Start by marking “Gilt by Association (Den of Antiquity, #2)” as Want to Read:
Gilt by Association (Den of Antiquity, #2)

Gilt by Association (Den of Antiquity #2)

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  437 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
It’s a nightmare in shining armoire…

Petite, indomitable North Carolinian Abigail Timberlake rose gloriously up from the ashes of divorce—parlaying her savvy about exquisite old things into a thriving antiques enterprise: the Den of Antiquity. Now she’s a force to be reckoned with in Charlotte’s close-knit world of mavens, eccentrics and cuttthroat dealers. But a superb, gi
Published December 1st 1996 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Gilt by Association, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gilt by Association

The Badger
Sep 01, 2014 rated it liked it
I have an affinity for cozy mysteries. They generally aren't written in pursuit of a spot on the bestseller list; rather, cozies are written to give the reader a sense of comfort and calm (ironically, by way of murder).

My mom read cozies to escape her three eccentric young daughters and grumpy husband: one daughter, the artist, painted five-foot tall green flowers on the side of the freshly painted rental when she was four; the adventurous daughter asked which way north was, and was found by ne
Donna
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
In North Carolina, Abigail Timberlake owns and operates an antique store, Den of Antiquity. She buys several items from an estate auction and finds a dead body in one piece of the furniture after it's delivered. She's questioned and her entire shop is impounded. Even though she has an on-off relationship with a detective, she feels the police aren't going to be in any hurry to solve the crime and Christmas is her busiest time of the year. So she starts to interview every member of the family rel ...more
Donna
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2012, pulse
Book 2 in the Den of Antiquity series. Overall, I found it to be an entertaining story although the ending felt a little abrupt. Compared to the1st book in this series, Abby is less sarcastic, there is more humour, and the story is more focused on the mystery rather than providing background information on Abby's family and colleagues. There is the requisite number of dead bodies and quirky characters to keep the plot moving along, some information about antiques, and references to southern hosp ...more
Bea
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Abigail Timberlake lives in Charlotte, NC. She owns an antique furniture store and has just received four pieces of Louis XV furniture that she won at auction. Imagine her dismay to find a dead body in the armoire! Since the local cops shut her store as the sight of a crime during the Christmas season, she feels she has to help solve the crime or her store will be closed a long time. And, so begins the efforts of this Southern amateur sleuth to find out who killed Arnold Ramsey.

The writer, Tama
VJ
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Snicker, snicker. This author seems to not think highly of Ohio either. I know most Southern born and bred people resent the Yankees to this day. As a Michigander, I just find it hilarious that most of the obnoxious Yanks described in Southern set novels are either from New York, New Jersey, or Ohio.

Later on, a Michigan man is cheating on his wife. Not exactly morally upright, but not necessarily rude.

Finished the book. There were several laugh worthy and witty lines in the book. I enjoyed this
Ed
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
#2 in the Den of Antiquity series. This 1996 cozy follow on the heels of prolific author Myers' 1996 series debut Larceny and Old Lace (1996).

Den of Antiquity series - Abigail Timberlake buys some Louis XV pieces at an estate sale but when they are delivered there is a body in the armoire. The Charlotte PD has her shop behind crime scene tape during the Christmas shopping season, so Abby resolves to solve the case and reopen her store. She begins by interviewing the members of the dysfunctional
Tammy
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, mystery-cozy
Abby's antique store is finally starting to make a profit and her life is settling down after her divorce and her aunt's murder. Then she purchases a set of antique furniture from an estate sale and goes to inspect it the next morning, only to find a dead body inside the armoir. Abby is worried about how this will affect the reputation of her shop and the police are moving too slow, so she decides to help them out and find some clues on her own.
Teri
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
I found this book at the library and thought I'd give it a try. There were some weird editing mistakes and profanity (including the "f-word") peppered the dialogue throughout the whole book.

Another Goodreads member reviewed this story and they explained it as being like cotton candy (with lots of fluff and very little substance). I think that's a very accurate description, and perhaps I'd say that it's cotton candy from a very second-rate fair.
Catrina
Mar 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Overall, this was a good book. There were times I couldn't put it down, but also times I wanted to skip a few pages. It kept me guessing and had enough twists to keep it interesting. I plan to read some of the other books in this series, because I really enjoyed the writing style, and the plot was very original.
Terri
Apr 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Another re-read. This one did not get any better with a 2nd read. Written in the 1st person, Abagail Timberlake just is too cute. At least she thinks she is. It would be a better read if the cute/sarcastic/funny remarks were toned down a bit. Instead of liking the woman, I found myself thinking she was just egotistical and while she's almost likeable, she just doesn't make it.
Sandra Strange
Jul 01, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mysteries
sometimes I like Tamar Myers, but sometimes I don't. This one's a don't. It just didn't seem very well written, with stereotypical and predictable characters, dialogue and action. Abigail Timberlake's Den of Antiquity should be interesting because antiques can be, but not this one. a potboiler?
Marie
Feb 22, 2012 rated it liked it
This was better than the first in the series, particularly as regards the editing (which matters a lot to me). I will read the third and see if it improves enough to make the entire series worthwhile.
Mary Schildman
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extra twists

"Larceny and Old Lace" was a bit better, but still love all the characters. I think the ending left a few unanswered questions but might find them in the next book. Still a good story.
Lisa
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Funny cozy mystery novel.
Cindy
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: tamar-myers
Bodies in a closet, crazy friends and customers and a southern belle in need of a sedative. Yep! This series has it all! Can't wait to read the nest in line.
Laurel
Jun 03, 2009 added it
smart writer, smart reader, tongue-in-cheek humor, lots of punning
Linda
Apr 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge
Good entry in the series. At times a few too many characters to keep track of.
Nicole
Nov 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Funny but not as good as the first one - will continue the series though
AlienDog
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Not as good as some of her other books, but interesting anyhow. The ending was pretty lame.
Debbie
Jun 26, 2016 added it
This is just a plain fun series.
Vera
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
I like this series, but the later ones are better in my opinion. I enjoyed this though.
Christine
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Main character, Abby, never endeared me. The plot is ok. Copyright was 2007 so why doesn't anyone have a cell phone? Just overall a weak book.
Elise
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
A fun read, but a book of no substance of any kind whatsoever. Kind of reminds me of cotten candy.
Allie
Oct 18, 2011
Mary  (Biblophile)
rated it it was ok
May 03, 2009
  • Murder in Volume (Megan Clark, #1)
  • Antiques Maul (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #2)
  • Who Killed the Queen of Clubs? (Thoroughly Southern, #7)
  • Murder Uncorked (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Too Many Cooks (Angie Amalfi, #2)
  • Till Death Do Us Purl (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, #4)
  • Simon Said (Professor Simon Shaw, #1)
  • Hula Done It? (Passport to Peril, #4)
  • Chow Down (Melanie Travis, #13)
  • Design For Murder (Death On Demand, #2)
  • You Better Knot Die (Crochet Mystery, #5)
  • A Deadly Yarn (A Knitting Mystery, #3)
  • Uncatalogued (A Booklover's Mystery, #6)
  • Murderous Matrimony (A Renaissance Faire Mystery #6)
  • A Deadly Cliché (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #2)
  • Silence of the Hams (Jane Jeffry, #7)
Tamar Myers was born and raised in the Belgian Congo (now just the Congo). Her parents were missionaries to a tribe which, at that time, were known as headhunters and used human skulls for drinking cups. Hers was the first white family ever to peacefully coexist with the tribe, and Tamar grew up fluent in the local trade language. Because of her pale blue eyes, Tamar’s nickname was Ugly Eyes.

Tamar
More about Tamar Myers...

Den of Antiquity (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Larceny and Old Lace (Den of Antiquity, #1)
  • The Ming and I (Den of Antiquity, #3)
  • So Faux, So Good (Den of Antiquity, #4)
  • Baroque and Desperate (Den of Antiquity, #5)
  • Estate of Mind (Den of Antiquity, #6)
  • A Penny Urned (Den of Antiquity, #7)
  • Nightmare in Shining Armor (Den of Antiquity, #8)
  • Splendor in the Glass (Den of Antiquity, #9)
  • Tiles and Tribulations (Den of Antiquity Mystery, #10)
  • Statue of Limitations (Den of Antiquity, #11)