Start by marking “Yesterday I Was the Moon” as Want to Read:
Yesterday I Was the Moon

Yesterday I Was the Moon

yesterday i was the moon is a collection of poetry by noor unnahar - it explores courage, self-love, culture and the struggles of making peace with your heart and art. it contains black & white photographs paired with poetry pieces; giving it a photo diary feels.
Published July 16th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Yesterday I Was the Moon, please sign up.
Hana maybe around 100? there are 157 pages of poetry and a drawing on every two pages. hope that helps…moremaybe around 100? there are 157 pages of poetry and a drawing on every two pages. hope that helps (less)
The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson by Emily DickinsonHow We Became Human by Joy HarjoThe Collected Poems by Sylvia PlathThe Princess Saves Herself in This One by Amanda LovelaceIf Not, Winter by Sappho
Poetry by Women
335 books — 44 voters
A Conceptual Circus by Kenneth Jarrett SingletonThe Hour Wasp by Jay SheetsCalling a Wolf a Wolf by Kaveh AkbarWhen I Grow Up I Want to Be a List of Further Possibilities by Chen  ChenDon't Call Us Dead by Danez Smith
New Poetry 2017
90 books — 100 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Yesterday I Was the Moon
TeaAndBooks
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Writing: 5/5
Originality: 5/5
Style: 5/5

yesterday i was the moon
today just an eclipse
something in me travels; some days its to the dark
some days its to the light

yesterday i was the moon is a collection of poetry written by Noor Unnahar, a Pakistani author. This book explores a variety of themes including art, people, home, courage, self-love, strength, culture, acceptance and survival.

The actual layout of the book was stunning. There were the beautiful poems paired with incredible black and

Nat
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, pink-covers

It's been quite the minute since I last read a poetry collection, so when my eyes landed on this beauty of a book I was beyond keen on diving in.

yesterday i was the moon is a collection of poetry by noor unnahar - it explores courage, self-love, culture and the struggles of making peace with your heart and art. it contains black & white photographs paired with poetry pieces; giving it a photo diary feels.

Like many poetry books I've read and reviewed before, yesterday i was the moon
Areeba Siddique
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
the only poetry book I can read a hundred times <3
Prashasti
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, poetry
I am growing flowers
in the darkest part of my heart
for if the light ever enters
it would know where to start.

I think I'll be revisiting this book again, it's so beautifully written.
I least expected this but each & every line was soul-touching.
I'd recommend this to anyone who is remotely interested in reading poetry, it's strange to see that the book is not hugely recognized, but it doesn't matter, as long as it touches the hearts of people it comes to hold off.

Sharing some of the extracts
Alice Lippart
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2019
Beautiful!
Konstantin
Torn between two and three stars.

This is written with emotion, honesty and poignancy, but there's really nothing new or original to see here - it reminds me of almost every poetry collection by a woman of color I've read recently (Rupi Kaur, Warsan Shire, Nayyirah Waheed...).

Still, something in this one resonated with me, and even the format and the feminist/racial messages didn't seem as forced as in, say, Salt, so three stars it is. If you read any Tumblr poetry, though, you'll have seen it
Z.Jeena
a masterpiece of forgiveness
i am building
myself"
_____________

Sensational, heart-touching and veracious words. Noor Unnahar us anothing inspiring, creative and talented Pakistani writer and poet who has in Yestersay I Was Moon blown her readers away with the truth her words ring with and how brutal and crystal they are in delivering their message in a clear,
Nadia Awadi
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Since I write *cough* poetry *cough* I'm reading more and more recently. And I really liked 'Yesterday I was the moon'. It had this resilient feel to it. Like the author is making an armor using her words. Also It RHYMES. These days a lot of modern poetry doesn't actually rhyme. Which is kind of sad.

Definitely recommended if you're a lover of poetry.

Thank you for reading and have a wonderfull day.
Emma
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
It's a NO for me.
This just felt like a bunch of phrases put together. I'm sorry to say that only a handful of poems resonated in some meaningful way to me. Something I found really nice though was the simple artwork included in this poetry collection. I don't think I'll be reading something by this author in the future.
Anish Kohli
15/07/19: Full review up. Ramping down my rating to 2 stars from the original 3 stars after giving some more thought and time to the book.

So to start off, in the interest of full disclosure I want to put a something out there, lest I run the risk of being accused later. Its kinda sad that Ive been attacked by enough authors that I now doubt almost all new authors. Oh well..
Anyway, as I was saying, I found this book through the bookstagram feed that I was browsing. Then I looked up the book on GR
Lisa
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is just an honest review about how I felt.

I'm a massive modern poetry fan. "Insta Poetry" as some like to call it.
I like the millennial angst; I am said millennial.
I like the socially acceptable dive into sadness; I often need something to tip me over the edge so that I can deal with my issues.
I like the stark reality of relationships in poetry, written in ways that makes you examine the feelings you may have felt once; because relationships are hard and I need to feel like someone
Shehzeen Muzaffar
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
my mother named me
light; the first rays starting the day
and there are days
when i forget there is light at all
this name then becomes
a remimder how
the woman who raised me
named me after something
so glorious; it shines
and even on my darkest days
i am the light i should be looking for

{NOOR}

I LOVED THIS BOOK😭❤
dana
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
to the person who
will want to fall in love with me
i have been a sky all my life
full of life and light and anger
if you're not coming with
thunderstorms; do not come
at all

i love poetry and i love this. i tabbed so many poems bc they were all so beautiful and woww she is just so talented im in awe
Maryam
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I went into this one with high hopes because taking from all I've seen by Noor on social media, this should have been a visual and textual delight.

Disappointing, underwhelming, kind of like a Tumblr feed in book form.
Margaryta
"art doesn't ask
to be perfect
poetic
precise
it asks to exist
to breathe
to be

this is what it has always been about" (p. 75)

I've been really determined to stay open to the different styles and new ideas appearing in poetry, and have been trying to stay more in the know about what titles are published annually. "Yesterday I Was the Moon" caught my eye because of its title and promising summary, and though I really not a fan of "Insta/Tumblr poetry" - my experience of reading poetry by Kaur, Lovelace,
Shahr Bano
Aug 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
What happened to good old poetry that is more art and less like a tumblr feed? I got the book as a present but still was expecting something substantial in the book but failed to find anything worthy. This is just similar to what Rupi Kaur or any other modern poet writes (barely any sentence structure and verses that show no rhyme or reason). All I read throughout was some wannabe poet trying to move my soul with references from the city Karachi, and I get it that times have been tough because I ...more
Thomas
Jun 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
I just opened Yesterday I Was the Moon to see if they were as bad as I remember. I landed on "be kind/for this is something/a lot of people/can never be". That's a poem. Now, if that appeals, then Yesterday I Was the Moon probably will too. Personally I can't remember reading anything quite so trite and superficial in a long time, in any form. Unnahar poetry seems to tread the ground between self-help books, pseudo-philosophy and fortune cookie advices. They seem spontaneous and over simple and, ...more
ellie
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was so lovely to read. i wish some of them were more hard-hitting - she definitely hints at emotion rather than using devastating words that show her emotion (which are my favorite, by the way). i would've given this 4 stars usually, but in this day and age, god it felt SO good to read some kind and lovely words. here is my favorite:

i want stars, strength, and balance in my soul
its been a while since they were last
together in me

P.S. the illustrations were beautiful, i just felt like they
Ghazaal B.
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I could sniff her middle eastern soul before finding out her motherland.
I'm still struggling with this kind of poetry. I can't tell if these are quality poems or just beautiful but sentimental and dramatic lines to describe my broken heart and what I'm going through.
But I guess it's the pleasure that counts in the end.
Anima
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it

-smoothly flowing verse reaching at the heart with sensible meanings

'i am building
a masterpiece of forgiveness
i am building myself'

'nothing teaches better
than this trio
the fears, the tears, the years
{the golden trio}'
Nouruddine
Screenshot-2018-12-27-15-45-18-1

Personal interpretation:

I totally valuate this kind of writings; the act of recording of events written by a person having an intimate knowledge of them and based on personal observation.
This kind of "intimate" memoir is the best for me. I find truthfulness and trueheartedness within such notes.
Hence, Thanks Noor Unnahar (such a cute name!)

***

i burn when i have to
the sun named me
Merel
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I first read Noor's poems on her Instagram, I immediately fell in love. Although English is not her first language, Noor has the power to create beautiful poetry. For me, her words motivate me to get out of bed every day and do something great with my life. I love how Noor can take her pain and change it into something beautiful. What I find unique about it, is how Noor has the courage to write about her life in an honest way, without any shame, fear or whatsoever. This is why I totally ...more
Guiana
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Ever read something so amazing that anything you say becomes nothing compared to what it said? Yep, that's me on this one.
Jessica C Writes
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This collection was amazing. After the one I just read that I wasn't enjoying much, this was a nice change. I also really loved the illustrations that accompanied some of the poems. This was such a beautiful book (inside and out), and I will definitely be re-reading it occasionally for inspiration!
Siqahiqa
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I picked up this book today and finished read it at one sitting. There were some poems that I highlighted as I like it and there were some poems that I couldnt relate to.

The poems are simple and ilustrations are nice. I glad because this poetry book is not all about love & heartbreak stories.
Kaja
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-english
woooow.
this was really beautiful and inspiring. i loved this so much and there's a lot of poems that i highlighted. i'm so glad i picked this up!

"yesterday-i was the moon
today-just an eclipse"
Sydney Heitzman
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
noor unnahar's first publication shows a lot of promise. through reading the book, i found myself bookmarking and underlining about every other page. half of the poems in the book were profound, just as good as and if not better than what i've read on her stunning instagram portraits. however, the other half showed a mixture of lack of inspiration and strange word usage, something not completely surprising as the author is not a native English speaker and this is her first publication. despite ...more
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
You are

the peace after wars

the calm after storms

and everything

insanely beautiful

the shapes after

a tragedy

Yesterday I was the moon is a collection of poems by Noor Unnahar and one of the few poetry books that have made it to me favorites list. Her poems are really simple and beautifully written, and the drawings in between were very cute.

I would definitely recommend!

|| Blog || Instagram ||
Alina Nasir
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5/5 stars
Rereading it and its just as good as it was the first time around.
============
5/5 stars

in pieces
yet at peace
i am a building
in a post war city

Such a beautiful book on modern poetry by a Pakistani Author. Each and every poem was relatable and for me, that's a first! Looking forward to reading more books from Noor Unnahar.

the kind people
are running this world
they don't know how
their one little smile
has saved many lives
Fatima
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
1) sometimes i forget how much representation matters!
2) on a conquest to find good contemporary poets (i like her)
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 3 May 19, 2019 10:10AM

• She Felt Like Feeling Nothing
  • Pillow Thoughts (Pillow Thoughts #1)
  • Algedonic
  • The Last Time I'll Write About You
  • Love Looks Pretty on You
  • All The Things I Never Said
  • Love Her Wild
  • Light Filters In: Poems
  • The Chaos of Longing
  • The Dark Between Stars
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • I hope this reaches her in time
  • Planting Gardens in Graves
  • I Wrote This For You: 2007-2017 (I Wrote This For You #1)
  • Sea of Strangers
  • The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #2)
  • Healing the Heart (Pillow Thoughts #2)
  • us.: a collection of poetry