Start by marking “La casa del callejón” as Want to Read:
La casa del callejón

La casa del callejón

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  44,870 ratings  ·  6,054 reviews
En un estrecho callejón, junto a un pub de barrio, en Londres, encontrarás un pequeño portón de hierro negro empotrado en una tapia de ladrillo. No tiene pomo, ni cerradura, ni rendijas junto a los bordes, pero si pones la mano encima la puerta se abrirá. De pronto estarás mirando un jardín en pleno esplendor, iluminado por el sol, y al fondo verás una antigua casa cubiert ...more
Published October 2017 by Literatura Random House (first published October 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about La casa del callejón, please sign up.
Maya Panika Write lots of reviews, post them where someone will see them and publishers will start hurling books at you. Then you can share my agony of turning…moreWrite lots of reviews, post them where someone will see them and publishers will start hurling books at you. Then you can share my agony of turning great books down all the time because there just isn't enough time in the world to read everything that's offered. Like others have said, Netgalley is a great place to start (but you'll be accepted for more and better books the more you review).(less)
Brakob Arthur I really don't think you need to. All of Mitchell's novels have characters that show up in other books of his. This one is no exception. The story is…moreI really don't think you need to. All of Mitchell's novels have characters that show up in other books of his. This one is no exception. The story is very self-contained. You won't miss out by not having read Bone Clocks. If you wanted to get every reference and in-joke, you'd really have to read All of DMs earlier novels. But I think they all stand on their own quite nicely.(less)

·  44,870 ratings  ·  6,054 reviews

karen
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
so, whoopsie! i read this thinking it was a standalone book (inasmuch as any david mitchell books are standalones), but it actually takes place in the same world as The Bone Clocks, which i am already ashamed about not having read (yet) and am now re-shamed by this book's exposing me to creatures and situations without the context of The Bone Clocks under my belt.

dammit.

with this in mind, i can say that this holds its own as a self-contained supernatural/haunted house story. i didn't at any poi
Cecily
Tonight feels like a board-game designed by M C Escher on a bender and Stephen King in a fever.”
Rather like this book.

David Mitchell is usually shelved and sold alongside other writers of "Literary Fiction" (a label I dislike). He's twice been shortlisted for the Booker Prize, and his novels often bulge with beautifully crafted images.

This is in a different mould; it's Mitchell having fun, and needs to be read as a much lighter confection in terms of style, though a rather darker one in terms
Warwick
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, england, ebooks
David Mitchell does his usual thing of writing a few short stories, gluing them together, and calling it a novel. He gets away with it because he is just so extravagantly readable, and Slade House is no different – a hugely enjoyable ghost story which (I infer) seems to build on various conventions established in The Bone Clocks, which I haven't yet read.

The first story here is set in 1979, and subsequent chapters advance in nine-year intervals until we reach October 2015 – all of them first-per
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
My favorite creepy horror novel! So if you know me, you may know I don't do horror novels. In fact, I could probably count the number I've read on one hand (though I do read some horror short stories; they're easier for me to handle). But still! This was a really fascinating read without completely freaking me out and giving me nightmares. (Thanks again, Stephen King, for permanently searing my brain with Pet Sematary.)

Final review, first posted at www.fantasyliterature.com:

The enigmatic Slade H
Mohammed Arabey
A Cursed Eternity, Soul Eaters, Dark Cult, Gifted Characters & A Lacuna.
You can clearly hear a X-Files Theme playing here..

Five Stories, One House.

A mysterious Black Iron door appears to you out of high brick walled alley, only on a certain day every 9 years..

Step inside ,for your own good, with your totally free will..for a purpose you already planned days,if not years ago..
Step inside, aha here you are, the back garden of this marble white beautiful house..every thing's vivid..

You may eat
Lyn
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well played Mr. Mitchell, well played.

Mitchell’s October 2015 publication (just in time and thematically relevant to Halloween) is a modern addition to a list of great October titles.

Styling a series of first person connected but stand alone chapters into a seamless narrative, Mitchell has crafted a story that slowly grips the reader until the last few pages in this short novel fly by as the reader is unable to put the book down.

Slade House is set in a quiet suburban neighborhood in England, alb
Candi
I picked up Slade House with the idea of reading something creepy and perhaps slightly unusual before Halloween. As it turned out, it was nightmarish and positively bizarre! I was mostly entertained while reading this, but as I now try to write my review, I realize that not much of this has stuck with me after a mere two weeks. Fortunately, this is not the kind of book that I want to examine too closely nor do I want to give much of it away to future readers. So, I’ll share just a few thoughts o ...more
Diane S ☔
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Magically (and creepily) delicious. Loved every minute of this one, just wish I has read it closer to Halloween. Not overtly scary, yet what is accomplished in this short novel did send a few shivers my way. So many lines can be taken in more than one way, little humorous tidbits scattered here and there. A haunted house but so much more, original and brilliant in its own way. Actually this will make a good book for re-reading, which is just what I will do.

ARC from publisher.
Navidad Thélamour
“To follow [the] trail of breadcrumbs you have to blindfold your own sanity…”

Wow, what a ride! David Mitchell’s Slade House came running round the bend, no pun intended (well, maybe just a little for those who have read it), at full steam ahead with all of the mechanical makings and suspenseful trappings of a haunting psychological thrill ride. It had a rhythmic flow that you could fall into, but beware. That trap has thorns. And fangs.

“…but as I watch, the running-boy shape gets fuzzier and be
Elyse Walters
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I enjoyed the way this story started in the first chapter with 13 year old Nathan. He is
sweet- sensitive- autistic --( the type of boy other kids would make fun of at school),
Plus his mum is newly divorced, popping Valium like gum- drops.

Then jumping ahead...Nathan's mother, Rita, find the house off Slade Alley. Rita, being a piano player, gets invited to performs for well-known guests including Yehudi Menuhin. It was a street person
just passing by who helped them through an iron door - findi
Michael
Quite a fun read, one that shouldn’t be spoiled by reading anything substantial about its contents. But it takes more than platitudes and blurbs to help a potential reader decide whether to pursue reading this book.

If you are a Mitchell fan like me, you can gladly reach for it. I could hardly put it down. Many of you were disappointed in the break into fantasy- land at the end of “The Bone Clocks”. I would say that the apparent clash of genres won’t be a problem here. With this short novel (aro
Christine

I wish to thank Net Galley, Random House and author David Mitchell for the privilege of reading an ARC of Slade House in exchange for an unbiased review.

This is my first David Mitchell read, and I will probably leave it at that. I basically had a hard time connecting with this book. If I hadn’t been involved in a buddy read with my good friend, I would have stopped after the first chapter. She encouraged me though, and I made it to the end.

I did like some aspects of this read. The stor
Robin

...I'd scream if I could but I can't my chest's full of molten panic it's choking me choking it's wolves it's winter it's bones it's cartilage skin liver lungs it's Hunger it's Hunger it's Hunger and Run!

A delightful romp into the creepy, ghostly, occult world of David Mitchell.

Slade House, a ghostly entity/vision/trap which is manned by malicious, parasitic twins, is open one day every nine years, to a special "guest" who is lured into this hologram world, constructed in order to attra
Violet wells
Entertaining if a bit predictable. Basically a shorter version of The Bone Clocks starring the ubiquitous Dr Marinus and featuring various other characters from other Mitchell novels. For me this joke/motif is beginning to wear thin. Essentially this is light entertainment rather than literature. And begs the question, what has happened to Mitchell’s ambition? Has he already peaked with Cloud Atlas and The Thousand Autumns? This, rather like the Bone Clocks, felt like he was going through the mo ...more
Ian "Marvin" Graye
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Escapees from the teenage wasteland
Recommended to Ian by: Marvin Grayer
Tweet! Tweet!

"Slade House" grew out of David Mitchell's Oulipean project in which he wrote a short story, "The Right Sort", strictly in compliance with Twitter conventions that restrict each tweet to 140 characters (approximately 20 words per tweet).

The restraints are so commonplace in a non-literary context that it's easy to overlook just how much this exercise constituted a work within the post-modern tradition.

Superficially, it seems that the story grew, tweet by tweet, without any overarch
Bradley
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, sci-fi
It's so fun to see what people think is traditional fiction these days. Even Goodreads categorizing this one as Horror is funny as hell. This was SF. I mean, how else can anyone classify closed time-like loops, telepathy? Oh, all right, eating a soul is primarily an occupational hazard of the horror genre, so I'll give *that* a pass. The narrative structure of sending his darlings into the roach motel, over and over and over is kind of a dead giveaway, too. Get it? Dead? Oh, nevermind...

And yet,
Ginger
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was this a weird book? Yes

Did it scare me? No

Did I enjoy the complex plot? Heck yes.
I almost gave up on Slade House in the beginning because the plot was so confusing. Stick with it!

Was I confused with some of the mystical shit? Uh, yes

Will I read more books by David Mitchell? YES!

I enjoyed this short, suspenseful book by David Mitchell. I wouldn't necessarily classify this as horror since it didn't scare me but it had great horror elements in it.

Slade House is a strange and unique plot with int
Karen
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dragged this one out so I could finish it on Halloween. This was creepy but not too much. I liked it. Every nine years on the last Saturday of October, that black door to the gardens of Slade House opens to another victim.....perfect for Halloween :)
Dianne
I received an Advance Reader copy of this book from NetGalley and Random House Publishing. Thanks to NetGalley and Random House. This review, however, is based on the hardcover version.

What a fun, creepy, clever book! A great follow-up to "The Bone Clocks" and much easier to follow.

"Slade House" consists of 5 intertwined stories, starting in 1979. Each subsequent story occurs 9 years from the previous story, ending in 2015. The mysterious Slade House is a mansion hidden behind a small iron door
Carol
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trust no one........DO NOT go down the alley........DO NOT pass though the gate, and NEVER enter SLADE HOUSE for you may NEVER leave.............

SUPER WEIRD and filled with the mysterious, this twisty haunted house tale makes for a great Halloween read! The unique format of the individual, but related stories combined with the various "tricks" and "treats" of the evil presence kept me guessing between what was real and what was imaginary.

This is my first David Mitchell novel, but NOT my last.

Phrynne
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an absolute little treasure of a book! I could not put it down and read it in one totally enjoyable afternoon. I have already read a couple of this author's better known works and enjoyed them but this one was so short yet so packed full of mystery, fantasy and a touch of horror.
Imagine a fabulous mansion which appears only once every nine years and two horrific vampire like residents who live forever by consuming human souls. Then follow the stories of each of those souls as they are temp
Morgannah
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You Got Me Mr. Mitchell, YOU GOT ME!!!

I thought I was smarter than you. I thought I knew where you were going with the story. I thought I was ahead of you and had it ALL figured out. I really believe you saw me coming because right when I thought I had caught you, you warbled and you wobbled and got away from me.

Turns out, I wasn't even on the same path as you.

I loved this book with all its twists and turns and surprises. I even loved when I was taken completely aback.

If you take nothing else
Maxwell
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, arc
Ok, this book was freakin' awesome! If you liked The Bone Clocks you have to read this one. It's a companion novel that gives you another look at the paranormal/atemporal aspects of TBC in a more microcosmic way. It's a brief novel, only five chapters each told from a different perspective across 36 years. But Mitchell is a master at pacing, and, like TBC, it builds up to a wonderful and metaphysical conclusion that is so bizarre it just works. It is a solid 4 star read for me, but by the last ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I was lucky to snag a review copy from the publisher but would have purchased it regardless, as David Mitchell is one of my favorite authors.

Slade House is the story of a hidden home, the site of a few disappearances over the years. What I have always loved about David Mitchell is his ability to shift into different genres, different styles, different characters. They are always different from one another and believable. This is a wonderful scary/ghost type story, more narrow in scope than some
Ron Charles
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spooky-creatures
Enter if you dare!

That’s more warning than victims get in David Mitchell’s devilishly fun new novel, which clawed its way to life from the ectoplasm of Twitter. Now, just in time for Halloween, “Slade House” opens its rusty door on a ghost story that dresses up all the dusty old tropes with Mitchell’s spirit and wit. His fans will need no enticement, but for the curious, too intimidated by “Cloud Atlas” or even last year’s “The Bone Clocks,” this little book will go down like fresh gummy worms.

I
Hugh
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-lit, read-2016
I hate to be wholly negative but for me this book is further evidence that Mitchell has lost the plot. I was willing to give The Bone Clocks a curate's egg (good in parts) review because it did at least have quite lengthy sections which showed some insight into reality and had echoes of his best work, but this one (like the penultimate part of The Bone Clocks) is just too obsessed with the risible fantasy nonsense about immortal souls and psychic superpowers.

Perhaps Mitchell finds the real worl
Perry
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and Haunting Jaunt into Darkness
Not Having Had Prior Pleasure of Reading Mitchell Novel, Regardless of Whether this was Drop Off for David M.

If you, dear contemplating reader, haven't read a David Mitchell novel, you are in for a spectacular, albeit short, treat, so go ahead, DO IT....

Step into the appealing aperture that's Slade House, only open a day or two every 9 years. Rest assured: what happens in Slade House, stays in Slade House.

I pleasured in reading David Mitchell's short novel,
Jan
This is my first venture into the twisted and creative mind of David Mitchell. I didn't know what to expect, as it appears people either idolize Mitchell's work, or completely hate it. Perfect example: I read this with another goodreads buddy, and while I became a fan, her-not so much.

Her reasons for not liking the book are actually the reasons that I did...she has more of a 'science mind', and some of the situations and scenarios were too hard for her to believe. For me, I felt if you are goin
Kimberly
4.5 stars.

SLADE HOUSE is a haunted house story unlike any I've ever encountered before. That is because--with the exception of a very select few--Slade House simply "does not exist". Oh, you'll find the narrow "Slade Alley" across from the Fox and Hounds Pub, but no physical area to accommodate a lavish home and garden as Slade House is reputed to have.

If this is the case for you, count your blessings!

Author David Mitchell has brought us a complex tale of physical and mental horror that is simpl
Blair
Review originally published at Learn This Phrase.

David Mitchell's The Bone Clocks may have been a disappointment for numerous reasons, a three-star book that really, if I was being completely honest, should have been two (as I've occasionally done, I gave it extra credit, so to speak, because of my affection for the author's other work), but that didn't stop me from being excited about Slade House. A (sort of) ghost story centred on one mysterious house was always going to be irresistible to m
Horror Aficionados : May 2019 Group Read #1: SLADE HOUSE, by David Mitchell 70 224 May 25, 2019 02:16PM
Horror Aficionados : Slade House 40 55 Jan 15, 2019 03:51PM
Indian Readers: SLADE HOUSE 8 20 Jan 01, 2019 12:12PM
Play Book Tag: Slade House - 4 stars 1 12 Nov 05, 2018 03:39PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • The Underground Railroad
  • Lovecraft Country
  • Nyctophobia
  • The Devil in Silver
  • Elizabeth
  • The War (Blackwater, #4)
  • Cast A Cold Eye
  • Between Two Fires
  • The Stones of Muncaster Cathedral
  • The Travelling Bag
  • Locke & Key
David Mitchell was born in Southport, Merseyside, in England, raised in Malvern, Worcestershire, and educated at the University of Kent, studying for a degree in English and American Literature followed by an M.A. in Comparative Literature. He lived for a year in Sicily, then moved to Hiroshima, Japan, where he taught English to technical students for eight years, before returning to England. Afte ...more
“Grief is an amputation, but hope is incurable haemophilia: you bleed and bleed and bleed.” 86 likes
“People are masks, with masks under those masks, and masks under those, and down you go.” 35 likes