Start by marking “The Lady Chapel (Owen Archer, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Lady Chapel (Owen Archer, #2)

The Lady Chapel (Owen Archer #2)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  1,375 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Owen Archer, the intriguing Welsh archer-turned-sleuth, is back-in another riveting challenge to Ellis Peters!

High summer, 1365-and York is glorious with pageantry for the Feast of Corpus Christi. But wool merchant Will Crounce, who acts in "The Last Judgement," meets his maker all too soon, his throat slit in the shadow of the great cathedral. When Crounce's severed hand
Published May 15th 1995 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Lady Chapel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady Chapel

Meg
Jan 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Affascinante a tratti. Peccato per alcune particine un po' noiose... Ma Archer non potrebbe diventare un pelino più intuitivo? ah, gli uomini! :P
Christian, Kelanth, Scala
Il segreto della cappella, in originale "The Lady Chapel", è un romanzo del 1994 della scrittrice storica statunitense, ma passa molto tempo effettuando ricerche a York in Inghilterra e in Scozia dove ha ambientato i suoi più noti romanzi, Candace Robb. Questo è il secondo romanzo della serie con protagonista Owen Archer.

Tutti i romanzi della serie "I misteri di Owen Archer" sono ambientati principalmente a York, nell'Inghilterra della seconda metà del Trecento, e hanno come protagonisti l'arcie
Jen
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Lady Chapel takes the title from a thread running through the novels about the real John Thoresby and his determination to complete the Lady Chapel for his tomb.

A man is murdered and his body left on the steps of York Minster--missing a hand. The Archbishop once again recruits Owen Archer to solve the mystery, but the body count rises. An orphan is in danger, the complicated reasons behind the murders involve the wool industry and the financing of a war, and Alice Perrers, mistress of King
Laura Edwards
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Enjoyable enough. One problem I do have and which will keep the books in this series from ever being rated higher than a three is the fact the culprit or culprits are so obvious from the beginning. Kind of takes any suspense out of the story.

Also, Robb makes a particular, annoyingly careless error time and time again. In numerous scenes throughout the story, a character will be described as sitting, only to be standing a sentence or two later and then sitting again after another sentence or two
Mfred
Aug 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
I picked this up on a free books shelf at a friend's house and after finishing it, I ran out and got all of the Owen Archer books.

This book is entertaining for the suspenseful plot, natch, but also engrossing for the great characters and vivid setting. Robb does an amazing job of bringing medieval England to life.
Marie Chartier
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Second book of Candace Robb's Owen Archer serie, The Lady Chapel bring us once on the trail of muderers in medieval York. Owen Archer must find the killer of two wool merchant. Political and court intrigues play a bigger part in this volume as the world created by Robb gets more alive. There are some unnecessary parts and the mystery is a bit convoluted, but a nice read notheless.
Bonnie
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting book because of the mystery as well as the historical details. I like that Ms. Robb explains the history behind the story.
Chad
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a reread. I'm rereading much of the series in anticipation of getting to the last few books I never read when I got them.
Plum-crazy
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book I've read in this series & I'm glad to say I enjoyed encounter with Owen Archer as much as the first. This is a well written atmospheric mystery - you can almost smell the medieval air & feel the bite of the wintry winds...poor little Jasper out in that cold!

It was interesting to learn more of Thoresby's character in this book...I'm thinking there's more to him than first meets the eye & I look forward to meeting all these characters again in the rest of the
Pinko Palest
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Absorbing story, but shame about some of the characters. I felt that the book would have been far far better without any love interests. Owen and his wife together made me cringe. The story though is very robust
Sandy Shin
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Avery good tale set in Edward II reign, dealing with the court intrigue and how commoners lived. Not for the squeamish, there is murder and torture (minimal) and an ambiguous ending which is, surprisingly, satisfying.
Jen
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This author does such an amazing job of describing the setting and times of this story that I still can see this book in my mind even though I read it 2 years ago.
Cindy
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
The mystery wasn't very difficult at all, but the history was quite interesting.
Patsyann
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The second book in the Own Archer mystery series only continues my addiction to historical mysteries.
There is the feel of medieval York, England in this book. I could see it, feel it, smell it. Walking the streets of York, being in the archbishop's rooms and the apothecary of Owen and Lucie.
Owen is the strong male character, Lucie, even though she is his wife and partner, still has the feel of a secondary character. I feel that maybe, Lucie can help solve the murders that will always be a part
Patty
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Owen Archer series. The first, The Apothecary Rose introduced the reader to the main characters and set up our hero, Owen Archer as a 14th century spy and solver of murders and mysteries. His wife Lucie is quite experienced with herbs and healing and the two of them make a great team.

In this novel murder is a foot or perhaps I should write at hand. A man is murdered and most of him is left on the steps of the York Minster but his hand is found elsewhere. Only one s
Cheryl Brandt
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the second in a series of mysteries starring Owen Archer, form Captain of Archers for the late Duke of York, who has lost an eye and now investigates mysteries for the Archbishop of York, and Lord Chancellor of England.

We start with a young boy witnessing a murder of a friend, retuning home to find his mother dying, and realizing that he may be the next murder victim.

This is a very convoluted and twisty mystery, with some time spent the the Archbishop/Lord Chancellor in court with the Ki
Teri-K
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really good medieval mystery. One of the reasons I like this series is that it includes the church, politics, and well-to-do people but it's mostly about merchants, musicians, everyday soldiers and people of that class. You don't get a lot of medieval books like that, that give yo a feel for how ordinary folks lived. I also like that Lucy is independent, intelligent, and a bit strong-willed. Perhaps she's anachronistic for that time, but I suspect there have always been women like that and men w ...more
Kris
First off: for a "cozy" mystery this book has a horrifically high body count at least 9 people dead, 6 of them murdered, 1 executed, 1 suicide, 1 in childbirth; 3 hands cut off and 2 people beaten nearly to death.... yeah, what?

The book was not quite the breezy read that the first book was, and lacked the melodrama that made The Apothecary Rose a lot of fun. Now we have moved into medieval political machinations, bribery, and financing an unwanted war. Ms Robb's attempts to shoehorn in Alice Per
Argum
A fair amount of time elapses between the first and second book. Owen has married and is still serving his apprenticeship until the Archbishop calls in a favor. During a major celebration a visiting guildsman is killed and his hand removed in sight of a young boy. The hand is found in his friend's room at the inn. Owen is set to investigate. The plot reaches high levels, more bodies drop, and more threats are made. Did not figure it all out, don't think I was trying I was just caught up in the s ...more
John Lee
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
The second in the series following Captain Owen Archer and an easy read.
However, it wasnt until I read the Authors Notes at the end that I think that I fully understood the motives of all those involved in the story.
I fear also that because some of the plot escaped me, I did not get a sufficient grasp of several of the characters. One of my Character maps would have certainly made a good reference point for me during the read.
Nevertheless, I still enjoyed the book and have the next in the series
Lisa
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, mystery
The second in the Owen Archer mystery series. Some time has passed since the first book. Owen is enjoying his apprenticeship as an apothecary, but he still owes allegiance to the Archbishop which propels him, reluctantly, into solving another murder. The fact that he has doubts about his abilities as a detective makes hims a more likable sleuth.
The author does a good job of fleshing out the 14th century world in which Owen lives. Some of the motivations seem awfully modern, but perhaps people ha
Kathleen Orr
A bit confusing

I was able to follow the murder/solution plot, but I think there may have been a bit of an assumption about the reader's knowledge of Edward III and his wool-war financing. The author's afterward made the story make more sense. But it was only $2.99, so I didn't fret the confusion. Archer is a decent hero - humble, yet competent. Lucie has yet to really be developed, but she seems to make a fitting match for Owen.
George
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
#2 in the Owen Archer former Captain of Archers in the English army mystery series set in 14th century York. Starts in summer, 1365 and ends in the winter. The Archbishop again calls in Owen Archer to help him solve 2 similar murders of people in the wool merchant guild. The investigation involved a number of people whose story lines intersect with the murders as well as all the way to thew highest levels of the English court.
Kathy
Oct 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
I had previously purchased this and returned and now I repeated the action since I did not recall. While I did enjoy several of the books in this series this one is not for me. Note to self: Do not buy this again. Archbishop gross out...that should help me remember. If I missed any of the series it is probably because I bought and returned so I will just mark them read so I don't make this mistake again. Done!
Tomgirl deni
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series, read the first one after a recommendation when I worked in libraries. Set in medieval York, which I know well, and in this book, Windsor which I'm getting to know. The story is good and I like all the characters, I've got two more of these to read, an inheritance from my mother in law, Joy
Sandy
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Owen Archer, has gotten married to Lucie but is still called upon by the Archbishop of York to investigate a murder in the yard of the Minster. It soon becomes apparent that there is more going on here and it seems a young boy witnessed the crime and has disappeared. Owen has his hands full this time.

I enjoy the story and thanks for sharing!
Bonnie
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
This second book of this series involved more real characters and events than the previous two, which mostly involved the main fictional characters. I like the way the main characters, real and fictional, are developed. And the mystery, which is wrapped around true events and people, is well written.
Lesley Christien
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Missing hands and a King's mistress

The second book in the series and the characters are more engaging and the mystery is complex and fraught with moral struggles and courtly corruption. I am falling in love with Candace Robb's deeply researched York and her wonderful cast of people. She makes the reader care about her people and that makes for great reading!
Shirley
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lot of twist and turns. Too many players. Happy endings for those who deserved them and nasty ends to those who deserved them mostly. Should be read in order for sure. Figured out the mastermind.
Mary Kay Kare
Somewhat better than the first, but still a little off in treatment of gay characters. And I'm not sure she really understands what it was like to be ordinary in that period. There seems to be an awful lot of drinking of expensive brandywine. I'm more willing to read dome more though.
  • The Bishop's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #4)
  • The Ravens of Blackwater (Domesday, #2)
  • By Murder's Bright Light (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #5)
  • The Heretic's Apprentice (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #16)
  • The Weaver's Tale (Roger the Chapman, #3)
  • The Subtle Serpent (Sister Fidelma, #4)
  • Ashes of the Elements (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #2)
  • The Red Velvet Turnshoe (Abbess of Meaux, #2)
  • The Devil's Door (Catherine LeVendeur, #2)
  • A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4)

Storyteller, mythweaver, author of the Owen Archer, Kate Clifford, & Margaret Kerr mysteries. Primary residence, medieval York.

I blog about writing, medieval history, writing women's stories, and feature new scholarship in my field at ecampion.wordpress.com, and share loads of medieval news, folklore, and whimsy on my facebook page, Candace Robb
More about Candace Robb...

Owen Archer (10 books)
  • The Apothecary Rose (Owen Archer, #1)
  • The Nun's Tale (Owen Archer, #3)
  • The King's Bishop (Owen Archer, #4)
  • The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, #5)
  • A Gift of Sanctuary (Owen Archer, #6)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • The Cross-Legged Knight (Owen Archer, #8)
  • The Guilt of Innocents (Owen Archer, #9)
  • A Vigil of Spies (Owen Archer, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99