Start by marking “A Calendar of Wisdom” as Want to Read:
A Calendar of Wisdom

A Calendar of Wisdom

Over the last fifteen years of his life, Tolstoy collected and published the maxims of some of the world’s greatest masters of philosophy, religion and literature, adding his own contributions to various questions that preoccupied him in old age, such as faith and existence, as well as matters of everyday life.
Banned in Russia under Communism, A Calendar of Wisdom was
Published June 21st 2017 by Alma Books (first published 1906)

To ask other readers questions about A Calendar of Wisdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Calendar of Wisdom

Start your review of A Calendar of Wisdom
Amanda
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A precious collection of quotes and snippets of text from The Talmud, The Bible, The Qur'an, The Bhagavad Gita, various poets, authors, and other religious, philosophical, and cultural texts. Hand-picked carefully by Tolstoy. One page for each day.
Maggie
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My bed time great companion. It smoothes one's thought and is very inspiring in different school of thoughts, covering from the East to the West, ancient to now. It is too lucky of us to have this book as Tolstoy finished it as one of the biggest projects before his death. Tolstoy, why everytime I flip over a page of your words with hesitations, with the doubts in myself of being incapable of taking in your great thoughts and with fears of my book thay would run out sooner with one more page ...more
Raymond
A good source of wisdom quotes from Tolstoy and others. Several quotes with a common theme are featured for each day of the year.
Tara
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a thought for every day that is encouraging and true
Marina Fraser
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a great collection of wise thoughts
and quotations by
great writers
from all over the world
Christina
Feb 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, personal-library
I gave this book a shot from January 1 til mid-February, but it's just not doing it for me. It's too religious. I prefer The Daily Stoic, which I find 10000x better and more suitable for my life.
Rob
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a sort of daily proverb calendar compiled and/or written by Leo Tolstoy. There are 365 pages of quotes, philosophical ramblings, or scriptural verses that are tied together by a topic. The topics include such things as wealth, poverty, education, intellect, science, faith, effort, prayer, civility, self-improvement, and so on. Tolstoy borrows from a variety of religious texts, particularly the Gospels and the Talmud. And there are certain authors and philosophers that he tends to ...more
Aidan Reid
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some gems in here:
"When you emerged into this world you cried, while everyone else was overjoyed. Try to see to it that, when you leave this world, everyone cries, while you alone smile."
"The more accustomed we get to doing with less, the less threatening we find deprivation."
"Wealth is like manure: it stinks when it is piled up, but when it is scattered about the Earth it fertilises it."
"Look upon your thoughts as if they were your guests, and your desires as if they were your children."
Cheri
Jan 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not realize how much religious content would be in the book. There was however a lot of other material I enjoyed reading. I particulary enjoyed reading about the various quotes on vegetarianism. A nice book to read through and go back to your favorite verses for inspiration.
Mark Esping
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be read one day at a time. Starting my third time through. Amazing the people that Tolstoy read. I always read the days readings before breakfast and then my wife and I start the day with those topics.
Amro Osman
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I lost count how many times I've been inspired throughout this book. A truly eye opening read.
Marina M.frazer
i keep it on my desk
and read a page a day
Natalia
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a joy to have around the house.
Octavia Cade
It's always tempting, when reading the great novelists especially, to try to sift through the text to discover something of their own, personal opinions and beliefs. It can be tricky - we can misinterpret, or see things we want to see, or even ascribe meaning where there is none, particularly. With a book like this it's easier: Tolstoy made his own "quote of the day" calendar, essentially, except there's more than one (themed) quote per day and he adds a little piece of commentary of his own - ...more
Robin
Jan 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am giving up on this pretty early in the year.
I read ahead a few days, and in the first 10 days, I found only about 3 daily thoughts of wisdom that I enjoyed. Most of them are taking from religious books which while in theory could be good/interesting are so far written in very old styles that don't really add anything.

The only good quotes sofar came from Thomas Jefferson and Confucius, and there must be much better books out there with a much higher ratio of good quotes to bad quotes.
So
Joy
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love quotes, so Tolstoy's selections on varied topics was most interesting. I'm reminded that you learn a lot about someone by the wisdom they appreciate. This collection was Tolstoy's last major work and a project of 15 years. Examples: "Those who are in the mountains can see the sun rise sooner than those in the valley." "A person who loves himself has few competitors." "He has power who can keep quiet in an argument even when he is right."
Mark
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, spiritual
I find it hard to sit and just read it "page by page-day by day" So I take it in chunks. I agree with a great deal of what I find, disagree with some,a s it ought to be for someone who draws their own conclusions on the world. However, his general philosophy is so sympatico with my on on too many things, to pass it off and say "well, I Don't Care if I finish it this year, or not"- I plan to get through the whole thing, then, pass it on to an interested friend...
Arlo
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat a book of affirmations. Tolstoy is Christian and expresses his views on Christianity. He uses all of the world's religions in a sense to get across his view on life.
As a vegan his views on meat eating were refreshing.
Craig
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the 5 books I keep on my shelf at work to ground me, to re-set my moral compass, and to remind me of what is important. Many of the religious quotes do not resonate for me but the rest does in a big way.
Ivey Coss
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These juicy little nuggets of timeless wisdom help to jar the mind out of all that entangles it from more theories, more teachings, more formulas and the barrage of of "NEW" that comes out every day!
It's simple and pointed with scriptures to back it up! A joy to read each day!
John
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rated: D+
This book was given to me by participants in a workshop that I delivered. It is a day-by-day listing of quotation that Tolstoy put together with each day having a common theme. Based on the wide variety of quotation from various religious sources, Tolstoy has an open theology to accept ideas for numerous belief systems. Consequently, I found most of the ideas more of a humanistic world view which often is antithetical to a biblical world view. With thousands of quotations, only a
Vizi Andrei
Leo Tolstoy is easily one of my favorite thinkers. The concept of the book is clever; in an abundant world, knowledge is not about gathering information, but about filtering it.

There are many (way too many) books (and increasingly more) which are not to be read in full, but in small parts. This book is to be read in full.

Anyway, I found many reflections to be extremely repetitive (which could indeed be a virtue: repetition is the mother of all learning), but there was an excess of it to the
David Roberts
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Gift from Jaycob Christmas 2017
Shelves: daily-reading
An interesting collection of quotes from Leo Tolstoy, which apparently exists in multiple versions. The collection of quotes is grouped by daily topic, although there are a number of topics that do repeat (war, the nature of the soul, others). I did find myself highlighting something almost every day, which, to me, suggests that it is a great book.
Parker
Mar 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not finish. I appreciate the variety of inspirational sources, but religion is REALLY important to this author. By the time I hit the second round of "people can only be decent people if they believe in God," I had to quit. Not a fan.
Stanley Turner
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book of wisdom from Leo Tolstoy. Wrote down many quotes and ideas from this work over the year. It makes an excellent devotional and made me think many times about what Tolstoy was writing. Excellent book for everyone...SLT
Elanna Clayton
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! Well worth the purchase!
Lisa D
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
some days were better than others. A little too religious for me.
Vicki
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some daily entries are better than some. Most I thought were thought provoking, some not so much.
Lisa Lawrence
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One never finishes a book like this. Go, Leo!
Sharon
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not finish the book. I found it dated, tedious, repetitive, and the continual emphasis on religion really obscured any benefit the secular quotes could have provided.

• Economy of Truth: Practical Maxims and Reflections
  • Listening to Your Life: Daily Meditations with Frederick Buechner
  • Hyperfocus: How to Be More Productive in a World of Distraction
  • The War for Kindness: Building Empathy in a Fractured World
  • Ego Is the Enemy
  • Thinner Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Female Body
  • Consolations: The Solace, Nourishment and Underlying Meaning of Everyday Words
  • Journal of a Solitude
  • The Self-Reliant Entrepreneur: 366 Daily Meditations to Feed Your Soul and Grow Your Business
  • 365 Tao: Daily Meditations
  • How to Think Like a Roman Emperor: The Stoic Philosophy of Marcus Aurelius
  • The Dalai Lama’s Book of Wisdom
  • Stonehenge
  • The Art of Peace
Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy (Russian: Лев Николаевич Толстой; commonly Leo Tolstoy in Anglophone countries) was a Russian writer who primarily wrote novels and short stories. Later in life, he also wrote plays and essays. His two most famous works, the novels War and Peace and Anna Karenina, are acknowledged as two of the greatest novels of all time and a pinnacle of realist fiction. Many consider ...more
“If you feel that you are not free, look for the reason inside you.” 8 likes
“The difference between real material poison and intellectual poison is that most material poison is disgusting to the taste, but intellectual poison, which takes the form of cheap newspapers or bad books, can unfortunately sometimes be attractive.” 8 likes