Start by marking “Dreams of Falling” as Want to Read:

Dreams of Falling

From the New York Times bestselling author of The Night the Lights Went Out comes an exquisite new novel about best friends, family ties and the love that can both strengthen and break those bonds.

It's been nine years since Larkin fled Georgetown, South Carolina, vowing never to go back. But when she finds out that her mother has disappeared, she knows she has no choice bu
Published June 5th 2018 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Dreams of Falling, please sign up.
SuZanne That is an editor/publisher problem too. Someone should have caught that; no author is perfect in every sentence. Well, maybe Heminway because he…moreThat is an editor/publisher problem too. Someone should have caught that; no author is perfect in every sentence. Well, maybe Heminway because he spent all day writing one paragraph.(less)

Julie
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dreams of Falling by Karen White is a 2018 Berkley publication.

So far, my summer reading experience has been second to none. I’ve enjoyed some great romances, thrillers, mysteries, and even touched base with my favorite series, and beach reads. So, Karen White faced some pretty stiff competition by the time I got around to reading this book. But, hands down this is my favorite book of summer.

Larkin is called home, from New York, to South Carolina, after a lengthy absence because her mother, Iv
Lori
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Karen Whites novels remind me of perfectly made grits... just the right amount of simmering, butter & salt. This story was the perfect mix of setting, characters & story. “We are made of all those who have built and broken us.” Southern fiction at its finest! As always, 5 shiny southern stars.
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Larkin needed to come home from New York because her mother was missing.

What she found was that over the years a lot of things were missing and quite a few things were kept secret.

Larkin found secrets about her mother and her family at every turn.

When she asked why she wasn’t told, the answer was ignored or she was told to wait until her mother, Ivy, wakes up and to ask her.

Larkin wondered how long she would have to wait for her mother to wake up. She also wondered how long until she found out e
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Favorite author alert! Slipping into a Karen White book is a guaranteed inviting escape, and Dreams of Falling is Karen White at her best.

Larkin left Georgetown, South Carolina nearly nine years ago. It’s complicated. When she learns her mother has disappeared, she has to return.

Larkin loves Georgetown and her family. They anchor her. But she dreads so much about being there, and the past haunts her. Her family and friends have been waiting for her to come home ever since she left.

Larkin’s mo
Suzanne Leopold (Suzy Approved Book Reviews)
Larkin Lanier enjoys her life in New York City where she has lived for almost a decade. One day she learns that her mother, Ivy, is missing. This forces her back to her hometown of Georgetown, South Carolina which she has avoided since high school. The trip back is awkward since she has had little contact with her family and friends. She is greeted by her grandmother's lifelong friends, CeeCee, and Bitty. These two women played a big role in raising Ivy after her grandmother's untimely death.

Iv
Lisa
A riveting tale of friendships and promises that lead to a lifetime of secrets.

SUMMARY
“Friends forever, come what may” was the dream three young women wrote on a ribbon in April 1951. Margaret, Ceecee and Bitty placed that ribbon in the opening of a special moss-covered tree on the banks of the North Santee River. No one could have imagined what that promise would mean.

Larkin had fled Georgetown, South Carolina nine years ago. She vowed never to return, but when she hears that her mother, Ivy ha
Book of Secrets
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
★ Happy Summer Solstice ★

"We are made by those who have built and broken us." Set in gorgeous South Carolina lowcountry, DREAMS OF FALLING is about the strongest friendships and the painful secrets that test their bonds.

This is a multi-generational story told in both the past and present. In the early 1950s, three friends, Ceecee, Margaret, and Bitty, hide their wishes in the trunk of a magical tree, but the outcome was nothing like they'd expected. Be very careful what you wish for! Keeping sec
Jess (Primrose)
I waffled between finding this book as "ok" then trending towards "liking"... with a final decision being this is an "ok, likable at times" read. One reason for this back and forth behavior was the soap opera-esque nature of this book. It really started to become boringly predictable and absurd. There was one distinct moment that I can recall thinking "Please, don't go down that Days of Our Lives Road.... and you are taking that route" Yet, honestly, the soap opera tone didn't seal my rating. I' ...more
Jonetta
Lanier Larkin is a copywriter for a major marketing firm in New York having fled her roots in Georgetown, South Carolina nine years before. She’s also slightly estranged from her family, limiting her visits to annually at Christmas. But when she receives a desperate call from her grandmother, CeeCee, saying that her mother, Ivy, is missing, Larkin drops everything and returns home to the place that has so many wonderful—and hurtful—memories.

There are three narratives telling this lushly designe
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
I couldn’t stop crying in parts. Awesome story.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When you have read the same author stories multiple times you tend to expect the same type of story that you’ve gotten in the past. That is not unusual and that’s what I was thinking when I open this book.

However, I could not have been more wrong.

This book started out in a traditional manner. I’m not sure where it was in the story that things started to change for me. However, it didn’t take long for me to become so conne
Amy
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ninja
There is something utterly enchanting about the manner in which White weaves a tale, there’s always a little something for every type of reader and Dreams of Falling is no exception. There is family drama, secrets between friends, good old fashioned southern charm, romance and even a historical feel as some chapters flip back to the fifties.

This follows a family of women and the Darlington’s and Margaret Darlington’s two best friends, Ceecee and Bitty. Those two were my favorite, they share a lo
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Oh how I loved this! I think this might be my favorite book from Ms. White yet! Full review to come closer to the release date.

*EDITED TO ADD REVIEW*
Karen White has never let me down. From her beautifully worded stories to the rich lush settings and well thought out characters, everything about her stories draws me in and refuses to let me go even long after the story is over.

Her latest wasn't an exception. It was wholly entertaining, hard to put down and just enough of the supernatural to keep
Jeanne Adamek
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
dnf

As I find Karen White to be among the authors that I find the most enjoyable & I just wasn't able to get into this story I concluded that that it probably wasn't the novels fault but the timing of when I decided to read it. I am going to stop reading now & will pick it up again at a time where I can get the most enjoyment out of it...

June 10 2019

Glad I read this story but still have to say that in my opinion the story didnt work as well as all the other Karen White novels I read... th
Katie B
When Ivy is found unconscious in an old plantation home and taken to the hospital, her daughter, Larkin, returns to her hometown of Georgetown, South Carolina. Larkin begins searching for answers as to why her mother was at the home which leads to discovering decades old secrets. This is a story of friendship, love, heartbreak, family, and figuring out where you truly belong.

Karen White's books fit the definition of comfort reading to me. While there might be some elements of predictability, I k
Betty
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Karen White’s books are always a perfect blend of family, friendship, mystery, and a little romance. In her latest book “Dreams of Falling” she offers us two generations of strong female friendships. After nine years away, Larkin returns to her childhood home in South Carolina when her mother Ivy takes a life-threatening fall, a fall that becomes the catalyst for exposing long held secrets. Larkin had fled her home insisting she would never return.

When Ivy is found in the burned out ruins of he
Cindy Burnett
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Family bonds and secrets are at the heart of Dreams of Falling. Set in Georgetown, South Carolina, the story begins as Larkin returns home to help locate her missing mother, Ivy. As the search for Ivy progresses, Dreams of Falling moves back and forth in time slowly unveiling secrets that have been kept hidden for 50 years. As always, Karen White writes a beautiful, cautionary tale full of love, loyalty, and loss. I received this book to read and review; all opinions are my own.
Tammy
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: release-2018
“Friends forever, come what may” was a dream three women wrote on a ribbon in 1951. No one could of imagined what that promise would mean..

I LOVED this Southern charmer giving me all the feels of the 50’s! Set in South Carolina’s Lowcountry, a murder mystery with decades old friendships sharing hidden secrets, loss and heartbreak intertwined with love, and having the courage to figure out where you truly belong. ❤ Recommending! 4.5 ☆
☕️Kimberly
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
White shares the story of two generations. Larkin's mother goes missing and is later discovered injured in their burned out ancestral home. Our tale takes place in Georgetown, South Carolina, spanning two timelines over a  fifty-year period.

Past: Margaret, Ceecee, and Bitty are best friends. Margaret comes from privilege, Ceecee's father is a minister and Bitty is just Bitty. The flashbacks share what happened the summer of graduation when they spent two weeks in Myrtle Beach and the consequence
BookGypsy
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story! This was my first Karen White read. Powerful story and truly one of the best books I've read. Remarkable story of three lifelong friends who share a secret. Set the Lowcountry of South Carolina. These three girls share their hopes and dreams. They write these dreams on ribbons they place in the trunk of an old, said to be magical oak tree. Dreams come true,dreams haunt and these dreams have a ripple effect on the next generation. Amazingly wonderful. Emotional, witty and compellin ...more
*The Angry Reader*
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2018
***I received an ARC for an honest review***

While I theoretically understood where the author was going here I didn't always love the execution.

Larkin is living (hiding) in New York when her mother has an accident that forces her return to her southern hometown. Larkin is hurt because she feels those closest to her lied to her in an effort to make her seem perfect. From what I could gather her issue is that those that loved her filled her with compliments and confidence - and when that was test
Kathleen
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED "Dreams of Falling!!! I laughed, I cried, and at times felt chills as if I was there with the wonderful developed characters. KW weaved a beautiful story of friends, family, secrets, and most of all love.
Mellie Antoinette
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 ⭐ rounded up because, honestly, I couldn’t stop listening. I think if Carrowmore House has featured more strongly in the mix, this would have sailed into a 5 🌟 review (who doesn’t love a good, haunted seaside extravaganza)!!

There were a lot of plot twists here which kept you on your toes and kind of an interesting dream interpretation twist that overall made for really, satisfying reading at the end of the day.
Dianne
My Rating: 3.5 Stars

Secrets kept for decades, soul deep love, friendships carved from granite and “family,” made Karen White’s DREAMS OF FALLING an edgy, emotional journey that could be both intriguing and off-putting in nearly equal measures.

A young woman must go back to the world she swore never to return to when her mother goes missing. Found badly injured in the ruins of the family rice plantation, Ivy now lay comatose while her friends and family gather around her, each lost in their own th
Barbara
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s summer and that means book candy and chick-lit. Karen White, a prolific New York Times bestselling author, released “Dreams of Falling” in June with rave reviews. She’s a solid formulaic author who rarely disappoints when one needs to indulge in their guilty pleasure of book candy.

In this story, three generations of women battle with their need to be noticed, perfect, and the center of the universe. Add to that, it’s a great story of friendship, devotion, and trust.

Three young women on the
Susan
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Wow!! Just wow......review to follow!! Everyone.....you need to read this!! NOW!!💜

Karen White

DREAMS OF FALLING is not the first book I've ever read by Karen White and it definitely won't be the last. The twists and turns keep coming and I had to know how it was going to end! Every time I thought I knew where this story was going, a few pages later, Ms. White threw me for a loop and I knew I was wrong! I'm kicking myself for not reading this wonderful novel sooner. I knew I was g
Jess (Primrose)
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Marla
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
We learn about Larkin in 2010 who comes back home because her Mom, Ivy, has had an accident. We also go back to the 1930's and learn about Larkin's Grandma Margaret and her friends Bitty and CeeCee. Margaret died in a fire and CeeCee raised Ivy. As we bounce back and forth between stories, we find out what happened all those years ago as we also learn about Larkin. There were several times I wanted to slap Larkin and tell her to wake up. It's a heartbreaking story and a heart warming story. Very ...more
The Lit Bitch
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Many times I get review pitches months before the actual review posts. When I get the review pitch, sometimes the book sounds interesting at that time but when it comes time to pick it up to actually read it for review months later, it might not sound as interesting.

So how do I combat this? I trust the process. I have to believe that something about the book appealed to me at one time or another enough for me to agree to review it and even if I am not 100% in the mood to read it when it’s time—I
Lindsay
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you to Berkley for providing me a free copy of Dreams of Falling in exchange for my hoenst review. All opinions are my own.

Dreams of Falling is a story about finding secrets buried in a great, big, twisty, southern family tree. Margaret, CeeCee and Bitty were best friends in the 1950's. As they grow up, CeeCee and Bitty help raise Margaret's little girl Ivy, and then continue on the tradition by helping to raise Ivy's little girl Larkin. The two women keep many secrets from Larkin about h
Maureen
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: womens-fiction
I really enjoyed this book!
Play Book Tag: Dreams of Falling by Karen White--3 stars 1 20 Sep 16, 2018 11:09AM

• The Bookshop at Water's End
  • The Secret to Southern Charm (Peachtree Bluff #2)
  • Best Beach Ever (Ten Beach Road, #6)
  • Beach House Reunion (Beach House, #5)
  • The View from Alameda Island
  • The Ocean Inside
  • Every Time You Go Away
  • Summer Dance
  • Stargazey Point (Stargazey, #2)
  • The High Tide Club
  • Here and Again
  • The McAvoy Sisters Book of Secrets
  • Summer at Hideaway Key
With more than 1.8 million books in print in eight different languages, Karen White is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of 23 novels, including the popular Charleston-set Tradd Street mystery series.

Raised in a house full of brothers, Karen’s love of books and strong female characters first began in the third grade when the local librarian issued her a library card and placed The
“Don’t think of the realities, Ceecee. Think of possibilities and dreams. Of things you can’t even imagine yet. And write those down.” 3 likes
“I don’t hold on grudges, you know. They’re like expired milk in the fridge.” 1 likes