Start by marking “John Dee and the Empire of Angels: Enochian Magick and the Occult Roots of the Modern World” as Want to Read:

A comprehensive look at the life and continuing influence of 16th-century scientific genius and occultist Dr. John Dee

• Presents an overview of Dee’s scientific achievements, intelligence and spy work, imperial strategizing, and his work developing methods to communicate with angels

• Pieces together Dee’s fragmentary Spirit Diaries and examines Enochian in precise detail
Published April 17th 2018 by Inner Traditions

To ask other readers questions about John Dee and the Empire of Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Dee and the Empire of Angels

Edward
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is serious scholarship. Let’s get that out of the way from the beginning. If you are expecting a “how to contact your guardian angel in 5 easy lessons” book stay away! Divided into 3 “books” or sections Louv focusing on Dee’s early life, the actual angelic conversations and how this current has continued into modern occultism. Throughout there is careful and detailed attention given to the apocalyptic shenanigans that have taken place on behalf of extreme fringe cults and individuals a ...more
Darius
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
EDIT 1/8/19: I have to push this from 3 stars to 5 upon further reflection and re-reading the ending chapters. I was confused and disappointed by Louv's conclusions initially, which I attributed to a lack of clarity and coherence on his end. Honestly, a large part of my disappointment was that the language of the ending made me uncomfortable at first. It was a stumbling block for a variety of personal reasons, which are neither appropriate or relevant for this review.

More to the point - last nig
kate
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
It was really well written, entertaining, and well researched. That said, I don't agree with the conclusions drawn at the very end. I won't put any spoilers here, but please message me if you want to discuss!
Phil James
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, myths
I thought before reading this it would be involved with an obscure corner of history but out of this dark corner a light of illumination shines. It helped me understand the context for the occultist revival of last century and the apocalyptic obsession of modern culture and politics.
Recommended.
Edric Unsane
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you are interested in the life of John Dee, and how he influenced generations to come, then John Dee and the Empire of Angels is most certainly for you. The amount of scholarly work which went into this book shows, so bravo to the author! I found the book to be great, and it really flushed out quite a few things that I had no knowledge of. I highly recommend this if you are interested in occult history or John Dee as it's everything one needs to know of the man himself.
Michel Ortega
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Historical

This masterpiece is an important body of work about the history of one of the greatest magicians from the last centuries. John Dee, the scientist, the magician, the prophet is a life that must be read, work to study and ideas to meditate.

Jason Louv made an astonishing historical piece. The importance of this work will last and hopefully inspire a lot of people.

XOXO
Rj
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
It really is hard to know what to say about Louv's book on John Dee. It is a fascinating although really odd book. Louv who is not a trained academic has done a lot of research into the life of Dee, but at the same time the book spends a great deal of time and energy on Dee's speaking with angels. The focus on magic and its relationship to modern science, the Rosicurians, the Masons and other such organizations is reminiscent of the connections made in books like The Da Vinci Code which made me ...more
John
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars. A longform conspiracy theory--this is if Disinformation produced actual scholarly work. It's about a polymath/Renaissance man--

The Elizabethan era kind of led a through line to the modern world. The British Empire was a allegedly a meme John Dee divined from an angel. John Dee was as a through line between Copernicus and Newton, but took a left turn. It'd be like if Stephen Hawking became Terrence McKenna.

They presented the idea of the British Empire as necessary--as seen as a protes
Evadare Volney
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a fascinating read, and the most striking thing about it for me is the way it builds on earlier writers on Dee and his life and work like Dame Frances Yates and Benjamin Woolley to carry that legacy of, not just Hermetic magick but also his apocalyptic worldview, into the present day: through the Rosicrucian movement, the Order of the Golden Dawn, Aleister Crowley, and Jack Parsons (whom he compares to Dee as someone who was both a committed occultist and a pioneer in the cutting-edge s ...more
Peter A. Lio
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deep philosophical work

I love his approach here, with excellent writing, clear presentation, and plenty of thought-provoking philosophy. I got a little confused and derailed during the Aethers, but overall this is a foundational book that I cherish.
Peter Morris
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: occult
Could be considered as the leading bio on Dee and the author clearly has made a concerted effort to present the man in a balanced way. Recommended as a good insight into the subject though the later stages of the book were perhaps lees convincing.
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review pending over at at http://www.spiralnature.com/
Nathan
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perhaps the most grand conspiracy I have ever read. Certainly the most well sourced.
Chance
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Revealed an awesome world of magick and it's weird effect on culture.
Christopher Toth
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was Motivated to read this after enjoying an article on Jack Parsons, the inventor of solid rocket fuel and founder of JPL, and his links to the occult. Thanks, random HN commenter!

This book is incredibly interesting, giving a very deep look into sixteenth century occultism and how some of its central characters played outsized roles in the shaping of our modern world.

The characters seem all draped in tragedy, perhaps a side effect of how the author constantly foreshadows the many bad things w
Harris Honeycutt
Andrew Lavin
May 28, 2018
Steve Sloan
Feb 23, 2019
Jason Louv is the author of eight books, including John Dee and the Empire of Angels, Generation Hex, and Thee Psychick Bible. As a journalist, he has covered surveillance, international trade and the dark side of technology for VICE News, Boing Boing, Motherboard and many more. As a futurist and strategist, Jason has worked on Buzz Aldrin’s international campaign to colonize Mars, Google's artifi ...more