Start by marking “Catalyst (Flashpoint #2)” as Want to Read:
Catalyst (Flashpoint #2)

Catalyst

(Flashpoint #2)

When a food storage depot in famine-struck South Sudan is torched, American aid worker Brie Stewart flees, only to land in a market where she’s the next item up for auction. Is the attack on the aid facility another assault upon the war-torn fledgling democracy, or has her family set her up as a pawn in their quest for oil rights?

Chief Warrant Officer Sebastian Ford
Published November 21st 2017 by Janus Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Catalyst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catalyst

Start your review of Catalyst (Flashpoint #2)
Anita
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rachel Grant is one of the very best authors of romantic suspense, ever. This author and this book have the highest recommendation I can possibly give. The story is compelling and the reason is that the civil war torn countries in famine background for this book is real. Great character development, a solid suspense/mystery and a searing romance just add to this fantastic book.

Brie Stewart, aka Princess Prime, daughter of Prime Oil billionaire, Jeffery Prime, is an aid worker in the civil
Caz
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B+ at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars; but it was within a hairsbreadth of an A-

I’ve become a huge fan of Rachel Grant’s particular blend of complex, steamy and intricately plotted romantic suspense novels over the past year or so, and have been eagerly awaiting the release of Catalyst, the second book in her Flashpoint series. Like the previous book, Tinderbox, Catalyst is set in a real-life flashpoint, this time in South Sudan, a young nation embroiled in an ongoing civil war, and
Dísir
I’ve always thought of Rachel Grant as the romantic suspense author who goes where good authors of this sub-genre go, then where most books actually end, takes it a breath-stealing mile further. Where entire books would have been written around a sex-trafficking plot, Grant integrates hers with a smartly-written overview of cultural anthropology, native American issues and the knife-edge balance of the socio-political situation in Africa that makes her Flashpoint series beyond excellent.

Caz
A gripping romantic thriller set in one of the world's flashpoints - South Sudan - in which the kidnap of a US aid worker sets in train a series of unprecedented events and uncovers a deadly conspiracy. My review of the book is HERE, but the audio version is even better, a great story enhanced by outstanding narration from Greg Tremblay. The man doesn't seem able to deliver a bad performance!
CD {Boulder Blvd}
I like this author's writing but a number of items kept me from enjoying the full book.

First, I really liked the backdrop of this story and the development of the fight for oil profits, the USAID aspects, the discussion of the poverty and abuse and treatment of the poor citizens of these countries. This backdrop was well crafted.

But the plot of this book, the development of this backdrop were overshadowed by elements I didn't like. I really, really did not like the two leads. I didn't like
Julie (Jewlsbookblog)
I love Rachel Grant’s heroines. They’re typically sassy, smart, and capable. They don’t necessarily rely on the hero to save them; rather they work in tandem as a team to save each other in a variety of situations. Brie Stewart is no different. She has a lot of issues and she does tend to lament her poor decision making in her younger years often, but I took it to be her way of reminding herself she has come a long way since then. Her coping mechanisms and tough facade came from a backbone ...more
Rih
Catalyst is only the second book in The Flashpoint series and already becoming another of my favorite series by Mrs. Grant.
Sometimes fiction has its way to highlight a cruel and sad reality in our current real world, this book accomplished that. I was captivated from the very beginning by the plot and all the sensitive themes that are addressed though the book, at times I felt sick knowing the fiction in the book is the reality of many. Bastian is a hero that struggles with his immense love and
Dawn
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a great book! Rachel is one of my favorite authors and this is book follows Pax and Morgan's book. This is Bastian's and Brie's book.

The storyline is stellar, the characters great, even the bad guys, and the momentum is a great paste that will keep you interested through the entire book.

As always I feel like I always learn something new from this author and it keeps me coming back for more. As always, I'm ready for the next book!

I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Mandi Schreiner
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: rom-suspense
The setting in South Sudan felt well researched and realistic - the military stuff as well. It's a very detailed, military rom-suspense.

I didn't love the pairing of the h/h - their romance didn't do a ton for me - overall though, an okay read - I'll probably give it a C+

Review coming
Tonya Burrows
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoying this series. If you like my HORNET books, definitely give this one a go.
Angela
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**I received an Advanced Reader Copy for my honest review**

Catalyst can really be broken down into two separate books. The first section features Brie escaping a USAID compound in South Sudan, captured and taken to a slave market where she’s rescued by Bastian. At that point, they go on the run to avoid capture by those hunting Brie. The second section features Brie and Bastian going to Morocco to take down a Russian oligarch trying to start genocide in South Sudan – who also happens to have an
Mei
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
As everybody know I'm a huge fan of Ms. Grant's books! :)

This story could be divided into two parts.

The first is happening in South Sudan where Brie is attacked and put on sale as slave and where Bastian rescues her and they have to run and hide in the Sudanese desert while every villain in the vicinity is chasing them.

The second is in Marocco, where they have to track a Russian pervert and Sudanese mass-murdering general for the CIA.

IMHO, the first part was way better than the second. I loved
‘Sup?
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5*

I have been waiting for this book since before I even finished TINDERBOX, the preceding book in the Flashpoint series! Rachel Grant is one of my all-time favourite romantic suspense authors and indisputable auto-buy because her work is both the epitome of everything romantic suspense should be and incredibly educational without being pedantic, all wrapped in a superbly written package. In less skilled hands, CATALYST would simply be a pulse-pounding story of human trafficking and sexual
Traann
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Catalyst by Rachel Grant is the second book in her Flashpoint Series, and just like the first book, it grabs you in the first few pages and you won’t want to put the book down until you have finished it. There are characters from the first book in the series, Tinderbox, but if you haven’t read that one, you will not be lost by reading this book first.

The book starts out in a club in Camp Citron, Djibouti with Chief Warrant Officer Sebastian “Bastian” Ford, looking for, and finding, a woman he
Iman
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved it but less Than the first one, maybe because Bastian was less swoony?
Kaetrin
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for AudioGals. Brilliant. https://www.audiogals.net/2018/01/cat...
LuAnn Rodriquez
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
CATALYST by Rachel Grant is another in a lengthy line of good books to read by this compelling author. She writes about real-world people living in situations that are not only real but also heart-wrenching in the desperate third-world need they portray. She balances that true darkness with a delightful picture of the love, joy and fun possible when two people meet who come from very different backgrounds but who are so much alike at the core that they both change in significant and meaningful ...more
Jennifer Schultheis
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Catalyst by Rachel Grant is book two in the Flashpoint series and will suck readers in, just like the first book did. It didn’t take long before I was enamored by this story. The characters were intriguing, the story was full of action, and the writing was well-done. 5 stars all the way!

Brie Stewart is an American aid worker in South Sudan, only she is more than that. Her family is very well-known and has a multitude of wealth. But Brie and her family didn’t agree on certain things, so she
Kerry
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book 1 in this series was a tough act to follow, but I think Ms. Grant has exceeded herself with this newest installment! While the plot is just a gripping as I had hoped, it was really the characters that set this book apart for me. Brie and Bastian are both complex and dynamic characters. It was fascinating to learn about Brie's past and how that has shaped the person she is today. She is tough, extremely competent, and sassy, but she still has some vulnerabilities that she tries to hide from ...more
JoAn
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catalyst by Rachel Grant is The Flashpoint series' second book. Although I had not read the first one, I never felt lost or confused. This book stands alone without any problems for a reader.

Ms. Grant has written a thrilling and suspenseful book that captured me almost from the start. Her descriptive narrative of South Sudan and the desperate struggles that the people who live there go through each day broke my heart. I am quite sure that Ms. Grant researched this country thoroughly and the
Jo
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rachel Grant is slipping. There is no explosion for at least the first 10 pages, if not more. But, honestly? That’s really the only issue I have with this book. And a made-up one at that!

Both characters are wonderful. Both strong in their own ways. Both with their own weaknesses. And yet written with such a strong chemistry with each other that it is impossible not to get drawn into their story.

But as is always the case, the plot does not play second fiddle to the love interest. Oh no.
Lynn Mullan
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
CATALYST, the second book in the Flashpoint series, certainly didn't disappoint.
Rachel Grant's writing is tremendous. The storyline/plot is excellent and there's plenty of suspense and intrigue along the way.
Our hero is CWO Sebastian Ford, Bastian (the B**tard) and the heroine is feisty Brie Stewart (Gabrielle Prime). Their previous meeting hadn't gone well, and Bastian did not hold Brie in high regard...but it doesn't take long for him to start seeing her in a different light.
We are taken to
Sheri
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a Rachel Grant fan and Catalyst didn't disappoint. It's another great read.

It took a while for me to really like the heroine, because it took a while for her true personality to be revealed. The ending of this book is a roller coaster ride. I envisioned it like I would a movie. It should be a movie! Very exciting, with action that doesn't stop.
Diana
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my best books of the year, both the ebook and the audiobook. It’s my busiest time at work so this brief review will have to do for now. If you like romantic suspense, this book is a must.

I purchased the ebook and the author provided the audio.
CLM
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to CLM by: Caz
Interesting characters but I found the plot of this book absurd and unconvincing. On the other hand, I am curious about the most interesting person in this series, Savannah the FBI operative, so I guess I will continue reading . . .
Sue
Wow, 5 star read by Rachel Grant, loving her books and this one has to be a favourite. It's full of special Forces hotties, tonnes of suspense and action/drama. Absolutely loved Bastian & Brie!
Mona
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The aspects which drew me into this book was the drive and dedication of Brie Stewart aka Gabriella Prime The Princes of Prime Oil Company. She escaped and did something her life in a part of the country which needed help. The South Sudan where she helped women, and towns brought the aid they needed. Brie had two different sides to her. She was the made up girl with the fancy clothes, and all the makeup. But the other side was the person who cares about the world.

Chief Warrant Officer Sebastian
Cindy
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Along with a great suspenseful story the author always gives us a great history lesson throughout the book. South Sudan has is a country full of violenceand has been in acivil warsince 2013. And if that isn't bad enough first world countries are using and exploiting Africa over its oil fields.

Now you are probably wondering why I just gave you a history lesson. Well those two things – the civil war in South Sudan and foreign oil corporations exploiting Africa are the heart of this book.

Sharon
I liked this book, but I didn't LOVE it like I loved Tinderbox, the first in the series. Catalyst is well researched, timely, and deals with heavy issues like child slavery and sex slavery, particularly in Africa. The topic of Russian interference in world affairs, particularly their close ties to unscrupulous corporations, is explored at length. I really enjoyed this aspect of the novel.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the main thrust of the story is the romance between Brie and Sebastian, and I
Sunny
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ARC Review

It is a rich, complex story that highlights global issues and greatly entertains. Rachel Grant is not afraid to tackle tough topics. Kudos for a wonderful story.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Cold Blooded (Cold Justice, #9)
  • A Cold Dark Promise (Cold Justice #8.5)
  • Cold & Deadly (Cold Justice: Crossfire, #1)
  • Colder Than Sin (Cold Justice: Crossfire, #2)
  • Cold Malice (Cold Justice, #8)
  • Edge of Survival
  • Dark Memento (Verona Bay, #1)
  • Cold Secrets (Cold Justice, #7)
  • Bishop's Knight (Endgame Trilogy #1)
  • Hard Asset (Cobra Elite, #2)
  • Eagle (Linear Tactical #2)
  • Cyclone (Linear Tactical, #1)
  • Fractured Honor (Crimson Point, #1)
  • Cold Hearted (Cold Justice, #6)
  • Cold in the Shadows (Cold Justice, #5)
  • Echo (Linear Tactical #7)
  • Close to Heaven (Colorado High Country, #5)
  • Total Control (Alpha Crew, #4)
New Release:
description

Available Now:
description

USA Today bestselling author Rachel Grant worked for over a decade as a professional archaeologist and mines her experiences for storylines and settings, which are as diverse as excavating a cemetery underneath an historic art museum in San Francisco, survey and excavation of many prehistoric Native American sites in the Pacific Northwest, researching an historic

Flashpoint (3 books)
  • Tinderbox (Flashpoint, #1)
  • Firestorm (Flashpoint #3)
“So, your friends call you Bastian. Your enemies call you asshole. What do lovers call you?”
“Why do you want to know?”
She smiled up at the stars. “Future reference.”
3 likes
“I’m going to make an exception for you. If you want to study me – every inch of me – I’m willing to be your lab rat.”
“Well, I’d need to have research questions if it’s going to be a valid scientific endeavor.”
1 likes