Start by marking “The Brink of Darkness (The Edge of Everything, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Brink of Darkness (The Edge of Everything, #2)

The Brink of Darkness

(The Edge of Everything #2)

Things have changed for seventeen-year-old Zoe ever since the otherworldly events that brought her together with the mysterious bounty hunter she calls X. In order to save Zoe and her family, X has done the unthinkable - he's given up his freedom and returned to captivity in the Lowlands.

X is determined to break the lords' hold on him once and for all, but being stripped o
Published July 10th 2018 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

Start your review of The Brink of Darkness (The Edge of Everything, #2)
Stacee
I had read the first book in this series and couldn’t wait to get my hands on this one.

I love love love Zoe and X. She’s smart and sassy and he’s just so good and loyal. Together they are adorable and it sweet to see them react to each other. Of course Val and Dallas are fun and I could have had a million more scenes with Ripper and it wouldn’t have been enough. There are a few new characters who were fantastic, but I’ll let you find those.

Plot wise, it was not at all what I expected. I was ca
Laurie
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was curious to find out if author Giles could keep up the awesomeness, cinematic adventure and LOL humor of THE EDGE OF EVERYTHING in his sequel, THE BRINK OF DARKNESS (my god, I love that title). In answer - he can. In spades. He hits the ground running with one of the best (supernaturally swoony) YA prologues I've ever read (I really like authors who don't make me wait for the kissing). One of the things I love most about this author's writing is his talent for quickly establishing so many v ...more
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Edge of Everything series continues where we left off… X, the bounty hunter 17-year-old Zoe fell in love with, has given up his freedom and returned to the Lowlands in order to save Zoe and her family. Stripped of his powers, X is determined to break the lords’ hold on him and learn about his past. Those secrets could be the key to reuniting X and Zoe… or they could mean the destruction of everything they have been fighting for.

The short re
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
3.5 Stars

I had been anticipating The Brink of Darkness by Jeff Giles since I finished The Edge of Everything, and this instalment is definitely more X-centric. I enjoyed the setting and the main characters, but I was disappointed with the slow pacing. The book was still enjoyable, however, I wish I could have enjoyed it as much as I had been hoping.

full review on The Candid Cover
Kayla
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Previous books in the series:

The Edge of Everything - ⭐️⭐️⭐️

I got sent this book in exchange for a honest review, all my opinions are my own and thank you so much to the publishers for sending me this book!

So I read the first installment last year when it came out and I liked it. I didn't love it but I really enjoyed the plot.
This is set a short period of time after the events of the first novel following the love story of X and Zoe.

When it comes to plot, the first book was much more action pack
S.M. Parker
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I made no secret of my love for Zoe and X and their between-two-worlds romance after reading The Edge of Everything and I couldn't wait to get my hands on this ARC. Mwhahaha! Welp. It was phenomenal. Ripper made a big showing in this book (as do so many strong girls and women), which made me happy happy, but we also get to meet some new characters who are pretty kick ass and help to solidify X's story line. I was enchanted, as always, with the unique depiction of hell and its inhabitants and rul ...more
Angela Cuéllar
pooled ink Reviews:
4.5 Stars

OMG I LOVED IT. MY HEART IS SO FULL AND HAPPY.

The Brink of Darkness takes a nightmarish hell that nevertheless manages to warm the heart and thrill the soul. A fantastic sequel, this book brings X's tale to new heights that will have you riveted to your seat, biting your nails in anticipation, and hugging the book tightly to your chest with a sweet sigh when finished. Beautifully shared, humor, charm, and horror bleed through these pages as an innocent bounty hun
Jessica
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youngadult, fantasy, own
Very satisfying ending, which is unusual for a duology! Could he do more? Of course! And I would read them, yes indeed! But that aside, this was a wonderful continuation/conclusion of the fascinating story that started in the Edge of Everything! Love the characters, especially X and Ripper, but also Zoe and Rufus and new addition, Tim. There's plenty of romance, laughter, but also action, suspense, and a healthy dose of heartbreak to keep the stakes high. The Lowlands is a fabulous, fascinating ...more
Bridget Hodder
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, magic
A beautiful, darkly satisfying jewel of a novel. A continuation of the story of Zoe and X from "The Edge of Everything", "The Brink of Darkness" takes us to grim and tortured places... but it shines with emotion and surprises with lightning-strikes of smart humor that can unexpectedly make you laugh out loud. The story is a moving exploration of themes of love, family, friendship and redemption. For the best experience, I recommend reading both books back-to-back!

*I received an advance copy of
Heather
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"You don't believe you're going to get out of here."
"I want it far too much to believe it."

Um yeah this is amazing. Just as charming and mysterious and imaginative and romantic and creepy as the first book, with possibly MORE laughs, heart, and witty dialogue than the first. (The Russian! omg.) The lovely, lovely sentiments of finding humanity in broken people and in pits of despair, and people overcoming their darkness is just so...healing. A good book for our times.

This is going on a treasured
Peternelle
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the first book in this duology, THE EDGE OF EVERYTHING, and THE BRINK OF DARKNESS fulfills the promise of that book and more. Zoe and X become only more compelling in this novel, and Giles manages to deepen their love story while also filling the pages with action, suspense, and a cast of brilliantly conceived secondary characters who add wonderful texture and meaning. Aside from being page-turning and satisfying and entertaining, the novel also has beautiful things to say about love and ...more
Tricia Levenseller
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Humorous and original, THE BRINK OF DARKNESS is action packed with characters it is so easy to care about. I really enjoyed the Lowlands. It's such a unique setting—a fascinating depiction of hell. I'm amazed at how the book can have such dark themes and scenes, while still being full of hope. Reading Giles' work is so effortless. The pacing just sweeps you along, and this duology has some of the best dialogue I've ever read. I can't wait to see what Giles writes next!
Emily
DNF @ 21%

I think I just lost interest for this series, but this is not a bad book in any sense at all, hence why I have not rated it with any stars. I just don’t think that reading this right now is worth my time.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with the e-ARC.
Melanie
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading the final chapters in X and Zoe's story! What a vibrant, terrifying, and exhilarating ride! If you missed The Edge of Everything, grab it now and read it before this eagerly-awaited sequel arrives. Though this series is unlike anything else out there, I highly recommend it for fans of Divergent and other high-stakes fantasy worlds.
Madison
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Brink of Darkness is the sequel to the amazing and thrilling The Edge of Everything. As divine as it is horrid, as funny as it is touching and sad, as sweet as it is rough around the edges, The Brink of Darkness is a stunningly crafted - wild, thrilling and beautiful.

The Brink of Darkness continues the story of Zoe, a young human teenager whose life has been thrown into chaos after meeting X, a boy raised in the Lowlands, the only living person amongst thousands of damned souls. In
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*ARC provided by Bloomsbury in exchange for an honest review*
Noooooooo. I hate that I have finished this book. I never wanted to reach the last page!! I've been putting it off for so long just so I wouldn't have to but I caved since I missed X and Zoe too much.
Jeff quickly became one of my favorite authors with The Edge of Everything but he has permanently cemented his place on my auto-buy list with this book!
My favorite thing about Jeff's books so far is the dialogue. Jeff has the funniest mos
Samsnerdylife
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just like the first book, I could hardly set this book down! Excellent world building, characters, plot, it is just everything I love in a book! Enough dark twistedness with a uniquely imaginative world that is traversed by loveable characters be they main characters or side characters and an epic romance that had me sitting on the edge of my seat until the very end!

I truly hope this author writes another book/series bc his writing is simply fantastic!
Kathleen Minde
I was one of those lucky dogs who received an ARC of The Edge of Darkness, the first book in this duology, and I absolutely fell in love with the characters, the story, the crackling wit and, best of all, the dialogue. This final book, The Brink of Darkness, is just as engaging, funny, sweet, sad, and cry-yourself-ugly as the first. Seriously, my eyes were swollen and my nose was running by the final page.

It's that good.

BOD begins not long after the end of EOD: X is damned to Hell, no longer a b
Ruth Lehrer
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-lit
THE BRINK OF DARKNESS by Jeff Giles, the sequel to An Edge of Everything, narrates a trip through hell lightened with moments of humor and love. Giles continues his tradition of strong women characters who fight injustice and battle for those they love, even if it means risking everything. Whether they have superpowers or not, Zoe, Ripper, Sylvie, Maudlin dominate a story where you would have thought a soul-hunter from the Lowlands would be the star. The visual language gives a cinematic experie ...more
Jen
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2018
ARC provided by the publisher, Bloomsbury, via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

A solid 3.5/5 stars for The Brink of Darkness. I genuinely liked this book, and had a fantastic time reading it. It was a quick read and the storyline was great! I did have a few minor issues with it, but for me it didn't take away from the story that much. The Brink of Darkness picks up pretty much right where The Edge of Everything leaves off, so we aren't left wondering too long about our main characters
Ioanna
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

X and Zoe live worlds apart. That is not an exaggeration. X is a prisoner of the Lowlands for the rest of his existence. Zoe lives a normal life in Montana. But neither of them is happy as long as they aren't together. And this time, X has a plan. And it is not a very solid one.

Having been born in the equivalent of what we call hell to a dead mother and a living father, must find a way out of ther
P.M.
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a satisfying ending which wrapped up the story. I liked the Ukrainian, Ripper, and Tree but I don't think I would rush to recommend it to someone. It was one of those OK books.
Jenny
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2020

A great conclusion to this duology! I loved it!
Ampersand Inc.
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: evette-s-reads
I loved this book just as much as the first one! I was immersed in their underworld and enjoyed their daring journey to escape.
Jonah Lisa
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book 2 is everything Book 1 was but MORE. More Zoe & X, more amazing secondary characters, more high stakes action, more danger, more deep thematics, more pithy dialogue, more dark humor, and more LOWLANDS! The world creation is truly brilliant, like a delicious mash-up of Dante's Inferno and a disturbing Hieronymus Bosch painting. It made me stay up late, turn pages frantically and read exciting passages out loud. What more can you ask?! Highly recommend. ...more
Amy Giles
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If there is such thing as a perfect ending to a series you wish would never end, this was it. I had forgotten how much I loved Giles’s characters. Zoe, X, Ripper, Dallas, Val…and some new ones: Plum, Maud, and my favorite, The Ukrainian. This book is empowering, dark, thrilling, and hilarious. Rarely do books make me laugh out loud, repeatedly, like his do. I'm sad to say goodbye, but it was an amazing ride and The Brink of Darkness is the perfect sendoff.
Monica Tesler
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved The Edge of Everything, and the second title did not disappoint! The Brink of Darkness has everything I loved in the first book--steamy Zoe & X romance, fantastically hellish world building, captivating cast of secondary characters--all written with Giles signature humor and nods to the YA canon. Hoping for a third! ...more
Wendy
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Darkly gripping “The Brink of Darkness” opens as bounty hunter X struggles to break the lords’ hold over his life after forfeiting his freedom to protect Zoe and her family only to hunt Ripper who’s searching for her children’s graves, and to look for his mother, his only clues – a comb, bracelet with the name Vesuvius- given to him by the Regent.

Meanwhile in the Overworld Zoe Bissell longing for X, searches for his father only to confront Dervish’s evil and follow him through a portal into the
Alexandra
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
This book was sent to me by the publisher, Bloomsbury, at no cost. It came out in August; $16.99.

I read the first book in this series, The Edge of Everything and according to my review I largely enjoyed it - I have to say I'd mostly forgotten the book by the time the sequel arrived. If you liked the first one you're likely to enjoy this one, I think. If you're not sure, then I have one word for you:

MELODRAMA.

Everything is DIRE and potentially life-altering and epic. X has gone; oh no! My friends
Kasey Giard
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
So many great lines! Pretty much any section told from Zoe’s point-of-view is packed with fantastic side comments and banter between her and her friends. X’s sections aren’t quite as peppery, but I loved the Ukrainian for all his snarky one liners.

So much heart. The Brink of Darkness is, above all else, a story about true love. Both the love between X and Zoe and love of family—birth family, and family you make for yourself.

I struggled with the amount of violence portrayed in this book. Some sce
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Center of the Universe
  • Infinity (The Infinity Division, #1)
  • Alpha (The Infinity Division, #3)
  • Omega (The Infinity Division, #2)
  • Crush (Crave, #2)
  • Rules of Summer (Rules of Summer, #1)
  • Garnet's Story (The Lone City #1.25)
  • The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
  • Wicked Promises (Fallen Royals, #3)
  • When Life Gives You Demons
  • The Archer at Dawn (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #2)
  • Disney's Alice in Wonderland Graphic Novel
  • Parallel
  • The House of the Stone (The Lone City, #1.5)
  • This Train Is Being Held
  • Find Me (Shatter Me, #4.5, #5.5)
  • The Impossibility of Us
  • Earth to Charlie

The Edge of Everything (2 books)
  • The Edge of Everything (The Edge of Everything, #1)

Articles featuring this book

YA fantasy author and Goodreads Choice Awards finalist Laini Taylor is an expert at creating lush worlds, rich characters, and the heartbreakin...