Start by marking “Brightly Burning” as Want to Read:
Brightly Burning

Brightly Burning

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  4,327 ratings  ·  1,089 reviews
This is a previously published edition of ISBN 9781328948939. An alternative cover edition for this ISBN can be found here.

Seventeen-year-old Stella Ainsley wants just one thing: to go somewhere—anywhere—else. Her home is a floundering spaceship that offers few prospects, having been orbiting an ice-encased Earth for two hundred years. When a private ship hires her as a go
Published May 1st 2018 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Brightly Burning, please sign up.
Alexa Yes, Brightly Burning stands alone! I am writing a companion retelling set in the same universe, but both can be read separately and each tells a comp…moreYes, Brightly Burning stands alone! I am writing a companion retelling set in the same universe, but both can be read separately and each tells a complete story.(less)
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,020 books — 5,593 voters
Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi AdeyemiThe Hazel Wood by Melissa AlbertSky in the Deep by Adrienne YoungEverless by Sara  HollandAmerican Panda by Gloria Chao
YA Debuts 2018
153 books — 639 voters

More lists with this book...

·  4,327 ratings  ·  1,089 reviews

Start your review of Brightly Burning
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This book is supposed to be a sci-fi version of Jane Eyre. It fucking sucks.

Beware: lots of cursing in this review. I am in a spicy mood today.

Our main character, Stella (Jane Eyre) is a brilliant spaceship engineer who has long harbored high hopes of being...a fucking governess. Not that there's anything wrong with being a governess, mind you, but ffs. It's like if I had an engineering Ph.D and chose to work as a nanny. It's dumb and seriously, fuck that stupid dream.
“We both know you are
megs_bookrack
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
**3.5-stars rounded up**

Y'all, I have a confession. Brace yourselves for what I am about to say may shock you. I have never read Jane Eyre.

I know, I know. You can put your pitchfork down. How can I possibly rate a Jane Eyre retelling without having read the original source material?

The answer is, probably not well, but I'm going to try.

Brightly Burning, is a stand-alone YA Science-Fiction novel that retells the story of Jane Eyre, but set in SPACE.

That sold me. I will literally read anything i
Carrie
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Brightly Burning by Alexa Donne is a young adult science fiction fantasy with a dash of romance that is also an imaginative retelling of the classic Jane Eyre. Of course what better way to modernize a classic than to do a take of it that is futuristic feeling in the setting with the story taking place upon a space ship.

Seventeen year old Stella Ainsley was working as an engineer aboard the poorest ship of the fleet after being raised in a wealthier life with an aunt that didn’t want her so she s
jv poore
Abruptly orphaned at only seven years old, Stella Ainsley slid down the human hierarchy and was relocated from the elitist Empire to a humbler space-craft, the Stalwart. Inhabited mostly by hard-working farmers that had won a lottery, Stella would never fit in. Instead, she clung to fond memories of her father, following in his footsteps to become a skilled and trusted engineer.

Sadly, she hates every moment of it. Teaching Ancient Earth Science brings her joy. Preparing students for “…when it c
Erika Cruz
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reader, this book exceeded my expectations.

This is a thrilling YA retelling of Jane Eyre set in space. It’s the story of the very likeable Stella Ainsely and her love affair with her employer, the brooding yet passionate Hugo Fairfax. Stella is a very skilled and able-bodied young woman because she doubles as both a governess AND ship mechanic. (love this!) She is a smart, caring and inquisitive main character, and I love that she has so much conviction towards her own thoughts and feelings.

Wha
tappkalina

All of y'all 'The 100' fans out there!
This is the closest I have ever come to witness something similar to season 1! 😭😭😭 And it feels so good!

My favorite quote:
“Say that again,” I practically whispered.
“I love you,” he obliged, but I shook my head.
“No, the other thing,” I insisted.
“What?” Hugo replied with genuine confusion.
“That I’m your equal.”

I have a love-hate relationship with Hugo. One moment I wanted them to be endgame, the other I was against it. But I'm okay with how it ended.
Alexa
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-debuts
4/18/18 Update: If you'd like to get a signed copy of Brightly Burning but don't anticipate seeing me at an event, you can order a signed copy via The Ripped Bodice! I'm so excited to partner with this amazing local indie, and the first & only all-romance book store in the United States! If you order through The Ripped Bodice, you will also get an exclusive Brightly Burning bookmark! http://www.therippedbodicela.com/prod...

4/9/18 Update: If you pre-order Brightly Burning and turn in your proof o
Miranda
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a huge fan of Jane Eyre, I was really excited to read a YA retelling of the story. So, I went into this book with high expectations, AND THIS BOOK EXCEEDS ALL OF THOSE EXPECTATIONS! I AM AN EMOTIONAL MESS! I WANT TO HUG THIS BOOK FOREVER!!!! THIS WAS A FREAKING ROLLER COASTER!!!

Okay, I let me get back to the actual review.

One of the things I enjoyed the most about this book was the way the author took Jane Eyre and put such a refreshing and interesting twist to it. Even though I could pred
Erin
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
3.5 stars for a fairly adequate Jane Eyre retelling.

Brightly Burning takes place in a futuristic world where people are living in space because planet Earth has basically gone down the path of devastating destruction. Enter Stella Ainsley, our protagonist, who finds herself transferred to the private ship Rochester and becomes teacher and governess to young Jessa, little sister of the mysterious captain, Hugo. The ship is rumoured to be haunted and Stella is of course curious to learn all it
Chelsea ✨Arielle’s Nebular Ally and Team Acrux✨
**Many thanks to HMH Books for Young Readers for sending me an ARC. This in no way influenced my review-my opinions are my own**

This is one of those times where I emailed the publisher and didn’t expect any response-and I didn’t get one. Oh well, right? But then, one night when I had been having a bad day, I came home to the most exciting and unexpected package-this beauty of an arc. I knew I had to read it right away-and I’m so glad I did.

I just loved the two main characters so much. Especially
Liz Parker
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This Jane Eyre retelling is the perfect book for fans of the classic who also have a love of space. While the parallels to Jane Eyre are clear throughout for those who love the original story, this novel definitely stands alone for anyone who isn't familiar with Jane Eyre. The slow-burn build up of the romance + the high stakes of the fleet's safety making it hard to put down!

I'd definitely recommend to fans of Marissa Meyer and Beth Revis. Even if space isn't your thing, I'd still tell you to
Claude's Bookzone
Well that was an interesting sci-fi reimagining of Jane Eyre.

I think the author spent a bit too much time on some elements of the story foregoing what were, in my opinion, the more interesting ones. I mean pretty much the entire human population is orbiting a frozen earth in a fleet of space ships! Some of which are about to plummet down to earth due to their state of disrepair. That stuff is the gold right there! Anyway, I guess the Jane Eyre part is important too. The relationship between Stel
Alyssa
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reader, I loved it.

Alexa Donne is just reverential enough to the heart and spirit of Jane Eyre to delight this Bronte fan - but at the same time she's done a beautiful job expanding the story that I was still on the edge of my seat.

Stella, an engineer and ammeter artist, is a brilliant Jane for a new era. She's got guts, brains, and drive - but an uncertain future. Hugo, the Captain of The Rochester, is delightfully broody and haunted by his past. Put them together, and I couldn't turn the page
Kiki
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Mostly enjoyed this one - it was a whole lot of fun - but the ending let me down a bit. RTC.
Amy Risner
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books, 2018-arcs
ARC provided by HMH in exchange for an honest review

I was super pumped to receive this advanced copy of Brightly Burning from HMH. I am so thankful I got the chance to read this before publication. Truly, I am so grateful for these opportunities. Even if I didn’t love it, I still want to give you all my thoughts and genuine feelings!

So, with that being said, I did like the book, but I didn’t love it. It’s probably just me, y’all. I had just finished The Illuminae Files recently, and those are so
♠ TABI⁷ ♠
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This wasn't a terrible book, but it most certainly was a debut.

description

Why do I say that? Because while the concepts and writing and characters were interesting, clever, and a fresh retelling take on the classic I vaguely remember, it felt . . . unpolished. It was a fun read that certainly sucked me in, pleased at all the inspirational aspects from Jane Eyre, BUT it was also rushed, illogical in parts, and pushed the romance too quickly via a telling arc format.

description

The parts I enjoyed the most was the brill
Emily Duncan
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
JANE! EYRE! IN! SPACE!

and it is exactly that. Just as clever, just as heartfelt, just as romantic, with a stellar cast of characters and inventive world building. Just enough science fiction to make this an utterly delightful space romance.
Alexandra
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1018
I received an e-ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Review can also be found on *Milky Way of Books*

I couldn't be happier than getting the chance to review this lovely book! Knowing that Netgalley rarely grants requests to INT readers, I was very excited!
The book follows Stella, a young girl who is also a mechanic, a teacher and lives into a spaceship orbing around a frozen Earth.
There are also many spaceships orbiting around Earth and lots of the have manes that can either rem
k
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Plot - 4.5
Writing style - 4
Characters - 4
Romance - 4

In which a seventeen-year-old engineer applied at a private ship for a governess spot. There, she began developing romantic feelings with the captain who turns out to be her student's dashing older brother.

Plot - Truth be told, I am no genius about Jane Eyre. Of course, I've heard about the novel itself, even thought of giving it a shot. But alas, I never seem to bring myself to actually do it. Maybe someday.

Like I said, I rarely know a thing
Cori Reed
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Jane Eyre, so getting to read a retelling was a treat.

I do think this book hovers more around 3.5 star personally, but I really loved it and enjoyed my time reading it so much I had to bump it up.

This had all of the elements of Jane Eyre we know and love, but set aboard various space crafts. The twists and turns of the original story are all also present, and I just think Alexa Donne has done an awesome job with this one! Add it to your TBRs for May!
Melissa Stacy
The 2018 YA fantasy, "Brightly Burning," by Alexa Donne, is described as "Jane Eyre in space.” This novel was written, pitched, acquired, and published as a sci-fi retelling of Charlotte Brontë's 1847 masterpiece, "Jane Eyre."

I read this book because I enjoy Alexa Donne's AuthorTube videos, and I appreciate all of the useful information and optimism she puts out into the world. She also mentors teenagers who are trying to navigate the college admissions process, and I have nothing but good thin
*mk*
Feb 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Arc provided by Jess who is awesome!!

I really did try with this one, way more than I normally would have, because I love Jane Eyre. So, a book marketed as “Jane Eyre in space”? A little iffy, sure, but maybe there’s some potential?

Or maybe not. The biggest issue with the book was the writing style. At best I would call it amateurish and juvenile, with nothing really distinct about it. It reads as more of a fan fiction than a novel. The world building is spotty at best, and the characters are unm
K.
Trigger warnings: blood, death, alcohol abuse, plague, fire, death of a parent (in the past), (view spoiler).

16/12/2020
I stand by what I said last time - this is a solid retelling while also very much being its own story. But yeah, the ending is kind of abrupt.

10/8/2018
This is a YA retelling of Jane Eyre set in space. Of course I was going t
Jessica
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was really fun!

RTC closer to publication. Thanks NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC!
Ainslee || Jest and Hearts
May 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Alrighty, I have lots of thoughts about this book, there were lots of issues with it for me.
This book has so much potential, Sci-fi is a hard genre to write and to get right, and unfortunately this fell flat for me.

Brightly Burning is basically a mix of The 100 and Jane Eyre minus the cool things in the 100. Its pitched as Jane Eyre in space which is accurate its just Jane Eyre with all of the dress and customs of the 1800's in the future in space...

The Human race fled to space due to Earth bein
Monte Price
Dec 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Objectively this is probably closer to a 3 star. It's a fine read, but not one I really enjoyed.

Full disclosure I'm a big fan of Alexa Donne. I follow her YouTube channel, I think she gives great advice. As a person I'm a fan. It's not even that on a structural level I don't think this book works because I don't think the issues I have with this novel were ever going to be things that it was going to address. It's just not that kind of book.

Pitched as Jane Eyre in space Brightly Burning tells th
i.
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a delightful mixture of si-fy and romance. A strong-willed female character with a penchant for unrequited love and a mysterious but utterly attractive captain will certainly remind you of Jane Eyre. I didn't know how much I missed reading novels like this one until I started Brightly burning. A must-read for fans of both genres.

www.theleisurediaires.blogspot.com
Lenore .
I'm struggling to see the resemblance of this book to Jane Eyre. The MC is nothing like Jane - she hasn't come through as particularly smart thus far, and she lusts after guys every second sentence.
Guy #1 (the best friend):
He stepped into the classroom and, oh God, I could tell he was wet - just showered. [...] George nodded, then indicated I should come close. Yes, please.

Guy #2 (random engineering guy):
he was something nice to look at while I put in hard labor for the next few hours

Guy #1 agai
Lily Meade
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am obviously biased as this book is written by my dear friend and agent sister, but I was honored to receive an eARC from NetGalley and I’m glad I did.

I’d never read the original Jane Eyre, but Alexa’s version was plenty engaging on its own. I loved the atmosphere and the amazing tech of the Rochester. I was jealous of Stella a LOT throughout this book, LOL. And man did the tension ramp up. This book features the most intense game of poker I have ever read and that is well before the page turn
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

Brightly Burning was just straight up entertaining. The kind of book that draws you in, and you need to know what happens. Also, bits of it reminded me of The 100, and that's never a bad thing. It's apparently based on  Jane Eyre , which I am pretty sure I "read" in high school but I promise you I didn't actually read it. I actually remembered enough about the general idea thou

• Starflight (Starflight, #1)
  • The Savior's Champion (The Savior's Series, #1)
  • For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1)
  • Lost on a Mountain in Maine
  • The Way We Bared Our Souls
  • The Island
  • Sea of Sorrows (Guild Wars, #3)
  • Dogsong
  • When Night Breaks (Kingdom of Cards, #2)
  • The Stars Between Us
  • StarChaser (TodHunter Moon, #3)
  • PathFinder (TodHunter Moon, #1)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone (Tower of Winds, #1)
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
  • Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)
  • The Savior's Sister (The Savior's Series, #2)
  • Heart of Iron (Heart of Iron, #1)
  • King of Swords (Assassin #1)
See top shelves…

Articles featuring this book

The Brothers Grimm aren't the only source of major inspiration for young adult books. Some of the buzziest reinventions base their...
“Sometimes the loneliest you could be was surrounded by people who didn't understand you.” 10 likes
“Don't you want to know why I don't love Bianca?"
"Because you met her?" I said into the rough fabric of his coat, sure he couldn't hear me. He could, and he laughed.
"That's why I love you Stella. You have a good hear, but also a sharp tongue. The perfect combination.”
3 likes