Start by marking “Teach Me How to Die” as Want to Read:
Teach Me How to Die

Teach Me How to Die

Walter Klein can't stop thinking about death. He wonders what would happen if he stuck a knife in his toaster. He wonders if his latest elevator ride will end in the cable snapping and everyone plummeting to their doom.

He wonders if today will be the day he dies, but he knows it won't be from a toaster or an elevator. It will be from the cancer. He has refused treatment, a
Published June 21st 2017 by Joseph Rauch Books and Stories

Haley
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A creative take on the afterlife that explores human morality and judgement. The plot, while at times taking violent and disturbing turns, reaches at the core of humanity in a touching story about a man, Walter Klein, awaiting judgement before the fate of his afterlife is determined. The narrative sifts through memories that explore relationships, traverses between the humanity behind and before judgement, and unravels a unique perspective on values, love, and death. Rauch's writing style has yo ...more
Michael Noker
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Teach Me How To Die is one of the better novels I've read in the last few years. It gets off to a rather brutal start (I think this was deliberate) and then takes you on a journey through a dozen issues plaguing our country and our times. You can read the book, turn on the news, and see the relevance immediately. I also loved how thoughtful each of the characters is, as well as how much went into the design of the world it's set in. Not many authors choose to do that. It shows how much he enjoye ...more
Gretchen Bove
In his first novel, Teach Me How to Die, author and journalist Joseph Rauch takes a thoughtful, inquisitorial and chillingly honest look at the complex, dark, and often unexplored realms of the mortal condition. He expertly depicts the multi-dimensional, earthly human experience through the lens of his protagonist, Walter Klein, and takes a brilliant stab at depicting what may be waiting for us in the spiritual realm, after death.

Although a quick read, the novel unearths a bounty of rich themes
Jossie Marie Solheim
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I first saw the cover of this book, I thought it wasn't going to be for me, but I've always been a firm believer in the old Saying "never judge a book by its cover." I also love discovering new genres of books. And this is one of those times when that curiosity paid off.

I love books that explore new possibility for the afterlife. I'm probably not alone in this either. It's one of those big mysteries that realistically none of us will ever know for sure, until we pop our clogs.

Joseph Rauch
Peter Schmitt
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Allan
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Great novel, author is not afraid to push you out of the comfort zone with raw and unfiltered language scarcely seen in other books. A tremendous tale of life, how our time is limited, the meaning of it, and what happens after. Highly recommend if you are looking for a "fresh" novel, a quick read, something that will make your brain tick and ponder.
susan murray
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Won from goodreads
A different perspective on the afterlife exploring human morals.The story can be violent at times with the storyline centred around Walter Klein who is waiting to be judged on his fate in the afterlife. The story tells you about Walters life what happened basically from childhood and his mother .
The book was not what I was expecting and was far better .
Eric Hoffman
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Teach Me How to Die is the Cather in the Rye for the 21 century. If Fight Club, Tuesdays with Morrie and Clockwork Orange had a baby, this would be the product. TMHTD details the inner most thoughts of a man going through an existential crisis in the wake of his wife passing away. I recommend this book for anyone who enjoys the darker side of life and feels their thoughts are different than most.
Teva Barzilay
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Teach Me How To Die" is one of the best books I have read in a long time. It has a gripping opening, an interesting vision of the afterlife, controversial ideas and scenes, compelling characters, smooth prose and a touching ending. It is quick and easy to read. I thought there should have been a little more showing in some areas, but overall the book is very vivid. This debut novel shows Joseph Rauch is a promising author.
Диана Александровна
What I really liked about this book is that the writing really transformed me into another world! Smooth and easy-to-read book, that grabs your attention from its first page! I was really fascinated by the story line, and how things unfolded, taking me, as a reader to the most unpredictable places in my mind. I would definitely recommend reading this to a friend, and I will be re-reading it myself later on.
Anne Peachey
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received Teach Me How To Die by Joseph Rauch in a Goodreads Giveaway.
Walter Klein has Cancer and has refused Treatment.
He is a Widower and has a lifelong love of Music and plays Piano in a Jazz Band.
The Band dumps him.
Vincent dies and begins his journey through the Afterlife.
He begins to act out his deepest desires in a violent way
and then discovers they were only hallucinations.
Walter disovers this is called a Cleanse.
We follow Walter's journey with his spiritual Guide Vincent.
Vincent is abr
Bryan O'Sullivan
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Very interesting idea, I really enjoyed the story. unfortunately, the author had to go and make sure you knew he really hates Trump... I'm honestly so sick of people shoving their politics in your face, ie Stephen King. Took me right out of the story, I had to put the book down for a few days just because I didn't care to keep going cause I got the "oh god here we go" mood. Finally, I just said screw it, it's not that long and plowed to the end.

The whole story as a whole I thought was very crea
Diane Grosman
A good philosophy

It's good, and would of been better without the political character assassination. I personally don't care about an author's view of politics just tell me the damn story. It's closed well and I truly love the basis of it. I liked it, was expecting something a long the line of What Dreams May Come. I was pleased with the story.
Claire Feuer
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible book. I enjoyed reading about Walter Klein and exploring what it means to die. I was sad to put the book down. I look forward to following Joseph Rauch. Here's to the next book!
Liz Psaltis
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A thoughtful and thought-provoking read that delves deeply into the topics of judgment, punishment, morality, and perception. I found the world-building of the afterlife to be really intriguing!
Lee Brownell
Nov 24, 2018
Andrew B. Gould
Dec 17, 2018
Joseph Rauch
Aug 20, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Joolie Boolie
Gazmend Kryeziu
Ronald Smith
Manda

• Monsters: Poetry on How to Bite Back
  • Flowers from No Man's Land: Letters to Mother from the Front Lines, World War I, France
  • Mimi's Ghost Stories; ミミの怪談; Mimi no Kaidan
  • Life on Mars: What to Know Before We Go
  • Stuff I Forgot to Tell My Daughter
  • Never Sleep Alone
  • "I Do"  15 Years Of Wedding Misadventures
  • Oceans: The Anthology (Frontiers of Speculative Fiction, #2)
  • Waiting
  • The Individual In A Social World: Essays and Experiments
  • Brain Damage
  • The Kindness of the Hangman: Even in Hell, There Is Hope
  • I Do But I Don't: Why the Way We Marry Matters
  • Brothel
Joseph Rauch studied creative writing at New York University. His work has been featured in Mr. Beller's Neighborhood, The Huffington Post, Vice, Psychology Today, and other publications. He lives in New York City.