Start by marking “My Dearest Hurricane: Love and Things that Looked like It” as Want to Read:
My Dearest Hurricane: Love and Things that Looked like It

My Dearest Hurricane: Love and Things that Looked like It

“To all the loves I've weathered on the way to where I am...and especially to the ones who keep checking to see if I've written about them.”

Morgan Nikola-Wren, author of “Magic with Skin On,” returns with her second poetry collection, an honest, amiable tribute to lovers turned strangers.
Paperback, First, 71 pages
Published August 28th 2017 by Luminarium Press

To ask other readers questions about My Dearest Hurricane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Dearest Hurricane

Heather
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Morgan is a wonderful poet, and I enjoyed this collection immensely!
Amanda Linsmeier
Shelves: poetry
i've combed my fingers
through each moment,
but still can't say exactly
when your name stormed its way
into my smile

Lovely collection of poetry by a recent favorite new poet. If you enjoyed her first book you'll love this, too.
I kind of missed the "story" (prose) aspect used in Magic With Skin on, and it took me a bit longer to get immersed but I still loved it.
Gorgeous poetry about love and more ♡
McKayla Debonis
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Absolutely amazing, Morgan’s words are words that will heal. I will always come back to this collection when I’m in need!
Marya Layth
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been a loyal fan of Morgan since her debut collection of poetry and prose, Magic with Skin On. My Dearest Hurricane just re-sealed a deal already written in ink. I devoured that one just as I devoured this one—that is, I savored each soul-strewn verse, and felt nourished by this book in a way that only Morgan can do.

She satisfies your appetite for heart-hitting love poetry, and something beyond it. When you read My Dearest Hurricane, you experience right along with her the messy phases o
Andreea Daniela
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of “My dearest hurricane” by Morgan Nikola-Wren in exchange for an honest review. However, this will not influence my review in any way.
“My dearest Hurricane” is a collection of poems. The book is short, about 70 pages, and really easy to read. I’ve read this book entirely in one sitting. It’s divided in four parts, as a main theme for the poems contained in those sections.

Morgan Nikola-Wren’s poetry is elegant, rich, full of emotion and has a dark twist to it. She wraps you ar
KayCee K
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My Dearest Hurricane is Morgan Nikola-Wren second poetry book I've read, and some how I loved it even more than the first book of hers I read. Even though this is a book of a collection of love poems I found that this book was more than just love poetry. She writes about many different sides of what's it's like just to have feelings. These pages are filled with lines that I enjoyed so much that I had to read them more than once, just because I liked them that much. "you were going to be the poem ...more
Isabelle
Magical fairy tale like writing

I loved Morgan's first book so I was very excited to read this. I think what I liked most about Morgan's writing was her storytelling and in this collection, the story was less defined.
The book is split into sections of the relationship, the breakdown of that love and the aftermath of healing. For me, this felt reminiscent of other collections with this format and theme and I wanted to be surprised more than this structure allowed.

The poetry still holds that magic
Irene
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
3.5/5 I LOVED the title. And I cried (just because I'm still brokenhearted).

at least, when people are broken
into this many pieces
they can put themselves
back together
in any shape they like

so i will sculpt myself
into all the words
i wish someone would tell me.

so let’s just get lonely
in each other’s arms.

i am not one to lose my heart
but if i did
the first place i would look for it
would be in your hands.

i’ve still got walls full of shadows
trying to shift into the shape of you.

i want nothin
Imogene Dacanay
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-reviewed

Few months ago, I started following Morgan Nikola-Wren in Instagram and since then I have been dying to get my hands on her poetry collections. Due to luck, I won in one of her contest. So the author sent me a copy of both her collection. One of the collections is My Dearest Hurricane. I immediately dived into it, and honestly, it was beautiful, full of emotions.

My Dearest Hurricane it’s divided into four different parts: The Stirring, The Downpour, The Wreckage, and The Repair. Each part gave o
Sophia Hanson
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You guys have probably heard me talk about Morgan Nikola-Wren's work before. I adored her first book, Magic With Skin On, and I was beyond excited to read MDH. Well, it did NOT disappoint! Morgan has such a distinctive style. I am not sure I can compare her to another modern poet, but that is a good thing. She is sort of in a league of her own, and deserves WAY more press than her works gets. Anyway, My Dearest Hurricane was an absolute gem. Read it and Magic ASAP.
Melanie Zhang
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this collection more than I liked its predecessor - I can only say I wished that it was longer. Inspired by the passionate rush, the heartbreak, and the subsequent self-affirmation involved in a new love affair, this collection is delicate but still powerful, with every word perfectly placed. Really lovely.
Rachel Nicole Wagner
Lovely

This is a wonderfully beautiful piece of work. Wow. I absolutely love it. I would most definitely recommend it to anyone who loves poetry and heartache.

Xo,
Rach
Luna Valentine
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, poetry
*slow clap*
Such a beautiful collection, I have actual highlights in it and omg, the flow of the language is magnificent.
Ioana Maria
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy from the author for an honest review and I honestly feel so honored because reading her poetry book was one of the best and heady and exhilarating experience I’ve had.
Her writing is elegant, her words beautifully woven, rich and she paints vivid images in your mind and heart with the simplest of words. It makes you feel love from beginning to end, it makes you love and cry and heal.
The book has 4 parts, the stages of love from the first stirrings love gives you to the moments w
Holly's Little Book Reviews
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I received this book, I read it instantly. Twice. Morgan Nikola-Wren has such a beautiful way of writing. From love to loss and pain and back again, these poems bare the soul of emotion. I highly recommend this book to readers of poetry and even readers who don't have a lot of experience with poetry. As a reader you cannot help but take something from this collection... her words will move you.
Ashly
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Morgan Nikola-Wren has done it again. I couldn't help but sit down and devour this little treasure while ignoring my lunch. Her words are warm honey against your tongue. Read her collections out loud to yourself, you won't regret it.
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is the perfect mixture of emotions and magic. The atmosphere that Morgan Nikola-Wren weaves with words is almost tangible and I didn't want to reach the end.
Jen (Reader In A Reverie)
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Morgan Nikola-Wren's writing is pure magic.

I am so thankful to have been sent a copy of her newest poetry book, My Dearest Hurricane, which is her new collection of love poems. I don't think I could pick a favourite, because so many of the poems in this book rooted themselves so deeply into my mind that I fell in love with each new page. The words have stuck with me after reading, and I can tell this is a collection I will read again and again. The words are woven so beautifully, and cried out
Colleen Samura
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book in less than an hour, and have spent the rest of my day pouring over the words again, absorbing their impact over and over. What a gorgeous poetry collection from one of the most brilliant poets in the contemporary scene. Somehow the poetess finds a way to put the most poignant of meanings into the simplest words, which makes it hit that much harder when they find their mark. The resonance of these poems will echo in my chest for years to come. What a privilege it has been t ...more
Rey
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Title: My Dearest Hurricane: Love and Things that Looked like it.

Author: Morgan Nikola-Wren

Publication Date: August 28, 2017

Start Date: September 1, 2017

End Date: September 1, 2017

5 Stars

Firstly, I would like to thank Morgan for sending me a copy of her beautifully written book. It was an honor to receive and an honor to read it.

My Dearest Hurricane is Morgan’s second poetry collection – centering on the idea of love and loss. Released in late August, the poetry collection follows the narrator
Ashley Jacobs
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, pick-me-up
This was such a powerful book of poems. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can’t wait to read more from this author. I had not heard of her previously, but she will definitely be on my radar going forward.

I recently suffered a huge loss in my life and found the following poem comforting. I know it was probably geared more towards romance, but I found it fit my situation as well.

“these are such beautiful
hearts we all have
so, let’s try to use them
for something other than
breaking

i say we
pour all o
Zoe Jones
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Honestly and Truly, Amazing. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone, I have probably mentioned Magic With Skin On at least once to everyone already. I literally just finished reading My Dearest Hurricane and reviewed it on Amazon and as I wrote earlier, Morgan's writing makes me firmly believe that I have been with a thousand different lovers and a thousand different selves due to the way she creates the most beautiful metaphors for Everything. Morgan deserves the world and more, she writ ...more
Emily Brown
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Intoxicatingly beautiful poetry!

Morgan Nikola-Wren has written a gorgeous collection of poetry which in the simplist words takes you on a rollercoaster of emotion. I devoured this book in less than an hour, each poem making me reflect I my own experiences. Like the scars from my own past, these poems will forever linger.

I am so grateful to of been apart of this journey. I highly recommend this poetess to anyone who wishes to read pottery they themselves can relate too.
Mirabelle
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a quick read but 99% of the poems struck me provocatively. She organized her chapters in the chronological order of a relationship—first the butterflies leading to the inevitable breakup. There weren’t many poems per chapter but I was in for a whirlwind. I’m inspired and will definitely check out Wren’s other books. It’s cool how Wren is friends with other poets (like Alison Malee) I admire. I’d recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading classic romance poems
Hira Chaudhary
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've only recently gotten into poetry, but this is honestly one of the best collections I have ever read ever. Each and every single poem was so beautifully written and spoke to my soul in ways I've never experienced before. I feel like I went on a journey of sadness and acceptance and love and loss through those words. I loved every single poem so much, and they were just all so deep and soulful and amazing and perfect
Jen Edwards
How do you even begin to talk about a book that had you crying after the 5th poem? Where you can't tab the pages because every page would be tabbed? Where each line pulls up something deep and raw inside of you that you can't help but look at it and the words and feel more understood for it? This book is beautiful and a masterpiece and I'm gunna go read it 70 more times now.
Eileen
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have nothing but pure love for this. The poems are dark, rich in imagery and just plain beautiful.
I picked this book up before her first poetry collection because it was cheaper, but I will buy anything from Morgan Nikola-Wren from now on.
Excuse me, that this review is so short, but my thoughts are still occupied with the poems.
M.F. Yasmin
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Love is
telling me
all the places it hurts the most
and trusting
my words not to wander there
when i think i want
to wound you

and i fear
i am not up
to the challenge"

My favourite poem from this collection, Nikola-Wren writes with such wisdom and raw imagery. The language is dark and alluring, I am absolutely in love with this collection.
Fox Kerry
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
You will get drunk quick on love, on eroticism, on quick hits of flesh on flesh, soul on soul, if you read this little 3 part Poem. She is high-caliber lyric-equipped. She paints with brush of the elegant and sophisticated. It's not all flash and fire, there are touches of sadness. You will think it is just 50shades at first, but then you will know she is quite a bit deeper.
Madison Rene'
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal storytelling and scene setting

More than anything i was in awe of the storytelling here - the voice and imagery were stunning. it was ask well written that i will continue to read it again and again😊
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Complete Poems of Stephen Crane
  • The Angel of History
  • It Starts Like This: a collection of poetry
  • All This Talk of Love
Morgan Nikola-Wren began writing poetry for various literary periodicals in 2013. She is a winner of the Pangaea Worldwide Poetry Slam, 2016, and has published three books of poetry. Her debut book, Magic with Skin On, received a Goodreads Choice nomination for Best Poetry Book of 2017.

Morgan ran away with her husband's circus for a year, but now works at a school library, which is not all that di
“you’ve got one of those souls
that ran across centuries
just to jump into your skin”
0 likes