Start by marking “Brush with Love” as Want to Read:
Brush with Love

Brush with Love

Lana, a talented Ivy League artist, and Walt, a small-town farmer, couldn't be more different. She arrives in Bluegill, Idaho, ready to spend the summer painting, excited to study under Walt's grandpa, a brilliant but aging artist. The more she is thrown together with Walt though--and the more she spends time with him--the more she realizes her heart may be drawing up its ...more
Published October 10th 2017 by Bonneville

To ask other readers questions about Brush with Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brush with Love

Jacob Proffitt
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chaste, romance, lds
This is, like its main theme, a hidden pearl. It'd be easy to overlook and it has some rough spots, but I found myself completely wrapped up in the story and with a final impact that left me thrilled and very emotionally satisfied.

There are two problems and a minor genre issue that are in the way of this being an untarnished win. The main problem, and one that will lose the most readers, is that the main character, Lana, is a withdrawn soul who has spent most of her life hiding from practically
Katie W
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
If you had a chance of a lifetime to study your passion anywhere in the world, I doubt you'd pick Idaho, but that was Lana's luck of the draw. Lana's heart is ice because of a childhood trauma. As much as she wants to love, she just can't drop the barrier, even for herself. This summer art experience helps her grow in many ways, but I wanted it to come together a little bit more so that I could make sense of it.

The characters are definitely quirky and hilarious, and I would have loved more depth
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
First I have to say that I really love this cover. I love the colors and how perfectly it represents what is inside.

Although this book started out slowly for me, I enjoyed the gentle progression of getting to know the characters. Lana is an interesting girl- full of contradictions, really. Other than being able to paint, I'm not sure she really even understood herself. I certainly didn't for most of the book but she pulled through in the end and I loved her for that.

I didn't understand Grandpa'
Kelly
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: clean-read, 2017
This story is about a girl who was adopted as a young girl from Siberia. She has memories of her mother taking her and dropping her off at an orphanage. Of a not so nice worker that slapped her in the face. Of being ridiculed there. She's had a frozen heart since then. Her adoptive parents loved her, yet she still is mostly frozen. She is an adult now, a graduate from Yale in the Arts. She is in a mentorship and somehow she is sent off to Bluegill, Idaho. There, she is left with a man who has Al ...more
Mindy
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. There are some funny moments and very sweet moments too. I loved how Lana and LeVan clicked and their little conspiracy together, that was enjoyable. Walt was my favorite. I loved him. He's devoted, kind, and just an all-around great guy. The banter between Lana and Walt and Lana and LeVan was very fun and left me smiling. Lana was hard to relate to at first, as she's not your typical "romance" main character. She wears all black, died her hair black, but she also has a ...more
Melissa
Brush with love is a unique well written story about a girl breaking the walls of ice around her heart. It is a sweet and heart tugging story. I really had to put this down about half way threw and leave my expectations out of it. Everything that I thought should happen I had to let go of and just let the book tell me it's story. It was a good one and I kept getting in the way. Lana is a great example of someone who's life experiences have shaped them and as they grow older realize that they wan ...more
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
There are so many things that appealed to me about this book! The theme of adoption and the struggle Lana had with being loved and expressing love was a strong one for me. I loved that she is an artist and I related to her on that level as well. The relationship with her friend Ingrid showed Lana's lighter side, and helped it not seem out of character when she connected with Walt even though it was not what she normally would have done. I loved the setting of rural Idaho with an array of charact ...more
Rachel
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars

Reviewed for www.compassbookratings.com

Overall Review:
Brush with Love is a charming and winsome novel written by Lisa McKendrick. Set in present-day rural Idaho, the book has an original and entertaining storyline. Lana makes for a fascinating protagonist and her character development throughout the story is profound. Main man Walt creates many sweet and tender moments. While Lana and Walt are engaging characters, aging artist and grandfather LeVan steals the show. His compassion, hu
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love reading romance novels with something significant going on outside of the romance. This book had an amazing plot with the mentorship bewteen LeVan and Lana. All of the characters came to life for me and I was rooting for their successes. Also, there is a stellar first kiss.
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
BRUSH WITH LOVE is a story full of heart, art, and romance. Set in a small town with wide open spaces, some fun characters, and a charming old man who is trying to do one more thing before he loses his battle to Alzheimers, will charm readers. While friendships and sweet romance will bring a smile to readers' faces and tug on their hearts. Christian and LDS romance readers are sure to adore this story!

I loved this story! I loved the characters (even the quirky ones), the setting, the very sweet
Cathy
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so great! I loved Lana, in the first chapter of the book, you learn a lot about her and how she lives her life. She's at a beach wedding, but knows that kind of wedding isn't for her. Her best friend, Ingrid asks her what kind of wedding she'd have, but she doesn't ever really answer. She wants a wedding in a Temple, but she's a bit afraid to tell her friend about being a Mormon. I loved the way you see Lana change throughout the book. The girl who dances around questions like this ...more
Emmy
Sometimes life does not go as you plan, from a young age Lana was abandoned by her mother in a Siberian Orphanage. Never really able to over come that abandonment she turns to art to express her feelings. When Lana is awarded a prestigious opportunity to train as an artist overseas, it feels like her dreams are coming true; but when the program takes an unexpected turn and she ends up in a small town in Idaho, her life will never be the same.
This is a good clean romance that covers feelings o
Susan
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I was enjoying this one -- the characters, the setting, the voice/writing style -- until the story made a wild segue around Chapter 24 (it was such a strange, startling change that I thought it was a dream sequence). After that, the characters stopped developing and the story felt too rushed, too far-fetched, and way too insta-lovey. Especially after that, this novel felt like a second draft that still needed to go through some major editing/shaping to strengthen the story by adding needed confl ...more
Brooke Berry
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lana is a young artist from Florida who is sent to study with a retired prominent artist in Idaho. When she arrives she learns that the man is suffering from Alzheimer’s but days later seems to be the only person to recognize a coherent moment and is able to work with him. From working on paintings to discussing the meanings of life, their unique friendship is a joy to read about.

I loved this story. I recommend reading it quickly and no overthinking the details too much. The more I think about
Amy
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clean Christian/Mormon romance.
The female main character is talented and determined with a bit of neurotic thrown in.
The male main character is something of a caricature of the perfect man and seems absent from so much of the story that I didn't get much of a connection to him. The author didn't include any of his perspective so he's just sort of big, strong, and handsome. His few outbursts of temper give him a bit of depth.
The secondary character of the grandpa carries the story although his si
Francesca
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
So I actually read this sometime in the summer, not sure the exact date but I did read it in a few hours.

I really enjoyed this book! I could relate to the main character because we are the same age and I haven’t been in a relationship before so I related very well.

It is a chick lit but it’s pretty funny and not horribly cliched. The main girl was interesting and the other characters all had personalities which made it more enjoyable to read.

It is an LDS romance but I like how they talked about
Kelly Garnett
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A work of art!!
I chuckled out loud. There were such relatable moments for me. It was like a good therapy session. Ahhh..to experience the depth and humor in life through "Brush With Love." It left me renewed!

I have read all of the author's books. I am impressed with how the characters lives are woven together and seemlessly draw me in. Whether it's living on the farm, being an artist, caring for an elderly parent, I am there. More than once, I caught myself chuckling. The humor is so well done.
Kirsi Johnson
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was probably more like a 3.5 for me, but it’s worth rounding up. I enjoyed getting to know the town of Bluegill, Idaho and its residents. Lana was an interesting character, Walt was sufficiently swoon worthy, and LeVan helped to add levity and depth to the story. Worth a read!

Ps. For you grammar sticklers, be warned. There are quite a few hiccups in this book. Specifically with quotation marks. There were a few times I had to reread something because of the lack or random insertion of
Jessica
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reminder to self...I Love this story didn’t realize that it was about a Mormon girl, but that didn’t matter. Loved this book, love reading about anyone doing art and reaching for her dreams. I understand all about
Alzheimer’s the repetition, the being stuck in the past, and the need for routine. Love ones struggling and trying to make their loved ones happy comfortable. The author gave humor to a very tough subject and it with care. Would suggest to friends. Good Christian read.
Valerie
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This would have been a 5 star if it hadn't been for all of the typos. Seriously, the quotation marks were thrown in there like confetti. It confused me because there was no rhyme or reason. But other than that little distraction, it was a fantastic story. The grandpa was my favorite (aside from him not telling his family he was in temporary remission). He was so funny. And the love story. Swoon. Really so great! Fun read!
Caroline Nelson
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I found myself laughing, crying and smiling while reading this book. Lana is an amazing artist that finds herself in Bluegill Idaho for the summer. There she creates lasting friendships and may even brush up with love.

Loved this book and will definitely recommend it to friends, acquaintances and even my enemies if they ask.

Carol
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely LOVED this book! I laughed. I cried. I didn't want it to end. I fell in love with the characters.
I felt I knew them personally. The author described each character and scene so well, that I was able to envision this beautiful , sweet Love story as if I, myself were there. If you love an innocent, good old fashion romance? This book will tug at your heart!
Lydia
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My heart was truly touched by the story. The mixing of two artists, LeVan, an Alzheimer victim and Lana, an abandoned orphan, created a story full of love, tears and laughter. Lisa did a great job with pulling you in immediately, constructing an unique story and pulling on your heart strings. Add to that a sweet romance and you have a wonderful novel.
Kathryn
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun read that was so enjoyable. The play on words, LeVan, who has Alzheimers, but is having a miracle of lucidity is laugh out loud hilarious and wise. Lana’s childhood memories are just so mind catching that it keeps you reading to see how everything works out! Who can resist a handsome, hard working farmer.
Amy
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this romance between the black-wearing artist and the Idaho farmer. I kept thinking of Minerva Teichert, and then I read that Teichert's life inspired this story! The romance wasn't actually my favorite part--I loved the conversations about art and meaning and choices. Great, quick read.
Shelley Frohm
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice clean Romance

I enjoyed this book throughly. It was a refreshing romance novel with subtle sub plots and threads. Seeing LeVan’s determination to complete his mural as a gift and a blessing for his posterity enriched the canvas of the book.
Peggy
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, lds-fiction
I love this story but so many problems in copy editing brought it down from 5 stars to 4. And if you say you went on a mission to Detroit, don't later refer to it as Philly. But the story itself was wonderful.
Heidi Pack
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-favorites
beautiful tale of change and Alzheimer's. loved it but only recommend it to those with a strong constitution - there were dozens and dozens of editing errors. spaces, quotation marks, enter missing. It was frustrating and distracting, but still a really good story.
Heather Green
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so so cute! I made my daughter read it after I was finished and she loved it too. The characters were complex and the situations real. I laughed out loud quite often. A quick read that leaves you feeling good and smiling. I would read this one again. Appropriate for any age. Clean.
Kristen
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was a decent book, but there were a lot of editing errors and that was too distracting for me. I did enjoy the main character and her mentor.