Start by marking “Bloodleaf (Bloodleaf, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bloodleaf (Bloodleaf, #1)

Bloodleaf

(Bloodleaf #1)

Aurelia is a princess, but they call her a witch.

Surrounded by spirits and burdened with forbidden magic, she lives in constant fear of discovery by the witch-hunting Tribunal and their bloodthirsty mobs. When a devastating assassination attempt reveals her magical abilities, Aurelia is forced to flee her country with nothing but her life.

Alone and adrift in an enemy kin
Published March 12th 2019 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Bloodleaf, please sign up.
Crystal Smith Capturing the exhilarating/terrifying/heartbreaking experiences of young love is one of my favorite things about writing (and reading) YA! As it is su…moreCapturing the exhilarating/terrifying/heartbreaking experiences of young love is one of my favorite things about writing (and reading) YA! As it is such a common component of growing up and the human experience overall, it is now and will likely remain a prevalent theme in YA. That's not to say there isn't fantastic non-romantic YA out there (there definitely is! See Rosaria's link) but my advice is, if you can't find the book you want to read, go write it! There may be someone else out there waiting for it, too. :)(less)
Crystal Smith I'd give it a PG-13 rating, but more for bloodshed and loss and some horror elements and some traumatic situations; it's not sexually explicit.

Start your review of Bloodleaf (Bloodleaf, #1)
Karen
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, romance, fantasy, ya, adventure
I can already see that I might be in the minority, but I really wasn't impressed by this.

It was certainly original to a degree. There are two kingdoms, Renalt and Achleva; the former is basically run by the Tribunal, which executes witches and hates magic, and the latter is where magic can be used a bit more freely. Aurelia is a princess of Renalt, destined to be wed to the sickly prince of Achleva as part of some long-time truce between the two kingdoms. Suffice to say, she's not too pleased a
Faith M ✨
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of A Darker Shade of Magic and Throne of Glass
I received this ARC from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt via Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of this book in any way. All quotes are taken from the uncorrected proof and are subject to change.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH This was actually really good, like wow

Obligatory Summary

Aurelia is a witch, and she is hated for it. All her life, she's been threatened because of her power, feared for her ability, and one day, just as she's to leave fo
Carrie
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Bloodleaf by Crystal Smith is the first book of a new young adult fantasy trilogy by the same name. This series is another that is actually a retelling, however, with this one it’s a story I’m not familiar with myself, the Grimm Fairy tale “The Goose Girl” so I went into this one reading it more as an original story myself.

While Princess Aurelia is an heir to the crown in her country she’s always had a quirky personality about her, this comes from Aurelia’s ability to see the ghosts around her.
Candace Robinson
ARC received via publisher!
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children’s Book Group, via NetGalley for an honest review.

Opinion:

Bloodleaf.

A Retelling.

Witches, Magic, Royals, Murder.

Two Kingdoms. One Arranged Marriage.

And a really big wall.

So……..

…is that it?

description

Bloodleaf is a retelling of “The Goose Girl” and tracks Princess Aurelia as she is forced to travel from her kingdom of Renalt to the kingdom of Achleva, after she is accused of being a witch. With an arranged marriag
Cindy ✩☽♔
Oct 15, 2017 marked it as to-read
8/4/18
Okay, so the release was in fact pushed back. But on the upside, OMG, I love this cover so much more than the previous ones that were shared/pitched! It's so pretty =D
---
4/28/18
Huh, the cover has been removed, I wonder if it means this release has been pushed back.
---
The cover isn't that appealing, but the full synopsis definitely is. I can already tell I am going to want to murder Lisette, back-stabbing bitch.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I hope they stay true to what happens to her in original tale cause a trait
Leigha
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was ok

A princess goes undercover in another kingdom after a failed assassination attempt in this young adult fantasy romance.

No way to break this easily – princess Aurelia is the dumbest princess I have ever met. This novel should be renamed to Aurelia and Her Awful, No Good, Stupid Choices. It seemed to me the author had the plot outlined, but she didn
Shelflove
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 03-2019
Wow! This book was incredible! I loved the character development and all those plot twists. It had me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end.
Allison
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-arcs
I really liked the characters in this as well (I loved both Aurelia and Zan) as the usage of magic. The plot was a bit slow towards the beginning, but it definitely picked up for me when Zan and the other characters began being introduced. The idea of this being a retelling of The Goose Girl was pretty interesting, and after reading over a summary of it, I can definitely see the connection.

I honestly thought that this was going to be a standalone rather than a trilogy, because the story ended i
Nana Spark
May 18, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: You like the premise and pretty covers
Recommended to Nana by: Faith M ✨
Shelves: 2020-reads
Faith, please don't hate me, but I'm about to tear this book apart. So just look away.

Thoughts 💭

My goodness this book was a roller-coaster ride. As I told Faith after finishing this:

"Not one of the Universal or Disney ones but more of the cheap ones you see at a carnival or something. They're kinda fun but lacking in something that just doesn't cut it."

That's basically how I feel about this. It has all the elements of a book I should love as a Goose Girl retelling but just didn’t hit it.

Pl
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
****4.5 Zan Stars****

Another complete book without a cliffhanger that I thoroughly enjoyed. The world building was spot on (not too much or too little description) along with characters that were easy to relate to and fall in love with.

Yes, the beginning was a bit slow but once it picked up....the action was non-stop with just the right amount of romance!
Celia McMahon
3.5

I'm not sure what I expected from this book. I saw the pretty cover and the intriguing synopsis and thought, why not? I don't even think I read all of the synopsis. Sometimes, going in blind can be fun. But that was not the case with BLOODLEAF.

This book starts strong. We have the princess witnessing a witch execution all the while, being one herself. Something weird like her family casts away female borns, yet they kept her...so, anyway she has to stay hidden because the kingdom hates her. I
Kat
Thank you to the Raincoast Books team for an ARC in exchange for an honest review

ACTUAL: 4.5/5 stars

Princess Aurelia is a strong character, who strives for justice across the kingdom, despite being hunted for her blood magic abilities. After fleeing to safety, she discovers a happiness she never had in the castle. But she is not safe for long as a terrible plot is unfolding, and she must choose between saving herself, and the kingdom. This book was one of my most anticipated books of 2019, and i
Alexa
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read with Rachel for Friends with ARCs!

Had no idea this was a Goose Girl inspired story until Rachel told me, but knowing things about the story didn’t deter me from enjoying it! Thought it was a fun spin on things, and I liked the elements added to it a lot. Looking forward to the next one!
Cassie
Dec 04, 2019 marked it as dnf
I’m DNFing this for now. I just have no desire to pick it back up. It had a strong beginning, but I’m 44% into it and just have lost interest in it.
Kacie
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bloodleaf was so good!! Also can we just take a moment and appreciate how GORGEOUS this cover is!! I can't wait to read Greythorne-I got an ARC last week woohoo!
Taylor
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked Bloodleaf, but unfortunately I ultimately didn't love it as much as I was hoping to. Despite the fact that this book didn't completely live up to my expectations, I'll definitely be continuing with the series. :)

My Rating / Score: 3 1/2 out of 5 Stars on Goodreads' rating system. 7 out of 10 on my own personal scoring system.
Emma
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy, magic
Soooooo...this started pretty well but as the book progressed my interest diminished. I found the story pretty predictable and the characters fairly shallow. The premise for the book was more exciting than the story itself.
The Nerd Daily
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Nathalie DeFelice

Bloodleaf by Crystal Smith is a promising fantasy about a princess who has run away from her homeland after an attempt to assassinate her goes wrong. Aurelia is a princess who sees ghosts and has a magic to her forbidden within her kingdom, one who hates her simply for who she is. Managing to escape death, she hides herself in a new kingdom, making new friendships, and developing the magic that she couldn’t cultivate before, alo
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
This had a very slow meh start for me that I debated reading past the first 50 pages but I'm glad I pushed through it. I love that YA is suddenly using the crap out of blood magic. I wanted just more of the magic itself though I did enjoy all the political maneuvering and the chase. The characters were okay. Would I spend $26.99 CAD on the book? No. I wouldn't have touched this if my Library didn't have the book and Audible had the audiobook as a daily deal. But I'll definitely read the sequel v ...more
Lia Carstairs
Ahhhh well that was kind of torturous.😣
Gretal
May 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
WHO TF WRITES A GOOSE GIRL RETELLING AND CUTS THE GEESE??

Let me get started by saying this was not a good retelling of The Goose Girl, nor was it even a good book. I had so many issues with it, and the decisions the author made in regards to retelling that story. This review has some spoilers because wow there are some things I had Thoughts on. So 1 star.

First, the briefest of explanations for why this isn't a good retelling of The Goose Girl.

- There are no geese. NO GEESE. In a retelling of The
Tabi  (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was far more afraid of those who hated sinners than I ever was of sin.'

Accurate rating: 3.5 stars

The last few fantasy books I've read have been like this book: more enjoyable than I expected, but ultimately nothing truly great. Sure, there are moments I really liked, plot elements that hit my desires just right, some interesting characters . . . but overall lacking that something I need to really love a book.
Arlene
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

This one took me by surprise. I really enjoyed the story. Well done!

“I’m just a girl...figuring things out as I go along. I’m just as lost and confused and lonely as anyone else.”

#icanrelate
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Bloodleaf
Series: Bloodleaf #1
Author: Crystal Smith
Release date: March 12, 2019
Cliffhanger: No
Genre:YA fantasy

I was very excited to read Bloodleaf, and I think the concept of the magic system has merit, but it didn't come together as well as I hoped it would. In parts, there are some fresh ideas, notably the poison/healing power infused in the bloodleaf plant and Princess Aurelia's ability to see spirits of the departed. However, the clichés outnumbered the unique aspects for me personal
Jennifer Parr
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, won
This was really good. I teared up a few times. I’m looking forward to the next one
Kayla Gallup
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating-5/5 Stars
Usually cover sucker me into making me want to read the synopsis and want to read a book. This is what Bloodleaf did. Plus, it has royalty in it and fantasy in it, so totally what I love.
Aurelia is a Princess and she is supposed to marry a Prince from a different land, but she doesn’t want to. However, people in her country are killed if they are blood mages, which is her biggest secret.
One night her secret comes out and she must flee with her brother and a few trusted people.
Katelyn Jayne
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Although I enjoyed the story it took a while to get interested in the book, as I almost stopped at 20%.

There were some blatant spelling mistakes and sentences that didn’t make sense. (Don’t know if that was from the digital edition or if it is in the print too).

It was interesting but I feel the ending was rushed, the buildup was great and then just kinda stopped being great. Dumped a whole bunch of info onto you and showed how it all tied together, and then was just done.

Was an easy read so w
Debra Elsner
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an interesting story, full of an interesting plot and really unique characters. I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
Joshee Kun (조수아)
The ending was info-dumpy, so I need time to process. :3
You Are Never Too...: Bloodleaf (Bloodleaf #1) - April 8, 2019 27 17 Apr 19, 2019 10:14AM

• Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Four Dead Queens
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
Crystal Smith is a writer, photographer, and artist who developed an early love of storytelling in a family of voracious readers. She resides in Utah with her high school sweetheart husband and two lively sons. When she isn’t writing or creating, she can be found re-watching Jane Eyre and Howl's Moving Castle or reading ghost stories with all the lights on.

*Please note, due to Amazon's review poli

Bloodleaf (3 books)
  • Greythorne (Bloodleaf, #2)
  • Ebonwilde (Bloodleaf, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Bow down, readers. We've rounded up the most popular royal books in the young adult fandom. How are we qualifying their noble pedigree...