth

Easy and Effective Strategies to Jumpstart a Sustainable, Waste-Free Lifestyle We have a worldwide trash epidemic. The average American disposes of 4.4 pounds of garbage per day, and our landfills hold 254 million tons of waste.

What if there were a simple--and fun--way for you to make a difference? What if you could take charge of your own waste, reduce your carbon footpr
Paperback
Published April 3rd 2018 by Skyhorse Publishing (first published June 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Zero Waste, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zero Waste

Megan
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I've been pretty daunted by a lot of "zero waste lifestyle" books and articles I've read, and mostly end up feeling really guilty for not having already thought to do/ done some of these lifestyle changes. This book really makes "zero waste" feel less overwhelming- it's comprehensive, funny, and a lot of it makes actual sense. Su gives you examples on how to do what you can, and doesn't ever guilt you into feeling like if you can't fully commit to zero waste, your efforts don't even matter.

I hav
Jessica Gillies
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: environment
Visually appealing and full of practical and realistic tips.
Suzie
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really great intro into a zero waste lifestyle. Especially liked the pictures.
T.
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, non-fiction
I found this book ok. Maybe it's because I've been reading and researching this topic for a long time. It's a friendly, chatty book and a better place to start than Zero Waste Home and I say that because some areas felt really lacking. I was confused as to what location she was coming from: Japan? Canada? Europe?

I also found issue with the formatting of the book. Half the book is reasoning and chatty and suddenly shifts into recipes. There's also no conclusion.

Lastly, it ends in worm composting
Colona Public Library
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: april, non-fiction
I want to reduce my carbon footprint and stop wasting so many things, so I picked up this book. There are tons of examples in this book of how to accomplish this. Some are easier than others. The author was not "preachy" which I liked. She understood that some things were not for everyone. That anything you do to produce less waste is a victory. She did bring to my attention things that I really did no think about, For example, we all buys things that we only use once and throw away. We should s ...more
Aubrey Joy
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been wanting to get more into a zero waste lifestyle for awhile now, and this book has given me the push to actually go through with it!

I was just browsing Barnes and Noble with my mom and she came across this book and pointed it out to me. She and I have been going on a small sustainability journey together, so the title stood out to her. I immediately had to have it, and here we are.

I love the concepts that were talked about in this book because it really does make so much sense to be mor
Karen
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a super quick read and if you're not new to learning about zero waste efforts, you likely won't pick up a lot of new info here. For newbies though, it would make a great introduction to how to go about decreasing their waste in every area - food, body care, cleaning, etc. She includes recipes for various home cleaners as well as for hair/body care and gives suggestions for avoiding many types of trash. While not much was new to me, I love seeing books like this being published because th ...more
Andrea
Oct 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe her blog is fun to read once in a while; I haven't seen it. This book was extremely irritating. No philosophical, thoughtful underpinning, just a bunch of trendy gobbeldy-gook. The advice often contradicted the principle she supposedly espouses. "Catch-penny" is, I believe, the old-fashioned label for a book like this.
Bookcrazy

Interessant, ein paar Anregungen werde ich ausprobieren z.B. den Rohreiniger, Putzmitteltipps, aber alles umzusetzen wäre mir viel zu anstrengend. Das Buch schneidet auch kurz den Minimalismus ein wenig an. Bei ein paar Bereichen hätte ich mir ein wenig mehr Details erhofft.
Außerdem, vielleicht sollte man um Müll zu sparen, dieses Buch auch nur als Ebook verkaufen?! Wobei dabei natürlich auch viel Energie und Ressourcen verschwendet werden... Gar nicht so einfach...
Christine
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Jetzt mal ganz abgesehen vom Inhalt (der war großartig), hat mir persönlich bei der Kindle-Version durch das nicht vorhandene "Page Flip feature" leider die Übersicht gefehlt - vor allem beim Hin- und Herblättern zwischen den Rezepten.
Juliane
Sehr empfehlenswert! Toll geschrieben, alle wichtigen Themen werden angesprochen und verständlich erklärt. Ein super Start in ein müllfreieres Leben!
Jina
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed these helpful tips on living a zero waste lifestyle. I was actually a bit surprised to learn that I’m not as terrible at the average consumer. However, I do feel like the full-on lifestyle is a bit extreme and over simplifies some things. For instance, rye flour and apple cider vinegar might work for straight hair, but as a girl with naturally curly hair, I have to have the shampoos, conditions, and other hair products I use. Also, going completely toilet paper free seems a bit ...more
Deena
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love the concept of zero waste, and this book definitely provides plenty of inspiration and practical ideas for reducing one's waste. Although some of the tips and strategies are not always realistic, depending on one's family size and where one lives, it is a great reminder that we can all do better and more to reduce our waste. I am much more aware of excess packaging and how best to avoid it after reading this book. I dream of the I will live in a city with a zero waste / bulk food s ...more
Anna
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't intend to go completely zero waste (and Shia emphasizes depending on where you live, going zero-waste can be impossible), but this book has a lot of great tips in drastically reducing waste. Shia reminds us it isn't about recycling more- it's about buying wasteful products less (but, yes, recycling is still important). It would be nice if there were some sections on children (I don't have any, but I'm sure that is a big waste area) and pets, as I would like to reduce in the pet area. Sti ...more
Rachelle
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Zero Waste... provides helpful beginning knowledge about reducing consumption and moving away from human high reliance on fossil fuels and natural resources. Great resources and suggestions are included, as well as infographics and pictures that aid in explanations the author details. This is an extreme lifestyle, and most people will not be able to follow everything listed. Every little bit counts, so if you are interested in learning more about zero or reduced waste, check out this book.
Courtney
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this easier to read than Bea Johnson 's book for a few reasons. She does seem as oblivious to the difficulties some people might have in reducing their waste, it's less preachy (though Zero Waste Home isn't terrible, really), and it's quicker. If someone is interested in getting started, I would definitely give them this book first.
Christa
Makes us aware of how unsustainable this consumable lifestyle is. I am old enough to see this all play out. Started in the movie the Graduate with the famous one word message, “plastics.” Look at us now. If you haven’t been aware of the trash problem this may be an eye opener for you. I have been minimizing my trash generation the last few years, so there wasn’t anything new to me in this book.
Stephanie Hatch
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This books was an easy, breezy read with lots of great photos. Most of this stuff you can ferret out online but here it is all packaged up nicely for your convenience. It is somewhat more geared toward folks with a more "city" infrastructure I think but still useful for those in isolated pocket communities.
Lilly Mary
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I don’t want to be too hard on this book. It’s a light, easy read with a few good ideas but it’s a bit dated and probably needs a revamp. Most of what it suggests people have been doing for at least ten years (not that there int still a huge waste problem) but I felt it was a surface skimmer not an earth breaker.
Rebekka (bookjungledweller)
Ein schönes Buch für den Einstieg in Zero oder Low Waste. Übersichtlich gegliedert, immer auf den Punkt, lässt erst mal keine Fragen offen. Man kann direkt mit dem Umsetzen beginnen. Die kleinen Rezepte sind auf wenigen Zutaten aufgebaut so dass man sich nicht erst mal in Unkosten stürzen muss um anzufangen und hinten im Buch findet sich eine tolle Liste an Alternativen für reguläre Produkte.
A quick and easy read, but many of the tips are not new, and some are very time intensive. It is good at getting you thinking about how easy it is to buy into our disposable culture, and how thinking ahead can help you avoid needless waste.
Josephine
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, paper-copy
Good reminder to me to buy less and be more aware of the packaging, components, and ingredients of the products I buy. I really like when she says stop thinking of ourselves as consumers and instead think of ourselves as members of a community, which is to strive for better, not more.
Denise
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-chosen
I'm going to buy this. Some ideas may seem obvious to others but she puts them in such a simple way that most of this sounds doable for me. And I love the recipes for home made laundry detergent, soap, etc.
Janet Berkman
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Good motivation on my journey to lower waste.
Helen
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice starting point and easy steps to start.
Emily Kamminga
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad, information about important topics like this are becoming more readily available.
Kari
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
quick book with tips and suggestions for reducing your waste without any judgement.
Shelby
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An excellent beginner's guide to going Zero-Waste. There was a lot of information that I was already familiar with, but I also learned many new things as well.
. amber .
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
This was really helpful book that I'm probably to reread as a reference book and probably make my mom read.
Nora
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Very good introduction to zero waste!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »