Start by marking “Almost Dead” as Want to Read:
Almost Dead

Almost Dead

(San Francisco #2)

A WOMAN WHO WANTS TO GET EVEN . . .
The first victim is pushed to her death. The second suffers a fatal overdose. The third takes a bullet to the heart. Three down, more to go. They're people who deserve to die. People who are in the way. And when she's finished, there will be no one left...

WILL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES FOR REVENGE . . .
Cissy Cahill's world is unraveling fas
Published January 30th 2018 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Dead, please sign up.
Amanda I just received my copy a week or two ago too. There's not much you can do, other than go back to your Giveaways page, filter it to "giveaways you've…moreI just received my copy a week or two ago too. There's not much you can do, other than go back to your Giveaways page, filter it to "giveaways you've entered" and then sort it by "won", and when you find it in the list, there should be a button you can click that says "I did not receive my copy." Goodreads will contact the person who hosted the giveaway, but that's about it. If they still don't send it, you're just out. Having said that, though, I just finished reading this and it honestly wasn't very good, if that's any consolation.(less)

Christine Kirchoff
I read this awhile ago but I never rated it on here. Great book!
Vin9
Feb 29, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am so annoyed by these so called "thriller writers" who disguise the book cover and plot on back cover to make the novel seem a first rate thriller whereas the novel is a harlequin romance duplicate with a few pathetic "suspense moments" thrown in.

A few dreadful things about this book-

* Heroine Cissy is a spoilt narcissistic bitch who thinks she is superior to everybody and is clearly rude to all her family members who even care to give her a time of the day.

* For the whiny heroine the only th
Susan
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read many Lisa Jackson books and have liked them all. I found this book to be very long and boring. There seemed to be no plot at all and the ending was predictable. This was one book that I considered not finishing. I was glad when I finally got to the last page.
Anita
Personal biases aside, this was actually not as bad as I had been expecting, though not as great as I'd hoped for either.  While the beginning was kind of slow to get into, and the characters were hard to really relate with or like, this was overall pretty entertaining with a plot twist that was actually quite startling, in a good way.

Still, lots of plot holes, and try as I might, I couldn't really get myself to like any of the characters.  Even the sometimes adorable toddler got annoying at tim
Juanita
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review: 1CAlmost Dead 1D by Lisa Jackson. This is a great book. I recommend it to all lovers of suspense, muders, mystery, thriller and most of all REVENGE. It was a book I had a hard time putting down. The story was amazing and keep me on guard. I would think one way the story was going and it just kept changing. It was an intriguing and an exciting book to read.

The story was about a well known three generation Family. In that family there was one secret and that secret was about to be exposed.
Sheila
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty involved murder mystery involving the rich and privileged in San Francisco. When the matriarch of the wealthy Cahill family is murdered in her mansion the suspicion falls on her daughter in law who recently escaped from prison. Several murders follow and things aren't always what they appear. Good story.
Paula Brandon
Oct 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This features - hands down - the most horrid main character I've ever had to endure in a book. Ever! I HATED Cissy. HATED!!!! I wanted the killer to finish her off. She was HORRIBLE.

Did I mention how much I hated Cissy?!? Oh my God, she was awful. Stuck-up, snotty, entitled, belligerent, irrational....you name it!
Steffanie
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book, I thought I had it figured out pretty early on but there were quite a few twists & turns I hadn't thought of. A good read, quite a few times I found myself not able to put it down.
Rebecca
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
I'm not sure I will be reading anymore Lisa Jackson books as I've found the more I read them, the weaker I find them. I felt this one especially was really, really repetitive. Cissy would tell Jack to leave, he would stay, she would accept it. The next morning she would 'come to her senses', he would leave - then return the same day, and she would make weak protests and accept it. Meanwhile her family members are getting bumped off so a bit of the chapter would be about that and how Cissy was pa ...more
Teena in Toronto
Jul 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a big book ... there were a lot of pages. Which was fine but it didn't have to be. It could have been cut down a lot.

The writing style was okay. The story was so-so ... kind of convoluted. I didn't buy the ending ... the "whodunnit". At the end, I said "whatever". If I say too much, I'll give it away so I'll leave it at that. And I didn't really care about any of the characters except for Coco, the dog.

Would I recommend it? No.
Alexis
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW. this book kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Literally until the Epilogue. I don't think I've ever been so excited about a book. Just when you think you have bits and pieces figured out it throws you for a loop & then you're like "oh for sure I understand it all now..." NOPE. Definitely recommend if you enjoy Murder Mysteries. Cannot wait to start my next book by this author.
Adreanna
Jun 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't even finish this book, sadly. I love Lisa Jackson but this book was so dull. it seemed like the only thing going on was one character complaining about her ex husband. then another character complaining about never leaving the house. someone dies and there is MORE complaining. couldn't finish it
Dani love
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very good, it caught my attention at the very beginning. I was very confused because of the little parts of the girl in the hospital. At first I didn't know who she was, And when I realized who she was. I was shocked to the bone.
Larry
Nov 07, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just about fifty pages in, here's my review: insipid, dull, insulting.
Gloria ~ mzglorybe
Having read this author before I expected more realism than I got. Especially where it referred to the main characters 18-month old son, BJ for Brian Jack. And as if BJ wasn’t enough of a short nick name, often referred to as Beej. 🙄 I’ve never seen (but not saying it’s impossible) a baby that young, still in diapers, talking in sentences and using words like “pigheaded.” Asking mommy if she was sad, etc. That was just a slight annoyance but I found myself skimming through other parts of what I ...more
Laura Agnella
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love mysteries and Lisa Jackson is definitely a well known author in this genre. I've read a lot of Julie Garwood's mysteries and this was recommended to me by a friend. This was a good story and I really like when I can't figure out who the murderer is, but it lacked the edge of your seat/can't wait to turn to the next page feature. The story was interesting and enough to keep me going and there were definitely some moments of suspense and intrigue. I just felt like it needed a bit more excit ...more
Nour Hajeer
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Almost Dead" is by far a highly cultivated combination of dexterity and perplexity!
If you are a reader looking for a thriller/suspense novel then THIS IS YOUR BOOK!♡
You'll be over-your-head and on-the-edge-of-your-seat due to all the enigmatic events!!!!
And IF you try to speculate what's going to happen and foresee something, don't hold your breath! Because you'll dumbfounded and flabbergasted of all the unanticipated, mind-boggling and startling turning points you'll encounter!!
This page-turne
Annette Watson
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great suspense

I definitely would recommend this series. Lisa writes and keeps you in your toes. I hope she is able to bring the Cahills back for another story.
Mahareni Sukadi
Berjam2 stlh bc buku ini,perut msh jg terasa melilit.Ntah krn blm ilang tegangnya,ntah krn emosi tlh diaduk2 tnpa ampun...I dont know.
Mrs. Jackson sukses mnggiring persepsi pmbaca k arah kiri,sdg d akhir crita trkuak klo prsepsi pmbca hrsnya k arah knan.Bnr2 sukses bkin gw trkecoh bangeeet,smp was2.
Stlh bc endingnya...legaaaa.Meski gw msh agak bngung dg motif trjadinya all that crime,tetep deh gw ksih 5.
Mirella Grace
Ceritanya tidak seseru buku pertama tentang Marla Cahill. Tapi terus terang saja, cerita tentang Jack Holt bener bener bikin saya penasaran. Seganteng apa sih doi...

Anyway anyhow, another good book from Lisa Jackson. jadi nyadar juga kalo di luar sono mungkin aja ada orang yang psycho seperti Deidre Lawson...
Judy Churchill
The plot was complicated and well executed, but character development was somewhat lacking. It was a story so filled with bad people doing bad things that it made me a little nauseated. This book is marketed as a suspenseful book and that is definitely what it is.
Joan
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Late for her weekly visit with her grandmother, Cissy Holt reaches Eugenia’s Cahill’s home, pizza in one hand, young son in the other . . . and finds her grandmother dead, apparently from a fall down the stairs.
A second death follows shortly after Eugenia’s and Cissy realizes that someone [perhaps her escaped from prison mother?] is killing off Cahill family members. Will Cissy be next? Or can she solve the mystery of who is murdering her family . . . and why?

This intense narrative, although a
Dale Safford
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't liking this book early on because I couldn't find anything likable about the main character, and she was divorcing her husband who was a perfectly good man. Then it got better as she and her husband reconciled and worked together to give their little guy a good life and combat the bad things going on around them.

Cissy Cahill's prisoner mother Marla has escaped, and now her wealthy grandmother Eugenia Cahill is murdered in her own home. The family fortune is going entirely to Cissy, and
Jodi
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read, kindle
I'm glad I read this rather than listened to it. This book is a somewhat sequel to If Only She Knew only this we are following Cissy Cahill, who is all grown up with a child of her own. Her mother has just escaped from prison and family members are dying right and left starting with Cahill family matriarch and it is clear that Cissy is on the list. At first, suspicion is on Marla but it just doesn't seem likely. Marla was an indifferent mother. While she might have murdered others, Cissy would n ...more
Leann
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dan
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I can recommend this book for young thriller readers that like action and don't demand a lot else from their story. I am not one of these. I liked that there was a tight plot for this novel and it provided some suspense, but I had problems with it too. For me the situations were handled in overly melodramatic fashion. Also, I like surprises, but those surprises are when one was given every opportunity to see that a situation was one way, but it turned out to be another. In this book, the author ...more
Amanda
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: won-in-giveaways
I received a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

I've always loved a good murder mystery, but this one commits a lot of murder mystery party fouls. When the plot twists occur at the rate of three or four per page, they become predictable. There is no explanation for many of the turns, almost no background information on several of the characters, and honestly, not a whole lot of motivation for the killer. The ending seems extremely rushed, while the beginning seemed to drag on forever. Occ
Cassidy Ostergren
Although Lisa Jackson is a decent writer, I feel as though half of her novels are nothing more than the characters' back-and-forth thoughts. This book could have easily been cut down in size if all the "telling" rather than "showing", repetitive internal monologues, and unnecessary dialogue between the H/H was reduced or removed. It certainly would have helped move the plot along. I could feel the Zzzzs coming on.
Maya
Apr 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly disliked this book soo much. I don’t think I’ve ever found a book more annoying and repetitive in my life (And I love to read!), Cissy was constantly complaining about her mother and family. I get it, your personal life isn’t the best, but complaining isn’t going to change it. And the husband... it was a love-hate relationship with him. I pitied him because he was falsely accused of cheating, but he was so pushy. I just quit the book about 100 pages in.
Misha Zamarripa
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book thinking it was a murder mystery book. I'm just a gal that goes to goodwill to pick out a book to believe mystery/murder, reads a few paragraphs and the back and if it seems good I buy it. I wasn't expecting it to also be a twisted love story, triangle whatever you would call it. It always seemed to throw twists at you. I evenjoyed it and would read more of the author if there similar.
  • The Dying Game (Griffin Powell, #7)
  • And Then You Die
  • Kiss Her Goodbye
  • See No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • Hush
  • Acts of Mercy (Mercy Street #3)
  • The Third Victim (Quincy & Rainie, #2)
  • Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #5; Evil #2)
  • Guilty as Sin  (Deer Lake, #2)
  • Enchantress (Medieval Trilogy, #1)

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Don’t Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver.  She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jackson’s books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a natio

San Francisco (2 books)
  • If She Only Knew (San Francisco #1)