Start by marking “The Way You Make Me Feel” as Want to Read:
The Way You Make Me Feel

The Way You Make Me Feel

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  5,628 ratings  ·  1,394 reviews
From the author of I Believe in a Thing Called Love, a laugh-out-loud story of love, new friendships, and one unique food truck.

Clara Shin lives for pranks and disruption. When she takes one joke too far, her dad sentences her to a summer working on his food truck, the KoBra, alongside her uptight classmate Rose Carver. Not the carefree summer Clara had imagined. But maybe
Published May 8th 2018 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

·  5,628 ratings  ·  1,394 reviews

Start your review of The Way You Make Me Feel
Cristina Monica
If you’re looking for a poignant YA contemporary book, step away.

I’ll direct you towards other new releases, such as A Girl Like That, I Have Lost My Way or Girl Made of Stars.

But if what you’re looking for is for a read that is going to take your mind off of your finals that are coming up, if only for a couple of hours, I welcome you to step forward.

This book makes food trucks look ten times more delicious than restaurants. I admit I never saw their worth before. It’s too bad there aren’t any
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
First of all, how gorgeous is this cover? Second, this was genuinely one of the most heartwarming novels I have read in a very long time, and I hope that every YA contemporary fan will pick it up and give it a shot!

I hated when my dad gendered the stupid truck. To retaliate, I called my boobs Brock and Chad, which my dad hated with equal fervor.

First of all, Clara is absolutely hilarious. She’s so awkward, and cynical, and weird, and her sense of humor is so similar to the way mine was at t
emma
*takes deep breath* I LIKED THIS SO MUCH.

I RARELY LIKE CONTEMPORARIES (EVEN THOUGH I READ A TON OF THEM), BUT I LIKED THIS SO MUCH.

I HAVE A HARD TIME WITH ““““OVERLY HONEST”””” (read: asshole) PROTAGONISTS, EVEN WITH CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, BUT I LIKED THIS SO MUCH.

I AM EXTREMELY PICKY ABOUT ROMANCES, BUT I LIKED THIS SO MUCH.

ICYMI: I liked this so much.

I did not expect to, really, but I did.

Lucky me!

This wasn’t a profound or life-changing read, but it was fluffy and sweet and fun and I promptly
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

DNF @ 15%

Do you like nasty, selfish, intolerant, mean-spirited, self-absorbed piece of shit heroines who don't care about anyone but themselves and take a savage glee in making everyone around them miserable? Then read THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL by Maurene Goo. Otherwise, throw this book in a fire.

It's been ages since I was repulsed by a book so much. The premise sounded amazing. I love food trucks. I love diverse YA. I like mischievous,
Yusra  ✨
Jun 17, 2018 marked it as no-thanks
you can be as diverse as you like but if you’re going to be ignorant towards a religion mmm no

bye
Heather
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary
3 1/2

This was just a light, adorable read! I loved the food truck aspect as well!!
alexandra
(sometime in 2017): I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THIS IS ABOUT BUT THE COVER IS SO WONDERFUL AND THE MODEL IS ASIAN AND I WANT IT NOOOWWWWW omg

(after finishing): this book is a love letter to LA and so much more I'M SO EMO. i literally cried while reading it; it was so unexpectedly emotional and beautiful. definitely one of my favorites of the year/ever. BRB CRYING.

FULL REVIEW TO COME
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
Okay, I have a confession to make: The main reason why I couldn't enjoy this book was because the humor was totally lost on me. I know so many other people found this book to be really funny, and it kind of makes me sad that I didn't. At all.Maybe this means I'm mature? MUAHAHA who am I kidding!?

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE
The heroine annoyed the heck out of me. I honestly can't believe Clara's just around my age. She made me feel really old and all grown up which I'm not at all. She was spoiled, br
Norah Una Sumner
tw// absolutely disgusting and ignorant misuse of pork

Adding the mentioned scene in spoilers.

(view spoiler)
;3
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
(bangs fists on glass) THIS COULD’VE EASILY BEEN GAY! the whole enemies-to-friends-to-lovers trope bw rose and clara was RIGHT there, miss maureen goo. but no, you just had to add in that unnecessary straight romance. the chemistry between rose and clara was, like, off the charts. fuck that hamlet guy.

i WILL be speaking to my lawyer about this 😤
monica kim
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-loved
this is such a perfect summer read! i adored the characters and the story. clara, our main character, is refreshing in her brashness and confidence. one thing that i love about this book is that it shows a totally different type of asian american family that’s more relaxed as opposed to worrying about achievements. in fact, that’s really not part of the story at all! i loved clara’s dad too! i loved that he was supportive and kind and never fell into that icky toxic dad trope of protecting his d ...more
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was so cute! I didn't love it as much as I Believe In A Thing Called Love, but it was still a fun contemporary. It'd be a perfect summer read. Despite my tendency to rebelliously love the YA absent parent trope, I really loved Clara's dad. Maurene Goo has a way of writing dad characters that I would literally die for. Clara's mom didn't receive the reprimanding that I wished she'd get in the story, but I think I was just projecting what I would've done. I loved that the book focused on the ...more
Stacee
I got sucked in by that cover and the synopsis and couldn’t wait to get to it.

I liked Clara. She’s quite an interesting character. She’s snarky and maybe a little rude, but there’s a lot of potential. I really enjoyed reading her grow from a bratty teenager to someone who knows themselves a bit better and is ready to make changes. Rose and Hamlet were the perfect complements for Clara and the scenes with the three of them together were fun. Hands down, Clara’s dad Adrian was the best.

Plot wise
Emer (A Little Haze)
This book could so easily have been dreadful because the MC Clara Shin just acted like the most up-her-own-butt tosser ever for lots of the novel... And believe me I wanted to slap her for being such a diva.

But something kept me reading.

And that something was character growth. Okay, we aren't talking about the best character arc you'll ever read but there was something so easy about this book. I got incredibly invested in the developing friendship between Clara and Rose. I think that was the h
Faith Simon
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a way that one expects, this is a cute, summer read featuring a cute romance and a feathery light plotline and execution to read through all in one sitting. However, this book delivered way more than I expected from the way this book is marketed. It's got the cute premise that resembles the TATBILB series, and the Korean background and diversity, which is of course always nice to see. It's great to see cute and happy books like these with POC main characters and background characters be so we ...more
Lisa
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, arc
I loved every INCH of this book. It's sweet and funny and full of pranks and pure joy. Clara has such a clear, distinct voice; there's no other character is YA lit like her right now, and I absolutely couldn't get enough.

This book has real depth too - why we hold things at arms length and why caring about this is so hard.

PICK UP THIS BOOK. You won't regret.
Very highly recommended.
Kelly
There are no white people in this story, first and foremost.

Second: this is a really fun and funny read about friendships, about leaning into your real emotions, into family and love, and into finding your first true love (even if you're not able to say you love them). Totally a feel-good read, and I loved how much Clara learned over the course of one summer. She lives with her dad who is young, yearns to see her young "influencer" mother, and then discovers how much of a badass her dad has been
Romie
In this huge city, there were three people in this truck who mattered a lot to me. I’d protect that little part of the universe for as long as possible.

This book was so adorable? Think of the sweetest ice cream you’ve ever tasted and had some chocolate on top of it, that’s how sweet. It just made me feel really happy and hopeful, I don’t know why, but reading about Clara made smile so much and I loved every second of it.

This story is about nearly 17-year-old Korean-American Clara, self-proclaime
mindful.librarian ☀️
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL is friendship, first love, father-daughter relationships and FOOD all wrapped up in a fast-paced and smart (and sometimes sassy) multicultural story in LA. I loved everything about this one and highly recommend it to fans of romantic comedies! And don't miss Goo's last book ~ I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE ~ I adored that one as well!
Acqua
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Way You Make Me Feel is one of the best YA contemporary romances I've ever read. It had everything I want from this genre: memorable characters, developed romantic and non-romantic relationships, diversity, a fresh premise and atmosphere.
It's been a while since I've read a book that made me smile so much, and it was exactly what I needed. It's a light read - I finished it in less than two days - and a well-written one.

What makes this book stand out are the characters. Clara Shin is a rebelli
Dahlia
Oh, that was delightful. (And amen to everyone who gave the heads-up that it has the hottest YA dad ever.) I'm so happy Goo's on the rom com-a-year track and I hope she never stops. This was fun and hilarious and sweet and no, I didn't always like Clara (A+ to Rose for the verbal lashing about cooking vegetarian stuff in a pan that had pork), but I did root for her and I definitely rooted for Rose, Hamlet, and, of course, Pai <3 God, that just made me so happy. What a feel-good read <3 ...more
chloe yeung ♡
i actually contemplated dnf-ing this because the mc's so annoying at the beginning, but i'm glad i continued reading because i ended up really liking the character development. (also, hamlet wong is the most adorable cinnamon roll who must be protected at all costs ❤)
Lucy
Jul 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Oh wow. Where to even begin? This book was a trainwreck from start to finish. I’ve had this author on my to-read list for a while (mainly because of the gorgeous covers of her books) but I think it’s safe to say this reading experience has put me off reading any more from her.

The Way You Make Me Feel follows Clara Shin, a teen prankster. When she takes one joke too far, her dad sentences her to a summer working on his food truck with a classmate she hates.

The majority of the problems I have with
Tijana
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it

I really liked this one, and I don't understand why my mind doesn't allow me to rate it higher.

The story was unique, the characters were somehow different and, even though plenty of people won't agree with me, I thought Clara was lovable. She reminded me of Georgia Nicholson, even though our MC here is her Asian, bit less hilarious and somewhat more privileged version.
And yes, she would come out as bratty at times and some of her actions were pretty extreme, yet I enjoyed her company no
Eliza
What an adorable sweet book this was so cute and fluffy contemporary this was this is exactly what I need it right now
Laura (bbliophile)
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-releases
The Way You Make Me Feel is an incredibly good and adorable read, full of yummy food descriptions, and it should definitely be on your summer TBR.

I didn’t have very high expectations going into this book, since I Believe in a Thing Called Love, Goo’s previous book, was a 3-star read for me. This book sounded a bit more exciting (I love it when books have food-related elements) but I definitely didn’t expect to love it as much as I did. I was sucked into the book from the start, and finished it i
Kate
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
4/5stars

This was GREAT! I loved it! I'm so happy I ended up preordering it and reading it ASAP (even if it took me a bit to get through with how busy I was).

The biggest thing I enjoyed was how completely different from her first book this was and how unique it was. I feel like many YA contemporary authors write just the same story over and over and recycle characters - but all of these characters were fresh and new and different!

I also REALLY enjoyed the conversation that was in this book about
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
ARC received from NetGalley for an honest review

DNF - 10%

Sorry, Clara is too much of a brat to me and I just couldn't like her character. I'm one of those people that has to like the character in order to like the book. The prom scene just did me in, it was too much, too... I don't even have words, I just thought it was stupid. I wish we could've followed Rose as I actually liked her a lot and would've kept reading if we had been following her.

As always, I don't star DNFs because I feel that's
Alexa
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL! It was charming. It was sweet. It made me laugh. It (totally) made me cry. It was also surprisingly easy to relate to, especially considering the fact that Clara and I are very different people. It was just such a great read, and I'd highly recommend checking it out!
Janani(ஜனனி)
Wow!

Her father is THE BEST.

Why do i like the bond between Clara and her dad more than her bond with the love interest?

• Always Never Yours
  • American Panda
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
  • From Twinkle, with Love
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Stay Sweet
  • I Love You So Mochi
  • If I'm Being Honest
  • Serious Moonlight
  • Starry Eyes
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Maybe This Time
  • Emergency Contact
  • Save the Date
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • Fake It Till You Break It
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Famous in a Small Town
Maurene Goo grew is the author of several acclaimed young adult novels, including I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE and THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband and cat, Maeby.

Articles featuring this book

Caroline Tung Richmond is an award-winning YA author and the program director of We Need Diverse Books. Run by authors, librarians, teac...
“The first woman president has to happen in my lifetime, or I'm going to light this entire planet on fire.” 9 likes
“It's easy not to be disappointed when you're always wading in the shallow end of feelings.” 6 likes