Start by marking “Seb and the Sun” as Want to Read:
Seb and the Sun

Seb and the Sun

Nominee, Ezra Jack Keats Award

Seb is determined to find some light for his sleepy coastal town. It is so far north, the sun does not shine in winter and the days are cold, dreary, and dark as night. So Seb embarks on a mission to find the sun. Along with his friend Walrus, he makes a plan, collects supplies, and rows far out to sea. Will Seb be able to find the sun and br
Published March 20th 2018 by Ripple Grove Press

To ask other readers questions about Seb and the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seb and the Sun

Start your review of Seb and the Sun
La Coccinelle
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This is a fanciful story about a little boy who lives in the far north. During the winter, it's dark, and Seb has to play in the darkness. He wants to bring some light into the gloom, so he comes up with a plan. With his friend Walrus, he takes some supplies (including honey sandwiches; who knew walruses liked those?) and heads out to sea in a rowboat, determined to catch some sunlight.

The story here is simple, and there's not a lot of text. The pictures really steal the show, though. They're da
Karla Valenti
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SEB AND THE SUN is the delightful adventure of a young boy who sets out to find the sun after a long winter spell. But this is not just any adventure; at its heart, this is a tale of love and the importance of community, it is a testament to the power of hope. Seb's pursuit may be a magical one, but children will easily relate to the great courage it takes to believe in the impossible. In addition, the artwork in this book is as moving and magical as the text, sure to delight readers young and o ...more
Kelly Carey
I loved the illustrations and the mystical magical setting -- and who wouldn't want a pet walrus!

I stumbled a bit wondering what exactly was it that Seb pulled from the ocean? Total fantasy magic? Glowing sea creatures? It left me more perplexed than satisfied -
Kat
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Simple story, beautiful illustrations!
Alex Richey
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, THAT'S relatable.
BrookesEducationLibrary
Definitely an Oliver Jeffers feel to this heart-warming adventure book with a young boy in search of some sunshine :)
Kristina Jean Lareau
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
Beautiful.
Tara Luebbe
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This illustrations in this book are beautiful. I felt like I was in a cold arctic town while looking at this. The MC is a boy who has a Walrus BF who go in search of the sun. The story is sweet and has a feel a bit like an Oliver Jeffers book like Lost, or The Moose Belongs to Me. A good follow up to Mae and the Moon, the author's previous book.
Katelyn Aronson
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a touch of HYGGE (happiness/coziness) to light long, wintry evenings. A perfect bedtime book for little ones and for anyone who wants to be transported to the far North while snuggling beneath the covers. I fell in love with Seb, his walrus sidekick, and their quest to restore a bit of light to their arctic community. Jami Gigot revisits an age-old theme in a brand-new way and graces it with glowing illustrations. To me, Seb and the Sun has all the makings of a classic.
Linda
A young boy, Seb, wants so much to bring light to his far north town on the coast. The sun never shines in winter and the days are dark and dreary -- The illustrations show it’s cold, too in multiple grays, with touches of green. It’s clever to see the varied kinds of artificial light in the story, like miners’ lights on their heads, one lown lamp outside a building, and lit windows. Seb has an idea, asks for help and gets rope, yarn, fishing line and a bucket, then begins his mission with frien ...more
Derick Wilder
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In a delightful follow-up to Mae and the Moon, author-illustrator Jami Gigot once again takes us on a magical visual journey. The richness of the text and illustration brings the iciness of Seb’s hometown to life on the pages. His subsequent quest with Walrus, his trusty companion, is an adventure filled with understated beauty. And Seb’s only-a-child-could-think-of-it solution will surely warm readers’ hearts.
Jj
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Part fantasy, part realistic fiction, this is a funny little story which brings sweetness and light. The illustrations are well-suited to the tale, but because it's about a place enveloped in darkness, they are... quite dark and sometimes difficult to make out. They did a decent job with printing so that they could be fairly distinguishable without floodlamps, but it's still going to make me recommend this as more of a one-on-one read with a kid or two than in a storytime with a group.
Sheri
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This author has a book dealing with the the moon and now Seb and his quest to see the sun more from his dark seaside village. He befriends a walrus and they look for the sun together. Fun read aloud to children who don't live in villages by the northern sea with little sunshine and northern lights.
This ties in with studies of the moon and sun and science in the core curriculum and a story that is endearing. Who wouldn't want a walrus for a companion?
Cheriee Weichel
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I finished this and said to myself, what the heck?! I read it a couple of times and I love it more each time. The art is brilliant! Seb lives in his far north community where the sun disappears in the winter. Tired of the dark, Seb and his walrus friend set out in a rowboat to bring some sun back home.
These days with Greta Thunberg inspiring the planet to do better, Seb’s story of accomplishing the impossible feels just right.
Iqra Fiaz
A heartwarming story about a young boy trying to find the sun. He wants to brighten up the dark winter days and nights in the hope that warmth will return to his town. The depth and detail of the illustrations highlight the hidden gems of the night, such as Aurora Borealis or, closer to home, the many faces of the moon. An overall enjoyable story.
mary dewley
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such a delightful read! Seb longs to see the sun again. The winters seem to last forever where he lives. He devises a plan to capture sunlight and bring it back to his town. Along with his friend walrus, Seb heads out to sea.

This book would be perfect for a drab winter day!
Kendra
My 3-year-old nephew really enjoyed this book so we read it at least five times over a couple of days. We especially loved the contrast between the end papers, the throwing of the bucket, and walrus' love of sandwiches. :)
e.  ellor
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is hard to contain in words how much I love this book. It is utterly unique: an original setting, original characters, original story. It addresses community and sharing in a heartwarming way that is not at all saccharine or moralistic. The book is well written but it is the way the writing is paired with wordless yet beautifully illustrated pages that really blew me away. Having read this in the middle of our New England 90 days of grey winter my son and I both were ready to paddle a boat ou ...more
Kate Talbot
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book that I haven't been able to stop thinking about for days. Definitely worth checking out.
Steph
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This took my breath away... I very much feel like the town in the story could be Tromso (in Norway) and I love every sweet little character in Seb's village.

Just so lovely.
Kelly
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderful storybook.
Rob McGrory
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hypnotic and delightful. A real sweet tale of a little boy living far north where it's dark all day and his quest to capture the sun. Kids of all ages (even as old as me) would love.
Heather
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime-ideas
Sweet magical realism tale of a little boy with an inventive idea to solve the problem of winter darkness in the north. Not sure if it's quite the right pick for my storytime crowd. Ages 4-7.
Kevin Summers
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sample quote: "Seb lived in a sleepy coastal town far in the north. So far north that the sun did not shine in winter and the days were cold, dreary, and dark as night. Seb missed the sun."
Alison
Super cute book about Seb bringing the sun to his gloomy corner of the world. I really liked the illustrations and thought the gloom looked cozy.
Marianne
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Exceptionally charming art but the middle made no sense to me emotionally.
Angela
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
Seb sets out to find the sun with his friend Walrus. A story about the hope and magic one person can bring into the lives of others.
kim
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
super cute, almost a 5
Miss Sarah
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
A young boy's village has lost the sun, which has dramatically changed the village. Can he and his Walrus friend find a way to bring the sun back? Preschool and up
Robin
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet, quiet, and visually mesmerizing. Highly recommended for ages 5-7.

• The Rough Patch
  • The Remember Balloons
  • Je ne suis pas ta maman
  • Truman