Start by marking “The Coral Kingdom” as Want to Read:

The Coral Kingdom

A 2019 Outstanding Science Trade Book for Students: K–12 (National Science Teachers Association and the Children's Book Council).

From brightly colored corals to shimmering shoals of fish, the diversity of life on a coral reef is celebrated in this visually stunning picture book with a strong ecological message about the need to protect this most precious of environments.
Published March 15th 2018 by words pictures

To ask other readers questions about The Coral Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coral Kingdom

Start your review of The Coral Kingdom
Ryan
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a book begging for help. Help for the coral and the changing climate. The coral is beautiful colors, until it bleaches. And bleaching is bad. The story part of the book is a nice sing song of the animals and colors of the reef. The back matter is all about what is coral, how we can save it, and how we can save our planet.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book would be a great introduction to the coral reef or a unit on the environment and what needs to be done to protect it. It would be good for primary and early junior aged students (6 to 8). The book is written in a rhyming way with a good cadence to read aloud. It talks about the colours and what type of animal or creature lives there. The illustrations are beautiful, colourful and detailed. I can see children spending time just looking for the various creatures hidden in the coral. (the ...more
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review!

I just fell in love with the cover when I spotted it over at Netgalley. It was just so pretty, those rainbow colours, the font. I just wanted to read the book. Thankfully I was accepted to read the book!

And this turned out to be a pretty book inside as well. Rhyming text which made the story more lyrical and pretty, though I have to say that I was mostly focusing on the gorgeous illustrations (so many details, so colourful, even
Nicole
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Coral Kingdom by Laura Knowles is a beautifully illustrated picture book about coral reefs, as well as a pretty strong call to save them.

The story part of the book is a nice sing song of the animals and colors of the reef. The back matter is all about what is coral, how we can save it, and how we can save our planet. Told in a loose rhyming scheme, the reader is brought into the wonders of this undersea world. The watercolor pictures illustrate with beautiful colors of the reef and the life
Laura (Book Scrounger)
This book was mostly enjoyable, written in simple rhyme with lovely illustrations of coral reefs. I'm a bit confused as to why the parts of the book that described the actual colors of the reef, and actually, the majority of the illustrations period, were shown in silhouette rather than full color. It is pretty as well, but just seemed an odd choice. We also don't get to see the "bleaching" that results from warming seas, which is described later on.

The text gives some good information about how
Wayne McCoy
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
'The Coral Kingdom' by Laura Knowles with illustrations by Jennie Webber is a beautifully illustrated picture book about coral reefs, as well as a pretty strong call to save them.

Told in a loose rhyming scheme, the reader is brought into the wonders of this undersea world. The watercolor pictures illustrate with beautiful colors of the reef and the life around it. There are lots of sea creatures to find as well as unusual things like boats that have become part of the reef over time. A call is m
Richelle Zirkle
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is filled with exceptionally beautiful illustrations of coral and other marine life. The rainbow colors flow from page to page in exquisite detail.

The story unfolds in inviting rhyme. For me it ended abruptly with a message about saving the dying reef. Honestly, I could have done without that. It seemed to go from a lyrical poem like quality to a warning of imminent death. I think it would have been better to end on a note of concern that would invite conversation about conservation w
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m not quite sure what the main message of this book is. Is it that we have to protect the coral from bleaching? If so, why is this only mentioned in passing in the last few pages? The pictures are lovely, up until then, and quite enjoyable, but it feels as though they buried the lead.

Probably a good book to introduce the information about coral, but not to state how dire the situation is, which makes me kind of sad. This is an important subject, and could have been presented at least half way
Shelby
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book would be good for younger elementary school aged children. The Coral Kingdom tells you about the coral reef - what kinds of sea creatures live near the reef, what harms the reef, how we can help the reef, and why the coral reef is important - using rhyming, which kids tend to like. I think it would be good to have the phonetic pronounciations of some words (like zooxanthellae) to help teachers/parents/reading aged children say them correctly. The illustrations are beautiful.

I received
Bran Pendergrass
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The rhymes were easy stanzas that will allow kiddos to follow along with ease, The illustrations are impeccably detailed and my favorite part! They really lend life to this short story! I also loved the well-researched details at the end that make the readers really think about what they read and how they can make a difference! I would recommend this book for any early learners as well as older elementary children as the content will capture their attention and hold t ...more
Jota-p
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eu gostei deste livro! As ilustrações são bonitas e o texto, ainda que esteja escrito em rimas, acaba por passar a mensagem que pretende. É um livro infantil, por isso não é suposto estarmos à espera que nos dê muita informação científica sobre os recifes de coral. Mas mesmo assim, é uma boa forma de falar às crianças sobre os perigos que a poluição apresentam ao planeta Terra.
Eu acho que vale a pena ler este livro.
Emily
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The illustrations in “The Coral Kingdom” are appropriately amazing. I loved that it works as a read aloud while providing important information.
Etienne
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Lack of originality. Not bad in any way, but the problem is it isn't good in any neither. Just a bit below average. It present what coral is all about, but not a lot of information, even for young child, and the illustration were not my style at all. Not really worth it. ...more
Educateempower
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
"The time is now, the chance is brief!

Stand up and save the coral reef!"

Amazing pictures lie deep within this great Australian Geographic picture book, alongside a rhyming story that will teach young readers all about the coral reef and the creatures that live there.

As you journey below the water line you will see how the coral reef is created, how animals interact with it and how human behaviour is causing damage.

The bleaching of the coral reef is touched upon - not dwelled upon - which is impo
Becky B
A simple, rhyming introduction to a coral reef with a call to help save them.

Beautiful watercolor illustrations accompany short and succinct but sufficient text to introduce kids to the basics of coral and the reefs they form. In the back of book is more information on coral, why bleaching happens, and what average citizens can do to help save the coral reefs from bleaching. The only way this could have been better would be if the coral in the illustrations had been labeled as to which type they
Sandi Ramirez
The artwork in this book is stunning to me as an adult. my granddaughter who is six keeps going to our kindle and looking at the pages just to see the artwork itself and she is now using it paint pictures.. I know that is not the reason for the book but for me it is a 5 star for engaging a child's imagination and moving her into art as another form. Now as to the book itself. Yes we read it and read it often. The wording is nice and we talk about it as well. I plan to order a hardcopy of the boo ...more
Osmar Piza
Jun 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book is incredibly informative and has some very beautiful illustrations with it. It goes greatly into detail on the importance of coral reefs and how humans have devastated the coral population and it causes mass bleaching all across the world. I think this is a topic that is well taught but continues to be one of the earths major problems. So truly it's up to us educators to take the time to really explain and have our students understand the importance of these lessons and what the conse ...more
Britten Gordon
Mar 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This would be a great book to read to students when introducing poetry or the ocean and some of its animals. It's short, simple, and could be read to students in grades Pre-K through 2nd grade. I would read it to students before the lesson, so they could get some insight on how poetry or the ocean works. It gives great information, as well as an easy poetry meter. ...more
Cailee Evans
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love the pictures in this book they are colorful and fun.
I like how this book teaches children about Coral Reefs and it includes how they can become bleached. I find this important for people to know because we need to keep our reefs from going extinct.
Paula
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Truly, truly lovely watercolor and ink illustrations in luscious colors. Rather pedestrian verse.
Poongothai
May 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Its an informative book on corals in a rhyming manner. It also tells about how to save them. Illustrations are colourful and beutiful.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for the eARC
Cathy
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a stunning book. The art is breathtaking. The rhyme and rhythm get a little wonky in spots hence the 4 instead of 5 stars because truly I LOVE THIS BOOK.
Jilly
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-and-earlier
I think this delightful book would be fantastic to share with one child or a group of children and to create a discussion about the way we look after our oceans and particularly the coral. The rhyme flows beautifully through the stunning illustrations explaining why the coral is so important and why we need to take care of it. Following this there is a more informative factual section which has more detail. The book covers a very topical subject in a fun but informative way.
Maddie Yount
May 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book was engaging and fun but also very informative, I really enjoyed reading it, seeing all of the illustrations and also learning more about the coral kingdom.
Beth Younge
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a great introduction to non fiction for children! I loved how it opened up the natural world and even I went away from it with something I hadn't learnt before.
Lee Peckover
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a timely publication with the current level of interest there is in ocean conservation and hits the right marks in the discussion points at the end of the book which could be explored further with children. This makes this book an ideal jumping off point if you were looking to do a topic or study into recycling or the environment. This would be an excellent book choice for younger children if a school wanted to introduce a green/environmental focus to their setting.

In terms of the story
Emma Reyes
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it

Laura Knowles

Published 2018/ 32 pages

I enjoyed this book! My favorite part was the information in the back of the book. In the back of the book, it displayed ways people can help the coral reef. In my future classroom, I could use this book to explain the importance of coral reefs in our ecosystem.
Donna Maguire
I really enjoyed this book and with the amount of interest in the oceans at present whether it is from the amount of plastics in them, or global warming, the book is very well timed and ideal to explain to children about what is happening. I loved the images and the layout was very good - 4 stars from me for this one- highly recommended.
Andréa
Note: I received a digital review copy from the publisher through NetGalley.
FE Rothleutner

• Eat Like a Bear
  • Grandmother Fish
  • I Am Amelia Earhart
  • Islandborn
  • Spy Camp (Spy School #2)
  • Hiawatha and the Peacemaker
  • The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind
  • Pecos Bill Tames a Colossal Cyclone (American Folk Legends)
  • Daddy Played the Blues
  • Max Goes to the Space Station: A Science Adventure with Max the Dog
  • A Pig, a Fox, and a Box
  • Mountain Chef: How One Man Lost His Groceries, Changed His Plans, and Helped Cook Up the National Park Service
  • The How Not to Die Cookbook: 100+ Recipes to Help Prevent and Reverse Disease