Start by marking “Everyday Enlightenment: The Twelve Gateways to Personal Growth” as Want to Read:
Everyday Enlightenment: The Twelve Gateways to Personal Growth

Everyday Enlightenment: The Twelve Gateways to Personal Growth

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  503 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
On the Journey of Life, Do You Sometimes Wish You Had a Map? You now hold such a map in your hands-a guide through the twelve gateways of personal growth to the summit of your potential. Dan Millman makes your ascent accessible by bringing enlightenment down to earth-applying spiritual wisdom to the practical realities of everyday life. Explore the challenges and mysteries ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Everyday Enlightenment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyday Enlightenment

Dennis
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This makes me feel a lot better about myself. Kinda like, I wished I had a better car, but then I realize my car is fine. I just need to give it some TLC.

You can start reading this from anywhere and it's a pleasure to go back and re-read. This is like spiritual reference material.

On the back cover:
"The time is now. The road is open. Your destiny awaits."
How can one not be compelled to read this?
Memo
May 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the Peaceful Warrior I thought I'd give this one a try since Millman's story and his learnings with his spiritual guide were a true story, and it was actually pretty good. It describes a lot of "little" things one can do in everyday life to make the best of it and live a life of growth and fulfillment.
Bridget
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is really similar to "No ordinary Moments", so I would recommend that one, but if you are into Millman, read it.
Eric
Jul 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sprituality
I read one chapter of this book a month, taking time to really absorb it. It takes a look at all aspects of life and how you can make real changes, a little at a time. A practical guide to something nobody can really define, but we all feel on some level.
C
Jul 28, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: those who enjoy scratching their navels
A packaged feel-good self-help book that manages to talk about everything and nothing.

The advice is mostly common sense - the rest is superficial b.s. I'm planning to leave this one somewhere for someone else to pick up - maybe they'll enjoy it more than I did.

Jaimi
May 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
I keep this book out and read the different Gateways over and over.

"How good can you stand it today?" ~Millman
Radhajeet
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
A 12-step guide to Spirituality.
Anita
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutly will cause emotional and spiritual growth-Loved it.
Isabel
May 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
After completing Millman's Peaceful Warrior meditation course I wanted to read something of his work. I think the foundational premise is correct and the organizational structure sound... but the overall tone of the book doesn't sit well with me. Perhaps 20 years ago it would have resonated, but the "just do it" and "act like it (enlightenment) is true makes it true" are outdated. Neuroplasticity research has shown that there is more to our behavioral choices than self-discipline. I wanted to li ...more
Rick
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Not earth shattering here but at the same time I think there were some good takeaways particularly about keeping it in perspective. I did enjoy some of the discussion about what enlightenment means all in all not necessarily highly recommended but not a waste of time either.
Jason
Nov 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This guidebook by Dan Millman has useful and wise information for everyone. This book is not your typical trite self-help book that's been rehashed 1000 times.

Dan Millman has done extensive training in meditative disciplines, mystical practices, and other endeavors in the search for enlightenment. While he found these practices to be highly inspirational and wise, he also realized that these practices didn't do any good if you couldn't perform your everyday tasks in an enlightened manner. Thus-
Brian Johnson
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
"When people ask me abstract questions about time, or space, or reincarnation, I may respond by asking whether they exercise regularly, eat a wholesome diet, get enough sleep, show kindness to others, and remember to take a slow, deep breath on occasion--because it seems important to bring our spiritual quest down to earth. Of course, there's nothing wrong with philosophical speculation. But let's not mistake conceptual thought for the spiritual practice of everyday life. After all, what does it ...more
Rene
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have seen this book on the shelves of used book stores so many times and never bought it because I thought I had read it years ago. I saw it again and thought I'd give it another read. Turns out, I never read it! So glad I bought it.

I'm not typically a fan of books or articles that have titles containing the words "7 steps to..." "10 steps to...," etc. and this book contains "12 Gateways to..." so I wasn't expecting much except basics. Further, I was expecting the old "just love everybody, smi
Stephanie Weeks
I really enjoyed this book. It's quite long & I did not enjoy some chapters as much as others however I love the focal point of this book: Enlightenment is not something you meditate on, it is something you LIVE. and really, no extra time reading your Bible or praying will get you there. This book reminds me to above anything, trust my intuiton. I think the first gateway is the best & most important. Without self-worth, you don't have the motivation to do any of the rest. I love the prin ...more
Avel Rudenko
Dan Millman, in this book, shows the reader the many gateways that we need to pass in order to realize our true selves and in order to take a greater control of our lives. The challenge shown here is to live life with an every day, moment-to-moment awareness of one's own actions; to act with a fearless, one step in front of the other awareness, a consciousness of being. If you are present to confront your fears, to peer into those dark places that keep you in the shadows. This book leaves no sto ...more
Daeus
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I recommend reading Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman first to see if this book would be for you. This is more of a guidebook on living well similar to some other Dan Millman books. I found it very meaningful in my early 20's.

Some quotes:
- "We normally associate relaxation with the stillness of sleep, trance, or meditation. But life is movement, so relaxation-in-motion is the highest form."
- In terms of business and valuing your work: "Don't charge less. Give more."
- "A magnificent leap
Arthur
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoy this book, quite different to other personal development books I have read and this one kept me interested throughout.
Alex Hodgkin
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Book

The most succinct and clear summary of everything I have learned in my life to this moment. Awakened and alive.
Shawn Evans
Mar 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone seeking spiritual growth
Just started this one today, but am anxious to dig into it!
Meikoningin
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed on FB
Keith
Oct 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book full of suggestions to help your life be more meaningful.
Corrie
Oct 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Yes. I admit that I read books on personal development. What?
Diane Blastic
Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
best book for developing yourself. common sense, but practice, too. if you read this, do the work that goes with it OR DON'T BOTHER. it's things you know, but need to practice.
Emily Shull
  • Constructive Living
  • Harmonic Wealth: The Secret of Attracting the Life You Want
  • Real Magic: Creating Miracles in Everyday Life
  • The Journey Into Yourself
  • The First 30 Days: Your Guide to Any Change (and Loving Your Life More)
  • Creative Mind and Success
  • The Power of Decision
  • Spiritual Liberation: Fulfilling Your Soul's Potential
  • The Essential Laws of Fearless Living: Find the Power to Never Feel Powerless Again
  • The Call: Discovering Why You Are Here
  • Love, Life, Goethe: Lessons of the Imagination from the Great German Poet
  • Overachievement: The New Science of Working Less to Accomplish More
  • Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals
  • Aspects of the Masculine
Dan Millman is a former world champion athlete, university coach, martial arts instructor, and college professor.

After an intensive, twenty-year spiritual quest, Dan's teaching found its form as the Peaceful Warrior's Way, expressed fully in his books and lectures. His work continues to evolve over time, to meet the needs of a changing world.

--from the author's website

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
  • Slouching Towards Bethlehem: Essays
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Put Your Dream to the Test: 10 Questions to Help You See It and Seize It
    $9.49 $2.99
“Your sense of worth or deservedness shapes your life by creating tendencies. If you feel worthy and deserving, you tend to make productive choices. (“The world is my oyster.”) If you feel unworthy and undeserving, you tend to make destructive or limiting choices. (“Beggars can't be choosers.”)” 0 likes