Start by marking “The Art Book” as Want to Read:
The Art Book

The Art Book

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  106,402 Ratings  ·  195 Reviews
The Art Book is the first fully illustrated art dictionary. It presents a feast of famous, varied and colourful images by 500 of the greatest artists from the Middle Ages to the present day. Arranged in alphabetical order by artist, it is easy to use. With one large, quintessential image per artist, and an informative text that discusses the work in detail as well as offer ...more
Published March 2nd 2005 by Phaidon Press (first published 1997)

Erin
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
I've always wanted to learn more about art and art history, and this was a good sampling. It takes 500 different artists and shows one work from each of them. It was a nice introduction to artists I hadn't heard of before, and it gave a brief synopsis of the work and the artist.

This isn't an in-depth exploration. It often left me wanting more -- I expected this book to serve as a jump-off point, so that's a good thing. I flagged dozens of pages to research further. I should note that, being an a
Kris
Much to my husband's dismay, I took the binding off this book and put each page in a page protector; it now takes up two binders. But now, for $19.95 plus page protectors and binders, I have over 500 pieces of art that can be passed around my classroom.

Well, most of them can be passed around my classroom. I'm struggling with the nudity. Why is it more acceptable to me in an ancient Greek statue than in modern art? Hmmmmm...
Maria Panteli
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I got this as a gift recently and I must say it's amazing. I am a bit of an art geek and I always have been. I enjoy this book because of the variety of different artists in it; all of which have contributed to my fascination with art in some way.
I know some of the artists pretty well and some are completely new to me, and I love that.
I could spend hours just flicking through this book and still not have read/studied it completely. I don't think I'll ever get bored of this book.
It would make
Michelle
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really an interesting concept. Hundreds of artists, drawn from many times, movements, places, one page spread per artist--one work, one short explanation, a little attempt to locate the artist in time and movement. I couldn't stay out of this at work--we kept going back, opening it up, arguing over whether the work chosen was the right one. That was a lot of fun. (Weeping Woman for Picasso???? Ceci n'est pas un pipe for Magritte? Really?) I must say, it did help that I was pretty famili ...more
Kristen
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plain and simple: This was the book that made me fall in love with the visual arts. Almost every time I went to the library as a girl, I would borrow this book. I would sit and look at it for hours, never getting bored with it. I still haven't purchased this book for my collection, but I am planning on it soon!
Diana Habashneh
very simple, a photo of the artist work, brief about the artist
it gives you hints, not very helpful but it's a joy to the eye, you can like a painting or a sculpture and go do the research yourself, witch is not a bad idea after all, that is not a bad idea after all
Thuraya Batterjee
Feb 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
this book presents a fresh and original approach to art.

It is an essential reference to those of us who are always looking for inspiration..

And a good visual sourcebook too..
Anton Klink
This book sets out to present one work of art from 500 different artist. This sounds good in theory, but since all the artists and their one work of art are listed alphabetically, the end result is eclectic and chaotic. This would have been a much better book, had the same contents been arranged chronologically or at least thematically. As it stands though, the paintings (there are a few sculptures and installations here and there, but I will mostly refer to just paintings) jump all over the pla ...more
Bob Hartley
This book is the Linkin Park of the art book world. Granted it doesn't have to be as scrupulous as a doctor giving a prostate exam but it's still quite vague and doesn't give much away. Still useful if you're doing your GCSEs though.
Tidar Rachmadi
I guess, no real artits really read this art book. But, this book is very artsy on the cover and 1000 times more artsy inside. And best of all, it's from Phaidon.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
I was required to take an art appreciation class in college to graduate--and I loved it! So getting this book was a natural follow-up. It won Illustrated Book of the Year and is in the Top Five Popular Art Books on Goodreads. As stated in the introduction, this book is "an A to Z guide to 500 great painters and sculptors from medieval to modern times." It's that classic coffee table book--I even recently spotted it on a list for the best of the kind. I'm not the kind that collects those--in fact ...more
Bogdi
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would be a mistake to take this book for what it is not: a serious, in-depth treatise on art. No, it's a picture book that gives almost twitter-like info on artists. Every artist included has one picture/one chance to make an impression on the public (art novices).

The good things about it: the wealth of periods it hits on and the quality of the reproductions, to say nothing of its size (I have the pocket size version, in case there are others). I also enjoyed the little gimmick: listing artis
Susan
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-books
It gives an over view of art and some important works. Information on the art contained in the book is limited but enables you to go look further. Also lists contact details for major Galleries in the back. My copy is a small version however the photos of the art work are printed clearly and you can see all the textures of the paintings as well.

Make sure this isn't your only art book in your library, but definately a good place to start when loking for reference, or pictures, or styles, or what
Mandy
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book - it is alphabetical order of artists, with a picture of their work, and some biological detail. I particularly love the big version, that I saw at a school. The mini version I have at home is a bit small for some of the detail to come through.
Maia Sinclair
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
I just luvvvv this book. i carry it around whenever i have to travel because it is fun to read and reread. it teaches you a lot about art in accessible and convenient way. Just the kind of book you like reading. hours can pass by and you barely notice it. :) luv it!
Sharon R.
I love this little goodie. At least mine is little, I think they made two sizes. It's great to flip through. When needing inspiration or just procrastinating. It's fun to discover a new artist or new work by one you've known.
Ying
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
that book is very good, in this book your can learn more about the art and in this book have something is so surprised for me. one is for the this book have 500 different artists and shows one work from each of them. other thing is for the the art have mandy year's old and have mandy people want to learn more about art. this book can for some one didn't know art and that can geive some one want to learn word art thay can read that book.
Ashley
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me as an art novice to get a feel for certain artists and styles. The pictures are of a very good quality and the book itself is a monster. It was fun flipping through this and getting snippets about various artists and genres. Each page has a reference to similar artists, giving one the opportunity to keep in theme if desired and learn about related artists.
^

The perfect prescription for someone who thinks Kupka might have something to do with the continuing cup-cake craze.

A artist, a picture, a critique, a list of recommendations to other artists of the same school. A pared down minimalistic approach which works. And pocket sized too (a wide pocket). Educational and, what's better, memorable.
Justin
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though it might frustrate those looking for an in-depth analysis, The Art Book is great for casual appreciation or anyone who doesn't know where to start. I personally enjoyed the huge variety of wildly different pieces sitting side by side.
Nicky
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An everyday book for Everyman. Quite nice for the coffee table or for the kids to flick through. It does what the title says so probably deserves 5 stars but it lacks sufficient depth or enquiry for my tastes..
J.p. Jones
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little book if you take it for what it is - something to dip into to stimulate ideas or discussion... or simply pages to flick through to look at interesting works of art. Not for the academics, but that's part of the appeal.
Lavinia
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, art, in-en
Remember how this book was seen throughout the whole Friends series? First at Central Perk, then at Monica's. Now it's on my shelf, thanks to Patty :)
It's actually a nice read if you're into arts and stuff, and of course I cannot brag for reading it, rather browsed through.
Todd Pack
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nifty little book (or a nifty big book, if you have the hardcover edition). It only scratches the surface, but it covers a lot of ground. It's a wonderful book for browsing.
I refer to this little book quite often. I am always looking for artists and their styles. I keep it very handy. It's a must have.
Brian
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I owed the original version of this book, so when I heard there will be a reprint with updated content, I jumped on this chance. This book is an A-Z listing of some famous artists. Some you will most definitely have heard of, many you have not. The book has ALL types of artists...sculptors, performance artists, traditional paint. They are put back to back in this book, organized only by their last name, so you will see some interesting contrasts in their styles and presentation. Each entry has a ...more
Lizzie
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great introduction for anyone wanting to learn more about art. It presents 1 piece from each of 500 artists with a short paragraph about each. It's not particularly in depth or detailed but personally I find it a great starting point if I'm going to research a particular focus. It's easy to be able to flick through the pages and find artists who paint in similar styles or works about similar topics when trying to build a theme. Another great thing about this book is that for each artis ...more
Eric Chappell
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reading
Let me preface this by saying: much to my chagrin I know nothing about art. My education thus far dealt very minimally in art and art history. And I'm the worse for it. It's taken some maturity, international travel, and personal initiative to teach myself a little. That said, this book is a great book for beginners. I liked it because it allowed me the opportunity to see numerous schools, techniques, periods, artists in a way that was not overwhelming. Each piece is visually well-produced and c ...more
Farzin
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
مدت ها بود دوست داشتم اين كتاب رو بخونم، و اتفاقي هم توي اين هفته پيداش كردم. اين كتاب مثل يك ديكشنري آثار بزرگ نقاشي، عكاسي ، مجسمه سازي و برخي گروه هاي ديگه از هنر هاي تجسمي مي مونه. درست مثل يك ديكشنري كتاب بر اساس حروف الفباي اسم هنرمندان مرتب شده كه به نظر من روش مرتب سازي مناسبي براي يك كتاب در اين سبك نيست. به جز روش مرتب سازيه آثار مشخص نيست كه آثار و هنرمندان بر اساس چه معياري انتخاب شدن. در كل براي من كه اطلاعات چنداني در مورد تاريخ هنر و آثار هنري ندارم ، اين كتاب بسيار مفيد و جذاب بو ...more
Lian
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely brilliant! It provides useful descriptions of the deeper elements to some of the paintings and some background information on the artists in question. It's informative as to where the galleries are and where the paintings are on exhibition which is useful. I have many art books, but this one has been my referral book which is well-used..

On the practical side - it is easy to use as a reference book and has some great colour prints of some of the artists work plus a brief h
about it 2 6 Dec 09, 2015 08:03AM
  • Art and Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking
  • An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration From The Private Sketchbooks Of Artists, Illustrators And Designers
  • Color: A Natural History of the Palette