Start by marking “The City of Lost Fortunes (Crescent City #1)” as Want to Read:
The City of Lost Fortunes (Crescent City #1)

The City of Lost Fortunes

(Crescent City #1)

The fate of New Orleans rests in the hands of a wayward grifter in this novel of gods, games, and monsters.

The post–Katrina New Orleans of The City of Lost Fortunes is a place haunted by its history and by the hurricane’s destruction, a place that is hoping to survive the rebuilding of its present long enough to ensure that it has a future. Street magician Jude Dubuisson
Published April 17th 2018 by John Joseph Adams/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about The City of Lost Fortunes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The City of Lost Fortunes

carol.
The City of Lost Fortunes has an intriguing premise. Set in New Orleans post-Katrina, it's about the son of a magician finding his way when the local magical authority needs a job done. There's a lot to enjoy, but it feels like a story that could use editing with an eye to overall pacing.

The writing is descriptive and evocative. The underlying premise of a card game with high stakes is intriguing. Camp seems to be a writer in love with writing, with crafting each sentence with an eye towards bui
megs_bookrack
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
***3.5-stars rounded up***

Wow. Okay, this one was a wild ride. I barely knew what was happening MOST of the time and I do mean that literally!

The City of Lost Fortunes is a beautifully written novel that seemed a bit like a mythology textbook on steroids. I went into this book somehow thinking it was YA magical realism? Not exactly sure where that idea came from because that is NOT what this is. I think I may have heard someone talking about it on Booktube and misunderstood the synopsis. That ou
Liz
The City of Lost Fortunes is one of those books that takes magic, mythology, folklore and culture and puts it together into a mix of mindblowing fantasy bubble. Fresh, quirky and highly engaging, The City of Lost Fortunes is fantasy on stimulants!

I did not at all expect to be taken on such an atmospheric, surreal, all-encompassing journey and I don’t think Jude was quite expecting it himself either.

Arcane symbols and geometries, ritual and craft and symmetry. Sacred spaces, messages, prayers, b
R.F. Kuang
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so much fun! I'm not usually one for this genre of murder mysteries, but I'm here for the encyclopedic command of world mythologies and the similarities to Neil Gaiman's American Gods. The worldbuilding is exquisite, the tension never lets up, and I could see any of the plot twists coming. Highly recommend!
Kelly
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was everything I wanted Anansi Boys to be, but better.

This book is the perfect mix of magical realism, myth, and witty word play. So clever it almost gave me a headache but I could NOT stop reading until I realized how everything would come together.
This is a coming of age story, but it's also a love letter to the city of New Orleans. It's about finding yourself, knowing what to let go of, and knowing what, or who to believe in. And then fighting like hell to keep it.

This is a story for
Rachel Pollock
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a placeholder for a longer review I will write at the end of the month when work stops being so busy. In a nutshell for now:

Full disclosure--I went to grad school w/the author & read an early draft in class. So I'm not a stranger to the story, but neither am I a gushing sycophant just because I know the guy. Grad school is about criticism, not blowing soap bubbles at one another's egos.

That said, I love this book. The pre-pub blurbs compare it to AMERICAN GODS which I get because th
Emilie Bee
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I devoured The City of Lost Fortunes in 2 days and am already thinking about reading it again. It's one of these books that you're sad to finish even if you can't help but rush through it.

10 days after I finished it, I'm still in withdrawal. I miss the evocative description of New Orleans (the streets, restaurants, atmosphere...). I miss the characters, their struggle to find who they are in a world they don't know the rules of. And I miss the intellectual pleasure of reading a book that well w
Joe Crowe
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
New Orleans is one of the most evocative cities in the world. It's a character itself, and the best stories that take place there take advantage of the mysticism, the culture, the crazy flair.

Author Bryan Camp began writing this story in the back seat of his parents' car as they were evacuating from Hurricane Katrina. My family and I were in New Orleans only a couple of weeks before Katrina hit. Of course, I do not understand the magnitude of the feelings of Camp, his family, or others who expe
Neile
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a joy to read. It's a gorgeous book--even the ARC, which I was lucky enough to be given at World Fantasy Convention. It's gorgeously written, though naturally so and just enough that as I read I kept realizing how much I was enjoying the descriptions, the language, the refrains that cast so many echoes throughout the story. The events and the New Orleans it takes place in are vivid. So are the characters, their flaws and their desires. It's also a ton of dark and fascinating fun.
Rebecca
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
I need more stars, this is a fantastic debut. Every aspect feels like it could be a lost American Gods novel, it shares the way Gaiman tends to weave a pile of myths into his stories, while having the setting with one foot firmly planted in the gutter of the real world, and the other foot in a realm of otherworldly.

Jude is a former New Orleans street magician, with an actual power to find lost things, in the six years since Katrina he's barely been able to use his power to keep afloat, because o
Blodeuedd Finland
How do I review this one without saying too much? That is always the tricky part. But I have to start somewhere, so let us start with:

New Orleans, it is just something about this city. And I can totally believe there is a magical battle going on. That the City if alive. That there are gods, loas, voodoo, angels and more running around. A magical melting pot. It never lets you down.

Jude is lucky. and he always finds missing things. He has no idea who his father was, except that it was a god. And
Minx -The Genre Minx Book Reviews
I am a fan of books steeped in magical realism and The City of Lost Fortunes was a delight to my imagination. Magic was a living, breathing thing in this New Orleans and through the alluring descriptions of the people, food, music, and history, the city took on an identity all its own. Also, just like the city, this story includes a multitude of religions and nationalities woven throughout and enveloped in the characters essence. Each character is unique and the role they play is truly a mystery ...more
Mithila
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: must-read
HMH books has not disappointed me in terms of awesome books published / to be published in 2018. This book is no exception.
I requested this book via NetGalley, because the blurb has references to magic (which I absolutely wish existed in reality). But after I received the eCopy of the book, I saw that it also had many references to the famous mythologies of the world. Each chapter starts with a paragraph, describing how various mythologies depict a certain emotion/situation in their own way, an
Portia Kapraun
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Absolutely loved it! After Katrina, demigod Jude has decided to lay low as his power of finding lost things has gone so haywire he is forced to seclude himself from most people. A fateful card game played with tricksters gods to become the Luck of New Orleans pulls Jude into a fight he wasn't ready for, and he is soon neck deep in a world he couldn't imagine and forced to push himself further than he ever thought possible. At each turn, Jude becomes less sure of who he can trust (these are trick ...more
Bryan Camp
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommended to Bryan by: https://www.bryancamp.com/
This is the best book I've ever written.
Angie Pfeiffer-Senft
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Let me paint you a picture. It's August 23rd, 2005 in Louisiana. The levees just broke, water begins a fast and furious pace to your homes, and everything surrounding you.

Your government has failed you. Rescue attempts, and basic amenities are hard to come by. Whether you want to or not, it's best to leave your house, and all the comforts of home to find safety.

As help comes, it is necessary to mark the houses that have been checked to see if anyone has been left behind. Even when the waters rec
Jamie Brackell
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full Review appears at Pop Culture Bandit

Conceived as an idea in the backseat of his parents’ car as they evacuated Hurricane Katrina, there is denying that Bryan Camp’s debut novel “The City of Lost Fortunes” is a very personal tale for the author. Even with the inclusion of fantastical elements such as gods, vampires and magic; the central theme is on the destruction and loss that occurred in New Orleans during 2005, and how the community has attempted to rebuild itself in the aftermath. Speak
Josie Jaffrey
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: vicky-s-reviews
I loved the set-up of the story in this novel. Jude is an arrogant yet charming part-magical being with a talent for finding lost things, and not just locating lost items, but he also has the power to ‘see’ lost futures and lost opportunities, something I found really thought-provoking. I liked the early dynamic between Regal, a smart mouthed magician who seemed to be permanently angry at the world, and Jude, and I thought that the set up of the murder at the poker game of gods was unusual and i ...more
Summer Fazzone
Release date: April 17, 2018
My rating: 5/5⭐
————
Synopsis:

I recently finished an ARC copy of City of Lost Fortunes ( thank you, Netgalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) and the following is my honest review.

Jude Dubuisson has been lying low ever since Katrina hit his home of Ne
Heather
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK… my people, this book is what urban fantasy is all about. City of Lost Fortunes follows Jude, whose uncanny gift for finding lost things gets him tangled up in a high stakes game played by the gods. I definitely recommend people keep a watch out for this book, set to release April 17. It’s Bryan Camp’s debut novel as well, which means I am gonna be keeping an eye out for whatever he has coming next.

Something I can’t gush enough about is how perfectly the urban part of urban fantasy is
Amethyst Shadow
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I just love Jude!
Karissa
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I got this book through the Amazon Vine program to review. This was an interesting read. It started out pretty slow for me. The writing style really wasn't my thing; lots of run on sentences and ambiguous starts to chapters.

However, as I continued to read I found the whole idea of Gods of different religions (different Tricksters) coming together interesting. I also enjoyed how the poker game and tarot cards played into the whole story.

The style of the story reminds a bit of Sandman Slim by Ri
Drew
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-6
6 out of 5.

This book is everything I want to write, it's everything I want to read, it's just a delight. New Orleans blood runs in my veins and it was a joy to see the city not as it has so often been portrayed but as the city it spiritually wants to be. A city of light and dark, good and bad, shiny things and their rough undersides -- a city of Lost Fortunes, yes. A city where gods walk with mortals, where main characters have their gender pronoun swapped for a chunk of the book, where a little
Eden Butler
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star-reads
Beyond wonderful.
Gaele
AudioBook Review
Stars: Overall: 3 Narration 4 Story 3

A post-Katrina speculative story that takes the story of Jude -born and raised in the city and a street magician, and his stepping into the ‘breach’ when the local magical authority needs his help after the devastation from Katrina. The story starts each chapter with a creation story or mythology that draws parallels from the present-day events to those myths: scenes and connections resonate through the chapters, adding a new perspective to v
Jean
Apr 20, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
DNF @ 25%

I had high expectations for this book because I saw the blurb when it was sold in a preempt 2 years ago, but I guess that is the typical formula for an impending huge disappointment.

I went into this expecting great elements of fantasy but they ended up being so quiet I wasn’t even certain they existed until words like “vampire,” “zombie,” or “gods” popped up. If this was a magical realism book, well great, because I love those too, but unfortunately, the plot and characters were just to
Rati Mehrotra
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this was a fantastic book: a lovingly crafted homage to post-Katrina New Orleans, a murder mystery, a voyage of self-discovery, a glorious mash of myths, gods and monsters, and so much more. Highly recommended.
Chelly
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Clay
Not my usual genre, but this NOLA urban fantasy is an entertaining, tender love letter to pre- and post-Katrina New Orleans. Jude Dubussion, busking finder of lost things and caretaker of the most useful magical satchel in literature, is drawn into a mysterious, high-stakes card game that takes him, literally, to hell and back. On the way he seeks, among other things, to identify his demi-god father and most important to find the most lost thing of all: himself. An unusual surprise. Recommended.
Barb Lie
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
The City of Lost Fortunes by Bryan Camp is a fantasy/urban fantasy standalone novel. I had mixed feelings about this book, which I will go into more in my review. The City of Lost Fortunes takes place in post Katrina New Orleans, and revolves around our hero, Jude Dubuisson, who is a street magician with the ability to find lost things. Jude has laid low since Katrina, which was 6 years ago, but now the Fortune god, whom he owes a debt, is calling him back to meet.

Jude ends up in a card game wit
  • Rivers of London Vol. 1: Body Work
  • Bazaar Style: Decorating with Market and Vintage Finds
  • Nan Goldin
  • The Night Dahlia (Nightwise, #2)
  • Suomesta, rakkaudella / From Finland with Love
  • Yarn Bombing: The Art of Crochet and Knit Graffiti
  • Prague in Black and Gold: Scenes from the Life of a European City
  • Shadowboxer
  • The Glass God (Magicals Anonymous, #2)
  • The War in the Dark
  • Photos That Changed the World
  • The Door into Sunset (Tale of the Five, #3)
  • Good Guys
  • Children's Picturebooks: The Art of Visual Storytelling
  • Little Bird
  • The Great Mortdecai Moustache Mystery
  • Lapsenpiika (Syrjästäkatsojan tarinoita #2)
  • Sunset Mantle

Crescent City (2 books)
  • Gather the Fortunes (Crescent City, #2)
“Power always had a price, and the fine print never included a generous return policy.” 0 likes
“Who you gotta worship around here to get a drink?” Jude asked.” 0 likes