Start by marking “Duel to the Death (Ali Reynolds, #13)” as Want to Read:
Duel to the Death (Ali Reynolds, #13)

Duel to the Death

(Ali Reynolds #13)

From New York Times bestselling author and “grand master of the game” (The Providence Journal) J.A. Jance, an electrifying new thriller featuring Ali Reynolds.

Published March 20th 2018 by Gallery Books

Julie
Duel to the Death by J.A. Jance is a 2018 Touchstone Publication.

This thirteenth installment in the Ali Reynolds series picks up pretty much where the last book left off. Stu discovers he has inherited a huge sum of money, but before he can collect he will have to reactivate ‘Frigg’. For those who are unfamiliar, Frigg is an AI program previously deactivated for several disturbing reasons.

However, Stu soon learns he is not the only one who knows about Frigg. Graciella Miramar, a ruthless woman
Jean
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J. A. Jance is one of my favorite mystery authors. This is book number thirteen in the Ali Reynolds series. Usually you can start a Jance series at any point but this book is written as a continuation of the prior book “Man Overboard” so it is best to read book twelve first. Jance delves into some hot and timely topics in this book such as cyber security and bitcoins. Also, a carryover from the prior novel is the artificial Intelligence “Frigg”.

The book is well written and the plot is intriguing
Skip
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Picking up where Man Overboard ended, Stu Ramey and his colleagues from High Noon Enterprises are maneuvered by a Panamian banker, Graciella Miramar, to revive the artificial intelligence (named Frigg). Frigg was developed by the deceased serial killer, Owen Hansen (a/k/a Odin), who transferred Hansen's illegal gains to Ramey to save herself and who has the passwords needed to pay taxes on this wealth. Turns out that Graciella is the illegitimate, psychopathic daughter of a Mexican drug lord, in ...more
LInda L
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots about bitcoins and Artificial Intelligence - AI. Those were kind of interesting in that I may now know more than I did before -- or maybe not. Anyway, I've loved all of J.A. Jance's books that I've read, especially the Joanna Brady series, but also have liked the Ali Reynolds series. Have not read all of the Beaumont series, but expect that when I do, I'll like those as well. This was mostly about one of High Noon's employees, Stuart Ramey, which was interesting, as he has some on-going iss ...more
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

I received this book for free from Publisher for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I have read all three series by J.A. Jance for a long time.  This  Ali Reynolds series, is probably the least realistic of the three, and is not based on law enforcement personnel like the other series.  I still love it. Ali was a news anchor who was briefly in law enforcement and now works with her husba
Bob
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stuart Ramey and the team at High Noon Enterprises find themselves in a bit of a pickle when Stuart receives a message from a Garciella Miramar informing him that he has been given a large amount of assets the formally belonged to a serial killer and computer genius. To get access to the monies hw will have to provide account numbers and passwords to her. This information is held by Frigg, an artificial intelligence program developed by the killer. Fearing for its existence Frigg has sent its me ...more
Donna
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ali Reynolds and her husband B.'s firm High Noon Enterprises assists their employee Stu Ramey when he is left a Bitcoin fortune and an artificial intelligence named Frigg. Stu and Frigg match wits with Graciella, the daughter of a drug cartel kingpin.

Ali and B. both have small roles and mostly just provide support to Stu in this story. If you liked the last Ali Reynolds book, Man Overboard, you will like this one as it's a continuation of the same story. I'm amazed at everything Frigg is able t
Donna Davis
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die hard fans of the series, maybe.
Jance is one of my favorite hometown writers, and so I was pleased to see this title offered on Net Galley. Thanks go to that site and Touchstone for the free review copy. It’s for sale now.

This is the 13th entry in the Ali Reynolds series, and its constant readers will likely want to read this one also. New readers may be a harder sell. Although the novel has some bright spots, it’s slow to wake up and burdened with a number of issues, some of which are deal-breakers.

The opening is slow, and
Luanne Ollivier
J.A. Jance is an author I've read for years. She writes many series and I'm hard pressed to pick a favourite. Duel to the Death is the latest in the Ali Reynolds series.

From the publisher:

"After taking down the man responsible for his best friend’s death, Stuart Ramey thinks the case is finally closed. That is, until Stu finds himself left with a multimillion dollar fortune in Bitcoin in a desperate bid by Frigg, a rogue A.I. program created by the killer, to keep itself from being fully deactiv
Betsy Barnes
This story was better than the last book but still not up to the true Ali R. adventures. She is a supporting character in this book as she was in the last book. I understand the desire to develop other players but not at the expense of the main character! I hope J.A. Jance gets back on track in the upcoming books - #14 due in April.
Ladyhawk
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I normally reserve 5 star ratings for Epic stories. You know, the ones that trek through time or at least across the globe. But this... was such a great, creative story! Jance offers up some page turning suspense! Even if you can anticipate what may happen next, you still can't turn away from it.
Sally Lemon
Mar 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jackie Chattopadhyay
Disappointed.

I’m an avid J. A. Jance reader, enough that we once took a trip to Bisbee. This book isn’t her best.
Mark
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
A follow-up to "Man Overboard" which I haven't read...So-so Ali Reynolds as the gang at High Noon Enterprises confront the collateral leftovers from the deceased serial murderer from "Man Overboard & the AI that Stuart Ramey holds the key to...throw in Mexican drug lords, drug cartels, MS-13 killers & we have a page-turner, but certainly not the best from Jance!
BJ
Love this series. Totally engrossing, enjoyable read. Read the whole book in one day.
Kristen Lewendon
Well. That was better than I was expecting it to be considering how it started out. The author was seriously let down by her editing team/beta readers/continuity checkers. When I ran face-first into a couple I thought were particularly unforgivable, I was hard pressed to keep reading. I can definitely see why so many other reviewers were crying “foul” about the way it ends. It is quite literally deus ex machina. There is no way this story could have turned out this way without the intervention o ...more
Nancy
Apr 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is my last Ali Reynolds. I couldn’t finish it.
Presschick
Jul 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-novels
Jance's writing is so dry you could light tinder with it. The story has great potential to enthral, but the characters are one-dimensional and hardly empathetic. Not worth the read.
John W.
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J. A. Jance’s new Ali Reynolds release is captivating look at the subject of artificial intelligence. In DUEL TO THE DEATH, Jance provides her readers with an intriguing plot featuring the principal characters she has created over her first twelve books. She skillfully provides each characters' background as needed and at the same time continues ongoing development as each character comes into her fast-moving storyline. In the tech side of the storyline, the author keeps readers on pins and nee ...more
Nick Duretta
I braced myself for this one, as it includes the bizarre character of Frigg, who was introduced in the previous book of the Ali Reynolds series. An Artificial Intelligence entity "living" entirely in cyberspace, Frigg is a bit more easy to take in this one, perhaps because it doesn't have a stock serial killer villain. Also, Jance does a better job exploring the dynamics of tracking down a villain online and arranging their demise (some of it brought about by the villain herself). Stuart Ramey, ...more
Joyce
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stuart Ramey enlists the help of Ali Reynolds and the team of cybersecurity
colleagues at High Noon Enterprises to find out who wants to purchase
Frigg -a rogue AI program created by a killer to keep itself from being
deactivated. Graciella Miramar who works for the leader of a drug cartel
will do anything to get her hands on the AI program. Stu and the team work
Together to take down the cartel and save Frigg. It is a fat paced and
exciting thriller with good characters and storyline. I enjoyed this
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, mystery
Stuart Ramey has a problem and it can and will cause many more. He shut down Frigg and now he has to bring her back on line. Who is Frigg? A very complex computer program and there is someone who wants Frigg and will do anything to get her. This is a really interesting plot. We get to follow not only Stu, Ali, and B we also get to follow the characters who want the program. I loved following each character and seeing how everything would work out. It was also fun to watch the interaction between ...more
Carolyn
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've pretty much decided that my favorite J. A. Jance series is the one I read most recently. I love the family of characters and their interactions. The international intrigue in recent books has expanded the scope and my interest. And the newest character, an artificial intelligence named Frigg, makes for excellent possibilities as stories develop. As always, I'm eager for the next one.
Melissa
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book #33 read in 2018

This started slow as there were so many characters to keep track of at the beginning. However, in Jance's masterful way, she tied it all together in a great continuation of the previous novel in this series.
Mary L.
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woke up this morning at 3:30 and couldn't get back to sleep so started reading Duel to the Death again. Ali Reynolds and B. Simpson help out Stuart (the 2nd in command at High Noon their cyber security company) when he is willed a lot of bitcom type money and an artificial intelligence named Figg. Figg has quite the personality and the interaction between them in trying to keep her out of the hands of the bad guys is the reason I stayed awake and finished the book at 6 this morning.
Renee Glassberg
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good J.A. Jance thriller.
annapi
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm having difficulty rating this, but ultimately it's 3.5. Rounding up or down can go either way, but for now I'll round up just because I like the series overall even though it's not the greatest. The reason for the waffling is that though I enjoyed the story, which brings the secondary character Stu Ramey front and center along with the genius AI Frigg from the previous book of the series, ultimately there was no real conflict as we have in Frigg the ultimate Mary Sue.

In the previous book Stu
Susan Lindemulder
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Picks up where "Man Overboard" left off (I suggest you read in that order so you get the full story). I really enjoy J.A. Jance's books; well-written and good mysteries. Each of her characters begins to feel like old friends with each book you read. Well done!
Angie
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-books-2019
WOW!! I couldn't put this book down. Another great story by J A Jance. And does she know the world of bitcoins and AI or what???
Karen Dunaway
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps not weighty enough for 5 stars, but it was every bit a delight. Ms. Janice has upped her game.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Play Book Tag: Duel to the Death by J.A. Jance - 3.5 stars 1 13 Mar 23, 2018 10:51AM

• Under Cold Stone (Constable Molly Smith #7)
  • High Country Nocturne
  • Bitter Crossing (Peyton Cote #1)
  • Flashover (Georgia Skeehan, #2)
  • Bury the Lead (Joe Gunther #29)
  • Come Dark (Posadas County Mystery #11)
  • Dark Reservations
  • A Study in Treason (The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries #2)
  • Driving Lessons
  • Awakening Compassion: Meditation Practice for Difficult Times
  • Superfluous Women (Daisy Dalrymple, #22)
  • A Delicate Touch (Stone Barrington, #48)
  • The Guilty Dead (Monkeewrench, #9)
  • Shiver Hitch (Jane Bunker Mystery #3)
  • Dead Ex
  • The Girl in the Green Silk Gown (Ghost Roads #2)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann

Ali Reynolds (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Edge of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #1)
  • Web of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #2)
  • Hand of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #3)
  • Cruel Intent (Ali Reynolds, #4)
  • Trial by Fire (Ali Reynolds, #5)
  • Fatal Error (Ali Reynolds, #6)
  • Left for Dead (Ali Reynolds, #7)
  • Deadly Stakes (Ali Reynolds, #8)
  • Moving Target (Ali Reynolds, #9)
  • Cold Betrayal (Ali Reynolds, #10)
“A wise man changes his mind; a fool never does.” 0 likes