Start by marking “Cobalt Squadron (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
Cobalt Squadron (Star Wars)

Cobalt Squadron

(Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi)

Rose and Paige Tico are sisters, refugees from a planet devastated by the fearsome First Order. After their escape, Rose and Paige join General Leia Organa's Resistance to make sure that no other worlds will suffer the way theirs did. Paige is a top-notch gunner for the Resistance bomber group Cobalt Squadron, and Rose is a technician who helps make sure the ships run smoo ...more
Published December 15th 2017 by Disney Lucasfilm Press

To ask other readers questions about Cobalt Squadron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cobalt Squadron

Start your review of Cobalt Squadron (Star Wars)
Khurram
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very disappointing book. Personally I think there was a huge waste of potential. The story’s main characters are Rose and Paige Tico. There are cameos from general Leia and Vice Admiral Holdo, and there side characters of Hammer (heavy bomber/Star fortress).

There is not much good I can actually say about this book. This book The pacing of the book is very slow and there is very little action, apart from a couple of tense moments not much going on. Personally I did not really like the Star Fort
Jessica {Litnoob}
Dnf at 55% I just couldn’t force myself to care which makes me sad because I really wanted to like it, I wanted to know more about Rose.
Christy
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
After TLJ, I was like, I really want a Tico sisters book. Well past Christy is smart...she had preordered this book and it showed up yesterday. So great. Finished it from the time I woke up this morning!
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Go on. Now's your chance.

AAH.

I mean, geez, this was really good, but I did not expect the final chapter to get me so much. I got so many goosebumps. That last line!!

Cobalt Squadron follows Rose Tico, her sister Paige, and several other pilots in a mission to bring aid to a world injured by the First Order. It's honestly not the most exciting premise, but the use of sound effects and music and blaster fire are used so expertly in the audiobook. Even the sound of whistling wind on a certain planet
Amy Sturgis
Cobalt Squadron is a short YA novel that describes a mission undertaken by these Resistance fighters (think of the Berlin Airlift) that ends up coinciding with the First Order's attack on the Hosnian System. The story ends with the squadron following Vice Admiral Holdo as she goes to assist the evacuation of the Resistance base at D'Qar, thus blending seamlessly into the first scenes of The Last Jedi.

Though this is a brief work, readers get a clearer sense of the relationship between Rose and Pa
Jeramy Lord
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obvious lead in is obvious.

Clearly a book designed to give is background info on Rose, who I an quite fond of. They damn well better not make her a love interest of Finn. Because Finn and Poe belong together....anyway.

Good background on Rose. An interesting story....still doesn't justify the existence of those ugly ass bombers.

TL:DR Backstory on Rose. Fun story.
Trin
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I love the Tico sisters, but I am unfortunately reminded that I find Elizabeth Wein to be an incredibly boring writer.
Shadowdenizen
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

I confess: I loved the Last Jedi, but don't hold it against me. (That's a discussion for another time!)

That said, I love teading more about Paige and Rose (who I found to be an endearing character in the film). But was this the greatest SW novel ever written? Not by a stretch: personally, I would have liked to see what Claudia Gray could have done with these characters!
Erin
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Rose and Paige Tico are refugees from a planet that was destroyed by the First Order. Afterwards, they join the Resistance wanting to make sure that no one else, no other world, goes the way theirs did.

I was thrilled to dive into this. Learning more about about Rose and the relationship with her sister and with it narrated by Kelly Marie Tran I couldn't see how this could go wrong, but it did.

Throughout this, I don't feel like new information was really put in here. For a world that is so big
Lucille
Awww my heart 💔 it was really nice reading about Paige and Rose, understand their background and relationship, what led them to be where they were on The Last Jedi.
A really nice short novel
Neil R. Coulter
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: totally safe for any age
Shelves: star-wars, fiction
Elizabeth Wein had an uphill battle for me with Cobalt Squadron, because I really don't care much about the central character, Rose. (And I don't mean any criticism of Kelly Marie Tran; she did her best with very weak material in The Last Jedi.) But I was still curious to see if some backstory could help me appreciate Rose a little more. As it turns out, it didn't help much, and I found the story a little bland. But the end of the book has an interesting connection to The Force Awakens, and it a ...more
Emily Hebert
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
Ahhh, I loved this book so much! I listened to the audiobook because it was narrated by Kelly Marie Tran, and her narration combined with the fantastic, emotional storytelling made for a great read!

This story helps connect Rose, her sister Paige, and—surprisingly—Amilyn Holdo to the events in the Force Awakens. More importantly, it provides a great look into the relationship of Rose and Paige, and I’m sure I’ll be crying over it the next time I see the Last Jedi.

Fathiers have never been more i
Eva B.
A bit disappointing, in my opinion. I love Rose and Elizabeth Wein, but something just didn't click for me. I think it needed to be longer, maybe?
rachael ♡
"Rose swallowed. Then, suddenly, she gave a sharp nod. She let go of Paige's hand. She knew that now she was going to be able to navigate new uncharted stars alone."

Probably more like 3.5 stars! Damn the whole star only Goodreads rating scale.

To begin: Rose Tico was definitely a standout character in Episode 8. She felt so realistic and naive yet hardened at the same time. That characterization was definitely reflected here in COBALT SQUADRON. I love that we got to go on a journey with her
Melissa
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2020
I enjoyed this one, my library luckily had it on audiobook since the physical library is closed down and it was a nice quick listen and distraction from news overload this weekend.

This book is the backstory of Rose and Paige, I wish we would have seen more of them on screen together, as a team, before where we finally meet them in the films. I enjoyed this story of one of their earlier missions.
Nicis
3.5/5

I just *clench fist* love the Tico sisters so much and it's so SO sad that we never got to see them being adorable on the screen :(
Lizz
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. The mission/plot of the story was okay but the book shines in the scenes between Rose and Paige, when we get a chance to see how devoted to and protective of each other they are (were). Because The Last Jedi just wasn’t sad enough. Will someone please hug Rose for me?!
Godspeed, Rebels.
Lata
Not as tension-filled as I was hoping, though it was wonderful to focus on Rose and her older sister Paige and their close and loving relationship. Most of the story’s action takes place while a squadron of Star Fortresses (those ridiculous looking bombers in Last Jedi) make secret drops of vital supplies on a planet suffering under the First Order. Rose is responsible for creating and maintaining baffle systems to muffle each bomber’s energy output. She’s quite dependent on Paige, as the sister ...more
Marlowe
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
After watching The Last Jedi, I wanted to know more about Rose Tico. She's an intriguing character who doesn't get much exploration in the movie, but just enough to hint at a lot more depth.

Unfortunately, she doesn't get much exploration here, either. The story is about Rose and her sister, Paige, trying to help a local rebellion on the planet Aterra Bravo. Set before the outbreak of war with the First Order, Rose and Paige have to operate in secrecy while the rebellion gathers evidence against
Ross Buffa
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars
I really didn’t care for this book. It was like the X-Wing books in the Legends where there is just a lot of fighting in space. Reading that isn’t like seeing it. If that is enjoyable then the book was okay. The only thing that was great was Roses’ backstory and how she relates to Episode VII. So the last part of the book was good. Overall, worth reading as a tie-in, but it’s just a really boring time.
Shane Phillips
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Just ok
DiscoSpacePanther
This took me far too long to get through than a lightweight children's Star Wars novel ought to. Perhaps I am burnt out after reading too many of these children's novels in quick succession (the Star Wars completionist in me insists that I must read them all), this being the fifth one I've tackled in the last few months, but I found myself struggling with the lack of depth in characterisation in Star Wars: Cobalt Squadron.

Like Star Wars: Before The Awakening, Cobalt Squadron suffers from being a
Neil
This was an okay read. For a book as small/short as it is, it sure seemed to take "a while" to read hahahah. It details a "final" mission of Cobalt Squadron that takes place just before the events of The Force Awakens and ends just before the start of The Last Jedi. I guess it is supposed to provide more background to the relationship between Rose and her sister, Paige? I would say the book focuses more on Rose than on Paige, as it does not really seem to add much depth to their interpersonal re ...more
Amanda
I could not wait to get this book. I love Elizabeth Wein so much, and I was so happy to see her name on the spine of a Star Wars book. I was deeply not disappointed and I ended up in tears in this series, which we knew had to happen given how we find Paige and what she is mourning when we first meet her in the series. It was so, so, so well written and my heart to The Tico Sisters forever.

Live plurk readthrough notes below:

ɑรรɑรรiɳcɑptɑiɳ
Hello, Paige & Rose.

ɑรรɑรรiɳcɑptɑiɳ
Eeeeee! That’s wonde
Jean
Beautifully written, as expected from author Elizabeth Wein, of Code Name Verity fame. I liked the tone, steering away from the typical Star Wars kind of adventure and more towards suspense. Again, as expected from the author of Code Name Verity. And I'm sort of in awe of how well she fits the story into the timeline, how masterfully it's done.

But I had a few basic problems. For someone who is not used to "doing talking" with Resistance heroes, Rose sure has a lot of interaction with Leia, and t
Jeanne
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
This has a lot of cool insights into Rose and Paige’s backstory and relationship, but also felt kind of surface level. Perfunctory. Maybe it’s the lack of a plot that really goes anywhere. Like they do stuff, but not much. Which isn’t necessary bad but didn’t really help make the story or characters all that compelling. The facts are interesting on paper and the implications of the sisters being separated for the first time going into the events at the start of The Last Jedi, but I didn’t feel t ...more
Colin McEvoy
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
It's fine. This is a middle grade novel, and it reads that way, so if you're a grown-ass adult like I am, you're probably only going to get so much enjoyment from the book itself. Lol But if you're a completionist Star Wars nerd like I also am, who absorbs every piece of media associated with this awesome franchise, you won't be dissatisfied either. It gives you everything you want in that regard: you get an established back story for a major character (Rose), fleshed out details about minor cha ...more
Alicia
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it

Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME?!? How did I not know that Elizabeth Wein, author of my beloved Code Name Verity, wrote one of the STAR WARS TIE IN NOVELS?? Just imagine a chorus of angels singing right now to fully understand my feelings on this matter. Anyway, this focuses on awesome sisters Paige and Rose Tico, flying spaceships and jerry-rigging equipment and doing reconnaissance missions for the Resistance. (And yes it does talk about their necklaces and
Brigitte
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
I knew this book would hurt my heart and I was not wrong. I was already attached to the Tico sisters, Paige’s death in the first minutes of The Last Jedi has always made me emotional for all we only see her for a short time. Between this book and the TLJ novelization, that emotion will only be worse.

It was really wonderful to get to experience that special sister bond in a Star Wars novel. We don’t get very many sibling relationships in these stories and to explore specifically the say that Ros
Jonathan Hord
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a book intended for younger readers it doesn’t wow with beautiful prose or deal with heavy emotional issues and yet it packs an unexpected powerful punch. This book explains not just the backstory of the brilliant Tico sisters but also successfully explains away the absence of Bombers and Holdo from The Force Awakens while setting up their entrances into The Last Jedi.

A few of the New Canon books have taken side-quests that meant little to the greater narrative, and in someways Cobalt Squadr
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Cobalt Squadron Page Fix 2 15 Jan 21, 2018 10:24PM

• Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: the Last Jedi - The Legends of Luke Skywalker (Star Wars)
  • Spark of the Resistance  (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #3)
  • Canto Bight (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #1)
  • Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure (Star Wars)
  • Most Wanted (Star Wars)
  • Force Collector (Star Wars)
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • Black Spire (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #2)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • Star Wars: Pirate's Price (Flight of the Falcon, #2)
  • Star Wars: The Mighty Chewbacca in the Forest of Fear
  • The Perfect Weapon
  • A Crash of Fate (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #1)
  • Last Shot: A Han and Lando Novel (Star Wars)
  • Queen's Shadow (Star Wars)
  • Alphabet Squadron (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #1)
  • Phasma (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #2)
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
Paste Magazine has listed Code Name Verity as the best YA novel of the 2010 decade! The full list is here:

Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Canto Bight (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #1)
  • Phasma (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #2)
  • Leia: Princess of Alderaan (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #3)
  • Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Captain Phasma
  • A Leader Named Leia
  • The Power of the Force (Journey to Star Wars - The Last Jedi)
  • Star Wars Made Easy: A Beginner's Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
  • Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armor (Star Wars)
  • The Rebel Files (Star Wars)