Start by marking “Winter Wren (Blade and Rose, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Winter Wren (Blade and Rose, #0.5)

Winter Wren

(Blade and Rose 0.5)

A mage apprentice and her master... Against three hundred mercenaries sieging a town.

Seventeen-year-old mage apprentice Rielle accompanies her master, Leigh, on a mission to save a viscount from a town under mercenary control. But mercenaries aren't the only newcomers to town. When the mission goes awry, Rielle must choose whether to follow her orders or follow her conscie
Published July 19th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Winter Wren, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Wren

Emily West
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantasy was never really my "go to" genre, but Miranda Honfleur has changed the way I read. "Winter Wren" is a stunning debut, giving a glimpse into a magical, sometimes brutal world through the lens of a strong, skilled, compassionate heroine. With a fast-paced plot, fantastical elements, relate-able characters, intrigue and romance, I couldn't stop reading. The ending came all too fast. I can't wait for what Miranda Honfleur has in store - I will be waiting eagerly, on baited breath!
Katherine
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Sarah J Maas
If "Winter Wren" is any indication, you can sign me up for the whole series!

The battle lines were drawn the moment the story began, sucking the reader in to this stunning--and at times--brutal world. Rielle is a strong and talented protagonist who must choose between her values and what her bosses claim is most important. This struggle plays out in vivid definition as the plot unfolds. I found myself rooting for her right away, and her transformation throughout the story did not disappoint.

I c
Ryan Muree
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Game of Thrones and Sarah J Maas
This little taste of Miranda Honfleur's massive world is fantastic!

Already, Rielle is an unforgettable main character. She's smart, she's skilled, she's strong-willed. She's all this while keeping a level-head and not being flawless. That's right, she's not flawless, which makes her phenomenal. You root for her from the get-go. You immediately take her side and want to see her succeed.

Without giving away spoilers, the story is clearly setting up multiple relationships across the cast. It leaves
Elkin Hardcoves
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
In ancient Icelandic tales the appearance of the term Wren often meant hardship, or difficult decisions, and in this work, nothing could be truer. The heroin is confronted by a choice that often haunts all of us, hold onto our ideals and face censure, and possible repercussions from superiors, or take the easy path. This is the decision that lies in front of apprentice Rielle, as she accompanies her master on a journey that will involve more than just merely freeing a noble from a town controlle ...more
Angel Haze
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have one word for this PHENOMENAL!

Okay, so I can't stop at one. lol. You can't read something this amazing and not gush. It was only a short, read in less than an hour...and yet the impact it had on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !I keep telling people about the amazingly talented indies out there--some who can easily rival the greats! Miranda is one of them!

I knew I'd like it, I didn't expect THIS much!! The writing, the badass characters, the world...

JUST. UTTERLY. AMAZING!

What more can I say...except
Susan Cotter
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great intro to a new world. This isn't my go-to genre but I read it in one sitting. Enough chemistry to light up the sky, all the more interesting b/c Rielle and her instructor Leigh aren't supposed to be together. Non-stop action in this one. Didn't put it down until I finished. Can't wait for the next installment.
Catharine Glen
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romantic-fantasy
Great introduction to a debut series! Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Melinda Labuscagne
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked the book a lot. Rielle does not keep quiet for Leigh. She has a strong will and she knows right from wrong. I cannot wait for book 2.
Jessica Kingstin
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
To say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book would be an understatement.
When a friend recommended this short story as a quick listen to those of us that were members of the Sightless Readers of the Southeast, I’ll admit I was interested. When he personally said that those of us that liked romance fantasy would thoroughly enjoy it, I was more than just intrigued.

I must admit from the earliest sentences I found myself liking Rielle.

While there has been a push towards strong, well-rounded, complex
Emma
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Rielle and her lover/former tutor(/key to being recommended for the magical equivelent of a promotion) are on a mission. His goal: battle past mercenaries, save the viscount, save the world. Rielle's not so sure. What about the townsfolk and other assorted innocents? Since when have feisty, idealistic teenage mages been known to follow orders?

A fast-paced, action-packed story that introduces a whole host of concepts that make up the Blade and Rose universe. The complex magic system sounds fascin
Alexa
This is a prequel story to a 6-book series with a mage protagonist. Rielle, the protagonist works together with her master (and lover) Leigh to save the viscount of a city, but then the paladins arrive - soldiers who are immune to magic, and aren't a big fans of mages.

I got some serious Dragon Age vibes from this story, but given that I love Dragon Age and I love mages, that is definitely a good thing. Rielle was a kindhearted protagonist that I think I would love. Leigh (and by extension the r
The Mysterious Reader
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Miranda Honfleur’s Winter Wren (A Blade and Rose Short Story) is a wonderful prequel to her
Blade and Rose series. It’s do a great a sword-and-sorcery short story with a wonderful lead in mage apprentice Rielle, A great supporting cast and an adventure that turns out to be much more than what it first seems (and no I’m not going to tell any more and spoil things). This is a fun book and a great way to “test ride” the series. But for the fact that I’m literally dictating this review to my husband
Charlotte
I’ve been meaning to try Miranda Honfleur for while now, she pops up a lot in the different fantasy groups I follow and they’re the kind of bookworms that never steer you wrong. Equally, Blade & Rose is quite a sizeable work and, not being the sort to DNF, I’ve been a little intimidated about jumping into another wrist-achingly-big book series. This seemed the perfect opportunity to dip my toe and test the waters.

All in, it’s safe to say I’m ready to go swimming! Honfleur is 100% deserving
Emily Pennington
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
"Winter Wren" is a sword-and-sorcery magic and villains short story prequel to the epic-fantasy series Blade and Rose. It is full of action and suspense. The writing is excellent and will captivate the reader right from the start.

As a seventeen-year-old mage apprentice, Rielle and her master, Leigh, go on a mission to save a viscount from a town under mercenary control. But something goes wrong and the excitement explodes! The characters are well depicted, and there was good interaction between
Elizabeth
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, fantasy
Rielle is an apprentice mage out to prove her understanding of the principal "Save one, save many." While her master and secret boyfriend sticks to the plan to save a viscount in the walled city, Rielle throws her powers into saving the townspeople from burning alive and protecting the paladin guards trying to protect them from an invading group of mercenaries. If this is a sample of the kind of woman and mage Rielle intends to become, the rest of her series should be pretty spectacular!
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Fast-paced. A nice short story, though as I have not read the rest of the series, I did not really know any of the characters. I got a glimpse of them here, though it felt like I should know more than I did about the world, characters, etc. With the paladins and mages and the tension between them, I was reminded, oddly, of Dragon Age. 3.5 stars.
Susan
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good choice to read for fantasy enthusiasts who enjoy strong female MCs.

Won't give any spoilers but this book has a fun plot, features excellent writing and strong characters that the reader can identify with. It will serve as a great introduction for the reader to Ms. Honfleur's world and characters which are showcased in her trilogy.
Barbara
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My kindle app did not work for a few days so I started this short story that I recieved for free from the author and I am glad I did. This book gives us the back story between Rivele and he master which inclides their brief affair. This was important to the stories and I am happy Ms. Honfleur included in the series as this helped to understand both of this characters so much more
Larry Plemmons
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have kept Miranda's email concerning "Winter Wren" and finally got around to reading it! I really enjoyed the story and am looking forward to reading the series. I liked her protagonist especially because she cared so much for ordinary people and grieved any unnecessary demise. The story was very well written and deserves to be read!
Scott
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The action starts quickly in this short and gives you good idea of what's to come in the series... I'm not one for alot of romance in my fantasy reads and this seems like it's going to have more than is for me but the short is well written and flows very well and I read this short in no time and I have book one waiting on me to start I think Miranda Honfleur has herself a winner with this series.
KATHY BROWN
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was a quick read! Very fast paced with well written characters. You get so involved that it's a great letdown when it ends. You immediately look for the next book! This should be a fantastic series!
Donna
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Winter Wren was a really good prequel to Rose & Blade where it gives you and idea of what the politics are about with the mages and paladins. Also gives a little peek into Leigh and Rielle's relationship before the series starts.
Olivia Clark
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a beautifully written short story. Able to be read in one day, this little prequel has lead me hearing for more. It was just a taster tease, and I can’t wait to see what the rest of the series brings!
Zeinab Dh
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I chose to read and review this book. This is a sweet action filed book. I liked it. Everything was well written. I found the interactions between the characters great. I hope the next one is soon I am liking this series
Sandra
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 star Good short story about a mage apprentice earning doing what she knows is right rather than strictly following orders. Obviously an intro to Rielle's adventures presumably after she is no longer an apprentice. I am interested to read more.
Sandy
I thought it was very good 👍 I can't wait to get the next book.
Riayl
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Great prequel. Definitely left me interested in reading more of this series and author.
Diana Evans
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised with this book! Once I started, nope, gotta read to the end!! Enjoyed the twists and turns the characters had to work through.
Linda
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good start on a series. Found it totally captivating from first chapter. Looking forward to reading future books
Sheila Ryals
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Was pretty good. It's a prequel. But makes more sense if you read it after book one.
I’m a born-and-raised Chicagoan living in Indianapolis. I grew up on fantasy and science fiction novels, spending nearly as much time in Valdemar, Pern, Tortall, Narnia, and Middle Earth as in reality. 🙂

I write speculative fiction starring fierce heroines and daring heroes who make difficult choices along their great adventures, all with a generous dose of romance.

When I’m not snarking, writing, o

Blade and Rose (7 books)
  • Blade & Rose (Blade and Rose, #1)
  • By Dark Deeds (Blade and Rose, #2)
  • Court of Shadows (Blade and Rose, #3)
  • Queen of the Shining Sea (Blade and Rose, #4)
  • Blood of the Wolf (Blade and Rose, #4.5)
  • The Dragon King (Blade and Rose, #5)
  • Immortelle (Blade and Rose, #6)