Start by marking “Winter Wren (Blade and Rose, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Winter Wren (Blade and Rose, #0.5)

Winter Wren

(Blade and Rose #0.5)

A mage apprentice and her master... Against three hundred mercenaries sieging a town.

Seventeen-year-old mage apprentice Rielle accompanies her master, Leigh, on a mission to save a viscount from a town under mercenary control. But mercenaries aren't the only newcomers to town. When the mission goes awry, Rielle must choose whether to follow her orders or follow her conscie
Published July 19th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Winter Wren, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Wren

Start your review of Winter Wren (Blade and Rose, #0.5)
Ashlee » Library In The Country
I loved this quick glimpse into Rielle and Jon's first meeting! It also had some simply sweet moments between Leigh and some fantastic banter between the two of them. This is very fast-paced read (or listen), giving a little more insight into Rielle's character and events that are a driving catalyst for Blade & Rose's story. Highly recommend this short story and the overall series! ...more
Emily West
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantasy was never really my "go to" genre, but Miranda Honfleur has changed the way I read. "Winter Wren" is a stunning debut, giving a glimpse into a magical, sometimes brutal world through the lens of a strong, skilled, compassionate heroine. With a fast-paced plot, fantastical elements, relate-able characters, intrigue and romance, I couldn't stop reading. The ending came all too fast. I can't wait for what Miranda Honfleur has in store - I will be waiting eagerly, on baited breath!
Jessica Landberg
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit too short for me to really know what I think of this world and the author. But Rielle seems like a great character!
Katherine
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Sarah J Maas
If "Winter Wren" is any indication, you can sign me up for the whole series!

The battle lines were drawn the moment the story began, sucking the reader in to this stunning--and at times--brutal world. Rielle is a strong and talented protagonist who must choose between her values and what her bosses claim is most important. This struggle plays out in vivid definition as the plot unfolds. I found myself rooting for her right away, and her transformation throughout the story did not disappoint.

I c
Elkin Hardcoves
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
In ancient Icelandic tales the appearance of the term Wren often meant hardship, or difficult decisions, and in this work, nothing could be truer. The heroin is confronted by a choice that often haunts all of us, hold onto our ideals and face censure, and possible repercussions from superiors, or take the easy path. This is the decision that lies in front of apprentice Rielle, as she accompanies her master on a journey that will involve more than just merely freeing a noble from a town controlle ...more
Ryan Muree
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Game of Thrones and Sarah J Maas
This little taste of Miranda Honfleur's massive world is fantastic!

Already, Rielle is an unforgettable main character. She's smart, she's skilled, she's strong-willed. She's all this while keeping a level-head and not being flawless. That's right, she's not flawless, which makes her phenomenal. You root for her from the get-go. You immediately take her side and want to see her succeed.

Without giving away spoilers, the story is clearly setting up multiple relationships across the cast. It leaves
Angel Haze
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have one word for this PHENOMENAL!

Okay, so I can't stop at one. lol. You can't read something this amazing and not gush. It was only a short, read in less than an hour...and yet the impact it had on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !I keep telling people about the amazingly talented indies out there--some who can easily rival the greats! Miranda is one of them!

I knew I'd like it, I didn't expect THIS much!! The writing, the badass characters, the world...

JUST. UTTERLY. AMAZING!

What more can I say...except
Susan Cotter
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great intro to a new world. This isn't my go-to genre but I read it in one sitting. Enough chemistry to light up the sky, all the more interesting b/c Rielle and her instructor Leigh aren't supposed to be together. Non-stop action in this one. Didn't put it down until I finished. Can't wait for the next installment.
Shannon
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good introduction to a rich, detailed world.
Melinda Labuscagne
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked the book a lot. Rielle does not keep quiet for Leigh. She has a strong will and she knows right from wrong. I cannot wait for book 2.
Catharine Glen
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romantic-fantasy
Great introduction to a debut series! Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Jessica Kingstin
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
To say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book would be an understatement.
When a friend recommended this short story as a quick listen to those of us that were members of the Sightless Readers of the Southeast, I’ll admit I was interested. When he personally said that those of us that liked romance fantasy would thoroughly enjoy it, I was more than just intrigued.

I must admit from the earliest sentences I found myself liking Rielle.

While there has been a push towards strong, well-rounded, complex
Gaddle
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review is based on an audio-book that I received. It is an honest review and the complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating.

'Winter Wren' by Miranda Honfleur is the story of Rielle.
'Winter Wren' is a sword-and-sorcery short story, a prequel to the romantic epic-fantasy series 'Blade and Rose'.
This series has 5 books, but later this year (2019) book 6 will be released. There are also 2 novella's.
This audio-book is about 46 minutes long. It is a short novella.

The n
OldBird
Rielle and her lover/former tutor(/key to being recommended for the magical equivelent of a promotion) are on a mission. His goal: battle past mercenaries, save the viscount, save the world. Rielle's not so sure. What about the townsfolk and other assorted innocents? Since when have feisty, idealistic teenage mages been known to follow orders?

A fast-paced, action-packed story that introduces a whole host of concepts that make up the Blade and Rose universe. The complex magic system sounds fascin
Amy A
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Winter Wren works as an introductory short story. We meet seventeen year old mage apprentice Rielle who is accompanying her master on a mission to save an important Viscount from a village under the control of mercenaries. The question of save one in order to save many is an internal conflict that presents itself for Rielle within the rather short read.
Having already started the first full-length book in the series, Blade & Rose, I can assure you that Winter Wren sets up quite nicely characters
Alexa
This is a prequel story to a 6-book series with a mage protagonist. Rielle, the protagonist works together with her master (and lover) Leigh to save the viscount of a city, but then the paladins arrive - soldiers who are immune to magic, and aren't a big fans of mages.

I got some serious Dragon Age vibes from this story, but given that I love Dragon Age and I love mages, that is definitely a good thing. Rielle was a kindhearted protagonist that I think I would love. Leigh (and by extension the r
The Mysterious Reader
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Miranda Honfleur’s Winter Wren (A Blade and Rose Short Story) is a wonderful prequel to her
Blade and Rose series. It’s do a great a sword-and-sorcery short story with a wonderful lead in mage apprentice Rielle, A great supporting cast and an adventure that turns out to be much more than what it first seems (and no I’m not going to tell any more and spoil things). This is a fun book and a great way to “test ride” the series. But for the fact that I’m literally dictating this review to my husband
Stanley Hutchings
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rielle and Leigh are sent by the Emaurrian Tower to save a Viscount in the castle town of Signy from Crag mercenaries gone rogue, led by Gilles. The battle against the mercenaries is joined by paladins of the Order of Terra. Rielle heals a fatally injured paladin. Although both Rielle and Leigh are fighting the mercenaries, there is hostility between them due to their different philosophies and previous relationship. The battle is won thanks to the magic of Rielle and Leigh, but not without many ...more
Charlotte
I’ve been meaning to try Miranda Honfleur for while now, she pops up a lot in the different fantasy groups I follow and they’re the kind of bookworms that never steer you wrong. Equally, Blade & Rose is quite a sizeable work and, not being the sort to DNF, I’ve been a little intimidated about jumping into another wrist-achingly-big book series. This seemed the perfect opportunity to dip my toe and test the waters.

All in, it’s safe to say I’m ready to go swimming! Honfleur is 100% deserving of h
Emily Pennington
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
"Winter Wren" is a sword-and-sorcery magic and villains short story prequel to the epic-fantasy series Blade and Rose. It is full of action and suspense. The writing is excellent and will captivate the reader right from the start.

As a seventeen-year-old mage apprentice, Rielle and her master, Leigh, go on a mission to save a viscount from a town under mercenary control. But something goes wrong and the excitement explodes! The characters are well depicted, and there was good interaction between
Georgiana
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
~AUDIO REVIEW~

Rielle is a strong-minded and skilled mage. I like that she is so adamant about doing what is right. I was rooting for her from the very beginning.

For a short story this was fast-paced and I really enjoyed it. There were mages, paladins, magic, fighting, and a small amount of romantic relations. I can’t wait to find out what happens next.

Miranda Honfleur knows how to pull me in and keep me captivated the entire time.

Amanda Leigh Cobb does an amazing job with bring the characters
J
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short, fast paced prequel to the series Blade and Rose. We are introduced to heroine and mage apprentice Rielle as well as her master who are on mission - their views on the motto "Save one save many" differ and so their mission becomes more complex. I love Rielle's strength of character and her will power to defy those she cares about to do what she feels is right. I was a bit lost as this was so fast paced, I felt that there was a lot of info being forced into this prequel but overall I thin ...more
Catrina
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fantastic introduction to the Blade and Rose series. I loved how strong the heroine, Rielle, is, and I can’t wait to jump right into the series. (I suspect there is some key background information presented in this short story.)

I enjoyed the tale that Miranda Honflaur has woven, and I’m looking forward to seeing where she takes these characters.

Amanda Leigh Cobb did a nice job with the narration. No complaints here!

I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and I have voluntaril
Izzybear
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I listened to Blade & Rose first and loved it but there where a few things I wanted to know more about. This book gives more insight into Rielle and Jon’s first meeting as well as the relationship between Rielle and Leigh. You don’t have to listen to Blood & Rose first to enjoy this book though. This short story introduces Rielle on a battlefield where she shows not only courage and valor but also passion and desire to protect the innocent. She such a strong and wonderful character. I look forwa ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, own-digital
Rielle is an apprentice mage out to prove her understanding of the principal "Save one, save many." While her master and secret boyfriend sticks to the plan to save a viscount in the walled city, Rielle throws her powers into saving the townspeople from burning alive and protecting the paladin guards trying to protect them from an invading group of mercenaries. If this is a sample of the kind of woman and mage Rielle intends to become, the rest of her series should be pretty spectacular!
Vicki DeVico
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of romantic fantasy
While fantasy is definitely my genre of choice, stories with romance as a major component are not. This book is well written and fast paced. It has interesting characters and the main protagonist is actually amazing. However, the romance in this short intro to Miranda Honfleur's series is not something that appeals to me. I'm sure I'm in the minority and have heard rave reviews of her works, so I highly recommend this book (and her subsequent ones) to fans of romance fantasy!
Krysti
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Miranda Honfleur’s Winter Wren is a quick (just under and hour) little bite into her Blade and Rose series. Listening to Amanda Leigh Cobb narrate was just as fulfilling as the story was. This novella gives us the story about Reille’s first encounter with Jon when she healed him as well as insight into her beliefs about people’s worth. This was truly a fun addition to the story. It’s listed as a prequel, but listening to it after book one, adds something to the overall story, in my opinion.
Susan
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good choice to read for fantasy enthusiasts who enjoy strong female MCs.

Won't give any spoilers but this book has a fun plot, features excellent writing and strong characters that the reader can identify with. It will serve as a great introduction for the reader to Ms. Honfleur's world and characters which are showcased in her trilogy.
Barbara
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My kindle app did not work for a few days so I started this short story that I recieved for free from the author and I am glad I did. This book gives us the back story between Rivele and he master which inclides their brief affair. This was important to the stories and I am happy Ms. Honfleur included in the series as this helped to understand both of this characters so much more
Scott
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The action starts quickly in this short and gives you good idea of what's to come in the series... I'm not one for alot of romance in my fantasy reads and this seems like it's going to have more than is for me but the short is well written and flows very well and I read this short in no time and I have book one waiting on me to start I think Miranda Honfleur has herself a winner with this series.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Gilded Rose (Celestials, #1)
  • Citrine's Monsters
  • The Queen of Cursed Things (Serpents and Kings, #1)
  • For King and Corruption (Dark Maji, #4)
  • Oath Taker (Kingdom of Runes, #1)
  • Twisted is the Crown (Dark Maji, #3)
  • Fate of Dragons (Dragons Rising, #1)
  • Orion's Kiss
  • Beyond the Shadows (Battleborn Mage, #0)
  • Visions of Fate (The Venatrix Chronicles #2)
  • Autumn's Reign (The Lochlann Treaty, #4)
  • Fortune Favors the Cruel (Dark Maji, #1)
  • Amber Vial (Mixologists and Pirates, #1)
  • Curse Breaker (Kingdom of Runes, #2)
  • The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Finding Their Muse: The Complete Series (Finding Their Muse #1-4)
  • Blessed be the Wicked (Dark Maji, #2)
I’m a born-and-raised Chicagoan living in Indianapolis. I grew up on fantasy and science fiction novels, spending nearly as much time in Valdemar, Pern, Tortall, Narnia, and Middle Earth as in reality. 🙂

I write speculative fiction starring fierce heroines and daring heroes who make difficult choices along their great adventures, all with a generous dose of romance.

When I’m not snarking, writing, o

Blade and Rose (6 books)
  • Blade & Rose (Blade and Rose, #1)
  • By Dark Deeds (Blade and Rose, #2)
  • Court of Shadows (Blade and Rose, #3)
  • Queen of the Shining Sea (Blade and Rose, #4)
  • The Dragon King (Blade and Rose, #5)
  • Immortelle (Blade and Rose, #6)