Start by marking “Pink Is for Boys” as Want to Read:
Pink Is for Boys

Pink Is for Boys

An empowering and educational picture book that proves colors are for everyone, regardless of gender.

Pink is for boys . . . and girls . . . and everyone! This timely and beautiful picture book rethinks and reframes the stereotypical blue/pink gender binary and empowers kids-and their grown-ups-to express themselves in every color of the rainbow. Featuring a diverse group o
Published June 5th 2018 by Running Press

To ask other readers questions about Pink Is for Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pink Is for Boys

La Coccinelle
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I wanted to like this one. In some ways, I did. The text is simple and straight to the point, and the illustrations are very, very cute. Pink for girls and blue for boys is a fairly recent idea; before that, it was the other way around. I was looking forward to a book that smashes those gender conventions and lets kids know they can wear (and like) whatever colour they please.

But... when you have a book that's supposed to be about demolishing gender stereotypes, it's not great to see them reinfo
Erin Murray
The simplicity of this book is fantastic for all ages. Not only is the text on each page minimalistic, the pictures speak 1000 words. I love the diverse amount of characters within the illustrations and how inclusive they are. The book breaks away from the stereotypical 'blue is for boys' and 'pink is for girls' ideas. All colours are acceptable for everyone and the book reiterates that, I enjoyed it.
Annie ⚜️
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My son's favorite color is red so when a red item, be it a shirt, soccer ball, thermos, what have you, is not available he chooses pink because he figures red and white make pink. So, I don't see a legitimate reason he can't choose pink. Well, it finally happened. He told me he didn't want the pink thermos because kids said pink's for girls. Well, I proceeded to teach him to use the word IGNORANT correctly and I picked up this book.
Jessica
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to @kidlitexchange #partner for a free review copy of this book. All opinions are my own!

Cheerful, fun illustrations complement the message of this picture book - that all the colors are for everyone. A diverse group of children explore great things in each color, some real and some imaginary. It's a quick read and can lead readers to a discussion about how boys and girls don't have to conform to societal expectations. My 2nd grade students loved this book, and were constantly thinking ab
BrookesEducationLibrary
We really like this book because it features the importance of acceptance, that colours are for everyone, regardless of gender, race and cultural expectations. The illustrations are beautiful and feel very whimsical.
I think we would have enjoyed the book itself if it flowed a little easier, it felt quite choppy to read aloud. Otherwise, well worth a read!
Kara Lauren
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wish this book had been around when I was young. I remember so many people giving me grief because I liked a certain color. One time I colored a bunny purple and the whole girl scouts group was in a frenzy.

I loved the illustrations and that the colors were compared to things like animals, toys, etc. I recommend this to everyone!
Earl
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simply told but still manages to convey a strong message that any reader can relate to. Takes color-based gender preconceptions and turns it on its head with fun text and vibrant illustrations.
Baby Bookworm
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Pink Is For Boys, written by Robb Pearlman and illustrated by Eda Kaban, a clever color book that also challenges the notion of gender-exclusive colors.

Pink is for boys AND girls. Blue is for girls AND boys. And orange, green, brown, purple? Both boys and girls can enjoy these too! Each page introduces the reader to a new color of the rainbow, then shows how bo
Kellee
My son loves all the colors. Except, according to him, pink and purple. Where did this come from?! In my house, all colors are wonderful colors and girls and boys can like and do whatever they want, but he must have been told by someone ‘out there’ that pink and purple are girl colors, and Trent, wanting to be accepted, now felt he couldn’t like these colors. I try to counteract this notion in my house, but it is ‘out there’ that minds need to shift or I am fighting a battle so much bigger than ...more
Jillian Heise
Though I like the message this book sends about gender perception and not gendering neutral things like color, and enjoyed the simplicity of how it cheerfully presents it to kids, there is one thing bothering me which makes me question if I would share it. When I look at the illustrations of the diverse children throughout this book, there are two of them that have eyes that look noticeably different in shape from the roundness of all the rest - they have angled lines for eyes seemingly intendin ...more
Harker
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
The idea behind the title appealed to me, which is why I ordered this book for my son's Christmas gift. I read it ahead of time (can't resist a good picture book) and while I like it, I have to say that the execution lacks something that could've really made it special.

Being titled Pink for Boys, I would've thought that there would be more time spent on that and going outside the expected assigned binary colors, but I didn't see that except for a page or two in the beginning. There were more col
Demi Novinger
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations are a big strength to this book in that they are very inclusive and bring the text, which is very simple, to life. The colors are the focus of the book but the colors are included in everyday objects that every person can relate to/have in their life. Also, the inclusion of boys and girls for each and every color pushes against the gender stereotypes we typically associate them with, without making a fuss or making any sort of controversial statement. The language is simple and ...more
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
I loved this book so much. I love that it celebrates girls and boys loving all colors and not assigning them to a gender. My son loves pink and purple and gets teased for it. I always tell him to love what you love and to never feel like you have to explain it to anyone. This books is an important message for young ones, early on in life, to aid in explaining that girls and boys can love all the colors because all the colors make up this bright beautiful world we live in! This book is bursting w ...more
Jessica ☕
A lovely reminder that there's no such thing as "girl colors" and "boy colors" and girls and boys can play baseball or put on their fanciest clothes and pretend they're at the royal wedding. It's silly to gender unnecessary things.
Garrett
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
Duh.

But...really...this book might be a bit TOO simple. For kids, it might be just fine. It certainly has a good message and wonderful art. Just...y'know...throw in a rhyme every once in awhile or some alliteration or SOMETHING.
Meg
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
A nice color book that's a bit left of center (if you want to look at it that way... I just see this book as a long time coming). Thank goodness for a deliberate picture book of this sort. (Great for people who want to scream over gendered books, toys, colors, and everything else.)
Jessica Furtado
A great concept that lacks power in its execution.
Basma
Because...unicorns!

Love this book!
Mia Vicino
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
on vacation in san diego and checked out the LGBTQ+ exhibit at the history museum! there was a picture book section and my friend and i gave this one a read. cute! pink is for EVERYONE! :)
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Colors are for everyone!!!!
Jennifer Strong
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, children-s
Yes yes yes! Colors are for everyone and all the wonderful things we like and share (like pets and popsicles, parties and playing!)
Emily
This was disappointing. The message falls very flat on the first 4 pages where it does nothing to dismantle the gendering of pink and blue. It was nice to see some diversity in race and ability.
Leigh
Jul 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-picture-books
All this book seems to do is enforce a binary. There are attempts at inclusivity that feel like tokenization.
ricardo
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really cute color book that simply explains that colors are for everyone.
Erin
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great color book showing how all colors are good for everyone.

Good for preschool or toddler storytimes.
Krista
While great for busting the pink/blue stereotype that kids often form, this book is very binary.
Air
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the artwork in this book; and, really appreciated the moral of the book. I loved that all types of humans were pictured, giving it a wonderful level of diversity. I personally wish it had rhymed or something, but that is probably just a 'me' thing!
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this much more than I did. Even though the words say that pink is for boys, the message is more like "pink is for girly stuff, but boys can like girly stuff, too." The colors continue to be gendered. In addition, the text is not compelling or clever. The artwork is very attractive, but another reviewer pointed out the very regrettable choice of giving some of the kids very slanted eyes to represent that they are Asian. Once I noticed that, it's very obvious and definitely harken ...more
  • From the Stars in the Sky to the Fish in the Sea
  • Teddy's Favorite Toy
  • A Most Unusual Day
  • Prince & Knight
  • Mommy's Khimar
  • Green Pants
  • How to Code a Sandcastle (How to Code with Pearl & Pascal, #1)
  • In Our Mothers' House
  • We Are Family
  • Families, Families, Families!
  • All Are Welcome