Start by marking “Hell Hath No Curry (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #15)” as Want to Read:
Hell Hath No Curry (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #15)

Hell Hath No Curry

(Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery #15)

Three days before he's due to tie the knot with Priscilla Livengood, eligible bachelor Cornelious Weaver suffers a massive heart attack-in another woman's bed. The scandal is about as good as television for the insular citizens of Hernia, Pennsylvania, and it gets even spicier when the coroner's report reveals possible foul play: Cornelious's curry was spiked with a stimul ...more
Published February 6th 2007 by NAL Hardcover (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Hell Hath No Curry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hell Hath No Curry

Chana
This was terrible. A series of one liners, many in bad taste. It was a total waste of time.
Mennonite hotel owner, amateur detective, is trying to find out who killed a rich playboy in the community. This setting means nothing, story-wise, it is just the set up for pages of slapstick.
I guess other people like this, for me, no. To quote the book out of context, "Vhat is dis? Haufa mischt!" The recipes actually look pretty good. She could have written a cookbook instead.
Kristen
Dec 28, 2008 rated it liked it
If you love enjoyable cozies to read, this one's right for you. It came with Amish-Mennonite recipes too for your own pleasure too. In the 15th installment, Magdalena's got a full plate with planning her wedding to Gabe, and as mayor of Hernia. There's been a couple of new changes in Hernia, when she's on a case of another murder in her inn and there's more than one suspect out there. We're welcomed into her Mennonite world and her feelings of marrying Gabe, who's Jewish, and how there's a coupl ...more
Irenic
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's funny--I'm not crazy about Myers' other mystery [Den of Antiquity] series, but with the Pennsylvania Dutch series, she can do no wrong. I never get tired of Magdalena's smart mouth or Freni's equally funny view of the world. I could do without the Ida charactor, and Madalena's pseudo daughter [her ex-Babester's actual daughter] charactor doesn't really come off like any teenage girl I've ever known. Up until now I only knew I liked curry-based sauces; now I know how they're made. Most of th ...more
Kate
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
This series started out pretty well, but it has gone haywire. There are plenty of repeating lines, the plot is nuts at times, and the characters, save Freni, are fairly annoying. I had anticipated finishing this series but I’m not sure I will bother.

Also, this book is full of curry recipes. Set in India? No. Indian characters? No. Characters keen on curry? Ummmm. I didn’t get it. It was weird.
Gloria
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hernia's eligible bachelor is dead. He was having sex with the new police chief when his heart condition caught up with him....... until a blood panel was done and he was discovered to have been drugged.

Since the chief was with him..... the Lieutenant asked Magdalena to see about some good Public Relations for the shocked chief. Magdalena agrees, until the results of the blood panel came back.... and then she started investigating Cornelius' murder.

She begins with all those women Cornelius eith
Traci
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
It took me FOREVER to finish reading because Magadelena is not a really likeable character. There was a lot of funny parts in the book but Magadelena can be self absorbed and self righteous at times. I got tired of reading about her good Christian underwear.

Cornelius is the to playboy of Hernia, PA. Three days before he was going to become an honest man, he was killed while doing the mattress tango. As the mayor of Hernia, Magadelena sets out to discover the murderer.

She needs to find the kille
Emily Cullen
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hernia, PA's most eligible bachelor is getting married in three days when he dies of a heart attack...in another woman's bed. An autopsy reveals it was murder and innkeeper, Mennonite and part time detective Magdalena Yoder investigates and finds out that Cornelius Weaver had a lot of lovers which makes for a lot of suspects! I love the "Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery" cozy series. Magdalena is a "hoot" (a reference for those who have read the series) and there's a great and funny supporting cast. I ...more
Val
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Magdalena the local innkeeper in this fascinating Amish/Mennonite series is once again embroiled in the solving of a murder. The local eligible bachelor suffers a massive heart attack whilst in the bed of a woman, other than his fiancee. It turns out the curry he had eaten had been spiked. As Magdalena investigates she discovers the man has more than five women on the go, that he has promised marriage. A woman scorned?......
Rebecca
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Again, Magdalena has kept me laughing! I just don't get tired of this series, even when "binge reading."

One of my favorite things about this particular book is the inclusion of good, basic Indian recipes. This is a new area of cooking for me to explore, so the more simple, go-to dishes I have on hand, the happier I'm going to be!
Rose
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This was my second Pennsylvania Dutch mystery, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first. This mystery seemed to take too long to come to a conclusion, and Magadalena Yoder becomes tiresome. This first-person narrator is not nearly as clever with words as she thinks she is.
Sharon Hardison
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love all of Tamar's stories

Always an interesting mystery with familiar characters and a sassy main character. Ms. Myers weave a wonderful page-turning story every time.
Drebbles
Jan 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007
Even though he's engaged to Priscilla Livengood, Cornelius Weaver has quite a way with women. In fact, when he dies after eating poisoned curry there are a number of suspects, all women who at one time or another had an affair with Cornelius. Police Chief Olivia Hornsby-Anderson can't investigate the case because she was with Cornelius when he died so she asks Magdalena Yoder to investigate. Mags agrees and soon finds out that Cornelius was a busy man - besides Priscilla and Olivia he was having ...more
Karol
Sep 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is the title that first grabbed my attention and sparked my interest in the series - loving a good play on words as I do. Now, after reading the first 14 in the series, I've finally read this one!

"Hell Hath No Curry" ranks as one of my favorites in the series. There were moments of laugh-out-loud humor (especially - SPOILER - the "singing rat" at the Sausage Barn). There was still adolescent humor that I didn't find all that funny, though.

I have enjoyed Magdalena more as she has gained some
Marie
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Marie by: Mom
With a winning blend of humor, mystery, and recipes, national bestselling author Tamar Myers has created a uniquely flavorful series. In her latest, Mennonite innkeeper Magdalena Yoder finds that a jam- or perhaps chutney- of small town love and cheating can lead to one vindictive vindaloo...

Three days before he's due to tie the knot with Priscilla Livingood, eligible bachelor Cornelius Weaver suffers a massive heart attack--in another woman's bed. The scandal is about as good as television for
Rena Sherwood
Tamar Myers should have stopped the series at 14. Without a certain major character from the first 14 books, there is no real conflict. And what is a story without conflict?

description

Also, Meyers seems to be just phoning this in. She and her narrator protagonist get downright nasty as opposed to funny or even sarcastic. In the book's front matter, there is a rude note from Myers asking that fans please stop sending her title suggestions because "they're really not very funny." And Hell Hath No Curry is fu
Sally
Sep 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ditched
Hell might hath no curry but I've got no thyme to continue this story. The constant attempts at witticism and sarcasm and too numerous mentions of Magdalena's beauty wore thin by page 132.

Don't get me wrong, I like wit and sarcasm but too much of a good thing. . . I selected this book due to the title, erroneously assuming it had much to do with the Pennsylvania Dutch people and lifestyle with recipes thrown in. What I got was the impression the Amish and Mennonite are morally depraved - somet
Amelia
Aug 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
There were a few recipes scattered throughout the book but it didn't seem to go along well the story. When the main character Magdalena talks, she seem to go off topic. It is her personality and amplifies it but gets irritating as it seems like a filler. I wanted to know how she solved the mystery so I kept on reading and skipped a lot of her chatter.
Sarah Hearn
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it
At first, I enjoyed the humourous turn of phrase used by the main character, Mennonite Magdalena Yoder, but it did begin to wear thin by the end of the book. Still, it's a good story even if I did feel a bit like I came into the middle of a conversation because so much about the characters seems to be required.
Estella
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I really, really wanted to like this book...but I didn't. It seemed to me that the author was focused more on delivering "one-liners" than on a good cozy mystery plot. I do enjoy humor, but this, in my opinion, went 'way over the top. I had purchased several other books in the series and stockpiled them to read later, but I think I'll be selling them on ebay. Oh, well...
Susan Baumgartner
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Tamar Myers just makes me laugh. It's so corny, but it's so fun. And the recipes are always intriguing. I might give it 3.5 stars just because this IS book #15 and it's kind of getting old, but hey.
Jacqui Ainsworth
Aug 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fluffy mystery fans
Recommended to Jacqui by: my mom
Shelves: mystery
I really enjoy this series. I can't help but think if I was the babester I would be so gone! I like that she is accepting herself as attractive but it was a bit of overkill. This is my favorite series of the genre and I like each one better then the last.
grundoon
It's as if she's re-approaching the series with a critical eye, remaining faithful to every detail which has come before, while tweaking and reshaping. I wholeheartedly approve. Throw-away silliness though it always shall be, it's becoming better, more enjoyable silliness.
Lauren
Aug 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Too hard to read - I got do tired of the main characters self crap and whining and wailing. The only reason I kept reading it was because I kept hoping it would pick up. In the end, it was like pulling teeth for me.
Vicki Krivak
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
It seems with every Magdelena novel, she gets sillier and the dialogue gets more ridiculous. The series
is beginning to seem slightly "off". It took me forever to finish this book (and it wasn't that many pages)
as I just couldn't get into it or stay interested in it.
Harvee
Jul 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I'm really enjoying this cozy mystery although I keep interrupting my reading with other books~
Kat Chan
Nov 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Nauseating. I find this protagonist to be the anti-thesis of everything I admire in a sleuth. She is mentally clumsy, small-minded, and ridiculously unaware.
Michelle
Nov 26, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
This is a very silly mystery set in a Mennonite and Amish community.
Shandygirl
Mar 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Such bad puns and poor writing, I hardly got past 10 pages.
Kathy
Feb 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My sister-in-law suggested this author. I just finished the sample from Kindle and I think I'll enjoy this quirky style. Thanks, MH.
Michelle
Mar 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2008
Magdalena finds out she's beautiful! Bizarre, but still funny after umpteen books. The mysteries are getting odd though.

• Auntie Mayhem (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #9)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • Peppermint Twisted (A Candy Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Truffled Feathers (A  Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Calories (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #3)
  • The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders (Eugenia Potter, #4)
  • Mulch Ado About Nothing (Jane Jeffry, #12)
  • The Da Vinci Cook (Angie Amalfi, #14)
Tamar Myers was born and raised in the Belgian Congo (now just the Congo). Her parents were missionaries to a tribe which, at that time, were known as headhunters and used human skulls for drinking cups. Hers was the first white family ever to peacefully coexist with the tribe, and Tamar grew up fluent in the local trade language. Because of her pale blue eyes, Tamar’s nickname was Ugly Eyes.

Tamar

Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #1)
  • Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Crime (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #2)
  • No Use Dying Over Spilled Milk (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #3)
  • Just Plain Pickled to Death (Pennsylvania Dutch, #4)
  • Between a Wok and a Hard Place (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #5)
  • Eat, Drink, and Be Wary (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #6)
  • Play It Again, Spam (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #7)
  • The Hand That Rocks the Ladle (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #8)
  • The Crepes of Wrath (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #9)
  • Gruel and Unusual Punishment (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #10)