Start by marking “What Immortal Hand” as Want to Read:
What Immortal Hand

What Immortal Hand

Michael is called of God; just not that God.

What begins as a routine investigation of a hijacked truck turns into a desperate and personal quest for memories, faith, and meaning. The answers to these, for Michael Oswald, like the strangled cries of a thousand murdered travelers, is found in the dark heart of an ancient cult of killers.

Literary and dark, What Immortal Hand
Paperback, First, 318 pages
Published September 2017 by Omnium Gatherum

To ask other readers questions about What Immortal Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Immortal Hand

Start your review of What Immortal Hand
Paul Genesse
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing

What Immortal Hand by Johnny Worthen is a brilliant novel. It’s a cross between Neil Gaiman’s American Gods and vintage Stephen King. It’s literary horror, but are the main character’s visions/fever dreams proof of his madness, or is he being shown the future and the past by Kali, the Goddess of Death?

Michael Oswald is a tough investigator going down a dark road. A mystery to find a missing person becomes a personal journey as Michael learns about his demons.
The main character is extremely well
Michael Glassford
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“What Immortal Hand.” Some embrace the light, others seek the dark. But Michael Oswald espouses whatever comes naturally. Call it good or bad, it’s simply human. This road trip through Utah, Nevada, and California detours through the depths of a man’s soul. Mile after mile, the true horror lies within, as everything is fair game, nothing is sacred; unless it is. The prose are smart, witty, and subtle. The story drives at a methodical pace, like the cement seams of the highway lulling you into a ...more
Audrey
I can’t say I “liked” this story the whole time, but it is a well-crafted work of art. The story begins with Michael Oswald, an insurance claim investigator, searching for a missing truck driver and his cargo. He drives all over Nevada and Utah and Northern California. I had just finished this drive myself when I started the book. (I even have family in Alturas.)

It starts off as a mystery but things are a little off. Why are all these people calling him “J” names? And why does he keep losing tim
September Roberts
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dark, beautiful, and harrowing, Johnny Worthen takes his readers on a journey they'll never forget. Like a great mystery, there are hints sprinkled throughout the book that reveal what this story is really about: creation, preservation, and destruction. Mostly destruction.

When I started reading What Immortal Hand, I had no idea what to expect. Even now, I couldn't begin to try and put it into a category and find myself at a loss for words when describing it to others. At times it is lovely and h
Johnny Worthen
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I really went down the rabbit hole to write this one, beginning with a simple road thriller and ending in the depths of philosophical destruction. I consider it one of my best. It is a psychological and theological horror. Adult, literary, and haunting.
Meri1077
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this book!! It always keeps you guessing which side is Michael on. Will good overcome evil? I am not a fast reader, and I’ll admit that I’d rather wait for the movie sometimes, but this book had me locking myself away in my room so that I could read on! Undisturbed!!
Laurie
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sakina Murdock
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
What Immortal Hand, by Johnny Worthen is a well-paced road mystery that steps up the weirdness gradually until it’s in full flow, and the end is only the beginning, for some.

Michael Oswald is a survivor. A washed up, almost ready to cash it all in, survivor. An disreputable insurance investigator, he finds himself on the trail of a missing HGV, its medical laser cargo, and its driver, simultaneously sliding down a slippery slope to face his own past and future. People keep happening to Michael,
Daniel Yocom
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For me, this is the first time I have seen a story that starts in Wendover, which sits on the border of Nevada and Utah. Having lived for over 40 years in the Salt Lake valley, I have traveled to many of the locations and over the roads in Johnny Worthen's What Immortal Hand. It was a hook for me, and the story drew me in deeper.

Michael Oswald is hitting a mid-life crisis. Life has been going in the wrong direction for a while. He has gone through a divorce and his kids are living in another st
Ian Welke
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced, fun, and unsettling in all the right ways.
Jonathan Humphries
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this free as a ARC from the author for an honest review.

Now, to be transparent, I know Johnny Worthen. That said, I told him I'd be honest, and at first, I was REALLY nervous I was going to have to rate this lower. At the beginning of the book I was having a hard time connecting to the MC. I just didn't relate to him in any way. And it started out as a slow build. So a book with a slower start and a character I couldn't identify with... that's not always a good sign.

But I knew there
Troy
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was going to be as interesting as some of Johnny’s other works. A few chapters in it was going well. Then, a few chapters before the 2nd section, everything blew up. I was shocked. I didn’t see it coming. This is a good book.
I think if you’re looking for something that is interesting, and fun, this is the one to look at.
Tony Henrichsen
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What Immortal Hand is at once a surreal journey into darkness, and firmly grounded in a person that I can believe. I don't always like Michael Oswald, but I always believe him as a person and want to see where his journey goes. I was intrigued from the beginning, and the story did not disappoint. It took several twists and turns that I didn't see coming, and that is always a very sweet treat. If you feel like stepping into the dark, then don't hesitate to pick up this book.
Elisa
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from the author for an honest review.

I love Johnny Worthen. I haven't read a book of his I didn't enjoy. This book is one that sticks with you for days, thinking of the darker side of humanity and just how darkness is normalized in a person's upbringing.

The following is an excerpt from my blog:

What Immortal Hand is a book that starts in the realm of what we think of as reality, but slowly and surely it takes us to the realm of impossibility.  We learn that visions of demons and
Laurie Heath
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love a book with layers and this book is like an onion....layer after layer. There is so much depth and so much to chew on in What Immortal Hand. The main character is a man with his own secrets and layers...and when he peels them back it carries him to a crossroad that many wouldn't want to face. This book explores spirituality, family tragedy and secrets, fidelity and so much more. This is a story worth reading again and again...and I know I'll be reading it a second and possibly third time. ...more
Christen
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Fever-Dream Perfect Delve into Taboo

Johnny Worthen sneaks into our minds to choke out, if only for a moment, the faithful marriage of Christianity and the American soul. And in its place? He sets a sweet temptation against our tongues, a tale of bliss and madness well worth the read, if only we face our fear of it. In the shadows of our journey loom ash and blood as heralds of a new (old?) brand of salvation. Our ears fill with a song calling us to dance with Death herself. Worthen explores a
C.F.
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A complex tapestry woven of southwest (US) desert sands and the darkest imaginings. This book surprised me, (purposely) confused me, and by the last half, consumed me. It seemed to start off like a contemporary noir, but by the end I was awash in horror. Wonderfully unnerving. Beautifully and skillfully wrought. Complex. Well-researched. A roller-coaster ride that slowly gathers speed and never lets up. Will definitely read more of this author.
Terra
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This book should have a tiger on the cover. It was amazing and dark and exactly my kind of horror novel. Set in familiar locations with everyday people who harbor terrible (or are they wonderful?) secrets. I hated Michael Oswald in the beginning then I was curious and finally i cheered him on and hoped for his success. Set in a believable world with a story of underlying blackness that changed the way I view my own world, this was a masterpiece.
Isaac Kenn
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you know Johnny Worthen, just read it. If you're like me and always looking for a new author who doesn't disappoint, he does that thing you wish all writer's you don't know would do, he gives you a reason to keep turning pages. I'm surprised he's not a bigger name than he is, and won't be surprised if he is some day. This was my second title by him and I thoroughly enjoyed both. I wonder what he'd do with a series?
David Agranoff
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hmmmm, Good twist around the 2/3 mark. Didn't really like the ending but over all I thought this was pretty solid. Full review coming.
Swords & Spectres
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What Immortal Hand tells the tale of Michael Oswald and his buried past. I wasn’t sure what to expect when I picked this title up, but I can say that I was blown away by it. Everything from the storytelling to the character building is superb. The first fifty percent simply flew by as, much like Michael, I had no idea what was going on and was simply along for the ride as far as his journey of self-discovery played out.

Michael is one of those characters that, despite the fact he is a selfish, f
Craig Kingsman
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Michael is at a crossroads in his life. He's questioning everything: his job, his ex-wife, his children, his past, God, religion, and life itself. Growing up he was in and out of foster care and was finally adopted. Most of his life before adoption is unknown. So, he goes about trying to find out where he came from in hopes of answering the other questions. Along the way, you may start to ask yourself some of the same questions. I wondered what drove Worthen to write this book and what questions ...more
Paul Atreides
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this journey of discovery. As all religions have, the dark part of Hinduism turned out to be fascinating. I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys mysticism; this one is mixed with a murder mystery.

Michael is a complicated individual...as his past is slowly revealed through dreams and visions. The end, which I won't give away surprised.

As mentioned regarding the Kindle edition, I found some errors in the text of the print edition. But, then again, I found some in Stephen & Owen King's "
Heidi Brown - Floyd
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, nook
I got a e-copy of this book from the author Johnny Worthen. I am very grateful for the opportunity to read this book. Was very well written. I really like the characters in the book. I really like the twist to the book. I hope there is a second book to this book, if not still a very good book to read. In the beginning I got a little lost in details, but managed to get to the result of the details later on. I recommend to my family and friends to read.
Mike
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I liked it. A little slow to get into at first but I enjoyed it more and more as it moved along. A twisted version of a redemption story with a mystery and even a bit of a heist story thrown in, all things that I like.
Gregory Kompes
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Well constructed puzzle (perhaps over constructed?), but the characters have no depth. I really didn't find myself invested in any of them. Also, the third person/present tense combination just doesn't work. There are also A LOT of typos and errors in the Kindle edition.
Maegan
Oct 15, 2018
Tracy
rated it it was ok
Oct 12, 2019

• What the Hell Did I Just Read (John Dies at the End, #3)
  • The Rose and the Crane
  • The Vagina Bible: The Vulva and the Vagina—Separating the Myth from the Medicine
  • The Knight Templar (The Crusades Trilogy, #2)
  • The Whipping Boy
  • The Greatest Knight: The Remarkable Life of William Marshal, The Power Behind Five English Thrones
  • Little Love
  • Navigating Mormon Faith Crisis: A Simple Developmental Map
  • The Kingdom at the End of the Road (The Crusades Trilogy, #3)
Johnny Worthen is an award-winning, best-selling author of books and stories. A Utah Writer of the Year. Trained in modern literary criticism and cultural studies, he writes upmarket multi-genre fiction, symbolized by his love of tie-dye and good words. “I write what I like to read,” he says. “This guarantees me at least one fan.”

Johnny is best known (so far) for his award winning, nationally accl

News & Interviews