Start by marking “Kindred Spirit: A Biography of L. M. Montgomery, Creator of Anne of Green Gables” as Want to Read:

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  163 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
A clear-eyed, fascinating look at the life of Maud Montgomery--the author of the Anne of Green Gables books--and the obstacles a woman faced in creating a life of her own early in this century. Includes bibliography and index. Photos.
Published October 1st 1993 by Atheneum Books

To ask other readers questions about Kindred Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kindred Spirit

Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book really brought Maud to life. Done in a strong narrative style, it feels as though you're reading a fiction book. One of the top ten people I wish I could've met....I think we would've gotten along pretty well. Really enjoyed this book, read in about a day.
This is a charming biography of L.M. Montagomery, the author of the Anne of Green Gables books, many other children's books, several adult novels, and many poems and short stories. Born in 1874, Maud Montgomery was raised by her grandparents on Prince Edward Island after her mother died and her father traveled to western Canada. In addition to her writing, she had a strong interest in photography and the occult. She married in her late thirties to a minister, moved to Ontario, and raised two son ...more
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The second of two YA directed biographies I recently read about Lucy Maud Montgomery MacDonald, , the first being Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery by Harry Bruce. Both are based on her selected journals, letters and other bios and an autobiography, so both are quite accurate. This one covers her whole life fairly evenly while the other focuses on her childhood and life up to writing Anne. I found the bold print of this book less easy on the eyes than normal print is.
Aer Bluewilson
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, the author kept it very interesting. It never was tedious to read, and I am aware that this book is often placed in the children's section in libraries. I think that if you are interested in reading the biographies of L.M Montgomery, this is the book you should start with, because it directly and factually tells you the more fascinating things about her life. I was sad to see that while her books bring some much pleasure and lightness to the reader, her life did not mirror tho ...more
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent little book of this beloved author's life, told intelligently for older children. There is enough detail so that even an adult gets a well-rounded picture of the personality, life and challenges that faced L.M.Montgomery, yet not so much that an inquisitive person won't wish to know more. Photographs add interest and authenticity to the account, though some are dark, and facial features in particular are not always discernible. Effort is made to show the correlation between ...more
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
When I started this book I was certain that the tone and style of book targeted it at children and teens. I was initially disappointed in the language and writing style used. I did finish the book and found that author got into the groove of writing and wrote better towards the end. I think the problem was that L.M. Montgomery left so many journals that Catherine M. Andronik had trouble culling through materials.

I ended up liking the fact that I got an overview of L.M. Montgomery's life and like
Jun 30, 2009 rated it liked it
I was given the Anne of Green Gables book one year for my birthday from my granny when I was a girl, so when I came across the biography of L.M. Montgomery at our library's book fair, I couldn't resist not buying it. I didn't know anything about L.M. Montgomery. Since "Kindred Spirit: A Biography of L.M. Montgomery" was written for children, it was an easy read and I must admit I did enjoy reading about her life though I do wish she had a happier marriage.
I have handed over the book to my daugh
Apr 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I picked up this children's biography at a used book sale at my local library. I love Anne of Green Gables, and I enjoyed learning the basic facts of the author's life by reading this book. Lucy Maud Montgomery was an intriguing woman who lived under the constraints placed on women in the early twentieth century in rural Canada. Yet, she was able to become a woman who followed her dream of becoming a writer and a very successful one at that. She also asserted her rights via the courtroom in chal ...more
Crystalee Beck
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it
It's always interesting to learn about the life of an author. I'm a fan of L. M. Montgomery, who now feels more like a three-dimensional person to me. Her life wasn't always as cheery as her writings of "Anne" makes her seem. I never knew she wrote so many other books or that she grew tired of publishers forcing her to write about Anne. Nor did I realize she had to sue her publisher to maintain her rights or that she suffered quietly while her husband dealt with depression. She was a woman befor ...more
Oct 23, 2012 rated it liked it
I picked this up at the library in the childrens section while looking at books with the kids. It's a childrens biography, that I read in one sitting. It was interesting and helped me understand the author and books better. It was fun seeing her real life portrayed in some of the books. I think it also helped me realize why some of the books in the Anne series are so much better then others. Depending on the time they were written she either loved writing about Anne or was doing it simply becuas ...more
Apr 13, 2008 rated it liked it
This book did a good job of following the main events of L.M. Montgomery's life, but I feel it lacked much beyond that. For being a book about the woman who penned Anne of Green Gables, it certainly lacked imagination and great storytelling. Montgomery's life was so fascinating, I felt that the author just kind of delivered the facts. Either way, I enjoyed learning mroe about the author's life. It was a quick read as well.
Aug 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful overview of L. M. Montgomery's life. It is by no means a thorough biography, but it would satisfy her largest audience - young girls who want to know more about Anne's creator. As an avid reader of all things Anne, I was especially delighted by the many things Andronik pointed out Maud and Anne shared in their histories.

This book best serves as a jumping-off point for people really interested in Montgomery, as it is not very detailed.
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This biography was very good and I loved the snippets from Maud's journals, volumes I plan to find and read, but I do wish the book had been less of a summary. I had hoped it might be longer and more in depth, but then I think it was written for people younger than me. It is still very well done and worth the read, though.
Jul 05, 2009 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book as a simple overview of the life of L.M. Montgomery. It explores her early life and loves, and shows us how she became published and famous. We also catch glimpses into her troubled marriage, but done very tastefully - it's not written like an expose. This book was an insightful look into the life of one of my favorite authors.
Aug 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is written for a young audience, so it doesn't go into great detail or depth on L.M. Montgomery's life and life in Canada. For the age level it is meant for, I thought it was well written. It was fun to learn more about one of my favorite authors.
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A quick, enjoyable read. It is a young adult book and the info is geared toward that audience. I'm certain there are more in-depth, sophisticated analyses of Montgomery's life, but this is an excellent overview for readers of all ages.
Mar 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed learning about the author of Anne of Green Gables.
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you are a fan of Anne of Green Gables, this is a must read for you. This biography of L.M. Montgomery gives great insight to the creation of Anne with a 'e'.
Jul 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
A writer as good as Montgomery deserves much better. This reads like a not-very-good master's thesis. I don't recommend it.
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Though an important biography, as it is one of the first, Kindred Spirits is certainly not the best or most thorough Montgomery biography out there, but a good place to start.
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love Anne of Green Gables. It's such a great character and this woman lead an amazing life full of trials and yet, she wrote an endearing novel. Good read. Great for the women in my life.
Nov 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
It is amazing that someone with such challenges wrote with such optimism.
Alison Livingston
May 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book I idolize this woman even more. Her life wasn't an easy one but she always found time for the things and people she loved. She was overly imaginative and a child at heart.
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Because of my love for Anne of Green Gables, it is no wonder I love this kindred spirit!
Dec 16, 2007 rated it liked it
Very simple but fun to learn more of a favorite author.
Dec 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Enjoyed learning about Montgomery's life and now have a better understanding of her novels.
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I hadn't realized this book was written for children (older). This made it a quick read but I enjoyed learning about L. M. Montgomery.
Mary Yau
From what I remembered, it was a very good book. I couldn't put it down.
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Aimed at younger readers but nevertheless interesting.
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
A readable biography of L. M. Montgomery's life. It touches on the good and the bad, and it left me wanting to know more.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Looking for Anne of Green Gables: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and Her Literary Classic
  • The Alpine Path: The Story of My Career
  • The Tale of Beatrix Potter: A Biography
  • Louisa May Alcott: A Personal Biography
  • Elizabeth Gaskell: A Habit of Stories
  • Anne of Green Gables Cookbook
  • Twelve Days in December (Hearthfire Romance, #3.5)
  • Florence Nightingale: The Making of an Icon
  • All the Presidents' Children: Triumph and Tragedy in the Lives of America's First Families
  • White House Nannies
  • Mail Order Bride Collection: A Timeless Romance Anthology
  • Charlotte Brontë: A Passionate Life
  • Mothers of the Prophets
  • The Jane Austen Cookbook
Catherine M. Andronik is a library media specialist in a Connecticut high school. She has written nonfiction books for readers of all ages.
More about Catherine M. Andronik...

Nonfiction Deals

$11.49 $1.99
  • Evangelii Gaudium: The Joy of the Gospel
  • The Heart of Christianity
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence
    $13.99 $3.99