Start by marking “Moon” as Want to Read:
Moon

Moon

Like many children, Moon leads a busy life. School, homework, music lessons, sports, and the next day it begins again. She wonders if things could be different. Then, one night, she meets a wolf.

The wolf takes Moon deep into the dark, fantastical forest and there she learnsto howl, how to hide, how to be still, and how to be wild.And in that, she learns what it’s like to
Published April 17th 2018 by Clarion Books (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon

Start your review of Moon
Jessica
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have loved Alison Oliver's illustrations for the Babylit books, and when I saw this book the other day at The King's English (we were there for the launch of the final Babylit Primer: Peter Pan!), I instantly recognized Oliver's style and had to read this book.

And then I had to own it.

Because it's wonderful.

The story that goes along with the gorgeous illustrations is fantastic, in this day and age when kids are on anxiety meds because they feel so overwhelmed and stressed out. I feel like
La Coccinelle
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I picked this book up because of the beautiful cover. Of course, it ended up being another one of those books with kids following wild animal tracks into potential danger. (I can sure pick them today!)

Unlike the other book I read today that could've ended with kids getting eaten (The New LiBEARian by Alison Donald), this one was about wolves rather than bears. I'm not entirely sure it was supposed to be literal or if it all took place in Moon's imagination. In any case, it showed her following a
Candace
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Moon has a schedule she follows -- school, homework, sports, music lessons and so on. She wonders what it would be like to be wild and free. One night, Moon steps outside to watch the shooting stars in the night sky. She looks down and notices paw prints. Following the tracks, she meets a wolf, whom she befriends. The wolf teaches Moon its wolfy-ways. They pounce, howl and learn how to be still and listen. The next day, Moon teaches her classmates the wolfy-ways.

This delightful book reminds us
Julie
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
The message of children needing time to be free to explore their natural surroundings is told in a fanciful way that will capture the imagination of both children and adults alike. The accompanying illustrations are truly lovely.
BrocheAroe
Moon and Max (of Where the Wild Things Are fame) would be BFFs. Charming and imaginative, with glimpses of sly humor in the illustrations. We should all learn to take more time like Moon to be still, be wild, and be free.
Melki
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
An over-scheduled young girl learns what it's like to be a wild child from a very unlikely source.

With gorgeous and unusual artwork by the author.

description

description
Woody Chichester
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated, with a simple story about mindfulness through getting in touch with your inner wolf.
KC
A gentle reminder how very necessarily vital nature is to our health and well being.
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
Moon is a book we borrowed from the library, and I'm having a hard time convincing my kids we have to take it back! I promised to buy them a copy for their shelves, and they eventually relented.

I initially grabbed this one because of the beautiful cover, but the author conveys something really important within the story that children (and adults) will be able to relate to.

Every day Moon has a schedule that she follows -- school, sports, lessons, etc. She doesn't feel like she has time for
Jenn
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jessica found this book by the BabyLit illustrator when we were at the King's English for Jen Adams' Peter Pan release party, and I love it so: I love the color schemes, illustrations, word choice, and, especially, the message. It uses the words "wolfie ways," what's not to love?
Julie
Charming picture book that describes Moon's transformation from busy, hardworking student to adventurous, spirited, playful girl who embraces "wolfy ways" in the Great Forest. While the text may be simple and straightforward, it's the gorgeous illustrations that make this book so memorable - executed in watercolor, brush pen, charcoal, and potato stamp, and assembled digitally. With an ethereal palette of purples, white/gray/black shading, and blue-greens, author/illustrator Alison Oliver shares ...more
Emily Polson
Normally I don't review picture books but this one was so beautiful. I want half of the pages framed and hung on my wall immediately. I LOVE that part of Moon "learning to be wild" is about her learning "How to be still, how to listen and feel." I'm so intrigued by the idea that mindfulness of one's surroundings is a form of "wildness," and I love how this helps Moon handle the pressures of school.
GooseberryCompote
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, j-ya
I like Moon's priorities, and I envy her purple skin and blue-black hair.
Kaethe Douglas
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Like Flo this is a book promoting spontaneity and freedom to children. However the author recognizes that kids are allowed no control in scheduling their lives, and so offers them mindfulness as a useful skill to bring down the stress. It's pretty, and it is trying to be helpful, but I feel like it's making the wrong point. "You have no autonomy, so learn to chill" may be a good strategy for harm reduction, but to me it feels defeatist. I don't think I want young children to be told that ...more
Sandy
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wouldn’t we all like to disconnect from the world once in a while and connect to our wild side? To be free and just let go, to experience our wild side.
Moon wondered what it would be like to be free. Free from doing what she was supposed to be doing. Free from her to do-lists. Free from responsibility. Moon tried looking inside her books on how to do this but she couldn’t find the answer. She went to her window to look outside, where she spotted a shooting star. Excited, she raced outside to
Tiffany
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story with some stunning illustrations. This is a perfect story about a girl who is so bogged down with everything the world lays on her shoulders (school, extracurriculars, and so on) - and she goes on with her life until a wolf reminds her what it is like to be free and wild. An excellent story for really all ages (but if you are looking for grade levels - I would put it at like 2nd or 3rd).
Megan (ReadingRover)
Fun little story about balancing the busy day to day activities and constraints in life with letting loose and having some fun out in the wild. The illustrations make the book. The color palette is made up of gorgeous purples and turquoises. They’re fantastic. 3.5 stars
Stephanie
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Moon is a really cute story about a girl who is so overwhelmed by daily life that she forgets how to have fun. One night while looking for shooting stars, Moon finds a wolf who teaches her how be wild and carefree. The wolf reminds moon how to forget about her stresses and enjoy life, which is something we can all stand to learn. The artwork is beautiful, following a dark color scheme with pops of purple and white and showing lots of different textures. Moon is an inspiring book that made me ...more
Michelle
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love wolves and so I loved this book. It's good to connect with your wild side once in awhile.
Cecilia
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Is this a book about a girl discovering she's a furry or about a girl who learns how to zen out of anxiety attacks? It's up to you!
Anna
Just got back from Yellowstone and this picture book perfectly captures the way I feel about my week in wild places. Beautiful message and art.
Edward Sullivan
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An appealing reminder for overscheduled children of the need for play and stillness.
Lynda Dickson
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 3-10
Shelves: children
Moon is busy living a regimented life full of schoolwork and after-school activities. “What would it be like to be free?” she wonders. One night, she meets a wolf who teaches her its wolfy ways. And Moon is changed forever.

This is a delightful book about a girl searching for meaning in her life of drudgery. When she breaks free, she discovers the joys of play, nature, and even stillness, and sets about sharing her new wisdom with others. The gorgeous illustrations, also by the author, feature a
Adriana
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
An unexpected read. I chose to read this book based on the title and cover. I didn't expect for Moon, the main character, to basically be to structured//busy in her life that she doesn't know how to relax. I thought it was a great way to show children who are anxious about school that you need balance in life. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's what I got from this story.
DJL
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Children's books make me so happy! At least this one did!

Moon should be required reading for adults because it serves as a reminder that we all need to make time for play. We need time for exploring. We need time to be wild. We need time to just BE.

So many people are over-scheduled, and children are no exception. I don't recall my time being quite so packed as kids these days, even as a teenager. True, I became busy with classes, Choir, German Club, and my part-time job in high school once I
Shanley
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
absolutely stunning
Sarah Daniluk
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We all need a reminder to be less serious and be more "wild" sometimes. *howls at the moon*
Laura Harrison
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, omg-cant-wait
Stunningly beautiful illustrations.
KDV
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Excellent book about wildness, mindfulness, connecting with yourself and nature. Plus the wolves are SO CUTE!
Joah
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A future classic Oh and lots of Wolves!!!! :)
« previous 1 3 4 next »