Start by marking “Deal Breaker” as Want to Read:
Deal Breaker

Deal Breaker

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  20 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews

From one-night-stand to new boss...

Ambitious management consultant Ellen Kennedy is going places. But when last year’s one-night-stand shows up in her office as her new manager, it threatens everything she’s worked so hard for. Even worse, she’s not quite sure that one night was enough.

Alex Broadhurst has private reasons for moving to Melbourne, and he has no intention o

Kindle Edition
Published September 1st 2017 by Escape Publishing - Harlequin Enterprises, Australia Pty Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Deal Breaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deal Breaker

Sophia
Office romance, office politics, and complications bring two people together who needed to find each other. It’s been a while since I read a book set in the office and I enjoyed the Australian city setting. It was heartwarming, humorous, and engaging.

The story jumped in with the heroine and her co-workers anticipating the change when a new boss is brought in and he's cleaning things up and not taking excuses. Ellen Kennedy and Alex Broadhurst experienced sparks from the beginning even when she w
Pelusa Rivera
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Received an ARC for my fair review for netgalley. We meet Ellen who works in a male-dominated field as management consulting. Her boss Alex, ends up being the one-night stand she has a year ago. They both try to ignore the chemistry then have, but eventually give in to a friends with benefits situation, but of course that changes with the amount of time they spend together. Of course, problems arise, will love be able to keep them together? Find out, you will enjoy
Maureen
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
When I read the book description of ‘Deal Breaker’ a view weeks ago, I knew this was a book I wanted to read. It just sounded like a perfect romantic read.

In ‘Deal Breaker’ we meet Ellen Kennedy, an ambitious young woman who really wants to make it in her line of work. Ellen worked really hard to get where she is now, so when her new boss happens to be the guy she had a hot one night stand with months ago, she is in complete shock. Understandable! I really enjoyed reading about Ellen. She was f
Coral
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
ARC received from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a fair review

Plot: 4.5/5
Characterisation: 4/5
Prose: 4/5
How much I enjoyed it: 5/5

I went into the book with not much expectations, half expecting it to be a forceful HP-like (Harlequin Presents), another half expecting it to be erotic romance type. What I got was a sweet romance that was so much better than what I had assume.

Ambitious Ellen had a career plan to follow until she got a new boss who just happens to be her one-night stand
Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog)
Deal Breaker isn't exactly what I expected. It's a bit of a disappointment, to be honest. I love the forbidden, office romance trope. It usually conjures up sexy, naughty, forbidden trysts in offices, supply closets and conference rooms. Unfortunately, Deal Breaker did not live up to this. It lagged, A LOT throughout the book and the romance/relationship of the story was lost in all the minutiae of the business deal Ellen and Alex were working on.

Ellen and Alex had a hot one night stand about 8
Rachel
**ARC provided from Netgalley in exchange for an honest and voluntary review**

I really enjoyed this book! It's my first from this author so I didn't know what to expect going in and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it.

Ellen is the office superstar, she's strong, confident, smart and stands up for what she believes in. After a tough childhood, Ellen has made a comfortable and secure life for herself. When an office scandal strikes, Ellen isn't prepared for the blunt, strict and domi
Siany
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
I feel conflicted about this one.
On one hand I liked it, and on another I absolutely didn’t.

It starts off with Ellen walking into her new manager’s office. Upon entering she realises she had a one night stand with him about 8/9 months previously and it looks like he has no idea who she is. With some awkward exchanges and flirting they realise they want each other too much to ignore their feelings.

I think, for me, I feel conflicted because I really didn’t like Alex. He came across mostly pompous
Maria
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review"
This story might have the most original obstacle to the couple’s HEA that I’ve ever read in romance novels (but of course Alex and Ellen, both management consultants, have their HEA). I really liked how the author built the suspense on Alex’s secret; and this dimension adds to his personality and depth as a character.
I also liked the insight on the consulting industry, even if there were some very murky waters there and I’m not sure
LJT
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of office romances and Deal Breaker by Marnie St. Claire is a terrific addition to the trope. This story takes place in the land down under and I enjoyed the Melbourne landscape, as well as the local colloquialisms.

Ellen Kennedy works very hard in the male-dominated field of management consulting. Her new boss is Alex Broadhurst, who just happens to be the man she spent an incredible night of passion with a little less than a year ago. Ellen and Alex still share a lustful spark,
Mags
3.5☆

This was an enjoyable story. That did catch my attention but unfortunately it didn't hold it throughout.

Although not because the actual story was particularly bad in fact for the most part I thought it was good. I just felt it got bogged down with the work project storyline and therefore the romance got a little left behind.

That being said though what romance there was, although slow to start was sweet and easy to read. Plus the characters were likable. They just didn't really excite me or c
Holly Parker Fletcher
I love the way the author brought love and passion into Alex and Ellen's relationship. A twis in the plot, the unexpected "guest" In Alex's life, had be reading into the night to know more. I wasn't sure Ellen could get past Alex's choices outside of work and his commitment to honor his past.

Ellen's passion and love of people, turns the workplace and her history into guessing game. Both Alex and Ellen had a past they couldn't move on and made their future look weary.
Mady
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book! This is romance with plenty of time spent getting to know the characters and their story. I found Ellen to be so funny, as well as taking no BS when it comes to her career. A great mix. Her romance with Alex progressed at a great pace for me, with very real obstacles they had to overcome. I would totally recommend this book.
Kris
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Roxanne
Aug 02, 2018
Lilly Gilbert
Aug 05, 2017
Tet
rated it did not like it
Sep 14, 2017
Sep 17, 2017
Josephine
Sep 25, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf
Interesting premise but I wasn't at all engaged by the writing style, the pacing was incredibly slow, and I found it difficult to connect with the hero and heroine. This was a DNF for me.
Tara
Ellie Murdock
Dec 23, 2017
Carey
Sep 02, 2017
Marnie grew up in country NSW but now lives in a lovely leafy suburb of Melbourne with her husband and two gorgeous daughters. Apart from a deep and abiding love of all things romance, she has a wide array of embarrassing and/or unusual passions including playing Bridge, growing succulents, visiting deserts and getting down on the Zumba floor. No points for guessing which passion is the embarrassi ...more