Start by marking “Farewell, My Lovely” as Want to Read:
Farewell, My Lovely

Farewell, My Lovely

[Penguin Readers Level 4]
Published March 13th 2001 by Penguin Longman Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Farewell, My Lovely, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farewell, My Lovely

Tony
Nov 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, 2013, reviewed
“Penguin Readers” editions are rewritten in simplified language for learners of English, with restrictions on both vocabulary and grammatical structures depending on the level.

Sometimes this works well. Here, it doesn't work at all. The original is pretty much entirely about the language and writing, but this "translation" loses almost everything, sometimes even to the extent of making the meaning quite confused.

For comparison — the original has an elaborate multi-page section of him arriving at
Ron
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The ur hard-boiled detective, Philip Marlowe, in all his glory. Hard drinking, quip-throwing, understated and overheated, the witty/jaded/sarcastic quips that end many paragraphs were almost too much. But in the end, it didn't cross the line. Interesting to see all of the classic detective novel elements, and described in charmingly archaic language, though the unpurged epithets (for italians, slovaks, african-americans, women, gays, etc.) in the early edition i was reading were a little disturb ...more
Benedict
Jul 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have a special space in my heart for great pulp writing. I could not spend 10 years on a desert island with pulp such as Raymond Chandler, L'Amour, Zane Grey, and Edgar Rice Burroughs but I can give a listen (on Audible.com) and feel the time well very well spent.

Elliott Gould does a couple stories on Audible.com that is simply great. His reading introduced me to the feeling and "sound" of Chandler's stories.
Namiko
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like it. The way the author writes made me laugh. For example, in a scene that the "smelled" man attacked Marlowe "I smelled the man behind me just before he took me by the throat and lifted me into the air. I stopped breathing. The only good thing about that was that I couldn't smell him any more."
Michele Bariani
Apr 19, 2014
Nicky
rated it it was ok
Jul 04, 2018
Rachida
Nov 10, 2017
Sidra
rated it did not like it
Aug 29, 2010