Start by marking “Brightly Burning” as Want to Read:
Brightly Burning

Brightly Burning

This is a previously published edition of ISBN 9781328948939. An alternative cover edition for this ISBN can be found here.

Seventeen-year-old Stella Ainsley wants just one thing: to go somewhere—anywhere—else. Her home is a floundering spaceship that offers few prospects, having been orbiting an ice-encased Earth for two hundred years. When a private ship hires her as a go
Published May 1st 2018 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Brightly Burning, please sign up.
Alexa Yes, Brightly Burning stands alone! I am writing a companion retelling set in the same universe, but both can be read separately and each tells a…moreYes, Brightly Burning stands alone! I am writing a companion retelling set in the same universe, but both can be read separately and each tells a complete story.(less)
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,039 books — 5,367 voters
Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi AdeyemiThe Hazel Wood by Melissa AlbertSky in the Deep by Adrienne YoungEverless by Sara  HollandAmerican Panda by Gloria Chao
YA Debuts 2018
153 books — 642 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This book is supposed to be a sci-fi version of Jane Eyre. It fucking sucks.

Beware: lots of cursing in this review. I am in a spicy mood today.

Our main character, Stella (Jane Eyre) is a brilliant spaceship engineer who has long harbored high hopes of being...a fucking governess. Not that there's anything wrong with being a governess, mind you, but ffs. It's like if I had an engineering Ph.D and chose to work as a nanny. It's dumb and seriously, fuck that stupid dream.
“We both know you aren’
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Oh my goodness, this was one wild ride. I wasn't expecting it. I mean... okay. I know the story of Jane Eyre (it actually freaked me out when I was little) - so I knew to expect some craziness.

But I didn't expect to be PUNCHED IN THE FACE MULTIPLE TIMES BY ALL THE FEELS.

I'm getting ahead of myself.

Let me begin by saying that this is the perfect reimagining of Jane Eyre. In fact, I liked it more than the original story. And even if you aren't a Jane Eyre fan, give this a go. Brightly Burning is
Lola
You know what’s *brightly burning* right now?

My anger. At myself, mostly. This is a retelling of Jane Eyre, and while the original story bored me to death, I was somewhat intrigued by this one.

After all, one of the main reasons why Jane Eyre didn't work for me was because Mr. Rochester is in his forties, and even though I believe in the *age is just a number* concept, I’m also skeptical that dating someone (more than) twice your age is a good idea.

That’s not a problem here, seeing that the Capt
megs_bookrack
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
CONFESSION:

I have never read Jane Eyre.

I know, I know. Put your pitchforks down....

How can I possibly rate a Jane Eyre retelling without having read the original source material?

Well, I am going to rely on my very light knowledge from the multiple adaptations that I have viewed. My favorite being the movie starring Mia Wasikowska.

Brightly Burning, is a stand-alone YA science fiction novel that retells the story of Jane Eyre but set in SPACE.

That sold me.
I will literally read anything if yo
Carrie
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Brightly Burning by Alexa Donne is a young adult science fiction fantasy with a dash of romance that is also an imaginative retelling of the classic Jane Eyre. Of course what better way to modernize a classic than to do a take of it that is futuristic feeling in the setting with the story taking place upon a space ship.

Seventeen year old Stella Ainsley was working as an engineer aboard the poorest ship of the fleet after being raised in a wealthier life with an aunt that didn’t want her so she s
Erika Cruz
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reader, this book exceeded my expectations.

This is a thrilling YA retelling of Jane Eyre set in space. It’s the story of the very likeable Stella Ainsely and her love affair with her employer, the brooding yet passionate Hugo Fairfax. Stella is a very skilled and able-bodied young woman because she doubles as both a governess AND ship mechanic. (love this!) She is a smart, caring and inquisitive main character, and I love that she has so much conviction towards her own thoughts and feelings.

Wha
Candace Robinson
This was a pretty fun book! I will say I could have done without the made up curse word "frex"

Also the love interest was drunk pretty much most of the book! This is still one of the better space YA books I have read, though.

Got approved for this on Netgalley. Why do they not say ahead of time if something is PDF only??? When I read off the Ipad, I get a migraine after like reading ONE page. I need it for my Kindle!!!! Oh, well, suffer I must.
jv poore
Abruptly orphaned at only seven years old, Stella Ainsley slid down the human hierarchy and was relocated from the elitist Empire to a humbler space-craft, the Stalwart. Inhabited mostly by hard-working farmers that had won a lottery, Stella would never fit in. Instead, she clung to fond memories of her father, following in his footsteps to become a skilled and trusted engineer.

Sadly, she hates every moment of it. Teaching Ancient Earth Science brings her joy. Preparing students for “…when it c
Alexa
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-debuts
4/18/18 Update: If you'd like to get a signed copy of Brightly Burning but don't anticipate seeing me at an event, you can order a signed copy via The Ripped Bodice! I'm so excited to partner with this amazing local indie, and the first & only all-romance book store in the United States! If you order through The Ripped Bodice, you will also get an exclusive Brightly Burning bookmark! http://www.therippedbodicela.com/prod...

4/9/18 Update: If you pre-order Brightly Burning and turn in your pro
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
**Many thanks to HMH Books for Young Readers for sending me an ARC. This in no way influenced my review-my opinions are my own**

This is one of those times where I emailed the publisher and didn’t expect any response-and I didn’t get one. Oh well, right? But then, one night when I had been having a bad day, I came home to the most exciting and unexpected package-this beauty of an arc. I knew I had to read it right away-and I’m so glad I did.

I just loved the two main characters so much. Especially
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
As a huge fan of Jane Eyre, I was really excited to read a YA retelling of the story. So, I went into this book with high expectations, AND THIS BOOK EXCEEDS ALL OF THOSE EXPECTATIONS! I AM AN EMOTIONAL MESS! I WANT TO HUG THIS BOOK FOREVER!!!! THIS WAS A FREAKING ROLLER COASTER!!!

Okay, I let me get back to the actual review.

One of the things I enjoyed the most about this book was the way the author took Jane Eyre and put such a refreshing and interesting twist to it. Even though I could predic
Erin
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
3.5 stars for a fairly adequate Jane Eyre retelling.

Brightly Burning takes place in a futuristic world where people are living in space because planet Earth has basically gone down the path of devastating destruction. Enter Stella Ainsley, our protagonist, who finds herself transferred to the private ship Rochester and becomes teacher and governess to young Jessa, little sister of the mysterious captain, Hugo. The ship is rumoured to be haunted and Stella is of course curious to learn all it
Liz Parker
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This Jane Eyre retelling is the perfect book for fans of the classic who also have a love of space. While the parallels to Jane Eyre are clear throughout for those who love the original story, this novel definitely stands alone for anyone who isn't familiar with Jane Eyre. The slow-burn build up of the romance + the high stakes of the fleet's safety making it hard to put down!

I'd definitely recommend to fans of Marissa Meyer and Beth Revis. Even if space isn't your thing, I'd still tell you to
Alyssa
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reader, I loved it.

Alexa Donne is just reverential enough to the heart and spirit of Jane Eyre to delight this Bronte fan - but at the same time she's done a beautiful job expanding the story that I was still on the edge of my seat.

Stella, an engineer and ammeter artist, is a brilliant Jane for a new era. She's got guts, brains, and drive - but an uncertain future. Hugo, the Captain of The Rochester, is delightfully broody and haunted by his past. Put them together, and I couldn't turn the page
✨ Kaira ✨
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Plot - 4.5
Writing style - 4
Characters - 4
Romance - 4

In which a seventeen-year-old engineer applied at a private ship for a governess spot. There, she began developing romantic feelings with the captain who turns out to be her student's dashing older brother.

Plot - Truth be told, I am no genius about Jane Eyre. Of course, I've heard about the novel itself, even thought of giving it a shot. But alas, I never seem to bring myself to actually do it. Maybe someday.

Like I said, I rarely know a thing
Adrienne Young
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Had a chance to read an early copy and oh my, did it hit the light sci-fi sweet spot! Fun characters, a haunted spaceship, a mysterious man, and stars as far as the eye can see. The last time I read a book with this feel was ACROSS THE UNIVERSE by Beth Revis and I have to say I loved it just as much. This was such a fun read and I have no doubt the masses will feel the same! Pre-order worthy FOR SURE.
Emily A. Duncan
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
JANE! EYRE! IN! SPACE!

and it is exactly that. Just as clever, just as heartfelt, just as romantic, with a stellar cast of characters and inventive world building. Just enough science fiction to make this an utterly delightful space romance.
Amy Risner
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books, 2018-arcs
ARC provided by HMH in exchange for an honest review

I was super pumped to receive this advanced copy of Brightly Burning from HMH. I am so thankful I got the chance to read this before publication. Truly, I am so grateful for these opportunities. Even if I didn’t love it, I still want to give you all my thoughts and genuine feelings!

So, with that being said, I did like the book, but I didn’t love it. It’s probably just me, y’all. I had just finished The Illuminae Files recently, and those are so
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Me: Please have a pretty cover, please have a pretty cover...
---
Update 10/26/17
*Sees cover*
And...wow major let down
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Sorry that cover is not appealing to me at all, so if I end up reading this it'll probably be on my Kindle
Alexandra
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1018
I received an e-ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Review can also be found on *Milky Way of Books*

I couldn't be happier than getting the chance to review this lovely book! Knowing that Netgalley rarely grants requests to INT readers, I was very excited!
The book follows Stella, a young girl who is also a mechanic, a teacher and lives into a spaceship orbing around a frozen Earth.
There are also many spaceships orbiting around Earth and lots of the have manes that can either rem
Cori Reed
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Jane Eyre, so getting to read a retelling was a treat.

I do think this book hovers more around 3.5 star personally, but I really loved it and enjoyed my time reading it so much I had to bump it up.

This had all of the elements of Jane Eyre we know and love, but set aboard various space crafts. The twists and turns of the original story are all also present, and I just think Alexa Donne has done an awesome job with this one! Add it to your TBRs for May!
Nina-Tala (JustAddAWord) Shannak
I like this book more than I care to admit.

Look, I'll be honest: you could set anything in space, and I'll all but guarantee I'll like it. Once you consider the grand scope of things, YA books set in space are this teeny tiny group, and I am always, always there for a story set among the stars, because there are so few of them.

And I realize that this is not really an endorsement of this book, right? I'll pick up, and probably love, any space story you throw at me. I was sure of that even before
K.
Trigger warnings: blood, death, alcohol abuse, plague.

This is a YA retelling of Jane Eyre set in space. Of course I was going to read it. And I enjoyed the crap out of this. It manages to tread the line very neatly between a strict retelling and being its own story.

The characters were solid, I really liked the writing, and the "there's an ice age on earth so now we're in space" thing worked surprisingly well. It was kind of like Jane Eyre crossed with Cinder. And I thoroughly enjoyed it (althou
♠️ TABI ♠️
May 05, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-i-own
Jane Eyre . . . IN SPACE????

Update: 10/26/17

JUST LOOK AT THAT BEAUTIFUL PURPLE COVER!!!! JUST!!! LOOK!!!!

i.
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a delightful mixture of si-fy and romance. A strong-willed female character with a penchant for unrequited love and a mysterious but utterly attractive captain will certainly remind you of Jane Eyre. I didn't know how much I missed reading novels like this one until I started Brightly burning. A must-read for fans of both genres.

www.theleisurediaires.blogspot.com
Lilly (Lair Of Books)
I've been on such a YA Sci-fi kick lately & this is one I can't stop thinking about! *eeeK* NEED all sci-fi books in my life <3!

*eGalley provided by Edelweiss/HMH in exchange for an honest review*
Jessica
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was really fun!

RTC closer to publication. Thanks NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC!
Austine (NovelKnight)
It's odd to read a re-telling for a story that you've never read. Brightly Burning, described as a sci-fi version of Jane Eyre, follows Stella Ainsley as she takes on the role of governess on the Rochester, a private ship with all sorts of mysteries aboard.

Based on my cursory look at the synopsis for Jane Eyre, I suppose the book hit the major points pretty well so there's a plus if you're a fan of the original story. But I'm not a loyal Bronte fan and I had some issues with this particular take
Lenore .
I'm struggling to see the resemblance of this book to Jane Eyre. The MC is nothing like Jane - she hasn't come through as particularly smart thus far, and she lusts after guys every second sentence.
Guy #1 (the best friend):
He stepped into the classroom and, oh God, I could tell he was wet - just showered. [...] George nodded, then indicated I should come close. Yes, please.

Guy #2 (random engineering guy):
he was something nice to look at while I put in hard labor for the next few hours

Guy #1 agai
Kayla
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-favrouites
I loved this book so much! I've never actaully read Jane Eyre but I'm aware of the storyline and I don't know if it follows it but I had such a great time with this book.

• The Pioneer (The Pioneer, #1)
  • Goddess in the Machine
  • Sanity & Tallulah
  • Pitch Dark
  • Atlas Fallen (Cyber Crown #1)
  • The Never Weres
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy, #1)
  • Sweet Black Waves (Sweet Black Waves #1)
  • Last of Her Name
  • A Spark of White Fire (The Celestial Trilogy, #1)
  • Hearts & Other Body Parts
  • Speak Easy, Speak Love
  • Ignite the Stars (Ignite the Stars, #1)
  • The Tombs
  • Dare Mighty Things
  • Mayfly
  • Heart of Iron (Heart of Iron, #1)
  • Sanctuary (Sanctuary, #1)
“Don't you want to know why I don't love Bianca?"
"Because you met her?" I said into the rough fabric of his coat, sure he couldn't hear me. He could, and he laughed.
"That's why I love you Stella. You have a good hear, but also a sharp tongue. The perfect combination.”
3 likes
“I couldn't help it. I laughed, "I'm sorry," I said, "but I thought that you said the Rochester was orbiting the moon. But that's crazy.” 2 likes